What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (2 Viewers)

Bracie Smathers said:
Brown was reinstated Tuesday.

He's 32 and hasn't practiced in a year.

He's scheduled for 10 to 35 snaps.

Chris Godwin is unable to return after undergoing finger surgery.

For this week the matchup is the thing to concentrate on and we 'should' get a good read on how AB will be used going forward but expect 'limited' snaps for him Sunday.
We can all say what we want about AB but this guy can roll out of bed after a 6 month binge of Big Macs and beers and get open on anyone. The only thing he needs to work on is his timing with Brady but they've already got a few go to routes dialed in I'm sure.

Not saying he's going to take over the game but he'll shake the rust off in about 10 snaps.

Mike Evans caught 4-of-6 targets for 64 yards in Week 9 against the Saints.

Evans was locked down by Marshon Lattimore, who held him without a catch in the first half. He ended up leading the Bucs in receiving, but it didn't amount to much in a game Tom Brady threw for only 209 yards. Evans has yet to look fully healthy this season and missed a few plays with a groin injury. He has a Week 10 matchup against a Panthers secondary that's given up the second fewest passing touchdowns.

Bucs head coach Bruce Arians said Mike Evans was open Sunday night against the Saints but Tom Brady didn't look his way. 

Evans had six targets as the Bucs were demolished by the Saints. “He didn’t get targeted. That’s all. Mike was open," Arians said Monday. This sounds an awful lot like criticism of Tom Brady, whose nightmarish performance led to a down day for the entire Tampa offense. Evans played an unusually high 17 snaps from the slot Sunday against the Saints with Antonio Brown in the Bucs lineup for the first time -- usage that could keep his fantasy production afloat in Tampa's crowded receiver group. 

- James Palmer

Last edited by a moderator:
He was open multiple times the week before.  Brady just missed him over and over.   He's too busy staring down Gronk and checking down to his RBs 1.2 seconds post-snap.   Brady is average at best.  

Lol. Just reading through these threads on Tampa’s WRs and the struggles of fantasy owners trying to figure out who to start. Imagine how defensive coordinators feel. 
Serves me right. I lost by 2 on the Succop meaningless field goal. Had Brady over Brees. Made me think way less of Arians as a coach than anything. Lesson is if you don’t come out inspired in the NFL you are in trouble. Regardless of talent. The line on both sides just got their asses kicked. 

Here's hoping that Arians does the squeaking of the wheel for him this week. Better yet, maybe these dopes (Arians, Leftwich) can actually scheme him in the right way.

Don't love the matchup @CAR. That D has been great at limiting WR options. 

Don't think I have a choice but to start him. Could see a big bounce back game by Brady. He will be fuming.

He was open multiple times the week before.  Brady just missed him over and over.   He's too busy staring down Gronk and checking down to his RBs 1.2 seconds post-snap.   Brady is average at best.  
I didn't see a ton of the game, but it did look like the Saints D was getting some pretty good pressure on Brady. True or False?  

Funny (or not so funny) how the article indicates that AB despite limited practices was schemed in a variety of ways, but Evans not so much.

What are these coaches thinking?
Could be thinking that Brown is a better WR than Evans? 

At this point, I view Evans as the Bucs #3 WR going forward.

travdogg said:
Could be thinking that Brown is a better WR than Evans? 

At this point, I view Evans as the Bucs #3 WR going forward.
That may be true fantasy-wise, but it's not what's happening on the field. Teams have been scheming to take Evans away all season and he's been the one that's consistently double-covered. Even without Evans seeing a lot of targets, he's the WR other teams are most worried about.

I have both Evans and Bryant. Trying to figure out if it's worth keeping both. Saw where Evans got more work in the slot last week with Bryant on the field. That seemed to help him. Yet Brady targeted Bryant quite a bit as well. Who would make good trade bait? I'd like to unload one for a RB if possible.

I have both Evans and Bryant. Trying to figure out if it's worth keeping both. Saw where Evans got more work in the slot last week with Bryant on the field. That seemed to help him. Yet Brady targeted Bryant quite a bit as well. Who would make good trade bait? I'd like to unload one for a RB if possible.
I’d trade Dez and keep Mike.

I have both as well and frankly, I find it difficult to put a value on either. Feel like I (along with a potential trade partner) needs this to shake out a bit more.

That said, I have a feeling playing the Evans/AB stack may pay off come playoff time: MN, @ATL, @DET. Those are sweet matchups for both players.

I have both as well and frankly, I find it difficult to put a value on either. Feel like I (along with a potential trade partner) needs this to shake out a bit more.

That said, I have a feeling playing the Evans/AB stack may pay off come playoff time: MN, @ATL, @DET. Those are sweet matchups for both players.
That was my thought.....but I feel pretty well stacked at WR (D.Johnson, Fulgham, A.Bryant, M.Evans).  My RBs keep getting decimated and I'm living on borrowed time there.  If I could trade one for a RB, that would help tremendously.  I'm leaning towards one of the Bucs or D.Johnson.  But all have issues.  I'm waiting for someone to step up and create some trade value, but nothing solid yet.

That was my thought.....but I feel pretty well stacked at WR (D.Johnson, Fulgham, A.Bryant, M.Evans).  My RBs keep getting decimated and I'm living on borrowed time there.  If I could trade one for a RB, that would help tremendously.  I'm leaning towards one of the Bucs or D.Johnson.  But all have issues.  I'm waiting for someone to step up and create some trade value, but nothing solid yet.
In the same kind of boat. Already have T. McLaurin and Will Fuller at WR in a 12 team PPR league. I then have three wild cards that make decision making messy: Evans, AB and M. Brown as well. Would love to consolidate with another true #1WR or gain some RB depth.

Am I nuts for benching him this weekend in favor of McLaurin, JuJu, Diontae, and Godwin?? Good problem to have, but man it seems like he's getting less and less these days in that passing attack. Yet I'm scared he'll put up 150 and 2 TDs the minute i bench him...  :bag:

Am I nuts for benching him this weekend in favor of McLaurin, JuJu, Diontae, and Godwin?? Good problem to have, but man it seems like he's getting less and less these days in that passing attack. Yet I'm scared he'll put up 150 and 2 TDs the minute i bench him...  :bag:
How about this?  You bench him and I'll start him!  

Mike Evans caught 6-of-11 targets for 77 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 10 win over the Panthers.

After not seeing a target in Week 9's blowout loss to the Saints, Evans was Brady's most targeted receiver in a dominant win. Evans followed through with that trust, including an outstanding effort on the edge of the endzone to haul in a touchdown despite great coverage. On the season, Evans has totaled 181 yards in two performances against the Panthers and 333 yards in the other eight games. With the Rams on tap in Week 11, it will be interesting to see who Jalen Ramsey is asked to shadow - if anyone.

- Rotoworld

Well he outscored Godwin by about 4 points, but I can live with that ;)

Mike Evans caught 3-of-9 targets for 50 yards and two touchdowns in the Bucs' Week 12 loss to the Chiefs.

Evans caught both of his touchdowns in the fourth quarter, scoring from 31 and seven yards out. The first was a bit of a miscommunication on the Chiefs' back end. Evans' yards haven't really been there this season, but the touchdowns are flowing in on a regular basis with 11 scores on the year as the league leader in red-zone targets. Evans will be an upside WR2 in Week 14 against the Vikings after the bye.

- Rotoworld

Mike Evans (hamstring) was downgraded to "DNP" on Thursday. 

There wasn't much concern about Evans' Week 14 status until now. He should be considered genuinely to suit up for a mouthwatering matchup with the Vikings. A few words from coach Bruce Arians or a return to "full" practice on Friday would settle the matter. Evans' status will be updated no later than Friday afternoon. 

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter 

Dec 10, 2020, 2:51 PM ET

This came from nowhere. I now have Evans, Julio, and Claypool, all DNP today, and Moore is on the Covid-19 reserve list. Down to Chark and Davis if all can't go.

