What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (8 Viewers)

Kind of a random request, I haven't bought any DVDs in awhile, but I was looking at buying some pre-Code movies, since they are hard to find on TV.  I was infatuated by Claudette Colbert in "It Happened One Night" (and have wanted to watch more of her stuff), so I'm eyeing this Cecil B. DeMille set that includes Sign of the Cross and Cleopatra.  Anything else that no pre-Code collection should be without?

Kind of a random request, I haven't bought any DVDs in awhile, but I was looking at buying some pre-Code movies, since they are hard to find on TV.  I was infatuated by Claudette Colbert in "It Happened One Night" (and have wanted to watch more of her stuff), so I'm eyeing this Cecil B. DeMille set that includes Sign of the Cross and Cleopatra.  Anything else that no pre-Code collection should be without?
I can recommend ones I've liked. 

Island of Lost Souls

Little Caesar

The Most Dangerous Game

The Public Enemy

I just watched Night Nurse with Barbara Stanwyck, and a very young Ray Milland, really good stuff.

I checked it out of my local library in the Forbidden Hollywood DVD series... highly recommended...

Island of Lost Souls

Little Caesar

The Most Dangerous Game

The Public Enemy
I would add Scarface, Dawn Patrol, Doorway to Hell, Blonde Crazy, Taxi, Platinum Blonde, Skippy, The Criminal Code, I’m a Fugitive on a Chain Gang, anything by Lubistch, Grand Hotel, What Price Hollywood, Lady Killer, The Racket,Baby Face, Mae West movies and the musical trio of Footlight Parade, 42nd Street and Gold Diggers of 1933.

Last edited by a moderator:

Island of Lost Souls

Little Caesar

The Most Dangerous Game

The Public Enemy
Thanks. I've got Little Caesar and The Public Enemy (I think from a Warner Brothers' Gangster collection), and love both.  I was just reading up on the other two, and both of those look good. I'll have to look into those.

The Most Dangerous Game has surprisingly well done effects for 1932, primarily because it was closely tied to King Kong.

"Most of the standing sets from King Kong (1933) were used in the making of this film, including the gate (which was eventually burned down in the "Burning of Atlanta" sequence of Gone with the Wind (1939)). This film and "King Kong" were shot at the same time, though "Kong" was released later (probably due to the special effects required for it)."

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/176198%7C0/The-Most-Dangerous-Game.html

, "Dangerous Game, which began production on May 16, 1932, would overlap with Production No. 601: Kong, which began filming under the working title of The Beast. Cooper was shrewdly getting a double bang for his buck by using the Zaroff jungle set for the Skull Island scenes he was simultaneously shooting for the Kong test reel. The Dangerous Game set, built on Stage 12 at the RKO-Pathe lot in Culver City, included a swamp, a trail and a cave, the Malay deadfall trap, and a ravine bridged by a fallen tree, all of which could be rearranged to expand the illusion of a wild, rambling landscape...Orvillee Goldner and George Turner write that with The Most Dangerous Game, Cooper and Schoedsack reached an apotheosis in setting a "thrilling pace" that recalled Chang [1927] and was to become forever emblematic of the Cooper-Schoedsack style...Editor Archie Marshek recalled that during the filming, Schoedsack literally timed the actors to the second; a thirty-second scene in rehearsal might be speeded up to twenty for the final take. It would become the model for the cutting of King Kong."

Watched @wikkidpissah favorite: Brando's Mutiny on the Bounty. I liked it a lot but I still prefer the original. I could take it or leave with Gable vs Brando but Trevor Howard can't touch Charles Laughton. I think Captain Bligh is the key to the movie so for that the 1935 version is my preferred choice. 

The Most Dangerous Game has surprisingly well done effects for 1932, primarily because it was closely tied to King Kong.

"Most of the standing sets from King Kong (1933) were used in the making of this film, including the gate (which was eventually burned down in the "Burning of Atlanta" sequence of Gone with the Wind (1939)). This film and "King Kong" were shot at the same time, though "Kong" was released later (probably due to the special effects required for it)."

, "Dangerous Game, which began production on May 16, 1932, would overlap with Production No. 601: Kong, which began filming under the working title of The Beast. Cooper was shrewdly getting a double bang for his buck by using the Zaroff jungle set for the Skull Island scenes he was simultaneously shooting for the Kong test reel. The Dangerous Game set, built on Stage 12 at the RKO-Pathe lot in Culver City, included a swamp, a trail and a cave, the Malay deadfall trap, and a ravine bridged by a fallen tree, all of which could be rearranged to expand the illusion of a wild, rambling landscape...Orvillee Goldner and George Turner write that with The Most Dangerous Game, Cooper and Schoedsack reached an apotheosis in setting a "thrilling pace" that recalled Chang [1927] and was to become forever emblematic of the Cooper-Schoedsack style...Editor Archie Marshek recalled that during the filming, Schoedsack literally timed the actors to the second; a thirty-second scene in rehearsal might be speeded up to twenty for the final take. It would become the model for the cutting of King Kong."
full movie on youtube

gotta be nicer to y'all now that i've disowned @Ilov80s

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. 

Honestly, I'm a big Brando fan, and I love his Mutiny - but I seem to recall his accent being panned in this. 

Am I remembering wrongly? 

Regardless - I'll still watch it whenever I can. 

Lol. 

Honestly, I'm a big Brando fan, and I love his Mutiny - but I seem to recall his accent being panned in this. 

Am I remembering wrongly? 

