What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Summer Trip Out West - July 2014 (1 Viewer)

Have you been to CA? If not why isn't it on the itinerary? Lots of beautiful scenes here. Kids that age may become bored with just basically parks. They would LOVE Disneyland, Universal Studios, etc. At least add this to the trip or they may become :topcat: :cry: :sadbanana: :kicksrock: :wall: :sleep: :rant:
Are you serious? That would add an extra 14 hours of driving. Heck, I might as well boat on over to Maui since I'm out that way.

I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm about 99% sure I won't be doing any offroad jeep excursions like this on this trip.

My wife is -- how do you say it -- a wuss.

She got freaked out by the zipline video.
Okay then. If neither gave her a heart attack, you'd probably be divorced by the time you got over Imogene.
My last trip up the Shafer Canyon Trail in Moab almost ended in divorce.

It is also my last Jeeping adventure with my wife.
That slickrock traction will make you a little cocky.... #### is like velcro for tires. I got reamed good for trying to drive up a nearly vertical 16' ledge at one spot... prob was if we flipped back we likely would have gone over the 50-75' cliff that was a couple vehicle lengths behind us.

ME: :excited: :drive:

HER: :shock: :rant: NNNNO! (screamed angrily)

ME: :eek: :( (Backs down)

Have you been to CA? If not why isn't it on the itinerary? Lots of beautiful scenes here. Kids that age may become bored with just basically parks. They would LOVE Disneyland, Universal Studios, etc. At least add this to the trip or they may become :topcat: :cry: :sadbanana: :kicksrock: :wall: :sleep: :rant:
Are you serious? That would add an extra 14 hours of driving. Heck, I might as well boat on over to Maui since I'm out that way.
I am serious with the fact you have young kids aboard. If it were me I would eliminate some place(s) to fix the driving time if I had small kids, unless you plan on doing CA on another trip while they are still young to be excited about the places I mentioned.

I am serious with the fact you have young kids aboard. If it were me I would eliminate some place(s) to fix the driving time if I had small kids, unless you plan on doing CA on another trip while they are still young to be excited about the places I mentioned.
:lol: someone needs to look at a map of the USA.

Why? I suggested maybe eliminating some places, as in changing up his itinerary. If you were a child that age, wouldn't you rather have S. CA on the list with the entertainment they have for kids?? Parks are great and all but I would think of my kid too, especially if they've never experienced such things.

Why? I suggested maybe eliminating some places, as in changing up his itinerary. If you were a child that age, wouldn't you rather have S. CA on the list with the entertainment they have for kids?? Parks are great and all but I would think of my kid too, especially if they've never experienced such things.
No, I get what you're saying. And I realize I can't just drag the kids out to a different rock formation everyday and expect them to love it. That's why we're looking at horseback riding, ziplining, whitewater rafting, etc.

All that said, there is no possible way to go to SoCal on this trip and make any decent use of my time. Again, that would add 2 days of driving to a trip that already will have 4 solid days of driving.

All that said, there is no possible way to go to SoCal on this trip and make any decent use of my time. Again, that would add 2 days of driving to a trip that already will have 4 solid days of driving.
WHY WON'T YOU THINK ABOUT THE KIDS, RAY!!

Last edited by a moderator:
In light of some of the feedback, I'm going to map out an alternate itinerary that would include Denver, Rockies, Grand Teton, Yellowstone and see what that would look like.

In light of some of the feedback, I'm going to map out an alternate itinerary that would include Denver, Rockies, Grand Teton, Yellowstone and see what that would look like.
Yep if you're not getting a jeep and the group aren't serious bikers (and able to handle extreme heat), then 2 days in Moab would be plenty.

No, I get what you're saying. And I realize I can't just drag the kids out to a different rock formation everyday and expect them to love it. That's why we're looking at horseback riding, ziplining, whitewater rafting, etc.

