Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 50.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • ChiefD

    4300

  • gianmarco

    4256

  • gruecd

    3361

  • MAC_32

    3013

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

2 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

I just KNOW you have a better greeting than THAT in you? Come on Hang10.

How about a howdy, or a how ya' doin' or a what's up boys? 

My bad. Howdy, how ya doin boys? Hope you're all doin well. 

But for real...

I guess I might as well give you guys and update while I'm here. My foot is still not great but after about 2 1/2 years I've found a PT that seems like he's got me on the right track. I'm hopeful that I can actually make a full recovery but it's going to take some time...which is alright because the time is gonna pass either way so might as well get better at the same time. 

On the fitness front, all the cycling races have been canceled this year so lately I've just focused on junk miles, KOMs and occasionally trying to smash my homies during group rides. Praying that there will be a season next year because I'm definitely much more comfortable on the bike and think I have good chance of being successful in the local racing scene. 

 

  • Like 15
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hang 10 said:

My bad. Howdy, how ya doin boys? Hope you're all doin well. 

But for real...

I guess I might as well give you guys and update while I'm here. My foot is still not great but after about 2 1/2 years I've found a PT that seems like he's got me on the right track. I'm hopeful that I can actually make a full recovery but it's going to take some time...which is alright because the time is gonna pass either way so might as well get better at the same time. 

On the fitness front, all the cycling races have been canceled this year so lately I've just focused on junk miles, KOMs and occasionally trying to smash my homies during group rides. Praying that there will be a season next year because I'm definitely much more comfortable on the bike and think I have good chance of being successful in the local racing scene. 

 

Will you ride in a bike race wearing a bow tie?

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hang 10 said:

My bad. Howdy, how ya doin boys? Hope you're all doin well. 

But for real...

I guess I might as well give you guys and update while I'm here. My foot is still not great but after about 2 1/2 years I've found a PT that seems like he's got me on the right track. I'm hopeful that I can actually make a full recovery but it's going to take some time...which is alright because the time is gonna pass either way so might as well get better at the same time. 

On the fitness front, all the cycling races have been canceled this year so lately I've just focused on junk miles, KOMs and occasionally trying to smash my homies during group rides. Praying that there will be a season next year because I'm definitely much more comfortable on the bike and think I have good chance of being successful in the local racing scene. 

 

Glad you checked in and it's crazy to hear that you aren't at 100% given your output on the bike.   You are a constant source of inspiration (and personal disappointment ) when I check my Strava feed.  After a long weekend ride, I look at my feed and see that you usually had double the miles and probably double the speed.  Then I remember that you also smoked me in running too, so I humbly go back to looking at my personal progress and all is good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Brony said:

Glad you checked in and it's crazy to hear that you aren't at 100% given your output on the bike.   You are a constant source of inspiration (and personal disappointment ) when I check my Strava feed.  After a long weekend ride, I look at my feed and see that you usually had double the miles and probably double the speed.  Then I remember that you also smoked me in running too, so I humbly go back to looking at my personal progress and all is good. 

Appreciate it. 

Don't sell yourself short. You're a tremendous slouch. 

But in all seriousness a lot of my rides are with other cyclists. Drafting and such and that makes for easier faster miles.

When you're feeling up to it id suggest checking out the local bike shop ride. Its kinda intimidating at first but once you get the feel for riding in a pace line you'll wonder why you waited so long to do it.

Plus its just more fun to ride with some good dudes and dudettes. 

Edited by Hang 10
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hang 10 said:

Appreciate it. 

Don't sell yourself short. You're a tremendous slouch. 

But in all seriousness a lot of my rides are with other cyclists. Drafting and such and that makes for easier faster miles.

When you're feeling up to it id suggest checking out the local bike shop ride. Its kinda intimidating at first but once you get the feel for riding in a pace line you'll wonder why you waited so long to do it.

Plus its just more fun to ride with some good dudes and dudettes. 

Great advises.

Nothing helps build your pace on the bike more than getting a line and drafting. When you go off and ride solo, your legs remember it.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hang 10 said:

Bummer that you're giving up the running shoes but cycling is awesome. I'm sure the more you go "full cyclist" the more you'll enjoy it. Get some lycra and get after it! 

He’s back!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, gruecd said:

And again...

Well la-di-da grue is mr hot sheeeeit because he mentioned an obscure tight end playing for the packers which is pretty funny if you think about a tight end and packers and, well....you know.....anyway....he scores two touchdowns on monday night and now grue thinks he is the grue-rue for fantasy football in a thread about running with a bunch of guys who really don’t care about fantasy football anymore....

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Well la-di-da grue is mr hot sheeeeit because he mentioned an obscure tight end playing for the packers which is pretty funny if you think about a tight end and packers and, well....you know.....anyway....he scores two three touchdowns on monday night and now grue thinks he is the grue-rue for fantasy football in a thread about running with a bunch of guys who really don’t care about fantasy football anymore....

FYP

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zasada said:

I rostered him (based on your advice), but didn't start him (over Hurst).  

He'll be staying on my roster!

The real question is if he does anything when any o the first team MASH unit WRs come back.

Look at me, I have Adams on my team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

The real question is if he does anything when any o the first team MASH unit WRs come back.

Look at me, I have Adams on my team.

He’ll definitely lose targets when Davante comes back in week 6, but he’s still a solid TE1. Rodgers loves him, and to be honest, I’ve got a bit of a @ChiefD/Mahomes-esque man crush myself. :wub:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ate like absolute crap yesterday and didn't do any exercise besides an easy 20-minute recovery ride on the Peloton.  Woke up this morning feeling fat and sluggish and was THIS close to skipping my morning run and going back to bed.  Looked at my weather app and saw that it's supposed to be quite a bit warmer this afternoon, so I sucked it up and headed out the door.  First couple of miles were kinda zombie-like, but then everything just came together.  The end result was a hilly 10-mile progression run with almost 500 feet of elevation gain.  First mile 8:26, last mile 6:39.  The further I went, the stronger I felt.

Had a similar run last week a couple of hours after eating an entire package of cookies.  Kinda makes me wonder....do I not eat enough normally?  Am I underfueled?  Hmmm....

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Ate like absolute crap yesterday and didn't do any exercise besides an easy 20-minute recovery ride on the Peloton.  Woke up this morning feeling fat and sluggish and was THIS close to skipping my morning run and going back to bed.  Looked at my weather app and saw that it's supposed to be quite a bit warmer this afternoon, so I sucked it up and headed out the door.  First couple of miles were kinda zombie-like, but then everything just came together.  The end result was a hilly 10-mile progression run with almost 500 feet of elevation gain.  First mile 8:26, last mile 6:39.  The further I went, the stronger I felt.

Had a similar run last week a couple of hours after eating an entire package of cookies.  Kinda makes me wonder....do I not eat enough normally?  Am I underfueled?  Hmmm....

Same for me!  Ate too much yesterday, including a pint of Halo Top, and this morning's run was the best 21km I've done in a long time.

Cool temps don't hurt, either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Bow tie?  

Back when @Hang 10 was running all the time (and quite fast I might add), he ran a race and he ended up wearing a bow tie, with shorts and singlet.  I don't recall why but it was in his Strava feed or his profile pic for a while. 

 

Always made me laugh.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Yeah. I ate like crap yesterday and didn't wake up to run as planned this morning. Yay me.

I ate like crap yesterday and didn't plan to run this morning.

I win.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteelCurtain said:

Back when @Hang 10 was running all the time (and quite fast I might add), he ran a race and he ended up wearing a bow tie, with shorts and singlet.  I don't recall why but it was in his Strava feed or his profile pic for a while. 

 

Always made me laugh.

 

It was a Halloween 10K and I was going with a minimalist costume. The costume also had cuffs btw. 😎

Edited by Hang 10
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

What had been your intended race strategy?  Run aerobically throughout?  Run comfortably, but walk/break at the aid stations?  Run/walk combo?

Run the whole damn thing at something under 8:24 average pace 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Injuried :sigh: really messed up my back last week doing my "Chance for Hope" 5k. So ridiculous as I felt great, not pushing it hard...at all. Finished up the run and did some strength training and stretching when my lower back started getting tighter & tighter. Fast forward to Thursday AM and I can hardly sit down to take my morning glory WTF?! Went to the Chiro on Friday along with a massage with no relief, in fact, it felt worse. Decided to go to Urgent Care on Monday AM as the weekend continued to suck. MD said muscle spasms and gave me a shot of Toradol and anti inflammatory &  prescribed Beclofan. Still no relief today. Looking at going to the sports clinic if it doesn't get better by Friday. Reading this thread makes me really impressed with some of you BAMF'rs in here. Don't take your abilities for granted, we are blessed to be able to do the things we want to do. Be Well, Ya'll!

  • Sad 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dark Matter said:

Injuried :sigh: really messed up my back last week doing my "Chance for Hope" 5k. So ridiculous as I felt great, not pushing it hard...at all. Finished up the run and did some strength training and stretching when my lower back started getting tighter & tighter. Fast forward to Thursday AM and I can hardly sit down to take my morning glory WTF?! Went to the Chiro on Friday along with a massage with no relief, in fact, it felt worse. Decided to go to Urgent Care on Monday AM as the weekend continued to suck. MD said muscle spasms and gave me a shot of Toradol and anti inflammatory &  prescribed Beclofan. Still no relief today. Looking at going to the sports clinic if it doesn't get better by Friday. Reading this thread makes me really impressed with some of you BAMF'rs in here. Don't take your abilities for granted, we are blessed to be able to do the things we want to do. Be Well, Ya'll!