Regardless - I'll still watch it whenever I can. 
I didn’t mind it. I thought he would seem totally out of place but I watch him play Marc Antony in Julius Caesar a couple weeks ago and he was great and can pull off a non modern American character. My issue is mostly with the letdown from Laughton to Howard. I would put Laughton up there with Brando if we are talking best actors ever to be on screen and of course Laughton didn’t have good looks to lean on.

I didn’t mind it. I thought he would seem totally out of place but I watch him play Marc Antony in Julius Caesar a couple weeks ago and he was great and can pull off a non modern American character. My issue is mostly with the letdown from Laughton to Howard. I would put Laughton up there with Brando if we are talking best actors ever to be on screen and of course Laughton didn’t have good looks to lean on.
Good points. 

I really liked his Antony as well. 

I'm such a fan, I won't pan any of his performances, but Streetcar and Waterfront still top my list - which is pretty chalk. 

that y'all are discussing it without mentioning one of the greatest comedy scenes of all time (Christian being ordered to nail Maimiti) or my favorite love scene ever (no, no Fretcher) mean you're all Philistines unworthy of my edification

Overlord - 6/10

How can a movie about Nazi zombies feature so few Nazi zombies and be so...dull?

This is a project that producers will see and say "Not a very good movie but the people involved seem like they could do something bigger and better."

Skip it!

full movie on youtube
I saw this was on Amazon Prime too.  Hoping to watch sometime this week.  :thumbup:

Andy Dufresne said:
Overlord - 6/10

How can a movie about Nazi zombies feature so few Nazi zombies and be so...dull?

This is a project that producers will see and say "Not a very good movie but the people involved seem like they could do something bigger and better."

Skip it!
Disagree. Thought it was good if you're in the mood for a zombie flick. 

I noticed The Heiress with Clift and Olivia de Havilland is going to be on TCM tonight.  I set that one to record.
Did you watch it? I watched it tonight and while it’s quite melodramatic, I thought it was very well done. Also pretty crazy Olivia de Haviland is still alive.
I watched The Heiress this weekend.  I agree pretty well done.  Melodramatic at times, but I thought the ending was great.  I had not really seen much of William Wyler's stuff, but enjoyed this one and The Best of Our Lives recently.  Need to watch Mrs. Miniver.

I feel like I will get hammered for this, but Bumblebee was great. My entire family enjoyed and it had been a while since we all laughed that hard.

I watched The Heiress this weekend.  I agree pretty well done.  Melodramatic at times, but I thought the ending was great.  I had not really seen much of William Wyler's stuff, but enjoyed this one and The Best of Our Lives recently.  Need to watch Mrs. Miniver.
I would put Mrs. Miniver pretty far down my list of Wyler movies. I definitely prefer: The Best Years of Our Lives, Big Country, Detective Story, Roman Holiday, Funny Girl, Ben-Hur, Dodsworth and The Westerner. Looking at it, Mrs. Miniver is probably my least favorite film of his even though it was one his most successful. Maybe I should give it a 2nd viewing, I feel like I must have missed something. 

Almost finished with it, but my wife and I are watching Going Postal on Amazon Prime.

Of the books that I would include in my top 20 of all time most of them have been awful when made into movies: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and dark tower are the two that stand out.

That is the standard I am using when judging going postal, and so far it is exceeding expectations. I have higher hopes now for Good Omens, which is one of, if not my favorite book of all time.

That would be "Train to Busan".
Watched a zombie movie last week called "The Battery" about a pitcher and catcher of a minor league baseball team roaming the countryside during a zombie outbreak.

Battery was watchable, but I cannot recommend.  It has the zombie movie character "type" I hate most - the character that cannot adjust to things no longer being normal who is sullen and whines that they wish things could be back to the way they were.  This character usually makes a LOT of mistakes by trying to pretend that things are normal (for example, the guy in this one is always wearing headphones listening to music in unprotected settings).  I am fairly certain this is the person I will be stuck with protecting and providing for in a zombie apocalypse.

Train to Busan is soooooooo good, it will ruin you for other zombie movies.

that y'all are discussing it without mentioning one of the greatest comedy scenes of all time (Christian being ordered to nail Maimiti) or my favorite love scene ever (no, no Fretcher) mean you're all Philistines unworthy of my edification
I thought the funniest scene by far Trevor Howard trying to dance 

Did you like the other Matrix films?
Not nearly as much. Love the highway chase in Reloaded. But the podcast I posted had a good point: once Neo becomes an all-powerful superman, that removes some of the innate conflict that made the first so special.

Not nearly as much. Love the highway chase in Reloaded. But the podcast I posted had a good point: once Neo becomes an all-powerful superman, that removes some of the innate conflict that made the first so special.
I was curious as I never went back and watched the 2nd and 3rd one.

jdoggydogg said:
Don't think I'll ever get tired of The Matrix.
I have slowly learned to not hold it against The Matrix for bringing about most of the horrible action crap that I hate in movies and love it for what it is.  

I tried watching Bad Moms last night as I was desperate for a laugh.  It didn't provide more than a couple chuckles, but I left it on because Mila Kunis is hot as hell.   I really miss the 90s/00s comedies.  I can't remember the last comedy movie that I really liked.  

I tried watching Bad Moms last night as I was desperate for a laugh.  It didn't provide more than a couple chuckles, but I left it on because Mila Kunis is hot as hell.   I really miss the 90s/00s comedies.  I can't remember the last comedy movie that I really liked.  
probably Game Night for me

Users who are viewing this thread