What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please to rank Purple Rain (1 Viewer)

How great?

• With the best albums ever

Votes: 41 23.4%
  • Great

Votes: 61 34.9%
  • Pretty freakin good but let's not go crazy

Votes: 33 18.9%
  • Good, solid album

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Do. Not. Like.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Laughable that you even made this a poll

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • In the running for most overrated/worst ever

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
One of the greatest albums ever, and has one of the highest batting averages of great songs to total songs on the album. Not a true skip from top to bottom.

I voted great. Not many albums I would call one of the greatest ever
Is the avatar really your face?
Yes. Where do I rank on the offdee scale?
need to see a smile to truly evaluateETA: lot of potential though!
Are you a woman?

Smiling in pictures is hard for me. It always looks forced. I prefer a genuine smile
I am not. But I do love Purple Rain.

Are you a woman?Smiling in pictures is hard for me. It always looks forced. I prefer a genuine smile
You prefer the male persuasion?

Are you a woman?Smiling in pictures is hard for me. It always looks forced. I prefer a genuine smile
what

what
You commented on my looks so I thought you like men

Not that there is anything wrong with that

what
You commented on my looks so I thought you like men

Not that there is anything wrong with that
oh sorry! no it just seemed like every time yo uwere here you had no avatar. i was just curious not gay.

Option 3.

I am not a big Prince fan, but this album is pretty damn good. Not one of the best albums ever by any stretch of the imagination, but still pretty freaking good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's talk about what it means to be one of the greatest albums ever. Top 7 ever? Top 1% ever? Top 5%?

I tried to briefly look at percentages of pro athletes that become hall of famers. Looks like 5-10% of eligible baseball players eventually get it (historically - it's a much smaller percentage more recently). But to be eligible you have to play in the majors for parts of 10 seasons, so I'd imagine that culls out most Major Leaguers right off the bat.

In music you'd need some similar type of eligibility requirement. I'd imagine a billion albums have been released, with most of them totally sucking. So maybe you'd shrink the pool initially by requiring a certain number of albums sold/downloads? And/or a certain number of songs "charting" for a given period of time?

And even looking at sports hall of fames, that only gets us to "great" or "pretty freakin good but . . .". Greatest ever is just a subsection of Halls of Fame.

Anyhoo - even without knowing the eligibility requirements, Purple Rain is among the greatest ever

It is easily one of the top 2-3 albums of the 80s...granted a crappy decade for music overall but still impressive. All-time great album IMO.

Big Prince fan, this was a great album. And the argument could be made that it is Prince's best work. But GOAT? No.

why would you hijack your own thread?
I know it. But I got it back on track. Let's not dwell on it.

PS did you know that Nikki masturbating with a magazine was the impetus for Tipper Gore's explicit labeling campaign?
I thought it was a rap album that got that started.

Here's the thing about threads. As someone who has started maybe one or two I can tell you they rarely go as planned and sometimes the hijack takes you somewhere better than where you started. Just roll with it. It will meander back eventually.

1999 might actually be better musically. I just liked the funky stuff better. PR is great but it's consciously pop, no bad songs on PR (IIRC), which is an accomplishment in itself but musically I don't think it hits great or groundbreaking which is what is necessary to get to that top echelon. Given all his talent the lil' guy might have left more in the studio (and not on marketed track) than any modern performer.

Last edited by a moderator:
1999 might actually be better musically. I just liked the funky stuff better. PR is great but it's consciously pop, no bad songs on PR (IIRC), which is an accomplishment in itself but musically I don't think it hits great or groundbreaking which is what is necessary to get to that top echelon. Given all his talent the lil' guy might have left more in the studio (and not on marketed track) than any modern performer.
Supposedly has hundreds, maybe thousands, of songs written that we will likely never hear.

I wasn't sure how I felt about Prince, but when he tricked Apollonia into getting nekkid and jumping into some lake that wasn't Lake Minnetonka I knew he was a genius.

If someone hijacks their own thread can we call that Thorning?

Prince is one of the best and most talented pop artists of all time.

Purple Rain is his finest album, and belongs in the pop album pantheon.

But it's still pop. So went with let's not go crazy.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
:goodposting: 1999 is just as good IMO. Even his work with the NPG is solid. Basically, I think he put out solid albums in the 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread