What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (14 Viewers)

I’m not excited about the Eternals.  I'll still go see it opening weekend but I'm really fearful of a swing and miss here (which Marvel has largely avoided with the movie offerings). 
Me either. It really reminds me of the Inhumans show which I never watched. Just the previews alone, didn’t catch my eye at all. I’m waiting for Shang-Chi to get to D+ and while it didn’t totally suck me in yet in the previews, it looked like it would still be a cool movie to watch. Eternals was just kind of meh like the Inhumans. Not sure how she’ll do, but I think Angelina Jolie was not good casting. She doesn’t scream Marvel universe to me, same with maybe the GOTs guys. Maybe that’s the disconnect. It seems like it’s separated and the previews don’t really make me want to see it. 

Me either. It really reminds me of the Inhumans show which I never watched. Just the previews alone, didn’t catch my eye at all. I’m waiting for Shang-Chi to get to D+ and while it didn’t totally suck me in yet in the previews, it looked like it would still be a cool movie to watch. Eternals was just kind of meh like the Inhumans. Not sure how she’ll do, but I think Angelina Jolie was not good casting. She doesn’t scream Marvel universe to me, same with maybe the GOTs guys. Maybe that’s the disconnect. It seems like it’s separated and the previews don’t really make me want to see it. 
Didn't really want to see the Aquman movie either, but that turned out to be fun.  I figure wait and see is the best approach here.  Really didn't wan to see the Hawkeye thing.  That trailer changed my mind.  It looks like a boat load of fun.

Didn't really want to see the Aquman movie either, but that turned out to be fun.  I figure wait and see is the best approach here.  Really didn't wan to see the Hawkeye thing.  That trailer changed my mind.  It looks like a boat load of fun.
Aquaman was fine, not as good as WW and also not as good as most of the Marvel movies. Trailers are supposed to change your mind and get you excited. The Eternals trailer reminds me of the Inhumans show because it lacked something and didn’t get me excited. It’s not about waiting and seeing, of course if the movie scores like crazy I’ll see it. Even though Shang-Chi isn’t something I was looking forward to because Avengers ended and I have no clue on the story, the trailer was slick and put it in the I’ll definitely watch it camp. The ratings on Eternals have to be great because the trailers did nothing for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the "What If" series really knocked me out of posting in this thread :)  They have been mostly good "one-offs" but they hit a string of 3 in a row (Dr. Strange, Zombies, and Killmonger) that I just didn't like.  Haven't watched the one from yesterday.  The animation on these have been top notch, but man they are cramming a lot of content into 30 minutes or so of action.

I was remiss in not commenting on Shang Chi.  We saw it opening night and absolutely loved it.  Going in I had pretty high expectations for it, with the one worrisome spot being Awkwafina, but she did really well in the role.  A little bit of an eye roll with the part she played in the final scene, but overall I thought the action was great, the origin story was great, and had a lot of humor.  Really well done.

I'm not excited about the Eternals.  I'll still go see it opening weekend but I'm really fearful of a swing and miss here (which Marvel has largely avoided with the movie offerings).  I'm looking forward to Hawkeye and getting back to must see D+ TV content.
I think I was more curious about Shang-Chi then Eternals, but my daughter was more interested in seeing Eternals than Shang-Chi.  She really liked Shang-Chi.

Not knowing much about the Eternals, I am mostly looking forward to how they explain things (where they've been?) and how they integrate into the MCU.  Of course we will see it, don't want to miss anything important in setting up the future.

And Hawkeye does look better than expected.

I think we can all agree we are going to see them since the MCU owns us and mostly hoping they are good while we wait for Spider-Man.....

I’ll agree with you on the Hawkeye trailer. I was largely lukewarm but the trailer sucked me in. The trailer on the Eternals did not. 

Aquaman was fine, not as good as WW and also not as good as most of the Marvel movies. Trailers are supposed to change your mind and get you excited. The Eternals trailer reminds me of the Inhumans show because it lacked something and didn’t get me excited. It’s not about waiting and seeing, of course if the movie scores like crazy I’ll see it. Even though Shang-Chi isn’t something I was looking forward to because Avengers ended and I have no clue on the story, the trailer was slick and put it in the I’ll definitely watch it camp. The ratings on Eternals have to be great because the trailers did nothing for me.

Of course the Trailer for the first Suicide Squad got me really excited for that and I was sorely disappointed when I saw the movie. So the trailer being good or bad doesn't guarantee anything.  As for the Eternals, even if the trailer doesn't excite you, I think you have to trust that Marvel knows a little something about making good, entertaining, movies. At least I do.

