What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Popular Songs With Terrible Lyrics (1 Viewer)

A Horse With No Name
America definitely has some questionable lyrics. Sandman has the very baffling chorus, with the bonus negative of rhyming man with sandman:

'Cause I understand you've been running from the man
That goes by the name of the Sandman
He flies the sky like an eagle in the eye
Of a hurricane that's abandoned
'Cause the free wind is blowing through your hair
And the days surround your daylight there
Seasons crying no despair
Alligator lizards in the air

With all due respect to the great Ronnie James Dio,

Ride the tiger
You can see his stripes but you know he's clean
Oh, don't you see what I mean?
I actually do not see what you mean, Ronnie. :oldunsure:

Sorry totally disagree, this one's a gem.
Oh it’s a fun song! It’s super catchy, and I’ve sung along to it many, many times at beach bonfires with a ghetto blaster cranking it while pallets burned & beer flowed like water.

But it’s unquestionably a terrible, awful story with a bad ending. And the detective, Billy Mack “ain't gonna let those two escape justice
He makes his livin' off of the people's taxes”

Yeah - that’s the 1st and last we ever hear of this utter failure of a man. And it’s another terrible rhyme of justice & taxes. Feels like Miller forced in “facts is” because he felt bad about that one.

Why would we possibly root for Billie Joe and Bobbie Sue?! They got high and robbed/shot/killed a dude in his own house!
Have you ever been to ooh, old El Paso? Mercy kill.

I know we're all old and only listen to classic rock and such, but Lil Yachty belongs here for 2 reasons:

1. “My new ##### yellow
She blow that #### like a cello."

Yachty's method of cello playing seems to differ from... everyone? else's.

2. His explanation of it is more FANtastic than the NBA

"Before you come at me, I’ma let you know. I’ma blame my A&R. Because he listened to that song many times and he allowed me to say that. I guess for a second, I thought a cello was a woodwind instrument and it is not. And nobody ever said ####. Nobody ever pulled up a pic and said, “Hey man. I don’t know if you know what this is, but it ain’t that.” I ####ed up. I thought Squidward played the cello. He don’t. That’s a flute. I ####ed up. But it do sound good.”

Jeesh......some people take music really seriously. If it's catchy and easy to remember it works for me. I don't think I have ever thought about the in depth symbolism or meaning of any song. It's just there for entertainment for me. Nothing more, nothing less.
It’s just fun to joke around. I don’t think anyone here is actually mad that some songs have corny or nonsensical lyrics.

A Horse With No Name
America definitely has some questionable lyrics. Sandman has the very baffling chorus, with the bonus negative of rhyming man with sandman:

I was gonna post this one after seeing the Horse with No Name and Sandman discussion.

America has perhaps the widest gap between quality of lyrics and quality of the singing of those lyrics.

Such as this passage from "Green Monkey":

Smell the perfume of the silent dream
Fly the ocean, read a story to me
Speak the wisdom of a redwood tree
Speak to me

Thin Lizzy, Jailbreak

there’s gonna be a jailbreak
somewhere in this town

If I had to guess, it’s probably going to be at the jail.
They're from Ireland -- maybe their towns had more than one jail.
Could be at the Protestant jail. Could be at the Catholic jail. Could be that you passed out in the pub and woke up at 4am in the keg room, surrounded by nitrogen tanks and potato sacks.

Anything by candlebox. Here's a snippet from far behind. Good to listen to, but boy not if you know the lyrics..

But then someday people look at you
For what they call their own, they watch you suffer
Yeah, they hear you calling home
And then some day we could take our time
To brush the leaves aside so you can reach us
Yeah, but you left me far behind

I mean what??? It's gibberish

Anything by candlebox. Here's a snippet from far behind
That's a good call. I think I've grown to like You better because its lyrics, while not great, are better than Far Behind.

Was a little disappointed that if you google lyrics for Far Behind it says that the line after "didn't mean to treat you oh so bad, but I did it anyway..."
is "now I'm saying"
I always thought he was saying "know what I'm saying?", which is stupider but way funnier imo

MacArthur Park was a huge hit twice, first for Richard Harris and then for Donna Summer. It was also a hit on the country charts for Waylon Jennings. And it's got maybe the dumbest lyrics of all time.

MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again

MacArthur Park was a huge hit twice, first for Richard Harris and then for Donna Summer. It was also a hit on the country charts for Waylon Jennings. And it's got maybe the dumbest lyrics of all time.

2nd reference this topic. I’d say it’s in the lead for sure.

"Before you come at me, I’ma let you know. I’ma blame my A&R. Because he listened to that song many times and he allowed me to say that. I guess for a second, I thought a cello was a woodwind instrument and it is not. And nobody ever said ####. Nobody ever pulled up a pic and said, “Hey man. I don’t know if you know what this is, but it ain’t that.” I ####ed up. I thought Squidward played the cello. He don’t. That’s a flute. I ####ed up. But it do sound good.”

This absolutely made my day. I mean holy ****. Talk about unwavering and unflinching honesty there. :lmao:

If your body needs water
Keep on dancing 'cause you oughta
Keep the blood flowing down to your feet
Brother Lois should be around in a minute
With a bucket filled with squirreled meat

This absolutely made my day. I mean holy ****. Talk about unwavering and unflinching honesty there. :lmao:
It’s an instant classic. I loved it too. :lol:

2nd reference this topic. I’d say it’s in the lead for sure.
The other great thing about Donna Summer's version, lyrically, is the title is MacArthur Park (non-possessive), but in singing the lyrics, it's MacArthur's Park (possessive).

I'd say, scientifically speaking, somewhere between 60% and 95% of all lyrics don't stand up to scrutiny. Thus I figure this thread is really about the worst of the worst, and there have been some excellent candidates posted so far.

On listening, I always thought these lyrics were pretty bad, but on seeing them in print, maybe not in the same league as some of the previous posts...

Crying In The Rain - Whitesnake

A black cat moans when he's burnin' with the fever
A stray dog howls when he's lonely in the night
A woman goes crazy with the thoughts of retribution
Then a man starts weepin' when he's sick and tired of life

[Verse]
I keep on dreamin' dreams of tomorrow
Feel I'm wastin' my time lightin' candles in the wind
Always takin' my chances on the promise of the future
But a heart full of sorrow paints a lonely tapestry

[Pre-Chorus]
The sun is shinin'
Ooh, but it's rainin' in my heart

[Pre-Chorus]
No one understands the heartache
No one feels the pain
No one ever sees the tears

[Chorus]
When you're crying in the rain
Crying in the rain

[Verse]
I can never deny all the sweet things I've tasted
Though I've been mistreated, I keep coming back for more, more, more
I know where I'm goin', there's no hope for absolution
I can't seem to separate the good times from the bad

[Pre-Chorus]
The sun is shinin'
Ooh baby, it's still rainin' in my heart, in my heart

[Pre-Chorus]
No one feels the pain

[Chorus]
No, no, no!

[Pre-Chorus]
The sun is shinin'
But it's rainin' in my heart
[Pre-Chorus]
No one feels the pain

[Chorus]

[Outro]
Crying in the rain
Crying in the rain

Are you a-gettin' it?
Yes, armageddon it.
But really gettin' it?
YES, ARMAGEDDON IT.
I was a big metal/hair band fan in the 80s and still listen to that music a lot. The lyrics by most of those bands are horrific at best and show just how terrible those guys were at songwriting. The musicianship pulled me in though and I have to ignore the lyrics. What Def Leppard did on the Hysteria album is just pitiful though. That was the biggest sell out I have ever seen. I have hated that album from day one and can’t believe that is what they released after Pyro and On Through the Night.

Your lipstick stains
On the front lobe of my left-side brains
I knew I wouldn't forget you
And so I went and let you blow my mind
Your sweet moonbeam
The smell of you in every single dream I dream
I knew when we collided
You're the one I have decided who's one of my kind
I might actually pick a fight with this guy if I bumped into him in person

I kind of like it. :shrug: He actually sampled three songs: Sweet Home Alabama, Werewolves of London, and Night Moves
Yeah, thanks it was hard to recognize those "samples" in that song, he was so subtle with it.
When the Kid Rock song was on heavy radio play, it was always a sad moment when you realized that you weren't actually about to hear Werewolves of London.

The lyrics to "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner could have been written by a 5 year old:

Well, I'm hot blooded, check it and see
I got a fever of a hundred and three
Come on baby, do you do more than dance?
I'm hot blooded, I'm hot blooded

You don't have to read my mind, to know what I have in mind
Honey you oughta know
Now you move so fine, let me lay it on the line
I wanna know what you're doin' after the show

The rest of the lyrics aren't any better.

A Horse With No Name

Little known fact....At least I think it's little known. Prince got the name 'Purple Rain' from this song

I would put the entire Pinball Wizard song here. Tommy be damned ... Who the f cares about a loser playing pinball. And he is "dumb, deaf and blind". OK. Got it. Blind dude playing pinball.(y)

Your lipstick stains
On the front lobe of my left-side brains
I knew I wouldn't forget you
And so I went and let you blow my mind
Your sweet moonbeam
The smell of you in every single dream I dream
I knew when we collided
You're the one I have decided who's one of my kind
I might actually pick a fight with this guy if I bumped into him in person
Fun fact #2:
Back when I lived in SF in my early 20s, I’d sometimes play ragtime / fingerstyle blues guitar on Haight for extra beer money. I was well-practiced back then, and had a pretty solid repertoire. (I’ve since developed arthritis & barely play any more)

The manager of a Mediterranean restaurant on Haight St heard me one Saturday, and asked if I’d come by and play a set at an acoustic event they were doing. He said he’d pay me a little, i could pass the hat for tips and they’d feed me some dinner.

Sure, why not. I went out, did my 5-6 songs, finished with 12 Sticks by Rev. Gary Davis, got a bunch of love from the crowd, and went to eat my falafel plate.

The headlining band came out - like 5-6 guys, multiple hand drums & percussion instruments, couple guitars.

They were legitimately good - like, harmonies, solid original songs with professional arrangement.

Fast forward a bunch of years, and I’m living in Seattle, turning on the Grammy awards, and holy crap, it’s that band! They’re performing & winning a Grammy. It’s Train.

So yeah - technically speaking, I can honestly say that I opened for Train. I think it was one of the 1st times they’d played in SF.

Their lyrics were always pretty iffy. lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread