What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolly Parton Rockstar (1 Viewer)

Psychopav

Help us, Joebi-Wan Brynobi, you're our only ho
Just got done listening to Dolly Parton's new rock album and I have to say, it lives up to my expectations. It's over an hour and a half of music - 30 songs that she doesn't chintz out on. She doesn't re-arrange a ton, instead putting her stamp on some very recognizable hits while very clearly intentionally staying true to the originals. The production values are superb, and I think it'll be a great road trip album.

I can't believe the songs and artists she pulled together for this album. It's really quite phenomenal to hear major - even some legendary - artists duetting or even signing backup for Dolly on some of their biggest hits, and some of the best moments on the album are when she harmonizes with these greats and you realize just how good they sound together. Here are just some of the guest performers featured on this album (full track listing with featured artists from Wikipedia below):

• Sting on Every Breath you Take
  • Steve Perry on Open Arms
  • Ann Wilson on Magic Man
  • John Fogerty (she got freaking John Fogerty?) to sing on Long as I Can See the Lighe
  • Peter Frampton on Baby I Love Your Way
  • Debbie Harry on Heart of Glass
  • Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Peter Frampton, and Mick Fleetwood are Dolly's backup band on Let it Be
  • And Lynyrd freaking Skynyrd (including Ronnie Van Zant no less) on Free Bird

This album is like a greatest hits of Rock 'n' Roll, a mixtape to end all mixtapes. Purple Rain? Stairway to Heaven? Free Bird? We are the Champions? They're all here. She also has several original songs, including one featuring an Elvis impersonator who sings the chorus of I Will Always Love You (if you know the story you'll appreciate it). Oh, the Jordanaires join her for that one, a bow to Elvis that kicks off the the album's conclusion. From there, she moves into Let It Be and wraps things up with Free Bird.

Does she sound 77? She does. But she didn't let that slow her down, and it didn't affect my enjoyment or appreciation for what this is, which is really a love letter to Rock 'n' Roll. If you haven't checked this out, I highly recommend.

Full Track List Here, and I've not even listed half of the guest performers above.

I thought Bygones was pretty good when it was released :unsure:
I agree. I really liked the one she did with Steven Tyler too - I Want You Back. These are legit rock 'n' roll songs, not country songs pretending to be rock 'n' roll.

I couldn't get past the first song, which was awful. I love Dolly, though, so maybe I'll give it another listen all the way through. She deserves it!

This whole thing started when the Rock N Roll Hall of Shame put her in AFTER she said she's not a Rockstar ...and didn't deserve to be inducted.....so then they did it .....so she felt obligated to do a rock album....total joke

This whole thing started when the Rock N Roll Hall of Shame put her in AFTER she said she's not a Rockstar ...and didn't deserve to be inducted.....so then they did it .....so she felt obligated to do a rock album....total joke
May be a joke for them putting her in...but kudos to Dolly for saying...alright, I will put out a rock album and going out and promoting it (which, will only promote her and her other endeavors and philanthropies).

Dolly is a national treasure, but I think this was pretty uneven. I liked the Night Moves cover. And Dolly sounds best when she commits to full-on wailing. But when she scales it down, her voice has kind of a Granny from Beverly Hillbillies vibe that I can't shake. Wrecking Ball just reminded me that I want Miley Cyrus to do an album with all those rock covers she's been blowing the doors off of live for the past few years.

I gave this an honest try yesterday on my way home from work. I can appreciate what she's trying to do here.

Did not like it at all.

Dolly is a national treasure, but I think this was pretty uneven. I liked the Night Moves cover. And Dolly sounds best when she commits to full-on wailing. But when she scales it down, her voice has kind of a Granny from Beverly Hillbillies vibe that I can't shake. Wrecking Ball just reminded me that I want Miley Cyrus to do an album with all those rock covers she's been blowing the doors off of live for the past few years.

Agree with the uneven opinion. Wanted to like it a lot, and it has moments, but not enough. 30 tracks is a ton. I would scratch all originals for a straight Dolly albums, decide on the best 10 - 15 covers and just put that out. I did think the banter with the guests on some of the songs was fun. Steven Tyler telling her he doesn't drink anymore and Dolly saying she doesn't drink any less made me laugh.

I love cover songs, will probably save Wrecking Ball, Purple Rain, Satisfaction and Let It Be in a favorites playlist.

Yeah, I gave it another listen last night before bed and I felt the same way you did. She's going to be the halftime performer in Dallas tomorrow, so that's awesome. I love her, but this album didn't do anything for me.

You see Miley on the Howard Stern show perform with Metallica? So f'n good.

I guess I kind of liked a few of the covers but I can't get past hearing her dentures while she's singing. It sounds like she's in the dentist's chair while trying to get certain words out.

Listening to it this afternoon on Prime Music. I'm not a Dolly fan, but some of these songs are pretty good.

I really like the Heartbreaker rendition with Pat Benatar.

Yeah, I gave it another listen last night before bed and I felt the same way you did. She's going to be the halftime performer in Dallas tomorrow, so that's awesome. I love her, but this album didn't do anything for me.

You see Miley on the Howard Stern show perform with Metallica? So f'n good.
She also did Edge of Midnight (Midnight Sky and Edge of Seventeen mashup) on Stern during the pandemic. Her wheelhouse truly is "Stevie Nicks on steroids."

I couldn't get past the first song, which was awful. I love Dolly, though, so maybe I'll give it another listen all the way through. She deserves it!

Felt the same way. Like and respect Dolly for being one of the female pioneers in country, but would rather listen to The Police or whoever do their own songs than Dolly trying to rock them out. I wanted to like it but just don`t.

Yeah she didn't even have a microphone, and she misses her "Happy Thanksgiving everybody!" cue. Forgive me for a wee bit of trolling ;)

That said, how the hell does a 77 year old fit into that outfit? Even if it was made entirely of Spanx, there didn't seem to be any CGI involved. And really other than the very end she was remarkably on point and in synch - although I read that she also lip synchs her live performances nowadays as well. In a weird way, that's kind of forgiveable given her whole image etc. My wife saw an interview where she was asked if "dumb blond" jokes bothered her, and her answer was not at all, she's not even a blond :lol:

And they did a very good job with the audio. It both seemed to be contemporary (not old recordings) but also had less of that Granny Clampett sound you get from many of the Rockstar performances.

My wife told me that they had to cut one of the songs. I wonder what else they had planned.

Users who are viewing this thread