What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (9 Viewers)

The Voices:

Very "interesting" movie that again I seemed to like the premise more than the product. I think it was supposed to be a black comedy about the awkward creeper Ryan Reynolds and what happens after the office hottie stands him up. There are some genuinely great moments in this one, especially when we start seeing the contrast between reality and not. Didn't think much of the humor hit as much as expected, and it was actually trending more towards the depressing side of things. Also lost me a bit towards the end. I think a few here will like this one, and probably still worth a view if you are looking for something a bit odd. I thought Reynolds played the part well, and as always Anna Kendrick is lovely 5.5/10

cosjobs said:
KarmaPolice said:
I dunno, i guess i always ding a performance of a well known person more since the actor has so much footage to use to get into a character. It is more impressive here since he had to do all of the phases of deterioration of Hawking, but i will be a Richard and say a bit of the peformance was just physical by the end too.

I am just drawn more to great performances by an actor doing a character that they and the director come up with and developed on their own- ie Nightcrawler. Even something from a book i am more drawn to since they at least have to develop the speech and phyicality of the characters, like Phoenix for Inherent Vice.

Yes it takes talent, but it is basically sitting in front of a mirror and mimicing someone over and over from footage.
I agree very much. It takes much more of an actor to create a compelling performance from an everyman than portraying someone handicapped, ######ed, alcoholic, etc. Yet those are the roles that get the awards.
Also, for obvious reasons, they tend to be one-note performances too. I think what he had to do with Hawking and his deterioration is definitely a step above some of the other performances in that style that we tend to praise, such as Rainman.
Hoffman was great in Rain Man but DDL as Christy Brown is still the gold standard for such performances. I think it's why I am so hard on Jim Carrey for his Hawking performance TTOE, it just felt like he went with the DDL playbook and I'm kind of over awarding those performances.

cosjobs said:
KarmaPolice said:
I dunno, i guess i always ding a performance of a well known person more since the actor has so much footage to use to get into a character. It is more impressive here since he had to do all of the phases of deterioration of Hawking, but i will be a Richard and say a bit of the peformance was just physical by the end too.

I am just drawn more to great performances by an actor doing a character that they and the director come up with and developed on their own- ie Nightcrawler. Even something from a book i am more drawn to since they at least have to develop the speech and phyicality of the characters, like Phoenix for Inherent Vice.

Yes it takes talent, but it is basically sitting in front of a mirror and mimicing someone over and over from footage.
I agree very much. It takes much more of an actor to create a compelling performance from an everyman than portraying someone handicapped, ######ed, alcoholic, etc. Yet those are the roles that get the awards.
Also, for obvious reasons, they tend to be one-note performances too. I think what he had to do with Hawking and his deterioration is definitely a step above some of the other performances in that style that we tend to praise, such as Rainman.
Hoffman was great in Rain Man but DDL as Christy Brown is still the gold standard for such performances. I think it's why I am so hard on Jim Carrey for his Hawking performance TTOE, it just felt like he went with the DDL playbook and I'm kind of over awarding those performances.
But dude playing Hawking had to show more range than Hoffman had to in Rainman. Rainman was the same all the way through. Cruise had to show more in the same movie, but Hoffman gets the praise.

The Voices:

Very "interesting" movie that again I seemed to like the premise more than the product. I think it was supposed to be a black comedy about the awkward creeper Ryan Reynolds and what happens after the office hottie stands him up. There are some genuinely great moments in this one, especially when we start seeing the contrast between reality and not. Didn't think much of the humor hit as much as expected, and it was actually trending more towards the depressing side of things. Also lost me a bit towards the end. I think a few here will like this one, and probably still worth a view if you are looking for something a bit odd. I thought Reynolds played the part well, and as always Anna Kendrick is lovely 5.5/10
Started off well but got too dark at the end.

Blackhat

Had high hopes from the previews I saw that the theater, then saw the low IMDB score and waited to watch it at home...it's not even worth watching for free.

Lousy plot, horrible acting, idiotic depiction of technology, I could go on...to say something nice I guess the cinematography was good.

The Chinese girl is attractive but I found out after than she didn't speak English and memorized the lines - no wonder her delivery seemed so wooden and forced. :wall:

I've seen all of Mann's movies except Miami Vice and this was by far the worst. Hope I've saved you two hours of your life.

A Most Violent Year:

Fans of of the writer/director's other two movies Margin Call and All Is Lost will know what to expect here - tight script, good dialogue (ok one of his movies had this), decent acting, and a very slow burn. This one lacked the urgency that a movie like Margin Call had, and honestly not a ton happens in the movie. I think it is the weakest of his 3 movies, but still worth a watch if you like a movie like this. Felt a bit like a 70s throwback as well. 6/10

A Most Violent Year:

Fans of of the writer/director's other two movies Margin Call and All Is Lost will know what to expect here - tight script, good dialogue (ok one of his movies had this), decent acting, and a very slow burn. This one lacked the urgency that a movie like Margin Call had, and honestly not a ton happens in the movie. I think it is the weakest of his 3 movies, but still worth a watch if you like a movie like this. Felt a bit like a 70s throwback as well. 6/10
That was my concern. Love dialogue but need either an interesting story or characters worth caring about.

A Most Violent Year:

That was my concern. Love dialogue but need either an interesting story or characters worth caring about.
It is odd. I liked the lead in the movie and liked what he was attempting to do with his choices. It is basically a gangster movie where the gangster is trying to toe the line of good and do it the right way, but the business that he is in was very uninteresting as was the main transaction that he was trying to complete to get where he wanted to be.

Jupiter Ascending

As silly as this movie is, it's worth a rental just for the visuals. Still, while I'm glad I saw it, it's hard to believe that the siblings that gave us The Matrix have fallen this far.

American Hustle.

Cast was amazing.
Yeah, I enjoyed the entire cast. They were all really good. But I'm not sure I loved the movie that much. It was good. Some of the scenes were phenominal but I don't know if I liked how they told the story that much.

Machine Gun Preacher

5/5
Every time I walk past this movie I think about how dumb I think the title is. I have had 0 interest in watching it, but have had a few people suggest it.
thats his nickname in Sudan ...that and the white preacher
its a true story involving a guy that would be considered the LAST person in the world to go to sudan and do what hes doing...pretty amazing actually...hes that guy in your town that everyone thought was a crazy drug addicted dirt bag biker criminal yet rose above it and has been helping thousands of refugee children in war torn Sudan ...the title of the movie is very misleading i agree

Last edited by a moderator:
Jupiter Ascending

As silly as this movie is, it's worth a rental just for the visuals. Still, while I'm glad I saw it, it's hard to believe that the siblings that gave us The Matrix have fallen this far.
I guess the visuals were fine but I have to disagree with it being worth a rental. It's just terrible on pretty much every level.

I can't imagine they will get green lit for another big budget (kind of like Shamylan in their fall from grace IMO).

Jupiter Ascending

I guess the visuals were fine but I have to disagree with it being worth a rental. It's just terrible on pretty much every level.

I can't imagine they will get green lit for another big budget (kind of like Shamylan in their fall from grace IMO).
:shrug: Thought it was a good :popcorn: movie.. turn off your thinking and just enjoy the ride. :)

A Million Ways to Die in the West.

Seth would have been better suited in a supporting role complaining the whole time. Ribisi and Silverman were hysterical. The death scenes were stupid funny. I laughed hard in several spots.

Didn't hate it.
I watched it last night too. I laughed quite a bit more than I thought I would based on the very poor reviews I read in here, but I did think that it missed on it's full potential.
VERY :goodposting: So much potential, and there were a few times I :lmao: But it had a chance to be great rather then just OK..
Liked this more than expected as well.

Jupiter Ascending

I thought it was cheesy enough to be fun.

I am all about properly calibrating expectations before seeing movies and I had the most minimal of possible expectations for Jupiter Ascending and it still failed to achieve them. It was a steaming pile of stupid, piled on top of a bigger steamier pile of even more stupid. It was gargantuan in its capacity for stupid. An ode to stupid wrapped in an homage to stupid surrounded by an epic of pure stupid. Its stupid dial goes to twelve.

Then again, maybe I should watch it again.

I am all about properly calibrating expectations before seeing movies and I had the most minimal of possible expectations for Jupiter Ascending and it still failed to achieve them. It was a steaming pile of stupid, piled on top of a bigger steamier pile of even more stupid. It was gargantuan in its capacity for stupid. An ode to stupid wrapped in an homage to stupid surrounded by an epic of pure stupid. Its stupid dial goes to twelve.

:thumbup: and this time watch it with the thought process of... "It's this generations Flash Gordon" .. :)

:thumbup: and this time watch it with the thought process of... "It's this generations Flash Gordon" .. :)
BLASPHEMER!!!!!

BLASPHEMER!!!!!
:lmao:

I saw it with my 12 year old, so my experience is certainly colored by that.

If you like the Fast and Furious flicks, check out the 'What Say You' podcast from Brian Quinn and Sal Vulcano from Impractical Jokers. They've been watching and reviewing all the movies (except 3 because they felt it didn't fit with the rest, but now they want to get back to it for Dragon). Universal or whoever produces the movies caught wind of their reviews and set them up with a private screening of 7 for them and some of their podcast fans. Their reviews of the films are pretty funny.
Holy ####, thanks for this. Listened to a couple if the ones that I have seen of the series and loved it. Also didn't know they had a podcast so i will be listening to others. They should do a movie podcast, it would be amazing.

The Maze Runner - I don't get it. Does every YA book series need to be made into a film trilogy? I guess it was better than Divergent but Divergent sucked balls. The one thing they have in common, aside from desperately wanting to be the next Hunger Games (and failing miserably) and sucking many, many, balls, is that they don't even bother to pretend that they are complete films and the cliffhanger endings only increase the level of ball suckitude.

Balls.
I thought it was better than I expected, kept me entertained. The ending (or lack thereof) was somewhat annoying though. Id give it an average rating 3/5

The Maze Runner - I don't get it. Does every YA book series need to be made into a film trilogy? I guess it was better than Divergent but Divergent sucked balls. The one thing they have in common, aside from desperately wanting to be the next Hunger Games (and failing miserably) and sucking many, many, balls, is that they don't even bother to pretend that they are complete films and the cliffhanger endings only increase the level of ball suckitude.

Balls.
I thought it was better than I expected, kept me entertained. The ending (or lack thereof) was somewhat annoying though. Id give it an average rating 3/5
BALLS!!!

Lucy

Wasn't really expecting much with this one, but it still disappointed. Horrible ending.

1.5 / 5
there's so many bad comments about this movie that I'm already disappointed and haven't seen it yet. When I saw the previews I was looking forward to being entertained even if the whole thing was implausible.
It was recommended to me and I thought it was okay, but my female co-worker who raved about it made it sound much better than I found it. I thought Limitless pulled off the "mind-expansion" concept much better.

Saw John Wick.

I liked the hit man hotel and it had a good cast, but the action and plot were cartoonish.

Gunman

Sean Penn does the Taken franchise. But seriously, the movie has solid action sequences. Worth seeing.
interesting. It's getting killed in reviews
I was about to say the same thing. I'll definitely give it a chance though because I typically like Penn and I really like the supporting cast - Ray Winstone, Idris Elba, Javier Bardem
If you prepare for a movie with no sense of humor, you might like it. Dead serious, but good action.

Kill the Messenger:

Good movie despite my annoyance of Jeremy Renner. He stars as a reporter covering the CIA's role in arming rebels and the drug trade in Nicaragua. 6/10
Annoyance of Renner in general or just here? I really liked this one and was surprised it didnt get more publicity. Id probably bump it up to 7.5-8/10. I wish Omar got more screen time as Ricky Ross though.

What Carrey performance to you keep referring to? TTOE? Im :confused:

Blackhat

Had high hopes from the previews I saw that the theater, then saw the low IMDB score and waited to watch it at home...it's not even worth watching for free.

Lousy plot, horrible acting, idiotic depiction of technology, I could go on...to say something nice I guess the cinematography was good.

The Chinese girl is attractive but I found out after than she didn't speak English and memorized the lines - no wonder her delivery seemed so wooden and forced. :wall:

I've seen all of Mann's movies except Miami Vice and this was by far the worst. Hope I've saved you two hours of your life.
I thought this looked good as well based on the previews but I avoided it once I saw the reviews. Not sure I even realized Mann was involved either.

A Most Violent Year:

Had no clue this was the same guy who directed those movies - talk about polar opposites in Margin Call and All Is Lost...this has been on my definitely want to see list.

Kill the Messenger:

Good movie despite my annoyance of Jeremy Renner. He stars as a reporter covering the CIA's role in arming rebels and the drug trade in Nicaragua. 6/10
Annoyance of Renner in general or just here? I really liked this one and was surprised it didnt get more publicity. Id probably bump it up to 7.5-8/10. I wish Omar got more screen time as Ricky Ross though.
In general. One of my least favorite actors, even if there is no good reason for it.

What Carrey performance to you keep referring to? TTOE? Im :confused:
Wait? Are you telling me it wasn't Fire Marshall Bill starring as Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything?

Perhaps Redmayne was better than I thought.

The Theory of Everything

Wow, what a brutal movie to watch. The first hour was tough to get through just watching him lost so much. The second hour didn't get much better as it was his personal life and not his muscle function that was looked at. I can't imagine living the life he has.

The actor deserved the Oscar. He might even deserve it for the last 50 years of movies.

Did Jane have an affair with Jonathan? Elaine was not portrayed nicely at all in the movie... is she really a female dog or what?

Felicity Jones is top 5 for me. Has been since I saw Like Crazy a few years ago. I will watch whatever she is in. Not sure if she deserved the Oscar or not but she was damn good in this.

5/5... A+... great movie on whatever scale you're using.

The Theory of Everything

Wow, what a brutal movie to watch. The first hour was tough to get through just watching him lost so much. The second hour didn't get much better as it was his personal life and not his muscle function that was looked at. I can't imagine living the life he has.

The actor deserved the Oscar. He might even deserve it for the last 50 years of movies.

Did Jane have an affair with Jonathan? Elaine was not portrayed nicely at all in the movie... is she really a female dog or what?

Felicity Jones is top 5 for me. Has been since I saw Like Crazy a few years ago. I will watch whatever she is in. Not sure if she deserved the Oscar or not but she was damn good in this.

Chaka's head just exploded.

The Theory of Everything

Chaka's head just exploded.
G;LFIAJ;VO4T4[ TUER;GLJ'rojf[ewnptu[ TB[ h"UW"N i jt"WP(ATum'J tgpU YwJ t'3T U[3JTtU [$yupw496i34Y[w4ti3-6

Furious 7 - 3.5/5

They've done enough of these that going in you already know if you're going to like it or not. You know what to expect. Lots of explosions and loud car noises. I didn't like it as much as the two previous installments but it was good. I think this should be the last one.

Furious 7 - 3.5/5

They've done enough of these that going in you already know if you're going to like it or not. You know what to expect. Lots of explosions and loud car noises. I didn't like it as much as the two previous installments but it was good. I think this should be the last one.
without spoiling did they handle the walker role ok?

Furious 7 - 3.5/5

without spoiling did they handle the walker role ok?
Yes I thought that was very well done.

Users who are viewing this thread