WHY WON'T YOU THINK ABOUT THE KIDS, RAY!!
:o Boy you are flying HIGH aren't you. :lol:

I've done a lot of driving through this area. Your itinerary isn't bad. As people said it will be hot but if you are smart about things you'll be fine. One suggestion that others have made is to mix in sights in a different landscapes. It may make sense to know Moab / Arches off your itinerary. Arches is amazing and well worth the trip but you may enjoy it more if you try to pack in less. I would consider something like Mesa Verde. Gets you a different landscape and also a little historical interest along with the nature.

Your stop in Durango looks nice and it can be fun but I have found once you hit your main destination on a road trip and are on your way back, you just want to get home. Unless there is something very interesting worth visiting everyone is going to be tired, disinterested and just wanting to be home.

Finally, the best part of a road trip is coming across things you didn't even know about. Stop and check things out in small towns you drive through. Try to cruise state highways rather than interstates and you'll see a lot. It will take up a little more time but you see so much more.

I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm about 99% sure I won't be doing any offroad jeep excursions like this on this trip.

My wife is -- how do you say it -- a wuss.

She got freaked out by the zipline video.
Okay then. If neither gave her a heart attack, you'd probably be divorced by the time you got over Imogene.

That slickrock traction will make you a little cocky.... #### is like velcro for tires. I got reamed good for trying to drive up a nearly vertical 16' ledge at one spot... prob was if we flipped back we likely would have gone over the 50-75' cliff that was a couple vehicle lengths behind us.

ME: :excited: :drive:

HER: :shock: :rant: NNNNO! (screamed angrily)

ME: :eek: :( (Backs down)
The sad thing was the tension spot was just on the switchbacks going up into Canyonlands. It's a gravel road wide enough for two cars. Granted, there aren't any guardrails and you are going up the side of a semi steep cliff face. However, I once saw someone driving down it in a Crysler LaBaron. It's not exactly expert level off roading at that particular spot.

Yeah, no way on the adding LA to the trip. That's two more full days of the most excruciatingly boring driving ever. Unless your allow your kids to eat mushrooms, of course. And there are amusement parks everywhere. You don't need to go to LA for that. Whatever the case, California is its own trip(s).

Day 1 : Little Rock to Santa Fe, NM.

Day 2: Santa Fe

Day 3: Santa Fe to Great San Dunes - lunch, short hike, continue on to Buena Vista

Day 4: White water rafting, Royal Gorge Bridge.

Day 5: Drive to Breckenridge, lunch, alpine slide, shop, continue to Denver

Day 6: Rockies game, Denver attractions, Red Rocks, etc

Day 7 Drive to Boulder, drive to Estes Park and check out Rocky Mt National Park

Day 8 Drive to Steamboat Springs

Day 9 - Play in Steamboat, visit Hot Springs, relax.

Day 10 - Drive to Jackson/Grand Tetons

Day 11 - Grand Tetons

Day 12 - Yellowstone

Day 13 - Yellow stone

Day 14 - 1/2 blast home

Day 15 - home

The sad thing was the tension spot was just on the switchbacks going up into Canyonlands. It's a gravel road wide enough for two cars. Granted, there aren't any guardrails and you are going up the side of a semi steep cliff face. However, I once saw someone driving down it in a Crysler LaBaron. It's not exactly expert level off roading at that particular spot.
There's an off-road trail that goes from BLM land up the shelf an directly into the park?

Day 3: Santa Fe to Great San Dunes - lunch, short hike, continue on to Buena Vista

Day 7 Drive to Boulder, drive to Estes Park and check out Rocky Mt National Park

Day 11 - Grand Tetons

Day 12 - Yellowstone

Day 13 - Yellow stone

Day 14 - 1/2 blast home

Day 15 - home
:popcorn:

Thanks, GB. I'll look at this.

:o Boy you are flying HIGH aren't you. :lol:
Not as high as someone who thinks the best thing for kids on a long road trip is an extra two full days in the car :lol:
:o Reading comprehension, 0...

CA is a great state to visit and would be probably be a one trip visit if you want to see it all from north redwoods to yosemite to tahoe to sf to carmel/monterey and on down the coast to the sites in S. CA. The coast is beautiful here, but yeah, if you want to keep your itinerary pretty much intact, you won't make it here.,

Have you been to CA? If not why isn't it on the itinerary? Lots of beautiful scenes here. Kids that age may become bored with just basically parks. They would LOVE Disneyland, Universal Studios, etc. At least add this to the trip or they may become :topcat: :cry: :sadbanana: :kicksrock:
As a former east coaster, I can relate to overlooking the fact that stuff in the same "region" out west is a lot further apart than back east.

Ray if you are coming from Little Rock and looking at your first two days - you are in an RV - so you can have the kids a bit more spreadout - fix sandwiches and stuff and stay in RV - and between you and your wife should be able to log 12 hrs on that first day and get to Albuquerque, NM. It is a pretty straight shot on 40 and you can make some good time - RV traveling allows to take a little less downtime than car travel. More RV choices in Albuquerque than Amarillo - better food too. So split around 7AM and you would be there around 8 PM. Then Day 2 - is a 6 hour or so trip all the way to south rim - Flagstaff is OK - not a lot there - but maybe a stop at Grocery store for sure. It is long way from Flagstaff to the Rim - very deceptive to the mind that once you reach Flag you are at the Canyon - you still have a ways to go - so I would head there and you get in at around 1-2 in afternoon and be there for camp setup and and sunset.

Not sure how you planned on hitting Zion from which direction - but you can slip over to Monument Valley - one thing we used to do with our kids is give them some cash and let them buy Indian jewelry at the roadside stands there and see if they can strike a bargain or two.Then maybe head over to Mesa Verde(personally I would travel into the San Juans in Colorado as well - spectacular part of this country) - then back to Moab - then back Down to Zion then 40 and home.

Just another consideration

Also - Get your wife cool on driving the RV and let her take the wheel on the open stuff on I40/interstate drives - you would be surprised how far you can go as a tandem - while one sleeps and you need it to cover the territory in the West.

Holy crap, I just looked and realized what Shafer Canyon Trail is. We always just called that the Potash road. No idea it had a name other than that. Dear lord, I've had my mind blown every which way back there. Here's a pic of my gf from an overnight on Shafer Canyon Road. NOTE: That is a monolith that we had to jump to get out onto. I did a ####ty job of making that apparent in the pic.

And here's a very quick and easy loop right off 550 north of Durango. Has to be the lowest maintenance/highest reward off-road quickie on Earth. This was from my last trip out there when I had a few minutes to kill before meeting friends for golf.

Day 11 - Grand Tetons

Day 12 - Yellowstone

Day 13 - Yellow stone

Day 14 - 1/2 blast home

Day 15 - home
:goodposting: Now, that's a good looking itinerary. This trip would provide you with a lot more diversity than your current itinerary to Arizona and Utah, which almost entirely consists of desert red rock formations and canyons that are largely devoid of wildlife. My wife -- who is an avid outdoors person and National Park enthusiast -- said that she started getting bored of looking at red rock formations after a few days around Moab, Arches, and Canyonlands. Two straight weeks of that terrain in 100+ degree temperatures could get very repetitive for young kids. With the trip outlined by Drifter, you would get to experience beautiful Southwestern terrain in Santa Fe, a transition from desert to mountain terrain driving up from New Mexico through Colorado, the gorgeous Rocky Mountains in full summer bloom, and then the absolutely surreal terrain of Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons complete with incredible wildlife viewing experiences. Ask your kids whether they would rather look at rocks and canyons in a hot desert for two weeks or whether they would rather see a desert environment followed by looking at bears, bison, wolves, pronghorns, and eagles and hiking through fields of wildflowers with mountain steams and waterfalls, not to mention all the geysers and geothermic features at Yellowstone. I feel like practically any kid would prefer the latter trip. I think the Santa Fe to Yellowstone trip is far more memorable and interesting than two weeks straight in relatively similar terrain in dangerously hot conditions.

