What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (2 Viewers)

I expect the bullpen to be pretty bad.  I expected the rotation to struggle.  What I did not expect was the offense to be this inept.  

You new to this team?  Once they get the offense rolling the pen will turn to #### again 
Yeah it's pretty strange.  I do believe that the parts making up this team are good enough for the postseason, but the return as a whole team is just not there.  No excuse for the loss tonight, D'Backs have a good record but this isn't a great team. 

JZimm went

8IP

2 R

6 H

0 BB

6 K

and you don't win at home.  That's disgusting. 

Orioles, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Rangers, Mariners, Mets, Cubs, and Indians all within two games of the Tigers.

They should all sell, all of them.  :bye:
That's not really objective thinking. If those teams are .500 at the end of the month or even mid July they can make moves to better the team. Detroit can not. They are so desperate that they are clinging to KRod and Sanchez in hopes one of the two of them can fill a role down the stretch. Alex Presley is the everyday CF'er. I don't want it to go down either but they can't win on any consistent level and hoping that the other teams in your division happen to be worse then you is no way to exist as a franchise. If they could lock up JD now, I'd say may as well go for it but they aren't even going to get a compensatory 1st for him. I'll be angry when JD gets moved but Avila's 2015 spending set us up for this.

Bojang0301 said:
That's not really objective thinking. If those teams are .500 at the end of the month or even mid July they can make moves to better the team. Detroit can not. They are so desperate that they are clinging to KRod and Sanchez in hopes one of the two of them can fill a role down the stretch. Alex Presley is the everyday CF'er. I don't want it to go down either but they can't win on any consistent level and hoping that the other teams in your division happen to be worse then you is no way to exist as a franchise. If they could lock up JD now, I'd say may as well go for it but they aren't even going to get a compensatory 1st for him. I'll be angry when JD gets moved but Avila's 2015 spending set us up for this.
Detroit is as capable of anyone outside of the Yankees or Astros of taking the American league with just a few moves.  For this year, the fact that the division sucks is important because it makes a realistic path to the playoffs, and once in the playoffs anything is possible.  This is not a great team by any stretch.  But it is good enough. 

Detroit is as capable of anyone outside of the Yankees or Astros of taking the American league with just a few moves.  For this year, the fact that the division sucks is important because it makes a realistic path to the playoffs, and once in the playoffs anything is possible.  This is not a great team by any stretch.  But it is good enough. 
I'm not sure what I have to say to get people to realize no moves will happen. They are almost at the super luxury tax threshold. Once they hit it two things happen: 1) They essentially have to double whatever salary they bring in over it and 2) JD's compensatory pick will drop from a 1st to no higher then a 4th. 

Trade for a number 3 starting pitcher, a true closer, and a of with a big bat, and this team is money . But  what you give up to get those players will not be for free, but it can be done.

Trade for a number 3 starting pitcher, a true closer, and a of with a big bat, and this team is money . But  what you give up to get those players will not be for free, but it can be done.
Zimmerman has been better. If he can keep it going it will be a big lift.

And Miggy has looked like Miggy this week.  Many multiple hit games and lots of extra base hits.  
Yes but it looked like he winced in back pain after an AB yesterday.

Bad last ten games with the Kitties going 3-7 and Tribe going 7-3.   4 1/2 back real fast..

Anibal looked decent tonight.  Kinda got unlucky with the homer because the guy on base got on with an infield single, and we all know Anibal is gonna give up one homer minimum.  I think he earned himself another start. 

skillz said:
I hope Avila can make some good trades once this team starts selling. 
These talk show idiots will still complain.  JD has particular trade value, you need an injury with one of the main contenders to get a good return there.  So when Avila trades him for a mid grade bat and pitcher, people are gonna go ape ####.  That's all he'll be able to get, but that won't matter.

Justin Wilson has a lot of appeal, so does Kinsler if they can get him to one of the ten teams on his limited trade list.  Guys living in the "Dodgers are a good fit" mode missed the news that they have both Forsythe and Taylor and they don't want Kinsler. 

They would ultimately have to trade salary to get under the luxury tax, which may mean having a team take KRod's salary in return for Detroit getting little to nothing back.  So Kinsler, with his workable salary and a sweet team option along with K-Rod, for a guy that has a 15% chance of ever playing in the majors.  That would allow them to keep JD and get a 1st round pick back next year if he bolts (and they aren't gonna re-sign him as far as everything I've read because they don't want to get anywhere near the luxury cap going forward). 

Alex Wilson has little value.  No one is taking the JV or Cabrera contracts, and JUP isn't going to opt out unless he's completely awesome.

So what Tigers fans should root for is JUP to play at an MVP level, the team to be in the playoff hunt, get an unexpected offer for Kinsler and cash in, and be in the mix in September.  Because the overall picture of the sell guy is not great, all the assets are tied to big contracts or are of decreased value (JD).  The trade deadline rewards those wanting to trade good pitchers, and this franchise doesn't have a tradable starter.  :2cents:

No one is taking the JV or Cabrera contracts
I have heard Verlander to the Cubs several times over the past weeks. The main reason is Theo/Jed refuse to be hijacked by Tampa with regards to Chris Archer. Theo/Jed also believe Verlander is the type of pitcher who causes grief to free-swinging teams like Washington and Los Angeles--teams the Cubs will likely face in the playoffs. 

These talk show idiots will still complain.  JD has particular trade value, you need an injury with one of the main contenders to get a good return there.  So when Avila trades him for a mid grade bat and pitcher, people are gonna go ape ####.  That's all he'll be able to get, but that won't matter.

Justin Wilson has a lot of appeal, so does Kinsler if they can get him to one of the ten teams on his limited trade list.  Guys living in the "Dodgers are a good fit" mode missed the news that they have both Forsythe and Taylor and they don't want Kinsler. 

They would ultimately have to trade salary to get under the luxury tax, which may mean having a team take KRod's salary in return for Detroit getting little to nothing back.  So Kinsler, with his workable salary and a sweet team option along with K-Rod, for a guy that has a 15% chance of ever playing in the majors.  That would allow them to keep JD and get a 1st round pick back next year if he bolts (and they aren't gonna re-sign him as far as everything I've read because they don't want to get anywhere near the luxury cap going forward). 

Alex Wilson has little value.  No one is taking the JV or Cabrera contracts, and JUP isn't going to opt out unless he's completely awesome.

So what Tigers fans should root for is JUP to play at an MVP level, the team to be in the playoff hunt, get an unexpected offer for Kinsler and cash in, and be in the mix in September.  Because the overall picture of the sell guy is not great, all the assets are tied to big contracts or are of decreased value (JD).  The trade deadline rewards those wanting to trade good pitchers, and this franchise doesn't have a tradable starter.  :2cents:
Believe it or not, I don't disagree with a lot of this. If some magic were to occur, I doubt it could without Kinsler. Just IMO. Still hate that we'll be seeing JUp hit worthless home runs and become a massive liability in the field over JD for the next 5 years. 

Believe it or not, I don't disagree with a lot of this. If some magic were to occur, I doubt it could without Kinsler. Just IMO. Still hate that we'll be seeing JUp hit worthless home runs and become a massive liability in the field over JD for the next 5 years. 
Yeah JD a regular gold glove OF  :rolleyes:

I'd rather get something than nothing when JD walks (or I guess we get a 1st rounder if we hold?)

Sorry but the last few years have shown this team isn't good enough and guys are getting older with no infusion of young talent 

Obviously no guarantee a rebuild works but id rather see that then a couple more 78-82 win seasons 

Users who are viewing this thread