What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (2 Viewers)

My dad got the 8 because they were out of the 9s at the store, and it's an amazing picture.  I'm all in on these. Looks like I could get a 65" for around 1800 at the moment. 

Interesting that it's a "display" and not a TV.  Be sure you know the difference. 
I did notice that.  Even so, that mainly impacts OTA reception, and I've got an OTA tuner in my satellite receiver.  Not sure if that would make a difference w/r/t a 4K signal - are OTA stations going to be broadcasting 4K anytime soon, or would 4K signal be limited to Blu-ray and other similar devices?

I did notice that.  Even so, that mainly impacts OTA reception, and I've got an OTA tuner in my satellite receiver.  Not sure if that would make a difference w/r/t a 4K signal - are OTA stations going to be broadcasting 4K anytime soon, or would 4K signal be limited to Blu-ray and other similar devices?
Everything I've seen says another year or 2

Without a tuner, you wouldn't be able to get any OTA channels - 4k, 1080i or 720p.  For me right now that would be fine as I live just a bit outside of the broadcast area....but if a channels starts broadcasting in my area, or a move to an area that has broadcast OTA channels - then this TV wouldn't do anything for me.

P series is the only option for vizio.  If not getting OLED I would get the sammy 8000.  the Sony is good too though.  Anything you buy should be full HDR compatible.

Bumping for holiday 2017. Unless there is a better thread.

TVguys, is there a concensus on the top few models of various "levels" of televisions? Certainly an OLED with all the bells and whistles is at the top, but what about some TVs not quite cutting edge but will get the job done for us less fortunate FBGs that don't stroll about wearing a tophat and monacle?

TVguys, is there a concensus on the top few models of various "levels" of televisions? Certainly an OLED with all the bells and whistles is at the top, but what about some TVs not quite cutting edge but will get the job done for us less fortunate FBGs that don't stroll about wearing a tophat and monacle?
I got a Samsung Quantum Dot series last year and I like it, though I have a little buyers remorse about just not paying another 500-1000 and plunking down on the OLED. 

CNET does a pretty good job at testing and reviewing TVs. Best TVs of 2017 not surprised to see the LG OLED at the top but was pretty shocked to see that TLC as the best value, shame it's only 55". Also, not surprised to see Vizio M and P series on the list.

CNET does a pretty good job at testing and reviewing TVs. Best TVs of 2017 not surprised to see the LG OLED at the top but was pretty shocked to see that TLC as the best value, shame it's only 55". Also, not surprised to see Vizio M and P series on the list.
I picked up the TCL 55P605 a few months ago. Great tv for the price plus makes for a decent gaming monitor. Would  recommend if you want a Roku TV with 4k HDR, and Dolby vision

Maybe this could be the "official" 4K viewing thread.

I've picked up about 20 Blu Ray discs the last couple months and while most are terrific there are some titles not worth the money.

For example the Terminator 2 4k disc is a complete disaster and a waste of your money. Don't even bother satisfying your curiosity.

OTOH - Dunkirk and Pacific Rim are magnificent. 

For what it's worth, we're often watching television in a room with light from the outside windows (blinds not closed) and lamps on.  For those, it seems to me the additional brightness of the Samsung SUHD Quantum Dot sets is an upside.  On occasion we do watch TV in a dark room, and I could see the blacker blacks of LED being better there.  But it seems like these two things cancel out, at least in my mind, and don't justify the added $1k-$1500 in cost for OLED.
The OLED viewing experience is far better across the board (with the possible exception of color saturation/brightness) than the QLED from Samsung.  Had the latter for a month and then exchanged it for the OLED.  Couldn’t be happier with the decision.   Price was basically the same.  

Biggest upside: Black levels (night and day), light bleed and motion handling.  

Edit: just realized I replied to a post that was well over a year old, lol.  Whatevs.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Dufresne said:
Maybe this could be the "official" 4K viewing thread.

I've picked up about 20 Blu Ray discs the last couple months and while most are terrific there are some titles not worth the money.

For example the Terminator 2 4k disc is a complete disaster and a waste of your money. Don't even bother satisfying your curiosity.

OTOH - Dunkirk and Pacific Rim are magnificent. 
Did you sit through the entire Pacific Rim movie?   I would need 3 Ativan to do that.  

The OLED viewing experience is far better across the board (with the possible exception of color saturation/brightness) than the QLED from Samsung.  Had the latter for a month and then exchanged it for the OLED.  Couldn’t be happier with the decision.   Price was basically the same.  

Biggest upside: Black levels (night and day), light bleed and motion handling.  

Edit: just realized I replied to a post that was well over a year old, lol.  Whatevs.   
:goodposting: OLED is a better plasma. Can't justify the expense with both plasmas in perfectly fine order but man do I want to lol.

Just bought a Samsung The Frame TV.  Found it online for a ridiculously low half price deal and couldn’t resist.  Curious to see how it looks.  Using it to replace the TV over the fireplace in our living room.  We don’t watch a ton in there, so it’s the perfect place for this TV 

Just bought a Samsung The Frame TV.  Found it online for a ridiculously low half price deal and couldn’t resist.  Curious to see how it looks.  Using it to replace the TV over the fireplace in our living room.  We don’t watch a ton in there, so it’s the perfect place for this TV 
I'll look that up. Decided on Sony x900f right now 

I'll look that up. Decided on Sony x900f right now 
The Frame is awesome because it looks like a picture frame when you’re not watching TV.  Very cool.  Curious to see it in person.