I watched all the What If ...? episodes and thought a few of them were somewhat entertaining, but there's no way I would normally watch something like this if Wandavision hadn't been so good.  I feel like Wandavision bought Marvel/Disney about 30 hours of my time sitting through Falcon, Loki and What If.  I'm sure I'll give Hawkeye a long leash as well, but honestly the goodwill is wearing thin for me at this point, especially with all the great streaming entertainment options out there these days.

I watched all the What If ...? episodes and thought a few of them were somewhat entertaining, but there's no way I would normally watch something like this if Wandavision hadn't been so good.  I feel like Wandavision bought Marvel/Disney about 30 hours of my time sitting through Falcon, Loki and What If.  I'm sure I'll give Hawkeye a long leash as well, but honestly the goodwill is wearing thin for me at this point, especially with all the great streaming entertainment options out there these days.
I really liked Loki.  Falcon was ok/pretty good.  "What If" is filler to me.  I'm sure I'll watch all of Hawkeye on launch days.

If What If is setting up a storyline similar to the comics, there will be a payoff coming these last couple of episodes.  I don't believe Marvel/D+ would put out a season of stand alone episodes just to pass the time.  There is a theme for each of them, where every episode ends in some form of peril/disaster looming.  None have a clean cut, happy ending.  Without giving too much away from the comic line, I do believe there will be something tying these together in a neat little bow.  

Individually, the stories have been good.  We know we'll see Captain Carter in the Dr. Strange MoM movie.  Each episode has shown us a different universe to help explain/expand the multiverse theory.  It'll be interesting if other characters follow suit, finding their way from the What If multiverse into the movies.

My youngest son was born in 2009, so I just recently realized he hadn't seen all of the early Marvel movies. So we were watching Ironman 2 the other night and I don't think I remembered that Elon Musk had a cameo. I also did not remember that Kate Mara had a bit part serving a subpoena to Tony Stark to appear at a Senate hearing. And watching Ironman before that, it was interesting seeing that the terrorist organization which captured Stark was the Ten Rings.

If What If is setting up a storyline similar to the comics, there will be a payoff coming these last couple of episodes.  I don't believe Marvel/D+ would put out a season of stand alone episodes just to pass the time.  There is a theme for each of them, where every episode ends in some form of peril/disaster looming.  None have a clean cut, happy ending.  Without giving too much away from the comic line, I do believe there will be something tying these together in a neat little bow.  

Individually, the stories have been good.  We know we'll see Captain Carter in the Dr. Strange MoM movie.  Each episode has shown us a different universe to help explain/expand the multiverse theory.  It'll be interesting if other characters follow suit, finding their way from the What If multiverse into the movies.
We do?

My youngest son was born in 2009, so I just recently realized he hadn't seen all of the early Marvel movies. So we were watching Ironman 2 the other night and I don't think I remembered that Elon Musk had a cameo. I also did not remember that Kate Mara had a bit part serving a subpoena to Tony Stark to appear at a Senate hearing. And watching Ironman before that, it was interesting seeing that the terrorist organization which captured Stark was the Ten Rings.
Sometimes that's the best part of going back to some of them.  Seeing the little things you missed or forgot.

Gave up on what if halfway through episode 3. It’s the worst thing they’ve done, which I’m ok with because I like almost everything else. It can’t all be a home run. 

I feel like the last scene of the latest episode of what if was the beginning of the merger with the multiverse storyline. The episode itself sucked but the final scene was the watcher saying and they lived happily ever after... wait what?  Oh dear perhaps I spoke too soon... as an invasion force appeared out of nowhere.  Looks like it could be interesting 

The other episodes introduced the watcher and set the rules with dr strange and the multiple timelines, and gave us a sense of how similar most of the timelines are and also how weird they can get.  It's not compelling storytelling in each episode the same way that the other shows were but it's all building up the multiverse story in little ways that you might not realize at the time.  

Like it or not that's the direction the stories are going so if you're interested in the next round of movies then you'll probably want to watch this at some point 

It's been reported for almost 2 months now.  I assumed it was common knowledge.  :shrug:
Only thing I saw was that she will be back in S2 of What If.... 

But I may have misread and it was Dr Strange 2  :lmao:

I'll probably forget unless she's in the trailer. 

So, What If.... Ultron Won?

I am guessing this series will play into the larger universe more then many thought.  Not sure how I feel about that.  

Trying to figure out why one infinity stone Ultron was able to so casually dispose of Thanos while Vision (wielding that same infinity stone) couldn't even beat thanos' minions

Trying to figure out why one infinity stone Ultron was able to so casually dispose of Thanos while Vision (wielding that same infinity stone) couldn't even beat thanos' minions

It gets worse when you recall that Thanos' minions were completely destroying Vision and Wanda, until they were rescued by ... Cap America, Falcon and Black Widow?  I'm sure there's an explanation for all this, but imo its best to just enjoy the content and not ask such questions.

wanda could have taken them all down by herself and so could have captain marvel so yeah i dont get it take that to the bank bromigos 

I stopped watching what if?  after the third episode and lost interest.   Any reason to go back and watch the rest?

So, What If.... Ultron Won?

I am guessing this series will play into the larger universe more then many thought.  Not sure how I feel about that.  
This is what I thought they'd do except I thought it would be kangs. 

They're setting out the rules for the nerds so they don't have to start completely over when they do the kang stories later 

The plan might even be to have ultron fight original kang who then realizes he can cross over 

Or this might end up with a pretty bow tied around it with the Hydra dude saving the day and then they can do the kang storyline cleaner

Corporation said:
The last 2 episodes were really the best of the series.  Really liked the ending, it redeemed itself IMO.  

I started watching last night.  Episode 1 was decent.  If this is canon and going to play a role going forward, I guess I need to watch!

Corporation said:
The last 2 episodes were really the best of the series.  Really liked the ending, it redeemed itself IMO.  

I started watching last night.  Episode 1 was decent.  If this is canon and going to play a role going forward, I guess I need to watch!
Episode 2 was probably my favorite of the "lead up" stories.  About midway through it takes a darker turn that I didn't like as much, and it appeared that these were going to be "one-offs".  Without spoiling anything, I think it is still largely not going to impact the MCU specifically, but they do offer what should be canon data points on how the multiverse works (not explained completely of course) and it is an introduction to a character that I think will appear in the MCU.  The last 2 episodes really tie it together.

Interesting note, and again I'll talk around it so I don't spoil anything, I think they had to cut one episode.  I noted it was 9 episodes instead of 10, and the finale features someone totally new to that series.  Will be interesting to see if they scrap that episode or try to refit it into a potential season 2.

Episode 2 was probably my favorite of the "lead up" stories.  About midway through it takes a darker turn that I didn't like as much, and it appeared that these were going to be "one-offs".  Without spoiling anything, I think it is still largely not going to impact the MCU specifically, but they do offer what should be canon data points on how the multiverse works (not explained completely of course) and it is an introduction to a character that I think will appear in the MCU.  The last 2 episodes really tie it together.

Interesting note, and again I'll talk around it so I don't spoil anything, I think they had to cut one episode.  I noted it was 9 episodes instead of 10, and the finale features someone totally new to that series.  Will be interesting to see if they scrap that episode or try to refit it into a potential season 2.
Apparently, that episode was delayed due to Covid issues and will be included in season 2, but it's going to be a weird fit as we've already seen a partial glimpse of it now.

attempting to slog my way through these what ifs.  i restarted last night and watched the dr strange one.  the next one is zombies?  fml  i may just ask for cliff notes.

attempting to slog my way through these what ifs.  i restarted last night and watched the dr strange one.  the next one is zombies?  fml  i may just ask for cliff notes.
It’s not nearly as good as Wanda Vision IMO, but it does have a similar arc in that things do eventually tie together and the time invested in the earlier episodes is redeemed somewhat. Or at least it all comes together in a way and makes them more than just standalone episodes.

I am through the Zombie episode and I actually have enjoyed them all so far, except they kind of feel like there is no ending to the episodes at times. Or I don’t get the endings?

Black Widow was fun.  I get all the love for Francis Pugh. She was the highlight of the movie.  They went a little overboard with black widow being able to do superhero things without superpowers but it was the universe as usual and I wouldn't mind those characters showing up again in something. 

It’s not nearly as good as Wanda Vision IMO, but it does have a similar arc in that things do eventually tie together and the time invested in the earlier episodes is redeemed somewhat. Or at least it all comes together in a way and makes them more than just standalone episodes.
one left.  watched a few while my kid was in TKD.  it has improved dramatically.  one left.  

for those in my shoes of, "this is lame", stick it out.