Not sure I can abide blowing off Utah altogether when you're that close and willing. I like that itinerary, but I'd spend the days prior to the Estes Park day doing Durango and Arches. You don't even have to stay the night in Utah if you don't want to. It's only three hours from Durango to Moab and then three from Moab to Glenwood Springs, where there are obviously hot springs and surely a place to hook up the RV.

Not sure I can abide blowing off Utah altogether when you're that close and willing. I like that itinerary, but I'd spend the days prior to the Estes Park day doing Durango and Arches. You don't even have to stay the night in Utah if you don't want to. It's only three hours from Durango to Moab and then three from Moab to Glenwood Springs, where there are obviously hot springs and surely a place to hook up the RV.
Yeah, you could easily hit Moab/Arches/Canyonlands for a day or two in the middle of your drive through Colorado. You could do some great summer hikes in Colorado along I-70 on the way to Utah, spend a couple days in Moab, and then cut up through Rocky Mountain National Park on the way north towards Yellowstone. It's the best of both worlds.

Not a bad idea at all if you want to put in the cultural element of Mesa Verde and add some Utah in. I don't know if I'd want to cut out time in Breck/Denver/Boulder where people can get a little civilized time, shopping for the wife, etc. A baseball game can be a great change of pace from 2 weeks of hiking around. As previously mentioned it's also going to be hot out in the desert in july.

It's a bit more driving but if I were to do that, I'd cut out Steamboat and Estes and go:

Day 3: Santa Fe to Great San Dunes - lunch, short hike, continue on to Durango

Day 4: White water rafting (not as good as Buena Vista), Chaco Canyon

Day 5: Mesa Verde

Day 6: Drive to Goblin State Park, check it out, back to Arches

Day 7: Morning in Arches, drive to Aspen, Vail or Breckenridge.

Day 8: Day in mountain resort of choice (you need a down day somewhere)

Day 9: Drive to Denver - Rockies game, Denver attractions, Red Rocks, etc

Holy crap, I just looked and realized what Shafer Canyon Trail is. We always just called that the Potash road. No idea it had a name other than that. Dear lord, I've had my mind blown every which way back there. Here's a pic of my gf from an overnight on Shafer Canyon Road. NOTE: That is a monolith that we had to jump to get out onto. I did a ####ty job of making that apparent in the pic.

And here's a very quick and easy loop right off 550 north of Durango. Has to be the lowest maintenance/highest reward off-road quickie on Earth. This was from my last trip out there when I had a few minutes to kill before meeting friends for golf.
That's a sweet pic. I've never stayed out overnight on that trek, always just do it in a day, but that look like it would be awesome and really freaky at the same time.

I wouldn't come to the Estes Park Area this year - they have a lot of work to do on the roads to get them back to 100% after the floods and I think you might find a lot of traffic issues.

I would forget coming anywhere near Denver if I was going to try and hit Yellowstone - you will want a bunch of time there - a lot. In fact for kids Teton is not all that much - great lakes, hikes , vistas and wildlife - but you get all of that and more in Yellowstone - but it is a 1000x more kid friendly and fun. Drive through Teton to the South/Grant entrance - but I wouldn't "stay" there with kids. Yellowstone is an amusement park for kids - Firehole river, Hot tubs at Madison campground, the waterfall hikes, wildlife, geysers and paint pots will keep you very very busy and kids will love it.

Rafting may be a bit much for a 6 year old in the Royal Gorge - if you want to float - I would do one on the Colorado through Gore Canyon - not as rowdy. Maybe the Animas in Durango on the easy float - but that all depends on water levels.

If you go to Yellowstone - one of our favorite kid stops is Thermopolis for the Hot Springs in Wyoming - especially after the hiking in Yellowstone on the way home.

If you time it right and come back through Cheyenne at the end of July - the Frontier Days Rodeo would be awesome for the kids - a Rodeo performance and a big Midway.

Sat down with the Mrs. Karpis last night and walked through some of these thoughts. Right now, I'm strongly leaning toward the route that would go:

- LR to Sante Fe

- Sante Fe to Durango (Mesa Verde)

- Durango to Moab

- Moab to Jackson

- Yellowstone to Denver/Cheyenne

- Denver/Cheyenne to LR

That would allow us to still hit some of southern Utah (Canyonlands and Arches), but add a lot more variety to the trip and spend about 3 days in Yellowstone. I don't like missing the drive through central Colorado via Buena Vista, Breckenridge and Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park (that Drifter suggested), but I think I'd rather add the rock formation/canyon geography to the trip for variety. I think it would feel a little more all-inclusive if we go that direction. I would hate to go out there for 2 weeks and totally miss that part of the country.

I was really excited about the whitewater rafting in Buena Vista, and it doesn't appear that level of float can be replicated in Durango or the surrounding areas. That's a bummer.

:blackdot: for notes. The in-laws have invited my family on a 3-week trip from Indiana to Yellowstone and other sites in July. Several national parks already on the agenda, but I can probably find some nuggets in this thread.

ETA - our current planned stops:

Badlands

Mt Rushmore

Yellowstone

Dinosaur

Canyonlands/Arches

Lake Powell

Four Corners

Mesa Verde

Durango

Rocky Mountain NP

Planning several days at Yellowstone. May re-evaluate the southern Utah stops due to heat, but FIL wants to hit Lake Powell, so we'll be going through Utah no matter what. Might as well try to see some stuff.

If you are hitting Moab do not ignore a quick stop off at Goblin State park. Seriously, it's doable in 2-3 hours and there's no place on Earth like it.

Also on that route, if the kids are into dinsoaurs, Dinosaur National Monument could be a potential stop from Utah to Yellowstone.

:blackdot: for notes. The in-laws have invited my family on a 3-week trip from Indiana to Yellowstone and other sites in July. Several national parks already on the agenda, but I can probably find some nuggets in this thread.

Badlands

Mt Rushmore

Yellowstone

Dinosaur

Canyonlands/Arches

Lake Powell

Four Corners

Mesa Verde

Durango

Rocky Mountain NP

Planning several days at Yellowstone. May re-evaluate the southern Utah stops due to heat, but FIL wants to hit Lake Powell, so we'll be going through Utah no matter what. Might as well try to see some stuff.
Near Mt Rushmore is Wind Cave NP - worth the stop. I like it better than Jewel cave NM which is also in the area.

Also near Mt Rushmore is the Crazy Horse Memorial. It is a work in progress and a private owned attraction but it is very cool to see

Finally not to far away on the way to Yellowstone is Devil's Tower NM..

You have a lot on your plate there so just make sure you plan it out and give your self plenty of time to enjoy everywhere you go and time to stop and enjoy the unexpected as you are going from place to place.

Sat down with the Mrs. Karpis last night and walked through some of these thoughts. Right now, I'm strongly leaning toward the route that would go:

- LR to Sante Fe

- Sante Fe to Durango (Mesa Verde)

- Durango to Moab

- Moab to Jackson

- Yellowstone to Denver/Cheyenne

- Denver/Cheyenne to LR

That would allow us to still hit some of southern Utah (Canyonlands and Arches), but add a lot more variety to the trip and spend about 3 days in Yellowstone. I don't like missing the drive through central Colorado via Buena Vista, Breckenridge and Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park (that Drifter suggested), but I think I'd rather add the rock formation/canyon geography to the trip for variety. I think it would feel a little more all-inclusive if we go that direction. I would hate to go out there for 2 weeks and totally miss that part of the country.

I was really excited about the whitewater rafting in Buena Vista, and it doesn't appear that level of float can be replicated in Durango or the surrounding areas. That's a bummer.
That sounds like an incredible trip. If you really want to hit Rocky Mountain National Park, you could always stop by on the way from Cheyenne to Denver, as the northeastern entrances to the park are only about an hour off of I-70.