I will post up the link.  I found it super cheap price, only place I found it like that.  I think it was PCMag or something.  And there was an extra 10% discount coupon I found.

The Frame is awesome because it looks like a picture frame when you’re not watching TV.  Very cool.  Curious to see it in person.

I will post up the link.  I found it super cheap price, only place I found it like that.  I think it was PCMag or something.  And there was an extra 10% discount coupon I found.
Awesome. Thanks. Moving into a new house in 2 weeks. 

Go here:

Already wicked low price, like half I’ve seen anywhere else:

https://shop.pcmag.com/products/samsung-the-frame-sl03-4k-hdtv-2018

And put in this extra 10% off discount code PCJV66P9

Gets you under $1k and free shipping; just over 1k for me with tax.  That’s the 55”.  The 65” is more, I just don’t have enough space for it in the built ins in our living room.

It’ll be delivered this week, curious to see. Note, I’m not one of these A/V audiophile nerds.  I don’t need to count the change in Tom Brady’s pocket.  I like other stuff, conveniences, etc.  All Samsung TVs have had great pictures for me — I’m sure the picture is great.  It’s not OLED or whatever, but great.  But the “Frame” aspect is really cool.  Hate seeing that big giant black panel on the wall in an otherwise formal room.  Curious to see if it’s just a gimmick or really works. 

Go here:

Already wicked low price, like half I’ve seen anywhere else:

https://shop.pcmag.com/products/samsung-the-frame-sl03-4k-hdtv-2018

And put in this extra 10% off discount code PCJV66P9

Gets you under $1k and free shipping; just over 1k for me with tax.  That’s the 55”.  The 65” is more, I just don’t have enough space for it in the built ins in our living room.

It’ll be delivered this week, curious to see. Note, I’m not one of these A/V audiophile nerds.  I don’t need to count the change in Tom Brady’s pocket.  I like other stuff, conveniences, etc.  All Samsung TVs have had great pictures for me — I’m sure the picture is great.  It’s not OLED or whatever, but great.  But the “Frame” aspect is really cool.  Hate seeing that big giant black panel on the wall in an otherwise formal room.  Curious to see if it’s just a gimmick or really works. 
:Blackdot:

Been considering The Frame for our remodeled home. Looking at the 2019 version which is OLED. Curious about your thoughts on this - is the art function just too gimmicky,  or does it look good? For a lower price I can get the same size OLED tv. Wondering if the extra expense will be worth it. I like the idea of not having a big black rectangle in the living room when it's not in use.

Been considering The Frame for our remodeled home. Looking at the 2019 version which is OLED. Curious about your thoughts on this - is the art function just too gimmicky,  or does it look good? For a lower price I can get the same size OLED tv. Wondering if the extra expense will be worth it. I like the idea of not having a big black rectangle in the living room when it's not in use.
I got the 77 LG OLED about a year ago. It also has the picture frame option. I put it on when people come over and they are blown away. It truly looks like a different picture hanging on the wall every 10 seconds. I love that damn TV. Watching the Masters in 4K was amazing.

rail said:

QLED, not OLED. Pretty big difference IMO.

Still love my Samsung F8500 (last of the great plasmas) but it’s 5+ years old now so it’s on its back 9.  Have had great luck with Samsung’s in the past and having a hard time getting my head around the fact that LG is making top tier TV’s but am seriously looking into them. 

Still love my Samsung F8500 (last of the great plasmas) but it’s 5+ years old now so it’s on its back 9.  Have had great luck with Samsung’s in the past and having a hard time getting my head around the fact that LG is making top tier TV’s but am seriously looking into them. 
OLED is the ####ing bomb

I have an 11 year old Samsung 720 plasma that I still love. Been waiting our next house for a new one. 

That's pretty surprising to me based on OLED being a far faster refreshing technology. Which models do you have?
I have the 65inch B7 and the 55 inch Q9.  I don't notice any lag in the sports.

In fact, the B7 in sport mode for football kind of sucks, TBH.  The ball hollows out (disappears/is erased) when it is thrown.  Super annoying.  Problem doesn't happen in Technicolor setting but I like it a bit brighter for sports.

The Q9 is awesome for sports.

I have the 65inch B7 and the 55 inch Q9.  I don't notice any lag in the sports.

In fact, the B7 in sport mode for football kind of sucks, TBH.  The ball hollows out (disappears/is erased) when it is thrown.  Super annoying.  Problem doesn't happen in Technicolor setting but I like it a bit brighter for sports.

The Q9 is awesome for sports.
:shrug: I have never used any modes for what I'm watching. I look up the settings on avsforums that people have after getting their display calibrated and then never change it.

Trying to decide whether to put the new bigger TV in the living room at the entrance of our new house or the bonus room upstairs that I could see us spend a lot of time in, too.  Anyone had to decide between those two? 

Trying to decide whether to put the new bigger TV in the living room at the entrance of our new house or the bonus room upstairs that I could see us spend a lot of time in, too.  Anyone had to decide between those two? 
Subtle TV in the formal living room near the entrance, obscene giant TV where you’ll use it more and it’s less an eyesore. 

Users who are viewing this thread