What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Physics and astronomy thread (2 Viewers)

NASA@NASA

Two weeks after launch, @NASAWebb has hit its next biggest milestone: the mirrors have completed deployment and the next-generation telescope has taken its final form.

Next up for Webb? Five months of alignment and calibration before we start getting images:

Yup, JWST fully deployed and on a great trajectory to L2. One more minor burn and they'll fall into the orbit they want.  In the meantime, they'll tune each individual segment of the main mirror as well as the secondary mirror. 

I gotta admit, I was worried about this mission, but they nailed it.

Mad props to those engineers that crushed this one. 

I read somewhere today that the launch went well enough that there should be 20 years of fuel to keep in orbit.

:thumbup:

ETA:

"Right now, because of the the efficiency or the accuracy with which Ariane 5 put us on orbit, and our accuracy and effectiveness implementing our mid-course corrections, we have quite a bit of fuel margin right now relative to 10 years," Ochs said, speaking of an earlier fuel estimate. 

"Roughly speaking, it's [now] around 20 years of propellant, roughly speaking, and that's TBD [to be determined]," he added. 

While Ochs did not elaborate on why that is to be determined, one large factor is a looming midcourse correction the telescope is expected to execute in about two weeks to put it on track for its ultimate destination.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there were another planet in the Milky Way with intelligent life that also had a Webb telescope, about how long would it take for them to find us, assuming they're actively looking?  

chet said:
If there were another planet in the Milky Way with intelligent life that also had a Webb telescope, about how long would it take for them to find us, assuming they're actively looking?  

Hard to say, but the primary focus of the Webb Telescope is actually to look to the darkest part of the sky to find remnants from the first stars.  Its not really looking for planets - at least as a primary mission.  I also don't know what tools it has on board to look for various things like radio frequencies, or chemical makeup, which is probably a better indication of life, than finding a pale blue dot in the midst of the Milky Way galaxy.

Orbital Insertion Burn a Success, Webb Arrives at L2

Today, at 2 p.m. EST, Webb fired its onboard thrusters for nearly five minutes (297 seconds) to complete the final postlaunch course correction to Webb’s trajectory. This mid-course correction burn inserted Webb toward its final orbit around the second Sun-Earth Lagrange point, or L2, nearly 1 million miles away from the Earth.

The final mid-course burn added only about 3.6 miles per hour (1.6 meters per second) – a mere walking pace – to Webb’s speed, which was all that was needed to send it to its preferred “halo” orbit around the L2 point.

“Webb, welcome home!” said NASA Administrator Bill Nelson. “Congratulations to the team for all of their hard work ensuring Webb’s safe arrival at L2 today. We’re one step closer to uncovering the mysteries of the universe. And I can’t wait to see Webb’s first new views of the universe this summer!”

First visit to Big Island of Hawaii coming in April. Near Kohala coast they claim you can see 80% of the stars. Looking forward to some stargazing.

You literally must take everything literally. 
To be fair, you did post it in the nerdiest of nerd threads 😉

I was there last summer (Kohala, and other spots in Hawaii). Had young kids so didn’t go up to the observatory, but we had a blast on our backs at night watching the stars abd figuring out constellations. You’ll be in good shape 

I think it's a fair question to ask what that 80% refers to.
Well, ironically, when I was typing the post, I thought, " should I clarify that this is amount of stars visible with naked eye?" But figured you all would know what I was referring too because of the nerdy nature of the thread.

Visible stars from naked eye

Although estimates vary, according to the above article, roughly there are 9,000 stars visible to naked eye (at magnitude 6.5). Cut that in half since you can basically only see half of them from any point on earth at a given moment. 80% of 4,500 is about 3,600 visible with naked eye. Now, I will have binoculars for whale watching, but figure I probably won't be doing any whale watching at night. 

Well, ironically, when I was typing the post, I thought, " should I clarify that this is amount of stars visible with naked eye?" But figured you all would know what I was referring too because of the nerdy nature of the thread.

Visible stars from naked eye

Although estimates vary, according to the above article, roughly there are 9,000 stars visible to naked eye (at magnitude 6.5). Cut that in half since you can basically only see half of them from any point on earth at a given moment. 80% of 4,500 is about 3,600 visible with naked eye. Now, I will have binoculars for whale watching, but figure I probably won't be doing any whale watching at night. 

OK, so the 4,500 figure is in absolutely perfect conditions - zero ambient light - which you basically never have, so the practical magnitude limit at any location is something brighter than 6.5. And where you're going, it will let you see all but the dimmest 20%.

Scientists Discover 'Spooky' Spinning Object In The Depths Of The Milky Way

Scientists have discovered a massive spinning object just sitting out there in the universe 4,000 light years from earth, and they have got no idea what it actually is yet.

Of course, there are millions – probably more than that – of things that we don’t know about space, but they’re really stumped by this thing.

The mysterious object was first discovered when a team of Australian researchers observed a huge emission of radio waves that occurred three times each hour.
I, for one, welcome our new spinning, radio-emitting overlords.

Venus is pretty bright right now, and I read that won't be as bright again for another 18 months.  Check it out!

Zasada said:
Venus is pretty bright right now, and I read that won't be as bright again for another 18 months.  Check it out!
you think that's bright, you should check out Uranus.

as always, I'll see myself out.

I would laugh my ### off if you guys got this thread locked.
I just laughed in response to your post because I found it funny that the jokes I told as a 7 year old would get anything locked down.

but then I remembered where we are....

eta: and it t'aint uranus

I just laughed in response to your post because I found it funny that the jokes I told as a 7 year old would get anything locked down.

but then I remembered where we are....

eta: and it t'aint uranus
It was just be the irony of the thought of the :nerd: iest thread in this place getting shut down.

(I don't really think Uranus jokes are going to do that.)

Ginny flight #19 in the books. 200', 100 secs, out of current location and up onto a plateau.

A dust storm delayed the flight a month out of caution. So basically Ginny = Delta Airlines. Dust particles heat up the atmosphere, which lowers air density.

European scientists say they have made a major breakthrough in their quest to develop practical nuclear fusion - the energy process that powers the stars.

The UK-based JET laboratory has smashed its own world record for the amount of energy it can extract by squeezing together two forms of hydrogen.

If nuclear fusion can be successfully recreated on Earth it holds out the potential of virtually unlimited supplies of low-carbon, low-radiation energy.

The experiments produced 59 megajoules of energy over five seconds (11 megawatts of power).

This is more than double what was achieved in similar tests back in 1997.

It's not a massive energy output - only enough to boil about 60 kettles' worth of water. But the significance is that it validates design choices that have been made for an even bigger fusion reactor now being constructed in France.

"The JET experiments put us a step closer to fusion power," said Dr Joe Milnes, the head of operations at the reactor lab. "We've demonstrated that we can create a mini star inside of our machine and hold it there for five seconds and get high performance, which really takes us into a new realm."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60312633

European scientists say they have made a major breakthrough in their quest to develop practical nuclear fusion - the energy process that powers the stars.

The UK-based JET laboratory has smashed its own world record for the amount of energy it can extract by squeezing together two forms of hydrogen.

If nuclear fusion can be successfully recreated on Earth it holds out the potential of virtually unlimited supplies of low-carbon, low-radiation energy.

The experiments produced 59 megajoules of energy over five seconds (11 megawatts of power).

It's not a massive energy output - only enough to boil about 60 kettles' worth of water. But the significance is that it validates design choices that have been made for an even bigger fusion reactor now being constructed in France.

"The JET experiments put us a step closer to fusion power," said Dr Joe Milnes, the head of operations at the reactor lab. "We've demonstrated that we can create a mini star inside of our machine and hold it there for five seconds and get high performance, which really takes us into a new realm."

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Man does the world need something positive like this.  Hopefully something practical comes of this.
The burning of tritium causes some radioactivity in surrounding materials, so this looks like they were pushing JET in a last hurrah before decommissioning.  This burn lasted 5 seconds and had Q of 0.3, which is a big step but still a ways to go on power out > power in.

The Chinese tokamak isn't doing any actual fusion, just making stable plasma, which is another critical step in an actual magnetic confinement fusion reactor.

Hopefully ITER pulls this all together and it can really do Q > 1.  

Also worth noting that NIF recently published Q = 0.7, but that's a totally different technology. 

The burning of tritium causes some radioactivity in surrounding materials, so this looks like they were pushing JET in a last hurrah before decommissioning.  This burn lasted 5 seconds and had Q of 0.3, which is a big step but still a ways to go on power out > power in.

The Chinese tokamak isn't doing any actual fusion, just making stable plasma, which is another critical step in an actual magnetic confinement fusion reactor.

Hopefully ITER pulls this all together and it can really do Q > 1.  

Also worth noting that NIF recently published Q = 0.7, but that's a totally different technology. 
cool. I assume Q= This would be the ultimate goal

I read about this yesterday with great interest.  Got home and watched BBC News.  Scientists were saying this was an incredible achievement but any practical use likely will not be before 2050.  Then I remembered how old I was and got discouraged.  Still aways a way and that's before any public backlash and NIMBY's.  :kicksrock:

Nice to see the progress being made on harnessing fusion power, but this is very much still a long game.  From a physics perspective, the energy in vs. energy out issues are very challenging, but so too will be the cost-benefit factors.  This is a long game on multiple fronts and even 2050 may be pretty ambitious.

I read about this yesterday with great interest.  Got home and watched BBC News.  Scientists were saying this was an incredible achievement but any practical use likely will not be before 2050.  Then I remembered how old I was and got discouraged.  Still aways a way and that's before any public backlash and NIMBY's.  :kicksrock:

Yes, a lot of these stories are bittersweet to me as well for the same reason.  Hopefully the silver lining is a better world for my grandchildren and on. 

I bought a Celestron Skymaster 15-35x70 and a celestron heavy duty tripod. The tripod did not come with any instructions. I have searched the innernets and I am not alone with this complaint. By looking at the picture on the box I did get it put together. I have figured out the fine adjustments on the tripod but I can not figure out how to onlock the mount to make large adjustments. Does anyone here know the answer to my problem?

https://www.celestron.com/products/heavy-duty-alt-azimuth-tripod

I bought a Celestron Skymaster 15-35x70 and a celestron heavy duty tripod. The tripod did not come with any instructions. I have searched the innernets and I am not alone with this complaint. By looking at the picture on the box I did get it put together. I have figured out the fine adjustments on the tripod but I can not figure out how to onlock the mount to make large adjustments. Does anyone here know the answer to my problem?

https://www.celestron.com/products/heavy-duty-alt-azimuth-tripod
I am not familiar with this specific tri pod, but from the page you linked...

The alt-azimuth tripod head is made of metal and is controlled in two ways. To make large adjustments in altitude, simply grab the mount and move it to the desired location. A friction clutch installed in the head will hold it in position. Large movements in azimuth can be achieved by loosening the azimuth lock and then manually moving the mount. It can spin 360º with the lock disengaged. Small movements are best made by turning the slow motion control handles. They work great for following objects as they move across the night sky.

ETA...I just re-read your post.  I guess your question is more about HOW to unlock, not the need to unlock.  Sorry.  I would think there might be a flip lever on the base somewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread