What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Board Games (1 Viewer)

I am embarrassed at how much of my life I wasted playing Risk in my younger years.

I have a lifetime undefeated streak in Balderdash. I can bull#### with the best of them.

Was at the beach this past week with some other families, and played some new games.

Two I enjoyed a lot were Acquire and Pandemic.

Pandemic is a cool cooperative type game where it's the group vs. the game.

Was at the beach this past week with some other families, and played some new games.

Still play Acquire from time to time with the inlaws. It's embarrassing how much I love/loved that game.

I'm trying to play more, but I don't really have a group of people to play with much. For whatever reason, I respond most to games with really strong theme/narrative components. I've tried playing a few Euro games online, but for whatever reason I'm impatient with the learning curve if the game is too abstract.

Still play Acquire from time to time with the inlaws. It's embarrassing how much I love/loved that game.
I play Acquire a few times a month with the same group of guys. I'm sure some of the board game snobs here frown upon it, but it's my favorite.

I play Acquire a few times a month with the same group of guys. I'm sure some of the board game snobs here frown upon it, but it's my favorite.
Question: What percent of the time does the majority owner of the largest hotel win the game? Based on my experience this week, it seemed like "always".

Not necessarily a board game, but Quirkle is fun. Also, Blokus.

Cards Against Humanity is also great.
Haven't played the adult Apples to Apples, but I have heard good things.
Adult? I know for drinking games we take the standard game, throw out the green cards and make up terms like: Favorite position, best prostitute name etc. Usually after several drinks it takes us a while to get through a set because we are laughing so hard.

Question: What percent of the time does the majority owner of the largest hotel win the game? Based on my experience this week, it seemed like "always".
I'd probably say its about 50/50., but I think it depends on how the game played out. You can win without having majority of the largest hotel if you played small ball and were majority on a lot of other smaller hotels.

We tend to play defensively a lot, and will wipe out the Quantum chains as fast as possible, which means the Saxon's of the game end up being the biggest a lot of the time. You can make a lot of $ if you merge/turn over Quantum 2-3 times before getting it to go safe.

:nerd:

In larger games with more experienced players, that percentage goes way down. In my group, which is usually a 5-6 player game, I would guess the majority holder of the largest hotel half the time. As you play more you learn how to defend against the big chain and how to use the edges/corners of the board to stack up small mergers. Also, in a bigger game it's easier to shut players out of mergers, so it's easier to create cash flow problems for the player holding majority in the biggest chain.ETA: our house rules on money and stocks may be a factor, too. Players have to show if they own a stock, but not the exact number of shares. So you can look around the table and see who owns Quantum, you can count how many unsold shares of Quantum remain, but you aren't guaranteed an answer if you ask another player how many shares of Quantum are in their portfolio.

With cash, players have to keep it all on the table, but don't have reveal how much they have left. So most of the time players keep their cash in one big stack with the $100s on top.

With this system, sometimes players don't know if they are majority (or more often, second majority) of a safe chain until the game ends and everyone counts up their shares, especially if the biggest chain was a late- breaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned

I'd probably say its about 50/50., but I think it depends on how the game played out. You can win without having majority of the largest hotel if you played small ball and were majority on a lot of other smaller hotels. We tend to play defensively a lot, and will wipe out the Quantum chains as fast as possible, which means the Saxon's of the game end up being the biggest a lot of the time. You can make a lot of $ if you merge/turn over Quantum 2-3 times before getting it to go safe.

In our group, the biggest chain at the end is usually in the America/Fusion/Hydra class. Players who sink a lot of starter cash into Quantum and Phoenix are drawing bullseyes on themselves. Sackson and Zeta are usually the last two on the board, but they are also a great way to fly under the radar and buy a lot of stock when cash is thin.

I got Settlers of Catan a few months ago and played it with regular rules a few times. I need ideas for alternate setups to keep it interesting.

anyone have recommendations for a good 2 player game?
My daughter and I play Burger Joint. Head-to-head resource allocation game - whoever invented it played Settlers Of Catan a lot and wanted to simplify it around a different theme. First couple times to play it take over an hour, then it's about 35-45 minutes. More than one way to win, when both players are playing well it's tough for one player to get too much of an advantage.

I'm trying to play more, but I don't really have a group of people to play with much. For whatever reason, I respond most to games with really strong theme/narrative components. I've tried playing a few Euro games online, but for whatever reason I'm impatient with the learning curve if the game is too abstract.
That's odd you'd say this because I find one of the best part of Euros is they tie a theme well to some complex rules.

Check out rahdo - www.youtube.com/user/rahdo & boardgamegeek.com/user/rahdo - he reviews games based on a two-player perspective, those two being he and his wife.

Race for the Galaxy is a good two-player game. Not hard to grok and easy to set up/put away.

I'd probably say its about 50/50., but I think it depends on how the game played out. You can win without having majority of the largest hotel if you played small ball and were majority on a lot of other smaller hotels. We tend to play defensively a lot, and will wipe out the Quantum chains as fast as possible, which means the Saxon's of the game end up being the biggest a lot of the time. You can make a lot of $ if you merge/turn over Quantum 2-3 times before getting it to go safe.

In our group, the biggest chain at the end is usually in the America/Fusion/Hydra class. Players who sink a lot of starter cash into Quantum and Phoenix are drawing bullseyes on themselves. Sackson and Zeta are usually the last two on the board, but they are also a great way to fly under the radar and buy a lot of stock when cash is thin.
I would've never guessed in a million years that I'd see a discussion about Acquire strategy here. I think it's time to shut the FFA down. We've now talked about every possible thing under the sun.

My two kids and I have been playing a ton of Munchkin lately. Not the best situation because you really need more than three players and my daughter is still a bit young, but we are having a lot of fun with it. I played with a bunch of experienced players at a comic book shop and had a blast seeing how it's really played.

Just got CAH for my ACL trip. Looking forward to giving that a shot. Also want to get the Firefly game, especially when I found out that there is a single player campaign for it.

I watch a ton of Tabletop on YouTube to the point where I contributed financially to Season Three. Great show to see what games are out there.

Check out rahdo - www.youtube.com/user/rahdo & boardgamegeek.com/user/rahdo - he reviews games based on a two-player perspective, those two being he and his wife.

Race for the Galaxy is a good two-player game. Not hard to grok and easy to set up/put away.
.Looking to play some games with my wife, so that sounds perfect. Thanks!

Not necessarily 2 player games, but can be played with 2

Dominion

Trains

Carcassonne

Guillotine -- light hearted game, not as much strategy as the others

2 player games:

Android: Netrunner -- this is supposed to be a great 2 player game, but I have not had the chance to play it yet

Twilight Struggle is a top rated 2 player game.

Spent a bunch of my youth playing Axis & Allies, Diplomacy, and games like that. My parents were lucky in that my friends and I would spend an evening (or longer) in the basement playing those games instead of being out drinking! :blush: :nerd:

If you have the chance to check out Tzol'Kin, play it! The game design is wild. It's the best "passage of time" per turn that I've seen mapped out by a board game. The board is comprised of 5 outer cogs and a giant inner cog. To show that time has passed you spin the inner cog. Your workers that you set out on the outer cogs spin further around the track, and their actions become more valuable the longer they've "worked."

I love the design. I'm not entirely sold on the balance, but the design is just superb.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jcTeZCqENBA/UjLqbPOb51I/AAAAAAAAdHo/nYJGmKumqSE/s1600/2013-09-07+Tzolkin04.jpg

That's odd you'd say this because I find one of the best part of Euros is they tie a theme well to some complex rules.
I suppose the word I'm looking for is immersion. When I putz around with Eldritch Horror, yeah I'm trying to play the game, but I'm also participating in a story, I'm enjoying the narrative as its unfolding, even if a bunch of the narrative relies on dice rolls and there's no way to play so optimally as to ensure success.

With Euro games, the theme always feels like window dressing to me. Resource allocation is resource allocation.

I suppose the word I'm looking for is immersion. When I putz around with Eldritch Horror, yeah I'm trying to play the game, but I'm also participating in a story, I'm enjoying the narrative as its unfolding, even if a bunch of the narrative relies on dice rolls and there's no way to play so optimally as to ensure success.

With Euro games, the theme always feels like window dressing to me. Resource allocation is resource allocation.
Yeah I can see that. I like a well-applied theme though, I get bored if concept and mechanics don't mesh.

Just some ideas -

"Gateway" Games - games to play with those new to board gaming and get them interested:

Settlers of Catan - classic, classic example. it has a bit of everything, modal board creation, resource development/collection, improvements, and the "no-holds" trading phase

Ticket to Ride - very simple in concept, lots of room to grow as people learn the routes and develop their own strategies/preferred areas of a map (also tons of maps)

Carcassonne - tile-layer, simple mapmaking concept

Lords of Waterdeep - this can start folks down the path of DnD, actually...

Deckbuilders - Dominion, Legendary: Marvel, DC Deckbuilding, Munchkin - Different gamestyle than the "board" games above

Dixit/Cards Against Humanity - people will compare it to Apples to Apples and you might get them into other games they haven't heard of
Stepping Stones - after the gateways:

7 Wonders - good gateway for fantasy football players... the game is one huge draft. It's really not that hard, but for people that don't play a lot of games, taking the concept on the whole can be a bit much. Big favorite of mine for replayability and length of game.

Agricola - Now we're talking. This game's awesome, and not too hard (worker placement + feed your damn family!), but LONG. Not the best idea to bust this one out for someone's first experience.

I'm actually designing a drafting-based board game... been designing it for like five years though. One of these days...

Also recommend Cones Of Dunshire: two wizards, a maverick, the arbiter, two warriors (you could play with one but it's way worse), a corporal, and a ledgreman. Just remember for all the pieces and layers of the game, it's all about the Cones.

I'm a fan of Forbidden Island, which is a co-op game. Sometimes it's nice to play a game where you're working together to win, as opposed to competing against each other. Especially with the kids.

I'm a fan of Forbidden Island, which is a co-op game. Sometimes it's nice to play a game where you're working together to win, as opposed to competing against each other. Especially with the kids.
Have played Forbidden Desert, looks like the same company. Nice game imo.

Pandemic's another good one that has been mentioned.

Dominion

Trains

Carcassonne

2 player games:

Android: Netrunner -- this is supposed to be a great 2 player game, but I have not had the chance to play it yet

Twilight Struggle is a great game. I play some of the more advanced military boardgames, and the guys that play those always say Twilight Struggle is the one they can get their wives to play with them.

Dominion

Trains

Carcassonne

2 player games:

Twilight Struggle is a great game. I play some of the more advanced military boardgames, and the guys that play those always say Twilight Struggle is the one they can get their wives to play with them.
I can fool my wife with the Twilight part for only so long.

I would've never guessed in a million years that I'd see a discussion about Acquire strategy here. I think it's time to shut the FFA down. We've now talked about every possible thing under the sun.
I'm pretty sure I've read every Acquire walkthrough/tutorial on the Web. There aren't many.

Power Grid is another good game in the buy/sell, supply/demand, cash/stock mold.

There's a great local group here in tidewater VA called TAGS. We get together at least once a month to play games all day, and many of us get together once or twice in between the big game days to play a few.

My owned list is on BGG (same member-name as here). I only started updating there a couple of months ago, so I've played many more games than I've rated (but all the ones I own are there).

Favorites are Agricola and Rosenburg's new game (Caverna). For lighter games or games with my 12 year old I like Dominion and Stone Age.

Do you play with Farmers of the Moor?
When I play 2P with the wife we always play farmers. On the rare occasions I get to play live with others usually not. I actually prefer it with farmers, but the game is complex enough when playing with folks not as familiar with the game.

I also have all the decks made for the game, including both the fairy and alien decks (though I rarely use those)

Another Acquire house rule to try: wild tiles.

My group occasionally plays where the initial tile draw is five tiles instead of six, plus a blank tile that can be played on any unoccupied spot on the board. Everyone gets one blank per game, and once you use it, you draw a regular tile and play the rest of the way with six tiles.

Not sure if this house rule makes the game better or worse. We have found the game moves faster with them, and you know you will have one blank to bail you out if you aren't having luck drawing that key merger tile. It seems there is a little less luck.

If you are holding the real tile where a blank is played, you are allowed to place the tile and redraw, just as you would if you are holding a "dead" tile that would merge two safe chains.

played Suburbia and Libertalia for the first times a couple days ago. Both were decent and may eventually find my shelf, but neither is at the top of my "must buy" list

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony.

We have a solid size collection at this point, just over 500 games (including expansions). We have an active game group that meets 1-4 times a week. Keeps the mind young and it's something my wife and I can do together that we really enjoy. That said, the games we enjoy are quite heavy/"thinky" strategy games like Die Macher, Le Havre, Indonesia, etc. A buddy and I host a podcast that we recently started that has a pretty good following as well. It's definitely my and my wife's main hobby. That said, we compartmentalize our hobby in our game library and it doesn't spread to the rest of the house. We're not those people. :lmao:

I just don't get why people enjoy filler games so much, but different strokes etc.

Users who are viewing this thread