What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (1 Viewer)

During the preseason, I was pretty sure that one of Evans, Godwin, and Howard would be a bust. 

Didn't think Godwin's performance would render BOTH Evans and Howard busts.

I'm a little less worried after listening to some of my podcasts.  Apparently they shadowed Evans with Lattimore, PLUS gave him safety help.  That's a healthy amount of respect to show a WR.

I'm a little less worried after listening to some of my podcasts.  Apparently they shadowed Evans with Lattimore, PLUS gave him safety help.  That's a healthy amount of respect to show a WR.
Yeah they shadowed him with Lattimore. Saints know how to defend Evans. Panthers too. He does have a good history against the Falcons.

Evans and Watkins....

and..Philly D and Watson. :)

Evans still a must start.  Watkins not so much.  Godwin will pull some coverage.

Jameis Winston said in order to win football games, the Buccaneers have to get Mike Evans the ball.

"Bottom line, to win football games, we've got to get Mike Evans the ball," said Winston, who took responsibility for Evans' goose egg against the Saints in Week 5. "We've just got to get him the ball. There's nothing much else to say to it." Evans has largely taken a backseat to Chris Godwin (the NFL's current leader in receiving touchdowns) in recent weeks, though the two-time Pro Bowler showed he can still move mountains with his 190-yard explosion against the Giants in Week 3. Winston's remarks could foreshadow a Week 6 breakout for Evans, who went for 61 yards on four catches when he faced the Panthers earlier this year.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

Oct 11, 2019, 9:55 AM ET

"We've gotta get Mike Evans the ball" - Jameis

- No s**t, ya think? FSU education paying off. Now shut up and do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep going back and forth on this.   Evans still leads the NFL in air yards, even though he was sick one week and got shut out last week.   Godwin's target share is higher than his (26%), but his is still in the range for a WR1 (23%).   But Bradberry shadowed him and shut him down week 2, and his history against the Panthers isn't stellar.  

In his past five meetings with the Panthers, Evans has 20 catches for 292 yards and no touchdowns. He's been above 62 yards just once over that span, including Week 2 at Carolina when he had four catches for 61 yards on eight targets.
I'm leaning toward sitting him this week in favor of Thielen, Chark and McClaurin and hoping that he rebounds after the bye against some weak defensive secondaries.

Mike Evans caught 11-of-12 targets for 198 yards and two touchdowns in Tampa Bay's Week 8 loss to the Titans.

It clearly would've been sweeter in victory, but Evans nonetheless passed James Wilder (430) to become Tampa Bay's franchise leader in receptions with 432 at the ripe age of 26. Without outside corner Adoree Jackson available to contain Evans, interim DB LeShaun Sims had his soul taken for completions of 46, 43, 14 and 13 yards (among others). Evans has racked up nine fewer catches than teammate Chris Godwin (47 to 38) on the year but has notably been treated as Winston's go-to downfield option, accruing 36 percent of Tampa Bay's air yards while pacing for 87/1,513/14. It's obviously in the cards that both finish as Top 12 wideouts in '19, making both salivating WR1s in Week 9 against the Seahawks.

Oct 27, 2019, 5:48 PM ET

Mike Evans supplied 12 catches for 180 yards and a touchdown on 16 targets Sunday in Tampa Bay’s Week 9 loss to Seattle.

In doing so, he became the first receiver in franchise history to clear 150 yards in back-to-back games. Not satisfied with setting a career-best with 11 catches in Week 8, Evans set out to better that mark against the Seahawks. He succeeded on that front, singlehandedly keeping the Bucs afloat in a thrilling Week 9 barnburner. Evans set the tone with two catches spanning 38 yards on the opening drive. His lone touchdown came on a second-quarter strike from Jameis Winston, who escaped the pocket before hitting the 6'5" receiver for a five-yard TD. Evans came through again late in the fourth quarter, finding a soft spot in the defense for a pick-up of 17 to set up first-and-goal from the Seahawks' one-yard-line. Dare Ogunbowale tied the score with a one-yard touchdown on the following play. As locked in as any receiver in recent memory, Evans will be put to the test when Patrick Peterson invades Tampa in Week 10.