Black Widow was fun.  I get all the love for Francis Pugh. She was the highlight of the movie.  They went a little overboard with black widow being able to do superhero things without superpowers but it was the universe as usual and I wouldn't mind those characters showing up again in something. 
Watched it of Friday as my boys had already seen it. It was underwhelming. A decent movie but way down the ranks of other Marvel movies. I’m sure the bad guy and his minions were in comics somewhere but it just seemed sort of pointless. Not sure how to express it but it didn’t tie in well. I mean, I assume sis (way better character than mom and dad) will reappear with the credits but even that was meh. Somehow blaming him seems like a ridiculous stretch. Definitely glad I didn’t pay to watch it.

stbugs said:
Watched it of Friday as my boys had already seen it. It was underwhelming. A decent movie but way down the ranks of other Marvel movies. I’m sure the bad guy and his minions were in comics somewhere but it just seemed sort of pointless. Not sure how to express it but it didn’t tie in well. I mean, I assume sis (way better character than mom and dad) will reappear with the credits but even that was meh. Somehow blaming him seems like a ridiculous stretch. Definitely glad I didn’t pay to watch it.
I think I would've enjoyed Black Widow better had it released between Civil War and Infinity War.  I never felt she was in danger as we already know her fate.  Being released this year (or last as it was originally scheduled) just seems like they're checking a box.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would've enjoyed Black Widow better had it released between Civil War and Infinity War.  I never felt she was in danger as we already know her fate.  Being released this year (or last as it was originally scheduled) just seems like they're checking a box.
Agreed. Same with the villain. One and done and it was slightly ridiculous. It’s one thing to run a spy ring but the mind control with no real explanation for the antidote and the city in the sky? How many trillions of dollars did this one guy have?

The MCU had to prioritize Captain Marvel and GOTG2 to make it fit the IW storyline.

I also don't think many people had faith ScarJo could carry a franchise by herself. The part was originally offered to Emily Blunt, who could have carried multiple films by herself, but it would have had to take a much more serious tone.

The formula that works is always the same. If you have a generic kind of lead, you need a balls out villain who is a fan favorite. Think Cottonmouth with Luke Cage.

Blunt could carry a film with a mediocre villain because she's a lights out actress. ScarJo probably could not because she has Harrison Ford disease and only has two expressions.

ScarJo is like Trent Dilfer on the Ravens. You need all the other pieces in place for success to really happen.

I actually enjoyed What If.   I don't get why it was released with clearly a missing episode though.  Kind of weird.  I thought the weakest episode was the Thor one.  I enjoyed it in a comical way, but I don't get how "that" Thor really mattered for the overall story really either.  

The MCU had to prioritize Captain Marvel and GOTG2 to make it fit the IW storyline.

I also don't think many people had faith ScarJo could carry a franchise by herself. The part was originally offered to Emily Blunt, who could have carried multiple films by herself, but it would have had to take a much more serious tone.

The formula that works is always the same. If you have a generic kind of lead, you need a balls out villain who is a fan favorite. Think Cottonmouth with Luke Cage.

Blunt could carry a film with a mediocre villain because she's a lights out actress. ScarJo probably could not because she has Harrison Ford disease and only has two expressions.

ScarJo is like Trent Dilfer on the Ravens. You need all the other pieces in place for success to really happen.
ScarJo is way hotter than Trent Dilfer. Just sayin...

Whomever has the keys needs to do better....hasn't evolved one bit.

i like scarlet johorson so i disagree i think she is cool and i will miss seeing her in the story going forward take that to the bank brohans 

DA RAIDERS said:
one left.  watched a few while my kid was in TKD.  it has improved dramatically.  one left.  

for those in my shoes of, "this is lame", stick it out.
Agree.  I didn't think it was lame because I thought the animation was great, I was just kind of "these are one off stories that don't lead anywhere."  Turns out it does, good ending and I think concepts (not plot points) will carry into the MCU.

i like scarlet johorson so i disagree i think she is cool and i will miss seeing her in the story going forward take that to the bank brohans 

Some performers are caught in the middle.

Not quite considered a "pure actor" like a Cate Blanchett. But not quite considered a "pure movie star" like prime Angelina Jolie.

The difference is that Blanchett and Jolie have both proven they can secure a bankable movie with them as a lead.

Black Widow is not an iconic superhero story like a Batman or a Spiderman, where you already have a massive following, including a massive international following, to carry the film with a mostly unknown lead, if you go in that direction.

The film only existed as a way to hand off the franchise to someone Feige hopes he catches before she has a massive breakout ( Florence Pugh)

A Hulk movie with then bankable Ed Norton is one kind of sell to people who finance movies, but a different Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo is an entirely different proposition. Captain Marvel tanked to high expectations. Brie Larson's Oscar wasn't enough of a push to carry over a large audience.

People try it with "non bankables" and it fails and then lots of money is lost ( Sam Worthington in the Terminator and Titans franchises. Taylor Kitsch in Battleship and John Carter of Mars. Star Wars with Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver. )

(SWC, I'm happy for you that you got to celebrate an NBA championship for your home team. Some people live their whole live and never get to see their favorite team win anything.  )

Some performers are caught in the middle.

