What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (14 Viewers)

NewlyRetired said:
This is not US specific but I am pretty sure Canada will make the ocho.  Here is another player who is going to add to their growing quality.  This kid has been very very good for my Revs

===============

Matthew Scianitti

@TSNScianitti

Interest in @NERevolution and CDN international Tajon Buchanan grows. Sources tell @TSN_Sports a French and a Dutch team have tabled multi-million dollar offers. Two Bundesliga clubs close to making offers, too. Next MLS transfer window opens July 7- Aug 5. Decision coming for NE
Impossible he played college soccer.  /s

I was already on the Luca de la Torre bus, now I want to drive.  This skillset, holding the ball in traffic, winning 50/50s, carrying it forward, and making cute little passes in tight spaces, seems like it's exactly what we need next to Weston.  Haven't seen enough of Musah to compare them, but I know I like what I can see and all of the above was missing v Honduras.

The player he reminds me of in these clips is Gini Wijnaldum.  All the dirty work, very hard to dispossess, reads the loose balls well and has a knack for being in the right spot on the bounce, links up very well.

Whoscored shows holding on to the ball, tackling, defensive contribution and passing as strengths, with crossing and finishing as weaknesses.  So make him the stay at home #8 with a good #6 behind him and, as @Ramsay Hunt Experience suggested, let Wes pop up wherever he wants to.

He could also play the #6 backing up Adams.

If he's not at the Gold Cup I will have a giant sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking a stab at a 23-man Gold Cup roster (bolded), starting with 40-man provisional already announced.  This won't be right and I'm 100% guessing in places to get to 23.  Anyone have more info on what's likely?

Goalkeepers: Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge, Belgium), Sean Johnson (New York City FC)David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake), Zack Steffen (Manchester City), Matt Turner (New England Revolution)

Defenders: John Brooks (Wolfsburg, Germany), Reggie Cannon (Boavista, Portugal), Sergino Dest (Barcelona, Spain), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Mark McKenzie (Genk, Belgium), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht, Belgium), Tim Ream (Fulham, England)Bryan Reynolds (Roma, Italy), Chris Richards (Hoffenheim, Germany), Antonee Robinson (Fulham, England), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC); DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray, Turkey)

Midfielders: Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg, Austria), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig, Germany), Kellyn Acosta (Colorado), Luca de la Torre (Heracles Almelo, Netherlands)Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Weston McKennie (Juventus, Italy), Yunus Musah (Valencia, Spain), Owen Otasowie (Wolverhampton, England), Cristian Roldan (Seattle), Jackson Yueill (San Jose)

Forwards: Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Tyler Boyd (Sivasspor, Turkey), Konrad de la Fuente (Barcelona, Spain), Daryl Dike (Barnsley, England), Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen, France), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea, England), Giovanni Reyna (Borussia Dortmund, Germany), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen, Germany), Jordan Siebatcheu (Young Boys, Switzerand), Tim Weah (Lille, France), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus).

Taking a stab at a 23-man Gold Cup roster (bolded), starting with 40-man provisional already announced.  This won't be right and I'm 100% guessing in places to get to 23.  Anyone have more info on what's likely?

Goalkeepers: Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge, Belgium), Sean Johnson (New York City FC)David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake), Zack Steffen (Manchester City), Matt Turner (New England Revolution)

Defenders: John Brooks (Wolfsburg, Germany), Reggie Cannon (Boavista, Portugal), Sergino Dest (Barcelona, Spain), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Mark McKenzie (Genk, Belgium), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht, Belgium), Tim Ream (Fulham, England)Bryan Reynolds (Roma, Italy), Chris Richards (Hoffenheim, Germany), Antonee Robinson (Fulham, England), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC); DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray, Turkey)

Midfielders: Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg, Austria), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig, Germany), Kellyn Acosta (Colorado), Luca de la Torre (Heracles Almelo, Netherlands)Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Weston McKennie (Juventus, Italy), Yunus Musah (Valencia, Spain), Owen Otasowie (Wolverhampton, England), Cristian Roldan (Seattle), Jackson Yueill (San Jose)

Forwards: Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Tyler Boyd (Sivasspor, Turkey), Konrad de la Fuente (Barcelona, Spain), Daryl Dike (Barnsley, England), Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen, France), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea, England), Giovanni Reyna (Borussia Dortmund, Germany), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen, Germany), Jordan Siebatcheu (Young Boys, Switzerand), Tim Weah (Lille, France), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus).
Scratch Aaron Long.  He blew out his Achilles which is why is he not on the Nations League roster.

If we were to believe GGG that the Gold Cup will be 100% different from Nations League, remove Yedlin, Ochoa, Acosta and Ream.

Other names to consider would be Julian Green, Erik Palmer Brown, Eryk Williams, Gianluca Busio and Christian Cappis

Scratch Aaron Long.  He blew out his Achilles which is why is he not on the Nations League roster.

If we were to believe GGG that the Gold Cup will be 100% different from Nations League, remove Yedlin, Ochoa, Acosta and Ream.

Other names to consider would be Julian Green, Erik Palmer Brown, Eryk Williams, Gianluca Busio and Christian Cappis
I thought you were locked into the 40-man provisional?  i.e. the 23 had to be from those 40?

I thought you were locked into the 40-man provisional?  i.e. the 23 had to be from those 40?
The provisional roster was only for Nations League.  Gold Cup can start over from scratch.

Did they announce the Gold Cup provisional roster and I missed it?

I'm probably missing something, but isn't the Gold Cup more important than the Nations League?

Gold Cup victory punches your ticket to the Confederations Cup, which is typically excellent prep for the WC

Nations League gets you a trophy

I'm probably missing something, but isn't the Gold Cup more important than the Nations League?

Gold Cup gets victory punches your ticket to the Confederations Cup, which is typically excellent prep for the WC

Nations League gets you a trophy
The Confed Cup was nuked by FIFA back in 2019 so the Gold Cup is now similar to Nations League in terms of winning is just a trophy.

The Confed Cup was nuked by FIFA back in 2019 so the Gold Cup is now similar to Nations League in terms of winning is just a trophy.
okay, that makes a ton more sense now.  Was wondering why we were sending  a B team.

Well any one hoping for revenge of wet and bumpy will be disappointed.    T&T are surprisingly out in the first round after a shock draw with Bahamas today.

As such, St Kitts becomes the first team to qualify for the second round.  St Kitts could be the first US opponent in the hex if they win their two legged tie against (Antigua or ELS).

Having to travel to ELS for the Ocho opener is not going to be fun.   

Well any one hoping for revenge of wet and bumpy will be disappointed.    T&T are surprisingly out in the first round after a shock draw with Bahamas today.

As such, St Kitts becomes the first team to qualify for the second round.  St Kitts could be the first US opponent in the hex if they win their two legged tie against (Antigua or ELS).

Meh, I want revenge on Jurgen, not T&T. 

City Xtra

@City_Xtra

#ManCity are lining up a move for Fulham left-back Antonee Robinson, with Pep Guardiola looking at the 23 year-old as a cover player for his squad. @ManCity would have to pay around £10M - which is within their budget plans.
Dude world get excellent training, but see little game time unless there's a bunch of injuries. 

Based on what I saw from his replacement? Hell yes. 

Also, while I really like the 3-5-2, debuting that against MEX in a final is... bold. 

I bet this is mind games to add to their (Mexico) tactical planning. 
As far as I can tell no one made more than 15 starts at LB for City... and I looked at all of Zinchenko, Laporte, Ake, Mendy -- am I missing someone?

Paul Kennedy

@pkedit

To put in perspective how bad Trinidad & Tobago's 0-0 tie at Bahamas was -- that knocked it out of WCQ -- Bahamas came into the game ranked 201 in the world (out of 203 teams).

Saturday was No. 1 seed at No. 5 in this round of Concacaf qualifying.

The other results: 13-0, 10-0, 8-0, 7-0, 7-0

Saw a Tweet that showed a statement from  Berhalter regarding why he didn’t start Musah.

Came off as a backpedal to me, almost like admitting the mistake. 

Saw a Tweet that showed a statement from  Berhalter regarding why he didn’t start Musah.

Came off as a backpedal to me, almost like admitting the mistake. 
Cuz it was a mistake.  I think he'll be starting tomorrow along with Weston. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Adams starts.

Question is will we also see Sieb starting?

I wouldn't mind seeing the team go strikerless in a 352 tomorrow

.............................Steffen

............McKenzie.....Miazga........Brooks

Dest....................Adams..........................Robo

...............Weston..............Musah

.....................Gio......Pulisic
Would LOVE this lineup. Aaronson super sub.

I wouldn't mind seeing the team go strikerless in a 352 tomorrow

.............................Steffen

............McKenzie.....Miazga........Brooks

Dest....................Adams..........................Robo

...............Weston..............Musah

.....................Gio......Pulisic
This would be great.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Lletget starts with Adams coming off the bench and also wouldn't be surprised if Ream sneaks in there instead of McKenzie or Miazga.

This would be great.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Lletget starts with Adams coming off the bench and also wouldn't be surprised if Ream sneaks in there instead of McKenzie or Miazga.
If 3 at the back i think you might see Ream instead of 2 youngsters + Brooks.  With Ream, I do worry about the team getting caught upfield and MEX countering quickly before the 6 can cover.  Ream would not be my choice in snuffing out the counter. 

here are a quick update of Concacaf qualifying with one game left in round 1.  The scheduling worked out nearly perfectly where the deciding game is with the teams involved in possible advancement playing each other in the final game of the round.

Group A - ELS, Antigua and  Montserrat are all alive.  ELS has best chance to advance.  They host Antigua and hold a GD advantage in group. 

Group B - Only Canada and Suriname left.  Canada hosts* Suriname and has GD advantage.  Draw and Canada advances.   *game is being played in Chicago.

Group C - Only Guat and Curacao are left.  Level on points and GD.  Cuuracao hosts Guat in final game.

Group D - Panama is in first followed by Domincan Republic.  Panama hosts Dominican Repiblic and just need a draw to advance

Group E - Haiti leads Nicaragua only on GD.  Haiti hosts Nicaragua in final game.

Group F - St Kitts has already advanced to next round

If 3 at the back i think you might see Ream instead of 2 youngsters + Brooks.  With Ream, I do worry about the team getting caught upfield and MEX countering quickly before the 6 can cover.  Ream would not be my choice in snuffing out the counter. 
I agree that Ream has a good chance to play but I don't think we should consider Miazga a youngster any more.  He is going to be 26 next month and has plenty of pro experience.

Was just asking myself “how do we get aaronson into this starting 11”
Against a good team, you sit Gio, that is pretty much it.

Against a team you are favored against, you might be able to use Aaronson in place of Musah.

Tonight is going to tell us a lot about GGG and how well he can adapt/change and/or how stubborn he is.  If Yueill is in the lineup tonight, I'm officially done with him no matter what the result is (tonight or moving forward). 

Tonight is going to tell us a lot about GGG and how well he can adapt/change and/or how stubborn he is.  If Yueill is in the lineup tonight, I'm officially done with him no matter what the result is (tonight or moving forward). 
I think this is a common theme for many fans tonight. 

Some have already given up on GGG no matter what happens tonight but those are mostly fans who gave him no chance from the very beginning.

We have 3-4 players for 2 positions on the field: CP, Gio, Aaronson, Weah.  CP is a lock.  The other 3 I could see rotating in/out of the starting lineup for another decade. 

Unless one figures out how to play more central (or as a wing-back / wide midfielder in a 3 man back line. 

We have 3-4 players for 2 positions on the field: CP, Gio, Aaronson, Weah.  CP is a lock.  The other 3 I could see rotating in/out of the starting lineup for another decade. 
And that is only assuming we literally don't develop even a single new wide player in the next 10 years, which seems very unlikely considering everyone you listed is U23 already.

Wing does seem safe for a long time even if we sustain an injury or two.

Gio, for all his pouting, was a bright spot and creates too much to sit. As much as I love Aaronson, Gio has to start over him, IMO.
he is our resident diva but I have noticed in the last two games him trying to not be a total richard. I have even seen him give a thumbs up a few times to his teammates even on plays that did not connect.

Hopefully some of this divaness is just lack of maturity and left over remnants of being the best player in his age group since forever.

he is our resident diva but I have noticed in the last two games him trying to not be a total richard. I have even seen him give a thumbs up a few times to his teammates even on plays that did not connect.

Hopefully some of this divaness is just lack of maturity and left over remnants of being the best player in his age group since forever.
I noticed the same. I don't mind the ####ty body language. That may be who he is. As long as he is a team player and performs, let him be who he is.

As far as I can tell no one made more than 15 starts at LB for City... and I looked at all of Zinchenko, Laporte, Ake, Mendy -- am I missing someone?
I don't think so, and then I went to whoscored and Robinson ended up with the same ranking as Zinchenko (both 6.84) with the other three lower.  So maybe it isn't so crazy after all.  None of those guys are really anything more than squad level players at City.  

It may also have something to do with the HG rule (I'm guessing Robinson qualifies) while none of those other 4 do.  It would essentially give them more flexibility in using the 17 foreign slots.  They essentially replace a squad level LB with a squad level HG LB.  They play enough matches that you'd have to assume he'd get enough run.

Users who are viewing this thread