Nov 3, 2019, 7:51 PM ET

Mike Evans caught 4-of-6 targets for 82 yards in the Bucs' Week 10 win over the Cardinals.

Coming off a molten three-game streak, Evans had his quietest day in over a month. Jameis Winston was spreading the ball around more than usual, finding five pass catchers for at least three receptions. Evans' off day could become a cold snap vs. Marshon Lattimore, Eli Apple and the Saints in Week 11, though Lattimore picked up a thigh injury against the Falcons.

Mike Evans caught 4-of-8 targets for a nice 69 receiving yards in Tampa Bay's Week 11 loss to the Saints.

It's the second consecutive hush outing for Evans after he totaled 4/82 in Tampa Bay's Week 10 win over the Cardinals. His last two letdowns have not-so-coincidently coincided with the Bucs' efforts to get their tight ends involved, seeing Cam Brate (10/73) lead the team with 14 targets on Sunday. Evans also contributed to this loss, however, dropping a crucial 3rd-and-6 comeback on the team's first possession out of the half. The 26-year-old All-Pro still leads the Bucs with 242 air yards since Week 10 and will undoubtedly file in as a WR1 in Week 12 against the Falcons.

Nov 17, 2019, 6:40 PM ET

I'm wondering if Arians considers it his mission to turn Winston into a real NFL QB.  A real NFL QB would spread the ball around and not focus on just one good player like Mike Evans.  This season is lost anyway, so Arians figures it's time to turn on his QB whispering and turn around Winston.  If he does, the Arians is praised everywhere as a genius.  Of course, being a turnover machine kind of makes that impossible, but geniuses gotta genius.

themeistersinger said:
I'm wondering if Arians considers it his mission to turn Winston into a real NFL QB.  A real NFL QB would spread the ball around and not focus on just one good player like Mike Evans.  This season is lost anyway, so Arians figures it's time to turn on his QB whispering and turn around Winston.  If he does, the Arians is praised everywhere as a genius.  Of course, being a turnover machine kind of makes that impossible, but geniuses gotta genius.
Brate got 14 targets yesterday and Godwin has 90 targets on the season to Evans 97. No offense, but this comment is so off base. 

Brate got 14 targets yesterday and Godwin has 90 targets on the season to Evans 97. No offense, but this comment is so off base. 
I think that’s what he means...arians is trying to get him to throw the ball to more then just Evans and Godwin who r there best playmakers. Therefore hurting both of there fantasy stats and probably not really helping them win the game. I mean is giving brate 14 targets really what you want to do/the best thing for the team?

Mike Evans caught 4-of-8 targets for 50 yards in the Bucs' Week 12 win over the Falcons.

Evans was close to a few second-half plays, but he was overshadowed by Chris Godwin, who finished with a 7-184-2 receiving line. The Bucs' receiver duo has shown week-winning upside this season, and they're now both over 1,000 yards on the season. Evans joined Randy Moss as the only players with at least 1,000 yards in his first six NFL seasons. Elite company. Evans will be a high-upside WR1 against the Jaguars in Week 13.

Mike Evans (hamstring) won't return Sunday.

Evans roasted Colts CB Pierre Desir for a 61-yard touchdown Sunday, but clearly was hurting after getting into the end zone. He was in obvious pain on his way to the locker room and has been ruled out. The Buccaneers will move forward with Chris Godwin, Breshad Perriman and Justin Watson in three-WR sets.

SOURCE: Scott Smith on Twitter

Dec 8, 2019, 1:50 PM ET

His season is prob over. Have him in one league, playing against Godwin in the other next week, double whammy!

He’s been garbage for the last month anyways, but nonetheless, he was someone who was in the lineup regardless.

:kicksrock:

Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said he'd be "shocked" if Mike Evans (hamstring) played again this season.

"It's not good," said Arians. "I'll be shocked if Mike makes it back before the last week." Evans will undergo an MRI to determine the severity of a hamstring injury he suffered in Sunday's win over Indianapolis. The 26-year-old has been an iron man throughout his career, missing just two games due to injury (and one to a suspension) since arriving as a first-round pick in 2014. He ranks third in receiving yards with 1,157, trailing only Michael Thomas (1,424) and teammate Chris Godwin (1,212) in that statistic. With Evans likely to miss the final three games, look for the Bucs to employ Godwin, Breshad Perriman and Justin Watson in three-wide sets moving forward.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Dec 9, 2019, 9:52 AM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Mike Evans (hamstring) is expected to miss the rest of the season.

