What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

@jdoggydogg - when you are talking "old" horror movies, we talking 50s/60s or do you like he older Universal ones and others in that era too?   

What Hammer ones would you suggest, or older movies of the genre you love in general?  

@jdoggydogg - when you are talking "old" horror movies, we talking 50s/60s or do you like he older Universal ones and others in that era too?   

What Hammer ones would you suggest, or older movies of the genre you love in general?  
Loved the Universal ones (Frankenstein, Werewolf, etc.). Saw a million 60s movies and loved them. I saw so many Hammer movies it's hard to recommend just one. You won't necessarily find them scary per se, but they have good acting, sets, and costumes.

If I'm recommending horror films that will actually scare an adult, I'd start with the early to mid career films of Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci. Almost all extreme horror derives from those two guys and their movies still scare the #### out me.

If I were to make a list of my favorite old horror movies, it'd look something like this:

Horror Express
Day of the Triffids
Baron Blood
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 
War of the Worlds
The Blob
Frankenstein
Theater of Blood
House of Usher
The Fly
Black Sunday(1960, Italian)
All of the Chris Lee Dracula movies

Not an expert on Hammer flix but, if you find yourself liking them & have some (legal, of course) opioid prescriptions hanging around, it might be advisable to medicate oneself to the Corman/Price films of the works of Edgar Allen Poe. It is arguably possible, should one combine the two, to travel in time thru some kind of cranial wormhole. Unwatchable with a clear head, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not an expert on Hammer flix but, if you find yourself liking them & have some (legal, of course) opioid prescriptions hanging around, it might be advisable to medicate oneself to the Corman/Price films of the works of Edgar Allen Poe. It is arguably possible, should one combine the two, to travel in time thru some kind of cranial wormhole. Unwatchable with a clear head, however.
Yeah. I liked those as a kid, but they are slow and rarely scary.

Saw Dunkirk and Darkest Hour back to back nights.  Dunkirk looked great but I didn't connect with any character at all and the scope seemed to be like 1/10th of the actual scale.  Darkest Hour was better than I thought it would be, as I heard it was boring... which it sort of was, but it was a lot more humorous than I expected.  Both were pretty, "meh" for me.  I doubt I'd see either again.

February starts 31 Days of Oscar on TCM. Everyday a different category will be focused on and award nominees and winners will be played. It's almost too many good movies. If you have any classics that you have wanted to see,  check out their schedule and find it.

Here are my recommendations for the rest of the week: 

Friday 11:15 A Star is Born (1954) I just saw this for the first time a couple weeks ago and wasn't really expecting to pay much attention to it, but it hooked me in. Judy Garland might give the best performance in movie history here. The only disappointing part is that somehow through the editing, screening and re-editing processes some key film was lost so there are weird parts of the film that have dialogue with still images on the screen. Behind all the musical numbers, this is an incredible film in technicolor. 

A raging drunk tries to help the career of a young singer. 

Sunday 8:00 pm Black Narcissus (1947) The color and cinematography here make it hard to believe this movie was made in 47. IMO, this is a better and earlier take on Vertigo. While the plot (nuns as opposed to a detective) seem totally unrelated, the use of color and the psychological/emotional tension that develops from the haunting probe of lust make the movies more similar than they are different. 

Nuns go crazy in the Himalayan Mountains. 

Do you watch any other older horror movies?
If a movie is supposed to be good,  I will watch almost genre. Horror isn't something I have a strong affinity for. I have seen a spattering of the "classic" horror movies dating back to Dr. Caligari.  I found a lot of the older movies like Frankenstein, Dracula, Cat People, King Kong, etc/  to be so dated that it would be tough to watch without some allure of nostalgia or as a historical interest.  However, that seems to go for most horror movies. Scary movies rarely hold up well. 

February starts 31 Days of Oscar on TCM. Everyday a different category will be focused on and award nominees and winners will be played. It's almost too many good movies. If you have any classics that you have wanted to see,  check out their schedule and find it.

Here are my recommendations for the rest of the week: 

Friday 11:15 A Star is Born (1954) I just saw this for the first time a couple weeks ago and wasn't really expecting to pay much attention to it, but it hooked me in. Judy Garland might give the best performance in movie history here. The only disappointing part is that somehow through the editing, screening and re-editing processes some key film was lost so there are weird parts of the film that have dialogue with still images on the screen. Behind all the musical numbers, this is an incredible film in technicolor. 

A raging drunk tries to help the career of a young singer. 

Sunday 8:00 pm Black Narcissus (1947) The color and cinematography here make it hard to believe this movie was made in 47. IMO, this is a better and earlier take on Vertigo. While the plot (nuns as opposed to a detective) seem totally unrelated, the use of color and the psychological/emotional tension that develops from the haunting probe of lust make the movies more similar than they are different. 

Nuns go crazy in the Himalayan Mountains. 
IL80 aint kidding about the bolded, folks. the Archers, makers of Black Narcissus, were the first Coen Bros. The most original film language you're not familiar with.

and if Star is Born could combine Garland's Esther Blodgett with Frederich March's Norman Maine from the 1937 original, we'd have one of the greatest flix of all time

IL80 aint kidding about the bolded, folks. the Archers, makers of Black Narcissus, were the first Coen Bros. The most original film language you're not familiar with.

and if Star is Born could combine Garland's Esther Blodgett with Frederich March's Norman Maine from the 1937 original, we'd have one of the greatest flix of all time
I like James Mason in this movie- his devil may care attitude is the perfect foil for the intensity of Garland. If the producers would have Cukor alone, this might be up there with GWTW and CK as high watermarks of American movies. Instead we get an oddity- the great American musical that isn't quite. 

The Big Sick:

I took a peek at the reviews in here and I guess I am in the minority on this one too.  I thought it was average at best, and it's mostly due to the core story and the Hunter/Romano/Kazan performances.  I really disliked the main guy, and was surprised that it was about his real life because I felt little emotion even when he was yelling and swearing.  I just found him dry and dull for the most part.   I know they are all stand ups, but I was also getting worn down by the Diablo Cody feel where everybody just has a cool "funny" comment for everything and nothing is taken too seriously with that group.  5/10 for me, and I probably would have shut it off if not for Hunter and Romano.  

Loved the Universal ones (Frankenstein, Werewolf, etc.). Saw a million 60s movies and loved them. I saw so many Hammer movies it's hard to recommend just one. You won't necessarily find them scary per se, but they have good acting, sets, and costumes.

If I'm recommending horror films that will actually scare an adult, I'd start with the early to mid career films of Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci. Almost all extreme horror derives from those two guys and their movies still scare the #### out me.

If I were to make a list of my favorite old horror movies, it'd look something like this:

Horror Express
Day of the Triffids
Baron Blood
War of the Worlds
The Blob
Frankenstein
Theater of Blood
House of Usher
The Fly
:thumbup: I've seen a handful of those, and I will see if I can get any of the others through my limited avenues.  

Being scared isn't a qualifier for me liking a horror movie, as very few actually get me to that point.  Most that do lately are foreign horror movies like The Orphanage.  I just like good movies, and have a huge soft spot for the genre despite the amount of cheap horrible junk that is pumped out in the genre.  Actually it's probably because of that reason I tend to be more impressed and really get hooked into a great one from the genre - I had to watch 10 bad ones to get there, so I appreciate it that much more.  ;)  

:thumbup: I've seen a handful of those, and I will see if I can get any of the others through my limited avenues.  

Being scared isn't a qualifier for me liking a horror movie, as very few actually get me to that point.  Most that do lately are foreign horror movies like The Orphanage.  I just like good movies, and have a huge soft spot for the genre despite the amount of cheap horrible junk that is pumped out in the genre.  Actually it's probably because of that reason I tend to be more impressed and really get hooked into a great one from the genre - I had to watch 10 bad ones to get there, so I appreciate it that much more.  ;)  
I loved The Orphanage. Did you see Babadook? Loved that one.

