What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

House Project: How to remove support board for barn door? (With pics) (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
I took down a barn door in a bedroom because it was only 80” and the previous owner hung it too low (should used a 94”or 96” door too). My problem is removing the support board. See pics. This is what the barn door rod was attached too. This board is somehow attached to the wall/drywall/stud and I have no idea how. I don’t see any screws and it’s on there good. How do I remove this thing?

Looks to me there is wood filler covering screw near the corner and door way. Those white splotches look like wood filler
Yeah, or caulk.

Just look for the obviously sloppy splotches and there’s your screws.

I agree that the caulk/wood filler is a good start.

But also, what the **** was the previous owner thinking? That is terribly dumb to put a 80 inch door in a 8' space

Some of you need to watch some HGTV. Barn doors are the **** if done right. (Or just do what what my wife says)

Some of you need to watch some HGTV. Barn doors are the **** if done right. (Or just do what what my wife says)
We have one for our master bathroom. Our bathroom is really small, so the sliding door on the outside is perfect for the space. Otherwise the in-swinging door just got in the way. Couldn't do the pocket door because HVAC ductwork in the way.

I did it classy. Like the guy I am.

I did a couple barn doors in a house in Switzerland. they were pretty kick ***.

problem with them isn't their looks- it's that they take up wall space when you open them, so art or furniture along that wall are impossible.

I would also say - if you end up using a pry bar get on a ladder and pry on the upper part of that board instead of the lower part. That way if the pry bar makes any weird marks on your wall it's above the board and out of your sight line. So if you have to fix it you have more margin for error.

Last edited:
one thing you could do is find some old 70s tiger beat magazines and cut out some pictures of looking glass and find some old dodge emblems and hang them on that 2x and then it would be so effen awesome and such a value increase to your home that there would be no need to ever take it down also please do this and post pictures you would be a hero of fft forever that to the bank brohans

in all seriousness please do not use a prybar you will damage the drywall and then you will have a bigger project just take your time use a putty knife or something else to remove any putty or caulk covering the screws and then use a cordless to back them out it should literally fall off of the wall after that or come off with a good hard palm strike just dont ruin your house trying to fix it or i guess nuke it from orbit or go with old looking glass take that to the bank brochacho

in all seriousness please do not use a prybar you will damage the drywall and then you will have a bigger project just take your time use a putty knife or something else to remove any putty or caulk covering the screws and then use a cordless to back them out it should literally fall off of the wall after that or come off with a good hard palm strike just dont ruin your house trying to fix it or i guess nuke it from orbit or go with old looking glass take that to the bank brochacho

Waste of time.

Pick up 5lb mallet. Hit both sides.

Use the same mallet to tap the spots the screws were in.

Grab puffy knife, scrape wall.

Wipe wall

Use puffy knife to apply paper-thin layer of drywall compound. Do this two more times .

Sand and wipe wall

Primer/paint wall corner to corner 3 coats.

Done .

• Laughing
Reactions: SWC
This is it. Score around the entire board. Find the screws holding this thing on by scraping away paint and wood filler anywhere you think there is a screw. Use a pry bar with a board behind it to gently pry the board off. You may find additional screws that way. This should take about 5 minutes. There is going to be screw holes in the wall so a few dents from the prying process isn’t the end of the world.

That was a stupid barn door installation. Goodness.

Users who are viewing this thread