What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (4 Viewers)

Sure, but I didn't say he has leverage.  The notion that he should just retire is premature as this is the first offseason he's not under contract.  Personally I wouldn't want my team paying him 3, 4 million.  I just dont get this idea that he is obligated to take some small contract for the privilege of 150 car crashes next year.  
This is the first thing I thought of, and in those exact terms, while I was reading this last night.

Was Carlos Hyde the right addition to the Seahawks backfield?

Excerpt:

The decline of Devonta Freeman

We can use Next Gen Stats and OSM going back to the 2016 season to paint a bigger picture.

Freeman put up 1,079 rushing yards in 2016, at 4.8 yards per carry, for 11 touchdowns in 2016. His OSM grade that year was 19.77 making him our RB8 and scoring well above the league average of 15.64. His yards per carry saw him ranked 11th out of 53 qualifying running backs.

Since then, Freeman has shown a decline in every season. He lost a season to injury in 2018 but his decline had already begun in 2017. His OSM grade slipped to 16.13, below the league average and his yards per carry fell to 4.4, ranking him 11th out of 50. This trend continued in 2019 where his 3.6 YPC left him ranked 46th out of 48 running backs.

The same decline is seen in his running back efficiency. Efficiency is measured by how many yards a player travels to gain a yard on the field. Freeman has never been the most efficient back in the NFL but has dropped from 4.05 yards to 4.59 yards between 2016 and 2019. Last season, he was the least efficient running back in the NFL.

bostonfred said:
Freeman was really good from 2015 to 2017.

Shanahan was the offensive coordinator from 2015 to 2017.
Had him in many leagues... sold him just on time. One of the best players that I have ever had. Got him pretty low in draft, got a lot of points from him, then good reward while trading him. It was situation over talent, but situation was really good. Wouldn't wanna own him anymore in any situation. The fact that he didn't come to Seattle says it all. He's not gonna get a lot chances and is in a downward spiral... 

NFL team purses don't care about how much money Freeman has saved. That doesn't give him leverage.   If he wants to retire, then retire. 
Exactly. Teams will look at what he did after he got the big $ and that was virtually nothing. So he can name his price all day long but only a really dumb GM would pay him above the vet minimum on a prove it deal. 

Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians when asked about adding free agent RB Devonta Freeman said "If his price tag was reasonable."

Arians added, "He's asking for a lot of money and we don't have a lot of money." It's intriguing because the Buccaneers apparently don't view their backfield as complete. Ronald Jones and Ke'Shawn Vaughn are tentatively expected to form a two-RB committee of sorts, but Dare Ogunbowale could easily again function as the offense's pass-down back. Perhaps the Bucs roll the dice with another veteran free agent like Lamar Miller. Meanwhile, Freeman is reportedly willing to skip the 2020 season if he's not compensated enough.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

Jun 4, 2020, 12:06 PM ET

I'm beginning to question how serious he is about playing football anymore.  You have interest from the absolute ideal scenario getting to play with Brady and possibly contending for a superbowl (not to mention getting to play the team that just cut you twice a year.)  He'd likely be the lead back in a committee.  Like, how much money is he trying to hold out for?  No one's signing him to a 6 or 7 mil contract at this point.

I'm beginning to question how serious he is about playing football anymore.  You have interest from the absolute ideal scenario getting to play with Brady and possibly contending for a superbowl (not to mention getting to play the team that just cut you twice a year.)  He'd likely be the lead back in a committee.  Like, how much money is he trying to hold out for?  No one's signing him to a 6 or 7 mil contract at this point.
Seattle was his chance. Should fire his agent. 

Free agent RB Devonta Freeman said the Buccaneers can reach out "directly" to him if looking to negotiate a contract.

"A number of teams are interested, but we can’t negotiate through the media," Freeman stated on Twitter. "The Buccaneers can reach out to me directly." Coach Bruce Arians recently told media that Freeman is "asking for a lot of money," all but confirming the organization is still looking to add a veteran to their young backfield. With mutual interest on both sides, it would not be shocking to see the two come to an agreement over the summer. With Carlos Hyde already off the table to Seattle, LeSean McCoy and Lamar Miller would be the last remaining tenured dominos to fall once Freeman signs. 

SOURCE: Devonta Freeman on Twitter

Jun 5, 2020, 9:38 AM ET

Devonta Freeman's agent, Kristin Campbell, terminated their relationship.

Campbell was responsible for negotiating Freeman's five-year, $41.25 million extension with the Falcons in 2017. She failed to give a reason, but odds are she was unhappy her client turned down an offer from the Seahawks without consulting her back in May. The Jets, Eagles, Buccaneers, and Jaguars have also shown interest in the 28-year-old free agent this offseason, though none have reportedly extended a contract to this point. Freeman will likely be out a job until facilities re-open across the nation.

SOURCE: Mike Silver on Twitter

Jul 12, 2020, 10:35 PM ET

Maybe he'll face the music now, that is if he genuinely still wants to play football.  He'd be foolish not to go to Tampa, in my opinion.  Would likely immediately step in as the lead back.
Seems like he really needs to make a decision...either play at a lower contract or retire...tough to envision anyone giving him what he is looking for.

Free agent Devonta Freeman's player rep says his client would like to find a new team in the "immediate future." 

“We want to work out a deal in the immediate future, and we are open to any team,” was Drew Rosenhaus' exact quote. “He’s healthy, he’s in shape, and I’m on a mission to have him give a team a lift in late July.” Freeman drew scattered interest throughout most of the spring and early summer, but it would seem he's asking for far more money than any team is willing to offer. As needs clarify in the opening days of camp, someone figures to take the plunge. The Eagles and Bucs remain possibilities. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jul 21, 2020, 8:25 PM ET

"Free agent Devonta Freeman's player rep says his client would like to find a new team in the "immediate future." "

What a coincidence! So would I! :excited:

Extremely skeptical he's going to play with the Bears not seeming to make any kind of move to bring him in.  Been stubbornly holding him in dynasty but I am starting at guys like Duvernay, Cephus, Herndon on the wire and wondering what exactly I'm doing

Extremely skeptical he's going to play with the Bears not seeming to make any kind of move to bring him in.  Been stubbornly holding him in dynasty but I am starting at guys like Duvernay, Cephus, Herndon on the wire and wondering what exactly I'm doing
They really don't have a reason to since Montgomery is their guy and will likely only miss a couple of games. Freeman is washed up me thinks.

ponchsox said:
They really don't have a reason to since Montgomery is their guy and will likely only miss a couple of games. Freeman is washed up me thinks.
Even if Montgomery returns quickly, I think the bears still need to add depth behind him. The question is if Freeman is the right kind of depth. I think most teams are saying no. 

BradtheAg said:
I don't know your legal roster size, but that (Herndon especially) would seem like a run, don't walk issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI - this is a NYJ homer on the Herndon take

I agree and am happy you like him, if I miss on the early TEs he’s on my list
Very true about the NYJ, but I'm far from a homer in evaluation. Gase announced abruptly that Herndon was "the starter," lauded him extensively (something Gase never does with his guys), and Herndon had great success with Darnold when Darnold was healthy and Herndon was playing two years ago.

But I know you're part kidding, too.

Very true about the NYJ, but I'm far from a homer in evaluation. Gase announced abruptly that Herndon was "the starter," lauded him extensively (something Gase never does with his guys), and Herndon had great success with Darnold when Darnold was healthy and Herndon was playing two years ago.

But I know you're part kidding, too.
Nah, you took it the wrong way. I know you’re a Jets homer and was happy to see you like Herndons chances this yr

Hes one of my favorite TE sleepers 

Nah, you took it the wrong way. I know you’re a Jets homer and was happy to see you like Herndons chances this yr

Hes one of my favorite TE sleepers 
Oh, I did then. It's okay, I wasn't sore and hoped I didn't imply that in tone or content. I sort of found it funny you were busting my chops a bit. I do like Herndon's talent -- whether or not he keeps being a general knucklehead down to preparation remains something to be seen. He's a very good late value given that I hear his ADP is very low.

Oh, I did then. It's okay, I wasn't sore and hoped I didn't imply that in tone or content. I sort of found it funny you were busting my chops a bit. I do like Herndon's talent -- whether or not he keeps being a general knucklehead down to preparation remains something to be seen. He's a very good late value given that I hear his ADP is very low.
Yeah, Mfl ppr adp is like 150

im in at that price for sure

Freeman visiting the jaguars. 

Devonta Freeman: Visiting Jaguars

(21 mins ago) Freeman is slated to visit the Jaguars, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

With Leonard Fournette no longer on the team and Ryquell Armstead currently on the reserve/COVID-19 list, this could be a good fit for Freeman, who's been waiting for the right time to sign a deal for 2020. The Jaguars' available backfield options at the moment are Chris Thompson, Devine Ozigbo and James Robinson.

Freeman visiting the jaguars. 

Devonta Freeman: Visiting Jaguars

(21 mins ago) Freeman is slated to visit the Jaguars, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

With Leonard Fournette no longer on the team and Ryquell Armstead currently on the reserve/COVID-19 list, this could be a good fit for Freeman, who's been waiting for the right time to sign a deal for 2020. The Jaguars' available backfield options at the moment are Chris Thompson, Devine Ozigbo and James Robinson.
Hah, yeah, that's fitting. That'd tank what little value Ozigbo/Robinson have, IMO.

Stashed him at the end of my bench because he'd be immediately better than anyone Jax currently has. If he doesn't sign/play, drop him for another early lottery ticket. 

oddsbodkins said:
Stashed him at the end of my bench because he'd be immediately better than anyone Jax currently has. If he doesn't sign/play, drop him for another early lottery ticket. 
I don't think he's better, quite honestly. I'm not sure he can outpace Ozigbo and Robinson at this moment. I do have Robinson in dynasty, though, so that may be coloring my opinion. Everybody wants a free running back that starts.

I don't think he's better, quite honestly. I'm not sure he can outpace Ozigbo and Robinson at this moment. I do have Robinson in dynasty, though, so that may be coloring my opinion. Everybody wants a free running back that starts.
I think a gem will emerge out of Ozigbo or Robinson this year.

I think a gem will emerge out of Ozigbo or Robinson this year.
I hope so. My RB crew is hurting for some badly needed talent and/or opportunity. Not to mention an injection of youth. Hard to believe Robinson just sat there for so long until I pulled the auction trigger two weeks ago, which worked out for the minimum. Nobody even blinked. Fournette, Armstead, and Ozigbo were ahead of him at the time.

Enough about me. Back to Freeman. He wants too much money for the player he now is. He's barely functional, at best. Probably good in pass pro. Won't gain anything and will look like Sony Michel did last year, which is horrible. 

Hah, yeah, that's fitting. That'd tank what little value Ozigbo/Robinson have, IMO.
They’re not going to sign him. They’re just pretending that they aren’t not trying to win this season.  Not that Freeman would help them win games, but bringing in a vet creates the appearance the team is trying.

They made my choice for me when they couldn't agree to a deal. Picked up Robinson. 

They’re not going to sign him. They’re just pretending that they aren’t not trying to win this season.  Not that Freeman would help them win games, but bringing in a vet creates the appearance the team is trying.
The temporary value dip let me double stack Ozigbo and Robinson at the very end of some FanDuel best balls, so that's a bonus. 

I have a gut feeling someone is going to sign him soon.  Would the Colts do it if Mack is out for the year?  They certainly have the capital.  I'm not a big believer in Jordan Wilkins and they will need more than Taylor and Hines IMO.

I have a gut feeling someone is going to sign him soon.  Would the Colts do it if Mack is out for the year?  They certainly have the capital.  I'm not a big believer in Jordan Wilkins and they will need more than Taylor and Hines IMO.
God I hope not, but the FF gods can be cruel. 

Users who are viewing this thread