Badlands

Mt Rushmore

Yellowstone

Dinosaur

Canyonlands/Arches

Lake Powell

Four Corners

Mesa Verde

Durango

Rocky Mountain NP

Near Mt Rushmore is Wind Cave NP - worth the stop. I like it better than Jewel cave NM which is also in the area.

Also near Mt Rushmore is the Crazy Horse Memorial. It is a work in progress and a private owned attraction but it is very cool to see

Finally not to far away on the way to Yellowstone is Devil's Tower NM..

You have a lot on your plate there so just make sure you plan it out and give your self plenty of time to enjoy everywhere you go and time to stop and enjoy the unexpected as you are going from place to place.
Agree with these suggestions. Custer State Park is also worth a stop near Mount Rushmore. But it's mostly famous for buffalo, which you can see in Yellowstone too. I started a South Dakota vacation thread on here a few years ago, which may be useful.

Here is the updated 2-week itinerary:

Day 1 - Little Rock to Sante Fe

Day 2 - Sante Fe

Day 3 - Great Sand Dunes NP

Day 4 - Durango/Mesa Verde NP

Day 5 - Mesa Verde NP

Day 6 - Arches NP

Day 7 - Canyonlands NP

Day 8 - Drive to Jackson, WY

Day 9 - Grand Tetons NP

Day 10 - Yellowstone NP

Day 11 - Yellowstone NP

Day 12 - Yellowstone NP

Day 13 - Yellowstone NP

Day 14 - 1/2 drive home

Day 15 - 1/2 drive home

My main concern right now is making sure I don't cram too much into the schedule. The biggest question mark is whether to drive up to see Grand Sand Dunes NP, go straight to Durango/Mesa Verde from Sante Fe (and skip GSDNP), or bypass Sante Fe altogether and go from LR to GSDNP and then to Mesa Verde. Worried about too much driving in days 2-4, after an initial day of 12-13 hours.

I'm really excited about shifting the focus of the trip to Yellowstone. Thinking right now about making a reverse "S" through the loops. Coming in at south gate, going to Geysers, camping in Madison, going toward Canyon area, camping in Canyons, then up to Lamar Valley, and out the NE gate. Any thoughts on that plan from Yellowstone experts?

IMO - Sand Dunes can be done in about 2 hours and then continue on your driver. I'd say the same thing about Goblin State Park which you still don't have on your itinerary despite driving past it.

Both those places are visually stunning but limited in size so are perfect for a small driving break and hike before heading on to your final destination.

Day 2 - Sante Fe

Day 5 - Mesa Verde NP

Day 6 - Arches NP

Day 7 - Canyonlands NP

Day 9 - Grand Tetons NP

Day 10 - Yellowstone NP

Day 11 - Yellowstone NP

Day 12 - Yellowstone NP

Day 13 - Yellowstone NP

Day 14 - 1/2 drive home

Day 15 - 1/2 drive home

My main concern right now is making sure I don't cram too much into the schedule. The biggest question mark is whether to drive up to see Grand Sand Dunes NP, go straight to Durango/Mesa Verde from Sante Fe (and skip GSDNP), or bypass Sante Fe altogether and go from LR to GSDNP and then to Mesa Verde. Worried about too much driving in days 2-4, after an initial day of 12-13 hours.

I'm really excited about shifting the focus of the trip to Yellowstone. Thinking right now about making a reverse "S" through the loops. Coming in at south gate, going to Geysers, camping in Madison, going toward Canyon area, camping in Canyons, then up to Lamar Valley, and out the NE gate. Any thoughts on that plan from Yellowstone experts?
I think your current plan sounds pretty great. I would recommend keeping both Santa Fe and Great Sand Dunes National Park on the itinerary, as I think both are pretty unique and beautiful experiences. Plus, the drive between Santa Fe and GSDNP is pretty spectacular, especially if you take one of the state highways (Hwy 159 or 285) instead of I-25. As Drifter said, you definitely don't need to plan on spending a full day at GSDNP, as it is probably better viewed as a stop-off for a few hours to break up the drive from Santa Fe to Western Colorado. It looks like you could cut down on your driving time fairly significantly if you cut out GSDNP, so it might be worth considering, depending on how your family is feeling after the first couple days.