Not quite considered a "pure actor" like a Cate Blanchett. But not quite considered a "pure movie star" like prime Angelina Jolie.

The difference is that Blanchett and Jolie have both proven they can secure a bankable movie with them as a lead.

Black Widow is not an iconic superhero story like a Batman or a Spiderman, where you already have a massive following, including a massive international following, to carry the film with a mostly unknown lead, if you go in that direction.

The film only existed as a way to hand off the franchise to someone Feige hopes he catches before she has a massive breakout ( Florence Pugh)

A Hulk movie with then bankable Ed Norton is one kind of sell to people who finance movies, but a different Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo is an entirely different proposition. Captain Marvel tanked to high expectations. Brie Larson's Oscar wasn't enough of a push to carry over a large audience.

People try it with "non bankables" and it fails and then lots of money is lost ( Sam Worthington in the Terminator and Titans franchises. Taylor Kitsch in Battleship and John Carter of Mars. Star Wars with Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver. )

(SWC, I'm happy for you that you got to celebrate an NBA championship for your home team. Some people live their whole live and never get to see their favorite team win anything.  )
Box of 1.1B is a tank :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

i also really like captain marvel and i think bree larson did a great job in that role i think some brohans just cant deal with a strong confident and good looking woman what can i say maybe it is that whole incel movement or whatever that is all about anyhow my favorites are captain american thor captain marvel and scarlet witch in no particular order after captain american take that to the bank bromigo

i also really like captain marvel and i think bree larson did a great job in that role i think some brohans just cant deal with a strong confident and good looking woman what can i say maybe it is that whole incel movement or whatever that is all about anyhow my favorites are captain american thor captain marvel and scarlet witch in no particular order after captain american take that to the bank bromigo

The Drinker Fixes... Captain Marvel Jun 10, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-t3UAeRgdE

Critical Drinker does a pretty good job breaking down the story telling flaws of Captain Marvel.

Why was Sarah Connor so beloved by audiences? She started off as an innocent victim who evolved. She made mistakes, had failures, suffered losses and then adapted into something stronger and more resilient. She was a three dimensional character given a true story arc built upon actual growth and progressive change.

Captain Marvel has nothing anywhere close to that.

You disappoint me bromigo, you can't accept someone might not like a movie because the story/premise/characters/narratives have glaring flaws, and not some super secret anti-woke agenda in place.

You loved Captain Marvel? Good for you. I didn't. Good for me.

A lack of functional character development and well structured narrative set up and payoff is not a criticism of modern feminism. It's a criticism of a lack of functional character development and a lack of a well structured narrative setup and payoff pathway.

Box of 1.1B is a tank :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

VIDEO: Why Captain Marvel's rating COLLAPSED on Rotten Tomatoes Feb 25, 2019

The news just gets worse and worse for Marvel. User ratings have now dropped to just 30% on Rotten Tomatoes as fans increasingly turn against this film's controversial star. Where will it end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdRBPApeqdA

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel

DIRECT HEADLINE: Rotten Tomatoes Explains Why It Removed Thousands of Audience Reviews on Captain Marvel's Opening Day

"We have identified a bug in the post-release functionality."

By Jim Vejvoda 9 Mar 2019 3:15 pm

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/09/rotten-tomatoes-explains-why-it-removed-thousands-of-audience-reviews-on-captain-marvels-opening-day

DIRECT HEADLINE: Official Captain Marvel 2 Synopsis Makes It Seem Like An Ensemble, Not Brie Larson’s Movie

By Apeksha Bagchi 5/21

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/brie-larson-captain-marvel-2-synopsis.html

Captain Marvel made a ton of money being caught in the hype and groundswell for the Avengers series. It was in the right place at the right time.

But lots of fans didn't like it. And those who pirated it early panned it in reviews, which were deleted. Kevin Feige was going to hit a dud that was critically panned at some point.

Now the direction is no longer "Captain Marvel", it's been rebranded "The Marvels"

So yes, that's literally an indictment on Brie Larson's bankability and the perception that she just can't carry a large franchise like this.

i am sorry that disappointed you fillibuster bot please accept my apologies but i still like me some captain marvel take that to the bank brochacho 

VIDEO: I was SO WRONG about Captain Marvel Mar 1, 2019 The Critical Drinker

So after careful reflection, it looks like I was entirely wrong in my thinking about this movie, and now I've seen the light. The following is an explanation of my mistakes, and a heartfelt apology to Marvel and Brie Larson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-e5bptEFIM

Critical Drinker responds to some criticism of his criticism of Captain Marvel.

He points out that modern film history has not been as oppressive as some have been indoctrinated to believe.

And I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread