Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

21 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Maybe you could describe movies you saw without telling us the names.  That's always good for some excitement.

Hey that’s my schtick

• Thinking 1
  • Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarmaPolice

• Ilov80s

• jdoggydogg

• El Floppo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

25th Anniversary of Fargo's release date was Monday. Watched it again last night for the umpteenth time. I still noticed new things. Marge Gunderson is one of cinema's all-time best heroes. 

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

so THAT'S why i never see you at our Paint Your Wagon discussion groups...

53 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Had no idea...that was a play? Figured it was a novel.

The play was never produced though so it’s sort of based on a play 

Crazy Rich Asians - it was weird to watch a movie where like some sick kid or dad didn’t die or there wasn’t profound sadness throughout. My wife was overcome with joy. 

After this I might make her watch Requiem for a Dream next weekend and tell her it’s just a movie about some lady trying to go on a game show. 

• Laughing 5

Amadeus is probably the best example of taking a play and fully creating a totally cinematic vision of it. Julius Caesar as well. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Amadeus is probably the best example of taking a play and fully creating a totally cinematic vision of it. Julius Caesar as well. 

Amadeus was one of the top ones for me, too, but I think I love that movie more than most.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Capella said:

Crazy Rich Asians - it was weird to watch a movie where like some sick kid or dad didn’t die or there wasn’t profound sadness throughout. My wife was overcome with joy. 

After this I might make her watch Requiem for a Dream next weekend and tell her it’s just a movie about some lady trying to go on a game show. 

:lmao:

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Not that I have come across many, but I can't remember a movie that was based on a play that I really liked.  It always seems like something is missing.  

Deathtrap

A Bronx Tale

Twelve Angry Men

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (nerve-wracking but couldn't take my eyes away from it)

and yeah, I really like Glengarry Glen Ross

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Twelve Angry Men

That was my first thought too.

But Google says it was written for tv, not the stage.

- Tennessee Williams had nothing to say that i wanted to hear and his every word congratulates themselves in ways that make me stabby. 

- plays make small big. movies make big small. no great wonder they dont get along easily. 

- committing to idea over expression is the key to play adaptation.

- Amadeus  (Peter Shaffer's other great play, Equus, translated pretty well, too) and Mike Nichols' Angels In America are my favorite examples of pieces that worked equally well as plays and films (though i wish the world could have got to see Tim Curry's Mozart). Glengarry was pretty much shot as a play and it worked.

• Like 2

Internet has been worse than normal lately, so I went back to the library for more blurays.  The random mix for this week that I grabbed while I wait for the Godfather movies and Groundhog Day to come in are:  Elevatory to the Gallows, Creed, Lawrence of Arabia, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.   Only have seen 1 of those 4.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Internet has been worse than normal lately, so I went back to the library for more blurays.  The random mix for this week that I grabbed while I wait for the Godfather movies and Groundhog Day to come in are:  Elevatory to the Gallows, Creed, Lawrence of Arabia, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.   Only have seen 1 of those 4.  

Assume you’ve seen Close Encounters

I saw Glengarry on Broadway. Alan Alda, Jeffrey Tambor, Liev Screiber and some others. Sat 3rd row. Glad I wasn't closer because Alda was spitting when he spoke. A LOT! Excellent show though.

Only topped by seeing James Gandolfini in God of Carnage.

Edited by jamny
  • Like 5
4 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Honestly cant remember your beef with the movie

It’s a snoozefest. 

• Like 1
Just now, Ilov80s said:

It’s a snoozefest. 

That's your take, or it was his or both? 

Another reason I got it was i have been going back through some Cine-files episodes.  I started that one the other day and their guest was saying it was his favorite Spielberg and a top 5 or so movie for him.  I stopped it there and decided I wanted a rewatch before listening.  

10 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Honestly cant remember your beef with the movie

It's sloowwww. And he's never admitted it but I think it's just a cathartic exercise for Spielberg to reconcile why his father left the family.

I get obsession, but Roy Neary is hard to root for.