I think your Yellowstone plan sounds decent -- as it hits most of my favorite parts of the park and would be my recommended route for a day or two visit, but if you have 4 full days at Yellowstone, then you should be able to cover the full figure 8 loop. I wouldn't miss going over to Lake Yellowstone in the southeast part of the loop just because it's not on the reverse S route.

I assume you're going to the Island in the Sky part of Canyonlands, correct? If so, make sure you stop at Dead Horse State Park on the way.

I assume you're going to the Island in the Sky part of Canyonlands, correct? If so, make sure you stop at Dead Horse State Park on the way.
Yes - I'm considering staying at the campgrounds at Dead Horse State Park. Looks beautiful.
I don't know about the campgrounds since we just spent the day at Canyonlands/Dead Horse while staying in Moab, but the combo is definitely easily doable in a day. If memory serves, there's not much at Dead Horse besides the hiking around the beautiful overlook.

EDIT: I don't think the campgrounds are near the overlook if that's what you think you are getting.

IMO - Sand Dunes can be done in about 2 hours and then continue on your driver. I'd say the same thing about Goblin State Park which you still don't have on your itinerary despite driving past it.

Both those places are visually stunning but limited in size so are perfect for a small driving break and hike before heading on to your final destination.
I'm looking at Goblin Valley, but the problem is it would be on a day where we are driving 8 hours from Moab to Jackson. Off the highway to Goblin and back to the highway adds 2 hours roundtrip.

This looks like a great trip. I think you will really enjoy being able to spend a good chunk of time in Yellowstone. It also kind of gives you a final destination which psychologically will make your family feel like you are making progress towards something bigger as you make your way through all the other stops you have planned.

One thing to keep in mind is that you also have to give your self time for driving from place to place. In motor home you are going to move slower and stops will generally take a little longer as well as time to set up and breakdown at your campgrounds. Make sure you give yourself time to also enjoy the places you are stopping and not spending all the time on the road.

It really depends on how aggressive you want to be. I've done road trips with my family where we enjoy the places we are at until sundown, then I drive until 1 or 2 AM to get us to the next place while they sleep. That isn't for everyone. I could see taking Sand Dunes and Canyonlands out of your itinerary, not because they are not great places to go but to ease back on your schedule a bit.

Make your Day 3 a driving day to get to Durango. Somewhere in that day 5 - 7 range stay 2 nights at Arches, getting there late in the day on your first night and leaving early after your second night. Give you a whole day to explore Arches. I know other people have said there isn't much to do at Arches. But that hasn't been my experience. I found lots of nice day hikes to a variety of different arches. 2 different trails to 2 different arches right from my campsite. I think you will enjoy a whole day especially if your family is unfamiliar with that type of landscape. It will also be nice to have a day without having to really drive anywhere after a week of pretty heavy driving.

I love Santa Fe, but you may want to consider activities there with kids, and what they would be into. It's a nice place to walk around, with some good art museums and shops, great restaurants, and historic buildings/churches. If your kids would be into that, then it is definitely worth a stop.

Alternatively, some place like Bandalier National Monument near Santa Fe may fit with the outdoor hiking/exploring of the other parts of your intinerary.

Buckfast 1 said:
Ray Karpis said:

Day 2 - Sante Fe

Day 5 - Mesa Verde NP

Day 6 - Arches NP

Day 7 - Canyonlands NP

Day 9 - Grand Tetons NP

Day 10 - Yellowstone NP

Day 11 - Yellowstone NP

Day 12 - Yellowstone NP

Day 13 - Yellowstone NP

Day 14 - 1/2 drive home

Day 15 - 1/2 drive home

I think your current plan sounds pretty great. I would recommend keeping both Santa Fe and Great Sand Dunes National Park on the itinerary, as I think both are pretty unique and beautiful experiences. Plus, the drive between Santa Fe and GSDNP is pretty spectacular, especially if you take one of the state highways (Hwy 159 or 285) instead of I-25. As Drifter said, you definitely don't need to plan on spending a full day at GSDNP, as it is probably better viewed as a stop-off for a few hours to break up the drive from Santa Fe to Western Colorado. It looks like you could cut down on your driving time fairly significantly if you cut out GSDNP, so it might be worth considering, depending on how your family is feeling after the first couple days.

I think your Yellowstone plan sounds decent -- as it hits most of my favorite parts of the park and would be my recommended route for a day or two visit, but if you have 4 full days at Yellowstone, then you should be able to cover the full figure 8 loop. I wouldn't miss going over to Lake Yellowstone in the southeast part of the loop just because it's not on the reverse S route.
Thanks. I may take a stab at a Yellowstone plan that hits each loop for 2 days. Maybe Madison as a base camp for the south loop for 2 nights and then Canyon as a base camp for the north loop for 2 nights.

If you are planning on going out the NE entrance - you have to take the road to Red Lodge MT(highway 212) - maybe one of the top 5 drives in this country through the Beartooths - simply gorgeous. Most of it is above treeline, July the wildflowers will be blooming, good bear country and you can see for a million miles.

It would be hard to skip the Sand Dunes with the kids - it's like a giant beach and there is a little creek that runs through it - if nothing else try and time lunch to there and stop - let them run and have lunch - then get on road to Durango.

Another thing - first thing at Yellowstone Geyser Basin(where old faithful is) go to the Ranger Station and they will have a board with Geyser times - ask about Grand Geyser. I would not miss this one. You can walk around and see many things on the Boardwalk - but get there about 40 minutes before the planned time - you will see some rangers(or a geyser watcher look for people with diaries and logbooks) usually there and have the kids talk to the ranger and have the ranger show them the signs of when it goes off. It has these great little quirks of bubbling and filling up the water pool around it on a schedule before it goes off around 150 ft. Sometimes it does these false alarms and doesn't go off right at the estimated time - but it double fills the basin and can reach 200ft + when that happens

Grand erupts every 7 to 15 hours. It belongs to the Grand Group (or Grand Geyser Complex), and its eruption is connected to those of the other geysers in the group, especially the adjacent Vent Geyserand Turban Geyser.[4]

For a few hours before an eruption by Grand, Turban Geyser erupts for a duration of five minutes about every 20 minutes. Grand's eruption begins within 1 to 2 minutes of one of Turban's eruptions with Vent Geyser erupting shortly after Grand. On occasions, Grand will stop erupting after 8 minutes only to restart with a taller fountain a minute or two later. Grand has been known to rarely experience over half a dozen restarts in a single eruption period. After Grand ceases its eruption, Vent and Turban can continue to erupt for another hour.[4]
http://youtu.be/oW-EWQ60ZwI

Riverside is nice as well.

As always check on Steamboat in Norris - you just never know. You might be blessed.

I was about to suggest you play Great Sand Dunes Golf Club, but it seems to have closed. Bummer. That place was fantastic. I played four college tournaments there. Opened in 1989, apparently closed in 2004. While it was an unreal spot, it was not exactly the most profitable location to build a golf course and they are not cheap to maintain. RIP GSDGC. <pours 40>

Just booked the first reservations of the trip...2 nights in Devil's Garden Campground in Arches National Park.

Really stoked about this place. Next reservations probably will be 4 nights at Canyon Campground in Yellowstone. Those are really the only two places I felt like I had to do months in advance.

Just found out that my in-laws are selling the 22-ft. Rialta, and buying a new 30-ft. RV that sleeps 8 people. Why, you ask?

Wait for it.....

...so they can go with us.

:wall:

:help:

Users who are viewing this thread