Try to stretch your hamstrings. Lay down and have someone help with your straight leg stretch.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

in spite of what you ALL say about him, @gruecd is a truly fine and awesome dude. just got the garmin watch... :pickle: ..... THANKS, Grue! 

I"m scheduling a day in April or May when I might get around to reading how to use the thing. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

in spite of what you ALL say about him, @gruecd is a truly fine and awesome dude. just got the garmin watch... :pickle: ..... THANKS, Grue! 

I"m scheduling a day in April or May when I might get around to reading how to use the thing. 

Except I see he set the watch an hour early just to mess with me. Screw that guy.

  • Laughing 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

So you know how when you go on a pre dawn trail run and you have to avoid the roots and rocks or you end up tripping and falling... That happened to me this morning.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...on a wide, open, nicely paved pedestrian only promenade with no roots or rocks. But that metal picnic table came out of nowhere. Well, also because I had my face down fussing with strava in my phone because I had set battery saver to on and strava doesn't like that. Down went Frasier in a metallic gong explosion. Thigh tok the brunt, and tailbone when I got spun onto my ###. Freaked the hell out of a woman walking the other way. At least I didn't hit her :bag:

  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

So you know how when you go on a pre dawn trail run and you have to avoid the roots and rocks or you end up tripping and falling... That happened to me this morning.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...on a wide, open, nicely paved pedestrian only promenade with no roots or rocks. But that metal picnic table came out of nowhere. Well, also because I had my face down fussing with strava in my phone because I had set battery saver to on and strava doesn't like that. Down went Frasier in a metallic gong explosion. Thigh tok the brunt, and tailbone when I got spun onto my ###. Freaked the hell out of a woman walking the other way. At least I didn't hit her :bag:

If only you had a watch....

  • Laughing 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ChiefD said:

See you in a few weeks. :thumbup:

A flat, presumably fast ultra is certainly appealing, but unfortunately my options for actually getting there (non-direct flight or a 9-hour drive) are not.  Plus I really want my pregnant wife to keep taking this COVID thing seriously, and she's already getting a little too gung-ho about hanging out with friends, even outdoors, IMO.  Me going on a 3- or 4-day non-essential trip certainly wouldn't help that cause.

There's a 50K trail ultra here in Wisconsin on November 8 that I'm thinking about doing.  It's run on cross-country ski trails, so it's certainly not flat, but it's 45 minutes from my house, and temps should be ideal in the 30s/40s.  Plus I'm familiar with the course, having run those trails many times in the past.  Might try doing my 52-mile FKT attempt next weekend (October 17), which would then give me 3 weeks to recover and get ready for the 50K.

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got out today after a few weeks of not running.  Funny, because of all days recently, this is by far the warmest and nowhere near as nice as it's been. But, schedule wise it was perfect to just get out for a little. On a personal note, things are better at home overall (mostly kids and school and stuff) so that played a part.

Also, I gave blood 3 weeks ago (double red blood cell donation) and it took its toll on me. I was pretty fatigued for a few days and lightheaded every time I stood up. Between that and everything else, I wanted to wait. I've finally been feeling better last few days. Of note, I can't believe I did that same donation a week before my 5K a couple years ago and tried to race. No wonder I crashed and burned.

Anyway, there are still definitely effects from the donation 3 weeks out. I know I haven't been running, but my HR today was hilariously high at a slow pace. So bad. Luckily I didn't actually feel that bad for most of it, especially in the beginning. Just crazy that 1 month ago I ran a marathon and today I struggled to run a slow 4 miles. The interesting thing was that my HR in the 160s didn't feel that uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, my right quad started tightening up again after a couple miles same as it did at the end of the marathon. I'm sure it's related to my IT band being tight and not running at all lately but a little bummed it was even an issue. Stopped a couple times to stretch out my quad and buy a little time before the knee would hurt again. I need to stretch and probably foam roll and work on the strength which I haven't been doing. 

Anyway, was just nice to get out in beautiful weather and just run for running sake.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Just get to mile 46....its all down hill from there!  :towelwave:

It actually is.  I run that part of it a lot.  That's actually where I ran my 5K for our race series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Cool, but I wish they gave you enough information to actually try it for yourself.  I can get a pretty good estimate of my VO2Max and what they're calling E1, but then they put a formula in with a bunch of unexplained parameters - what the heck is gamma1?  :kicksrock:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I hadn't read about TRIMP before.  I spent a few minutes looking for a TRIMP calculator but didn't find anything useful.

We could just simplify it for us simpletons: Tempo Runs Increase Marathon Performance.

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...