Coach Bruce Arians refused to discuss Evans' long-term status, but it sounds like the 26-year-old stud will miss Tampa Bay's last three games "barring unexpected improvement." Fantasy managers should have second-year 91st-percentile SPARQ standout Justin Watson (6'2/215) queued up as an immediate plug-and-play against the Lions in Week 15 with another on-paper eruption spot against the Texans lined up the following Sunday. Chris Godwin, Breshad Perriman, and Watson will presumably close the year in three-wide sets pending Scotty Miller's (hamstring) availability.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Dec 10, 2019, 10:13 AM ET

droppable now for redraft?

I want to make sure he wont play next week.... hmmm
I cut him for Miller. My thinking is, only 2 weeks left, we know he’s out this week, and at best he’ll be game time decision next week. I’m not likely to gamble on him having an early exit in the championship game, so no sense in holding him

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports MIke Evans (hamstring) is out for the season.

This news reaffirms Jeremy Fowler's report from Tuesday. The organization reportedly viewed the situation as one that made "no sense" for Evans to push himself and threaten any long-term damage. The 26-year-old has been nothing short of spectacular since being drafted as the No. 7 overall pick in 2014, joining Randy Moss as the only players in NFL history to record over 1,000 receiving yards through the first six seasons of their career. Evans also broke Tampa Bay's previous franchise record for career receptions (430) with 462, finishing the year with 67/1,157/8 through 13 games played. He'll be an early second-round option in Best-Ball leagues this summer no matter Jameis Winston's contract situation.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 11, 2019, 3:20 PM ET

That fly pattern was a thing of beauty.  He just ran right past him without even looking and then turned and caught the dime.

ill take him again for sure.

His season is over, I dropped him in redraft. What reason does he have to play again with a bum hammy? 

He wants to come back and win some dorks a fantasy title? Let's be reasonable, dude is done in 2019.

Rapoport reported Evans out for the season on Wednesday, December 11th.

Today my Yahoo alert changed Evans status from out to questionable.

What the heck?
this is the exact reason I decided to hold onto him in my redraft league... sure there's a (likely) chance he's out this week, but if there's even a 1% chance he plays, I want him on my tema vs. my opponent's

And Rapoport is wrong more then he's right it seems, so there's that too

this is the exact reason I decided to hold onto him in my redraft league... sure there's a (likely) chance he's out this week, but if there's even a 1% chance he plays, I want him on my tema vs. my opponent's

And Rapoport is wrong more then he's right it seems, so there's that too
Yeah I kept him too while waiting for a final decision if he's out or not. I heard he was out for the year but I didn't see that official so I kept him.

Yeah I kept him too while waiting for a final decision if he's out or not. I heard he was out for the year but I didn't see that official so I kept him.
This kind of disturbed or better yet, confused me as well. The report from TB and coach never 100% ruled him out or put him on IR. Sure hammies are good for a 2-4 game sit, yet they left the window open, and so did Evans. For what reason is theirs. Sometimes injuries are not as bad as they first seemed and who knows how or when one recovers. Well, I held for the longest time and then took Rappoport's OUT and dropped Evans for AJ Brown in a FAAB FA pick up. Turned out great! Now I'm looking at perhaps dropping A Miller, who's playing well for a potential Evans play if something miraculous happens, for a Flex position between AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, A Miller, or M Evans. My strategy will be not to jump early and hold Miller and keep monitoring Evans. Yep 4th&inches it's a game of inches and percentages. There's a 1% flicker of possibility lingering and our league goes 17 weeks. The injury to Evans almost has him but ruled out this week........I think, but there's week 17 to consider as well.

Others here simply state a most obvious outcome - he's out, shut him down - all the while calling us names for thinking otherwise LOL. I'm a dork lol.

Tied for 1st @ 11-4 and playing this out to the end. 

Users who are viewing this thread