Horror Express
Day of the Triffids
Baron Blood
War of the Worlds
The Blob
Frankenstein
Theater of Blood
House of Usher
The Fly
Nice I'll have to check some of those out. I liked Peeping Tom, Diabolique and Eyes Without a Face as well.

I loved The Orphanage. Did you see Babadook? Loved that one.
Yep.  I think It Follows and Babadook both came out the same year and I really liked them both.  I need to check out a couple of the new foreign ones that keep coming up - Train to Bussan, Raw, The Wailing.  I almost always like the foreign horror movies more than ours now.  

Nice I'll have to check some of those out. I liked Peeping Tom, Diabolique and Eyes Without a Face as well.
From his list I have Black Sunday and Horror Express coming in.  

I like the mention of Peeping tom, and still need to see Diabolique.  Maybe not straight horror, but I was really surprised at how good Repulsion was when I saw it, so I would suggest that one if you haven't seen it.  

From his list I have Black Sunday and Horror Express coming in.  

I like the mention of Peeping tom, and still need to see Diabolique.  Maybe not straight horror, but I was really surprised at how good Repulsion was when I saw it, so I would suggest that one if you haven't seen it.  
 Diabolique is probably similar to Repulsion in that's not traditional horror- rides the line of thriller/horror.

Repulsion is on my list of movies I need to see-I've got the flu so I'll likely knock a few out these next couple days.

Dying to see Peeping Tom. The original Diabolique is wonderful.

Oooo! I forgot to mention Repulsion. Oh yeah! And Francis Ford Coppola's first film was a scary low budget slasher film called Demenia 13. Awesome.

Yep.  I think It Follows and Babadook both came out the same year and I really liked them both.  I need to check out a couple of the new foreign ones that keep coming up - Train to Bussan, Raw, The Wailing.  I almost always like the foreign horror movies more than ours now.  
Man, I hope you guys are listening to the Forever Midnight podcast. These dudes work and live in my city. They're really nice guys, and they love all the great and shlocky horror movies I loved as a kid. Podcast is very funny and entertaining.

Man, I hope you guys are listening to the Forever Midnight podcast. These dudes work and live in my city. They're really nice guys, and they love all the great and shlocky horror movies I loved as a kid. Podcast is very funny and entertaining.
@jdoggydogg - Have you tried the Faculty of Horror podcast?  I think movie podcasts are about 1/2 of my 50 that I subscribe to, but that one and the Cine-files are the two at the top of my head that I know I don't miss an episode of.  It's fun to listen to two female sociologists that love the genre talk about it. 

Looking at the list, even @Ilov80s might like that one.  They dig into smaller ones likes Ginger Snaps (which I love), but they have done ones like Rosemary's Baby, Jaws, Gremlins, Aliens, Night of the Living Dead, etc..    For both podcasts I like them enough that I use as something new to watch if they are talking about something that I haven't seen because I like their discussion enough.  The Cine-files guys just had a 3 episode breakdown of Orson Welles and Citizen Kane that was great.  It looks like this week is Big Trouble in Little China, so I will have to refresh my memory before listening.  

They have been playing those on the bombed-out over-the-air sci-fi channel around here.  I'd never claim to have a clear head, but they are a rough watch.

I just scrolled through episodes list and I barely recognize anything they are talking about lol. I am way out of my depth with horror.
If you don't know the movies, the reviews are still funny. If you watch the movie first, it's even funnier.

Watched Ugetsu last evening. I'm trying to watch more foreign films and get through some classics I haven't seen. Ugetsu was interesting but I can't say I really got it or the love for it. The message was heavy handed and the "ghost" elements were bizarre. Maybe it's just a cultural difference in the view of ghosts that confused me. It was the Criterion version TCM aired in the fall and it looked great but was neither the samurai nor ghost story I expected. 

The Big Sick:

I took a peek at the reviews in here and I guess I am in the minority on this one too.  I thought it was average at best, and it's mostly due to the core story and the Hunter/Romano/Kazan performances.  I really disliked the main guy, and was surprised that it was about his real life because I felt little emotion even when he was yelling and swearing.  I just found him dry and dull for the most part.   I know they are all stand ups, but I was also getting worn down by the Diablo Cody feel where everybody just has a cool "funny" comment for everything and nothing is taken too seriously with that group.  5/10 for me, and I probably would have shut it off if not for Hunter and Romano.  
Yeah, if you're not into Kumail Nanjiani you're not going to like this movie.  Not to compare the two in comedic terms, but it's kind of like Andy Samberg's movies.  If you don't like the main dude, there's going to be a whole lot of what you don't like.

Watched Ugetsu last evening. I'm trying to watch more foreign films and get through some classics I haven't seen. Ugetsu was interesting but I can't say I really got it or the love for it. The message was heavy handed and the "ghost" elements were bizarre. Maybe it's just a cultural difference in the view of ghosts that confused me. It was the Criterion version TCM aired in the fall and it looked great but was neither the samurai nor ghost story I expected. 
Agree. Asian cinema (no, not that kind) makes for problematic viewing because the cultures are so different.

Agree. Asian cinema (no, not that kind) makes for problematic viewing because the cultures are so different.
It was veering that direction. The main part of the plot was basically a guy got seduced by ghosts and spent a weekend having sex with the ghost while her ghost servant took care of them. Bizarre.

Yeah, if you're not into Kumail Nanjiani you're not going to like this movie.  Not to compare the two in comedic terms, but it's kind of like Andy Samberg's movies.  If you don't like the main dude, there's going to be a whole lot of what you don't like.
I could see that.  I didn't want to pile on too much, but I was shocked when I saw how much he had been in.  My thoughts when I was watching this was that he was in it because it was his story, but it was one of his first times acting. I had 0 clue who he was.

I am sure another big part of it is that I have no experience with a culture clash like that and have no patience for parents like that so it got under my skin frankly.  Listened to a couple podcast reviews where people talking about his parents being sympathetic characters and seeing them pulled two ways, so there was a big disconnect there for me.  It goes right into the many discussions around here about how our expectations and life baggage we bring with us effects our views of movies so differently.  

It was veering that direction. The main part of the plot was basically a guy got seduced by ghosts and spent a weekend having sex with the ghost while her ghost servant took care of them. Bizarre.
https://deepfocusreview.com/definitives/ugetsu/

As he explained in a note to longtime collaborator Yoshikata Yoda, Mizoguchi wanted to make a film about how “the violence of war unleashed by those in power on a pretext of the national good must overwhelm the common people with suffering—moral and physical.” To do this, Mizoguchi tells two intersecting stories drawn from several sources. The story of Genjuro and Miyagi was inspired by two of the nine stories in author Akirari Ueda’s 1776 collection Tales of Moonlight and Rain (Ugetsu Monogatari). Although the novel contains grotesque passages and other ghost stories, Mizoguchi chose only two, “The House in the Thicket” and “Lust of the White Serpent” (themselves based on Chinese novels). In the former, a farmer leaves home to sell his wares in Kyoto, where he’s robbed and falls ill. Years later, the farmer returns home to his wife, and they spend a pleasant evening together; only when the farmer wakes the next morning does he realize he spent the evening with his late wife’s ghost. In Lust of the White Serpent, a man seeks shelter from the rain inside a hut, where he meets a young woman. She lures him into her idyllic home and gives him a precious sword as a gift, but authorities later claim the sword was stolen from a shrine. When the man tries to introduce the authorities to the woman who gave him the sword, they inform him that she’s a ghost. Though the ghost seduces him and convinces him to get married, the man frees himself of her spell with the help of a priest, who, in turn, reveals the woman’s true form—a snake—and buries her. In both cases, Genjuro replaces Ueda’s protagonist; Miyagi serves as the forgotten wife, and Lady Wakasa is the ghost (but not a serpent).

Tobei and Ohama’s story was based on Guy de Maupassant’s 1883 novella Décoré, published in the collection Les Soeurs Rondoli. The original text follows an aspiring soldier who goes off to attain greatness, but in his absence, his wife beds an official to get her husband the coat of arms he desires. When he returns home, his wife gives him the official’s decorations and, being a dope, the husband believes he’s been awarded by his superiors. In the film, Tobei may be blinded by his ambitions, but in the end, he returns to Ohama after discovering her in a brothel. He reforms and sets aside his ambitions for a samurai’s armor and status, happily returning to their lives as peasants. This was not Mizoguchi’s preferred resolution, however; executives at the studio, Daiei Film Co. Ltd., insisted on a pleasant conclusion for at least one of the two central couples. The studio’s suggestions resulted in a comparatively optimistic, albeit still tragic, conclusion against Mizoguchi’s usual fatalism, especially surrounding his subjugated women characters

Hmmm, that does sound like 1/2 the porn I watch.  ;)

There is a very big difference in cultures in the way they view death and the afterlife.  Ghosts are much more common in their movies of all genres.  

@jdoggydogg inspired me last night to also watch The Thing. This is definitely one of those movies that are at the top of the genre and transcend it just because of how well made it was and despite the cutting edge f/x for the time, Carpenter was smart enough to realize the focus and scary part of the movie was the mistrust and fear generated by being isolated in that situation and not knowing who to turn to.  

How was the event last night, Jdogg?

Speaking of the Cine-Files podcast mentioned last page, they have an episode for The Thing that I started listening to today as well.  

I, Tonya

I don't think there's any question that you had to have been at least 18 or older at the time of the Harding/Kerrigan rivalry in order to get much out of this movie.  Without that foreknowledge, I'm not sure if you would like this.  I was 25ish at that time, and I loved this movie.  Margot/Janey combination were great. It's hard to tell where real life and artistic license comes into play, but if the abuse she suffered at the hands of her mother and husband are accurately portrayed, it will soften your heart toward old Tonya before the movie ends. 
Just saw this and totally agree. I had some sympathy for Tonya by the end of the movie. Very good overall. The acting was great.

Den of Thieves - Saw this on Wednesday. Its really, really dumb. The opening scene and the final shootout are cool (though the final shootout starts idiotically). But the story is really dumb, the movie is WAAAAYYYYY too long, and there's just a ton of unnecessary moments. Stay away.

Saw Get Out. It was entertaining but a bit predictable. Surprised it got an Oscar nod but then again they nominate like 10 movies now so I can see it being on a lot of top 10 lists.

Z  (1969) was incredible. How can it be so many of these movies that are 40-70 years old are so much more politically relevant than almost any films being made today? The whole bit about protecting the police/military (even though they were guilty) just so as to not tarnish their public reputation. I mean that could be ripped out of today's headlines. I am trying to think of a better political thriller...not sure I have one in mind. 

Z  (1969) was incredible. How can it be so many of these movies that are 40-70 years old are so much more politically relevant than almost any films being made today? The whole bit about protecting the police/military (even though they were guilty) just so as to not tarnish their public reputation. I mean that could be ripped out of today's headlines. I am trying to think of a better political thriller...not sure I have one in mind. 
the difference between art & commerce, my friend, and how money turned media away from being the living frontiers of our minds

@jdoggydogg inspired me last night to also watch The Thing. This is definitely one of those movies that are at the top of the genre and transcend it just because of how well made it was and despite the cutting edge f/x for the time, Carpenter was smart enough to realize the focus and scary part of the movie was the mistrust and fear generated by being isolated in that situation and not knowing who to turn to.  

How was the event last night, Jdogg?

Speaking of the Cine-Files podcast mentioned last page, they have an episode for The Thing that I started listening to today as well.  
:hifive:

It really does transcend the genre and it's a truly great movie. The event was awesome. The cinematographer had plenty of stories to tell, as he was the photographer of tons of great movies, including The Back to the Future trilogy, Jurassic Park, Romancing the Stone, and Death Becomes her.

Users who are viewing this thread