Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Physics and astronomy thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Juno mission is extended for another 3 years.  More splendid photos!!  The shot here is from only 9600 miles above the "surface"

Am I the only one who gets way too excited when this thread gets bumped? I love hearing about new discoveries in astronomy specifically and science in general. 

Yes, they showed the picture.   link

5 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

They absolutely nailed it.  NASA is doing a bang up job lately IMO. 

They have to be being pushed by Space X, right? Now we just need to get Blue Origin up to snuff. 

6 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

when do we get to see pictures and drone videos and stuff?

They got pictures literally within a minute or two of that thing sticking the landing.

17 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

They got pictures literally within a minute or two of that thing sticking the landing.

We broke the speed of light!?!*  😉

*Mars is three light minutes away, so at least that. 

or it was faked :tinfoilhat:

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, The Gator said:

We broke the speed of light!?!*  😉

or it was faked :tinfoilhat:

Brains, meet Brad.

21 minutes ago, El Floppo said:
28 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Can't spend time to look now, but I bet those pics are up somewhere...sorry I didn't link them.

3 hours ago, The Gator said:

They have to be being pushed by Space X, right? 

No, not a thing.  This is a very different technology than a rocket.  

Kudos to NASA and APL.  Nailed it!

10 minutes ago, Sand said:

No, not a thing.  This is a very different technology than a rocket.  

Kudos to NASA and APL.  Nailed it!

Not the tech of rocket vs lander, just the advancement of the overall tech and pushing limits. Listening to Jim Green today and him breaking down how they had to decide how to land a much larger rover made me think of SpaceX.  

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:
3 hours ago, El Floppo said:
3 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Expand  

Can't spend time to look now, but I bet those pics are up somewhere...sorry I didn't link them.

Link

• Like 2
2 hours ago, The Gator said:

About 11 mins right now actually

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Not the tech of rocket vs lander, just the advancement of the overall tech and pushing limits. Listening to Jim Green today and him breaking down how they had to decide how to land a much larger rover made me think of SpaceX.  

It's the other way around.  In general, SpaceX leveraged NASA technology much more than the other way around.  The heatshield technology is all NASA.  The retro rocket landing is likely inspired by SpeceX, though.  They've done good work there.

Mars is a tough place to land.  Enough atmosphere to heat the crap out of stuff, but not enough to slow things down.  Right now we can't slow down enough to land at higher altitudes with most payloads.  I'm hoping one day to see them use HIAD technology when we start landing really big stuff.  I worked on that a few years back - really cool stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Sand said:

It's the other way around.  In general, SpaceX leveraged NASA technology much more than the other way around.  The heatshield technology is all NASA.  The retro rocket landing is likely inspired by SpeceX, though.  They've done good work there.

Mars is a tough place to land.  Enough atmosphere to heat the crap out of stuff, but not enough to slow things down.  Right now we can't slow down enough to land at higher altitudes with most payloads.  I'm hoping one day to see them use HIAD technology when we start landing really big stuff.  I worked on that a few years back - really cool stuff.

That’s pretty cool, thanks for link. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, El Floppo said:

It's cold up there on mars. Mittens required.

You're telling me you had two pair of gloves this whole time?

Uh yeah, it's the [[Rockies]] Mars!

PS, [s]strike through[/s] didn't work any more?

Edited by FBG26
10 hours ago, The Gator said:

where are you listening to Jim Green? podcast?

15 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Those were photos from the engineering cameras -- used for navigation.  Hi-Res pics from the "real" cameras will come after diagnostic tests and other stuff apparently. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

They'll supposedly be releasing video of the landing soon.

That pic is absolutely amazing!

Does anybody know where the sky crane flew off to after dropping the rover? Did it just bounce somewhere and crash-land to not hit or get in the rovers way...or is it safely landed somewhere for reuse?

On 2/19/2021 at 1:30 PM, El Floppo said:

They'll supposedly be releasing video of the landing soon.

That pic is absolutely amazing!

Does anybody know where the sky crane flew off to after dropping the rover? Did it just bounce somewhere and crash-land to not hit or get in the rovers way...or is it safely landed somewhere for reuse?

It flew away toward the north to crash not anywhere near the rover.  It was always design to fly north regardless of terrain after the cables detached. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

It flew away toward the north to crash not anywhere near the rover.  It was always design to fly north regardless of terrain after the cables detached. 

Thanks!

Was just reading up on it too...turns out my old neighbor and school mate Adam Steltzner was in charge of all of that. 

It makes perfect sense, but I still hoped it was designed to fly off and land somewhere, to be salvaged or used as a relay or antenna booster or something.

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Thanks!

Was just reading up on it too...turns out my old neighbor and school mate Adam Steltzner was in charge of all of that. 

It makes perfect sense, but I still hoped it was designed to fly off and land somewhere, to be salvaged or used as a relay or antenna booster or something.

As long as Mark Watney can find it when he needs it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, joffer said:

i didn't realize Perseverance had a RTG in it for power.  Plutonium 238. cool.

I think that's because of the issues that Opportunity had with solar panel charging and the dust storm that finally killed it.  Those rovers had some nuke thermal power as well, but not enough to run the whole thing.

• Like 1

Hfs.

Just breathtaking...literally.

Hi res videos were unbelievable. And audio...more about the history making than the actual audio...but equally breathtaking. Can't wait to see and hear more from the surface of mars...and hoping they'll be able to link video with audio.

I think they said everything is up on their website...astonishing.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Sorry if a honda...watched a great episode of NOVA last night explaining the development of Perseverance and some of the critical issues they addressed such as how do you fly a drone in atmosphere that is 1/100th of earth, developing ability to create oxygen for future mission as the fuel to blast off to return to earth, developing ability to determine where to land, how to process/store the core samples and the main objective of looking for signs of "life".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 2/25/2021 at 9:56 AM, Phil Elliott said:

Sorry if a honda...watched a great episode of NOVA last night explaining the development of Perseverance and some of the critical issues they addressed such as how do you fly a drone in atmosphere that is 1/100th of earth, developing ability to create oxygen for future mission as the fuel to blast off to return to earth, developing ability to determine where to land, how to process/store the core samples and the main objective of looking for signs of "life".

What i can't figure out is why they don't build and send 3 or 10 at a time.  Economies of scale here, people.