7 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

both

Hmmm.  I am sure it was brought up in the discussion, but I don't remember it being slow at all and remember liking it a bit, but it's been awhile.   

Alien contact stuff is right in my wheelhouse too - I guess except for E.T..  

BTW, @jdoggydogg - good to see you poking around in here again.  It's been awhile - hope all is well IRL.   

Weirdly, the day before you posted about the handful of movies you watched, I was thinking about how I hadn't seen you 'round these parts for a bit.  :stalker:

A few recent watches 

Hang’em High- lower tier Eastwood western despite the loaded cast 

Stagecoach: despite the slower pace, I like it more and more every time I see it. All about the characters, acting and development 

Touki Bouki- movie from Senegal that was slow paced and featured a couple really disturbing animal death scenes that I didn’t care for but the cinematography and color on this is among the best I’ve seen in awhile. 

16 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

BTW, @jdoggydogg - good to see you poking around in here again.  It's been awhile - hope all is well IRL.   

Weirdly, the day before you posted about the handful of movies you watched, I was thinking about how I hadn't seen you 'round these parts for a bit.  :stalker:

Glad to hear you're ok. I miss reading posts here so I'd like to be here more frequently.

• Like 2
On 2/28/2021 at 7:23 PM, Andy Dufresne said:

Soul

Yeah, that goes in the category of "Great Pixar Movies". 

Oooo I've been wanting to watch this.

Weird mix last night: 

Last 1/2 of Close Encounters + Tropic Thunder + Stop Making Sense.  

I guess I still like CE more that most.  Maybe a tad slow, but I still like the story and I guess I click a little bit more with the UFOs on a global scale than I do with the more personal boy and his alien story in ET (not that ET is bad or anything).    Tropic Thunder makes me laugh every time, especially the beginning of the movie - Downey Jr and the intro to Danny McBride's character are :moneybag:

Hopefully I get to something new tonight.  

• Like 1

Watched another foreign flick on HBO Max over the past couple of nights that I previously should have already seen... The 400 Blows. It holds up well on its own, but easy to see its influences between coming of age movies and the ending.

• Like 2

Beau Travail- stunning, absolutely stunning. Anyone have another Claire Denis recommendation? 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Beau Travail- stunning, absolutely stunning. Anyone have another Claire Denis recommendation? 

I could be confusing it with something else, but I remember White Material being good.   I have heard that Trouble Every Day is a bit messed up, but haven't gotten to that one.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

I could be confusing it with something else, but I remember White Material being good.   I have heard that Trouble Every Day is a bit messed up, but haven't gotten to that one.  

I liked White Material, as well as Let the Sunshine In, though the latter was largely because I love Juliette Binoche.  Neither is as good as Beau Travail.  I tried but couldn't finish High Life, despite the presence of Binoche.  

• Like 1
On 2/28/2021 at 9:47 PM, KarmaPolice said:

:lol:  

That's a movie that is still a touchy subject around the KP household because I dared fall asleep during it when the wife wanted to watch it when we were in college.  I don't think I've tried to watch it again since then.  

My compliments sir. It is a movie to avoid.

6 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

Probably my favorite concert film.

I saw it on the big screen and later bought it on VHS. Inspired now to get it on DVD/BluR. Haven't watched it for a long time

Thanks

• Like 1
9 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Never gets old for me.  

Same here. Saw the film in a theater celebrating it's anniversary, and it was even better than I remembered. Ordered the Blu-ray the next day. 

Derek DelGaudio's in & of Itself 

This Hulu movie is part performance art, part magic show, and part emotional journey. Really great and highly recommend.

Watched Vertigo again...

I don't get the appeal really. The plot is just preposterous.

I really don't understand the purpose of the Midge character. It's wonderfully played by Barbara Bel Geddes - probably the best performance in the movie - but the character is treated so terribly.

Okay, I understand a little - underlying psychological issues like smother/mother stuff typical of Hitch. I guess I don't like how sympathizing with her character makes you dislike Johnny, the guy who's supposed to be the hero.

Edited by Andy Dufresne
12 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Watched Vertigo again...

I really don't understand the purpose of the Midge character. It's wonderfully played by Barbara Bel Geddes - probably the best performance in the movie - but the character is treated so terribly.

Okay, I understand a little - underlying psychological issues like smother/mother stuff typical of Hitch. I guess I don't like how sympathizing with her character makes you dislike Johnny, the guy who's supposed to be the hero.

Maybe that’s where some of your disconnect is. Stewart is not a or the hero.The plot is preposterous but I don’t think any of it is meant to be literal. It’s a slow burn for sure and a movie I didn’t like the first time I saw it. Now every time I watch it, I enjoy it more and more. It’s more about absorption and less about A to B to C.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Watched Vertigo again...

Interesting.  We follow around Johnny, but I never really took to him to be "the hero".  

I think it vault up a lot of lists because correct or incorrect, I think people view this one as a look into Hitch's mind a bit an mirrors his treatment of his ladies in his films, and especially after he loses a main one in Grace.   Been a bit since I've seen it, so this discussion means I want to get to my Notorious/Vertigo double feature in the next couple days.  

7 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Maybe that’s where some of your disconnect is. Stewart is not a or the hero.The plot is preposterous but I don’t think any of it is meant to be literal. It’s a slow burn for sure and a movie I didn’t like the first time I saw it. Now every time I watch it, I enjoy it more and more. It’s more about absorption and less about A to B to C.

Or what 80s said... 

23 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

15 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Interesting.  We follow around Johnny, but I never really took to him to be "the hero".  

I think it vault up a lot of lists because correct or incorrect, I think people view this one as a look into Hitch's mind a bit an mirrors his treatment of his ladies in his films, and especially after he loses a main one in Grace.   Been a bit since I've seen it, so this discussion means I want to get to my Notorious/Vertigo double feature in the next couple days.  

I think you're both right. It seems I prefer a different kind of story structure. 

Vertigo is probably better viewed as a tragedy, one where all the characters are flawed. I think I prefer a story with a character I like and can root for. 

And yet, Psycho is similar yet I like that mover a lot. :shrug:

Edited by Andy Dufresne

Hitch was the Bowie of movies. We're all pervs & weirdos. Hitch wanted to give play to the fact that we're scared little guys who wishkill their parents, blow up authority figures and want to do naughty things to all the other girls & boys all the time. Back then, there was stuff that actually wasn't pervy & weird that we weren't allowed to even address by the saidsos. So he leaked out all those sentiments & scenarios in every way he thought he could get away with. Plot was irrelevant. Perv was everything.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Hitch was the Bowie of movies. We're all pervs & weirdos. Hitch wanted to give play to the fact that we're scared little guys who wishkill their parents, blow up authority figures and want to do naughty things to all the other girls & boys all the time. Back then, there was stuff that actually wasn't pervy & weird that we weren't allowed to even address by the saidsos. So he leaked out all those sentiments & scenarios in every way he thought he could get away with. Plot was irrelevant. Perv was everything.

I remember bits and pieces from the Hitch/Truffaut interviews.  He did come across as a bit pervy and I believe he said he was a virgin when he got married, and some of his quirks probably come from lack of exploring in other ways so it maybe shows up on screen?

The other story I remember was his pops sending him to the jail with a note, and they ended up putting him in there for a bit?  I think he was between 5-7 or something really young like that?

Happy Coming 2 America day! The trailer doesn’t really fire me up, but who cares! I hope Joe the Policeman from the What’s Going Down episode of That’s My Mama! makes an appearance.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, gump said:

Happy Coming 2 America day! The trailer doesn’t really fire me up, but who cares! I hope Joe the Policeman from the What’s Going Down episode of That’s My Mama! makes an appearance.

Interested in a post telling us how it is.   I don't have enough interest to watch it without a few positive reviews in here. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Interested in a post telling us how it is.   I don't have enough interest to watch it without a few positive reviews in here. 

Same, seems at least 25 years too late but I’ll give it a shot if people say it’s worth it 

16 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:
24 minutes ago, gump said:

Same. Really low-zero expectations for that. But still an ounce of hope that they can tap in to the magic from the first one.