This came from nowhere. I now have Evans, Julio, and Claypool, all DNP today, and Moore is on the Covid-19 reserve list. Down to Chark and Davis if all can't go.
Similar boat... unfortunately I need to decide before tonight's game on whether I want to take a chance on Evans or roll Kupp out there. 

I hate TNF

Bucs coach Bruce Arians said Mike Evans (hamstring) is "fine" for Week 14 against the Vikings.

Evans created a scare when he was downgraded to a missed practice Thursday. He was back practicing Friday and looks on track to play Sunday. Evans may not be 100 percent coming off Tampa's bye, but he's a WR1 for a favorable matchup with a Vikings secondary that's among the worst in the league. 

SOURCE: buccaneers.com

Dec 11, 2020, 12:39 PM ET

Mike Evans caught 6-of-7 targets for 110 yards in the Bucs' Week 15 win over the Falcons.

The seven targets tied Antonio Brown and Rob Gronkowski for the team lead. Evans posted a goose egg in the first quarter, and the Bucs were shut out in the first half. But Evans was the main source of yards for the offense in this one and was tackled at the one-yard line on a long catch to set up a Leonard Fournette touchdown. Evans was again later tackled inside the 10 to set up a second Fournette rushing score. It was Evans' first 100-yard game since Week 4. Evans has 11 scores on the year but hasn't found the end zone in back-to-back games ahead of a Week 16 date with the Lions where Evans will be an upside WR1/2.

Dec 20, 2020, 5:15 PM ET

Bucs' Mike Evans Day-to-Day After MRI on Knee Injury Showed No Structural Damage | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

According to Sara Walsh of NFL on Fox, Evans underwent an MRI that showed no structural damage and "very little" swelling. As a result, Evans was diagnosed with a hyperextended knee.

I screwed up the link but good news for Mike Evans. I'm happy for the guy.

Mike Evans (knee) was present for Bucs practice on Tuesday. 

More to the point, Evans was present for the walk-through portion open to the media. Evans probably won't do much, but this starts him off on the right foot to suit up for Saturday night's Wild Card game against the Football Team. At least so far, it is looking like Evans will be DFS viable, and more than just a decoy in the Bucs' offense. 

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Jan 5, 2021, 2:04 PM ET

As a lifelong Skins fan, I hope they rest Mike so he's 100% for the rest of the playoffs should they advance (and I realize they probably will) 
Truth be told, it might be a blessing in disguise for Tampa. I've thought all year, well since they got him, that Antonio Brown is their best WR, they've just been under using him. Evans goes down, and Brown instantly looks like it wasn't a coincidence to me.

Assuming they don't stubbornly relegate their best weapon back to a background role, the may have opened up their offense to being as good as any.

I hope they don't put that genie back in the bottle.

Evans sitting a week is probably best for both Evans and Tampa. 

Truth be told, it might be a blessing in disguise for Tampa. I've thought all year, well since they got him, that Antonio Brown is their best WR, they've just been under using him. Evans goes down, and Brown instantly looks like it wasn't a coincidence to me.

Assuming they don't stubbornly relegate their best weapon back to a background role, the may have opened up their offense to being as good as any.

I hope they don't put that genie back in the bottle.

Evans sitting a week is probably best for both Evans and Tampa. 
As an owner of both Godwin and Brown this season I was regrettably following this WR situation in great detail all year, and I agree with your take here. 
It was clear Evans was the most banged up of the trio all year, but whenever I watched Tampa it always seemed like AB had the most juice. So many near misses with Brady early on. But it was clear AB still had it.

Bought him (AB) for a late 3rd round pick in one of my dynasty leagues. Never guessed he would have ended up playing as well as he has so a part of me feels like i stole him.....but of course I'm scared to death of the off-season and wonder if he can stay out of trouble.  :unsure:

Bought him (AB) for a late 3rd round pick in one of my dynasty leagues. Never guessed he would have ended up playing as well as he has so a part of me feels like i stole him.....but of course I'm scared to death of the off-season and wonder if he can stay out of trouble.  :unsure:
That is fair to be worried about. 

I do wonder if Brown's proving he's still got it, makes Tampa less likely to retain Godwin. Some of that is due to financial issues elsewhere, and some because they already invested in Evans as a #1. 

As an owner of both Godwin and Brown this season I was regrettably following this WR situation in great detail all year, and I agree with your take here. 
It was clear Evans was the most banged up of the trio all year, but whenever I watched Tampa it always seemed like AB had the most juice. So many near misses with Brady early on. But it was clear AB still had it.
Noticed a lot that when somebody else made a play, Brown was usually even more open than they were, he just wasn't as high on the progression order. 

If they have Brown dialed in properly, and Evans gets healthy, we are going to have a bunch of fun/annoying conversations about Tom Brady, because this is a legit super bowl contender.

I beat the AB drum to death this offseason as a great buy low and still beating it and will beat it here a little more.

I think the concerns about him doing something are wildly overblown and to a degree it's the media shaping a narrative. For instance the incident with the security guard is something that does not get reported if it was 99% of other players in the league. On the flip side I can't tell you how many articles(and comments on this board) were filled with people saying stuff like "how long till he blows it up in Tampa", "I'll give him 1-2 weeks"  or "wait till he's not getting the ball" and general open speculation he was a ticking time bomb and he'd not make it through season in Tampa without doing something negative. I don't hear any of these people now reporting or saying he's been a model citizen on the team, one constantly praised by Arians for his hard work,  who accepted his role as the third banana and I've never seen body language or heard anyone say he was unhappy in that role.  In fact I have not  seen  negative comment about him from Tampa staff, players or local media, nothing but positive. Dude was even willing to return punts. No one says anything about that.

The sexual assault trial remains a concern and much more to me then him doing something wrong.

Mike Evans (knee) was officially "DNP" for Tuesday's practice.

Evans was moving around during the portion of Bucs practice open to the media, but he didn't do enough to earn a "limited" tag. Evans' status certainly cannot be taken for granted for Saturday evening's game against the Football Team. The Bucs could be Super Bowl-or-bust enough that they may be willing to risk holding Evans out in an effort to have him closer to 100 percent for bigger fish to fry down the road. It's still most likely that they will leave nothing to chance and do everything in their power to get him out there this Saturday. 

Jan 5, 2021, 4:49 PM ET

Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said Mike Evans (knee) is a game-time decision for the Wild Card game against Washington.

Evans reportedly did some work in the training room on Thursday and felt "ok." Arians also said if Evans is out there, that's a terrific sign he's healthy. Although his status will likely come down to the wire, it sounds as if Evans will be more than just a decoy or big threat inside the red zone if healthy. He remains an intriguing low-rostered option for any postseason fantasy contests.

SOURCE: Scott Smith on Twitter

Jan 7, 2021, 12:21 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Mike Evans (questionable, knee) will play in Saturday's Wild Card game against Washington.

Evans had been trending toward playing after a late-week return to practice. It's possible his snaps are scaled back, but even at less than 100 percent, Evans is always a threat to score. With Evans cleared, Scotty Miller will remain limited to four-wide sets.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Jan 9, 2021, 11:41 AM ET

Mike Evans caught 6-of-10 targets for 119 yards in the Bucs' Wild Card win over Washington.

Evans' Week 17 knee scare doesn't look to be overly serious. He avoided a setback in the Wild Card Round while leading the Bucs in receiving. Evans should be fully ready for next weekend. Right now, the Bucs are most likely to play the Saints in New Orleans. Expect Evans to do battle with CB Marshon Lattimore then. Historically, Lattimore has played extremely well against Evans.

Jan 9, 2021, 11:53 PM ET

Mike Evans caught a three-yard touchdown on three targets in the Bucs' Divisional Round win over the Saints.

Evans routinely struggles against CB Marshon Lattimore and the Saints, but he makes his catches count. After catching a two-yard touchdown on four targets in Week 1 at New Orleans, Evans had a similar stat line in this one. Look for a more robust box score from him next week in the NFC title game against Green Bay. The Bucs will need more from him.

Jan 17, 2021, 10:24 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread