What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (11 Viewers)

My wife made me do this when I went to Las Vegas last weekend.

Learned two things:

1.  Some people are very, very reluctant to tell GM to eff off, including a midget who dresses up like a leprechaun and pours creme de menth into bachelorettes' mouths at O'Shea's. 

2.  Others are weirdly enthusiastic about telling GM to eff off.

https://youtu.be/Bf2m6IssRZQ
amazing.

ok- I know know what GM and Shuke look like in here, so are those random people or gmtanners? amazing either way.

Learned two things:

1.  Some people are very, very reluctant to tell GM to eff off, including a midget who dresses up like a leprechaun and pours creme de menth into bachelorettes' mouths at O'Shea's. 

#### you Tinkers!

amazing.

ok- I know know what GM and Shuke look like in here, so are those random people or gmtanners? amazing either way.

A bunch of us were in Vegas for our friend Russ's birthday.  Guy in the towel is a poker player called "Shut Up" Andy Kosinski.  The "life is like a box of eff you, Forrest" is Steve Albini.  Other two are related to Russ.  None of them, as far as I know, are aware of this board's existence.  

A bunch of us were in Vegas for our friend Russ's birthday.  Guy in the towel is a poker player called "Shut Up" Andy Kosinski.  The "life is like a box of eff you, Forrest" is Steve Albini.  Other two are related to Russ.  None of them, as far as I know, are aware of this board's existence.  
Little upset to see Albini not wearing his Jack O Nuts shirt.

Learned two things:

One of those guys looks like Charlie Sheen's meth head twin brother. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly wore his Beastqueef shirt, and his Nitty Kitty shirt.  Lamented having no more shirts with wolves on them.  

I wore my Unlucky Ducky ("My aces always get quacked!" Shirt.
Jack O Nuts is a long running inside joke among me and one of my life-long friends. When I saw him wearing that Tshirt when BSing with Bourdain @ Ricobene's on Parts Unknown I almost crapped myself.

I was a better baseball player too... until I couldnt' take the relentless boredom of it and stopped playing at 15 when I realized I could just play soccer 24/7 instead. any "sport" that's boring to watch AND play is a tough sell. 
my parents asked why i quit baseball at 15.  was not great but not bad either. it's because games lasted 2+ hours and, at most, totaled 3 minutes of actual action.

what a ####ing sport

my parents asked why i quit baseball at 15.  was not great but not bad either. it's because games lasted 2+ hours and, at most, totaled 3 minutes of actual action.

what a ####ing sport
baseball was my main sport... but unless I was pitching or hitting, it was nap-time. I played CF when not pitching. used to stand out there and juggle my mitt with my feet to keep myself from falling asleep.

but I still love going to a game every now and then- nothing like the walk into the stadium (taking the subway up to Yankee stadium is pretty great, even for a Giants fan) and seeing the expanse of the field for the first time... the crispness of the green vs the players' uniforms. and then the sound of the ball hitting the bat... just great. and then I'm ready to leave after the first dog and 2nd beer... let's call it the 3rd inning.

it's an enterprise built on an expectation that maybe something happens. I get the dislike for soccer from some- same general idea in regards to waiting for a goal. but the sport is a lot more than the goals (it has to be, given the scarcity)... so if you don't care about the tactical nuances and constant battles over territory macro and micro, what's the point. 

i've always viewed professional baseball games as an opportunity to talk with your buddies, drink a lot of beer and stuff your face with food instead of actually paying any attention to the field

I find listening to the game on radio while at the stadium helps the experience.  just my .02.  otherwise, I just stare at everyone talking, eating or staring at their phones.  why spend the money to stare at your phone and buy 15- 12oz beer if you don't remotely want to watch?

baseball was my main sport... but unless I was pitching or hitting, it was nap-time. I played CF when not pitching. used to stand out there and juggle my mitt with my feet to keep myself from falling asleep.

but I still love going to a game every now and then- nothing like the walk into the stadium (taking the subway up to Yankee stadium is pretty great, even for a Giants fan) and seeing the expanse of the field for the first time... the crispness of the green vs the players' uniforms. and then the sound of the ball hitting the bat... just great. and then I'm ready to leave after the first dog and 2nd beer... let's call it the 3rd inning.

it's an enterprise built on an expectation that maybe something happens. I get the dislike for soccer from some- same general idea in regards to waiting for a goal. but the sport is a lot more than the goals (it has to be, given the scarcity)... so if you don't care about the tactical nuances and constant battles over territory macro and micro, what's the point. 
My oldest son is very into baseball. He is good. Not great, but good. He plays on a select team and has for about 4-5 years. I like watching him hit and seeing him make a running catch in Center Field. So his games are interesting for about 5-10 minutes tops.

I played lacrosse in HS, college and even still play on a men's league team, but do any of my 17 kids play? Of course not.

I don't really like soccer, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't know anything about the tactics and nuance. I am sure that would make it a lot more interesting.

On the other hand, I am only slightly more conversant in the tactics and strategy of hockey and I really like it.

But baseball? I know quite a bit about it and it bores the #### out of me. I am really glad my kids don't play soccer though. Because I live in Seattle and I see soccer parents out there watching those games when it is 44 degrees and raining sideways. And it seems like the parents I know whose kids play soccer are always driving to somewhere 2 hours away on a Saturday morning to go stand in the rain.

Last edited by a moderator:
My oldest son is very into baseball. He is good. Not great, but good. He plays on a select team and has for about 4-5 years. I like watching him hit and seeing him make a running catch in Center Field. So his games are interesting for about 5-10 minutes tops.

I played lacrosse in HS, college and even still play on a men's league team, but do any of my 17 kids play? Of course not.

I don't really like soccer, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't know anything about the tactics and nuance. I am sure that would make it a lot more interesting.

On the other hand, I am only slightly more conversant in the tactics and strategy of hockey and I really like it.

But baseball? I know quite a bit about it and it bores the #### out of me. I am really glad my kids don't play soccer though. Because I live in Seattle and I see soccer parents out there watching those games when it is 44 degrees and raining sideways. And it seems like the parents I know whose kids play soccer are always driving to somewhere 2 hours away on a Saturday morning to go stand in the rain.
by HS I was driving 3hrs each way every weekend just to practice

if my kid played any sport, I'd be all over it no doubt. especially if showed any aptitude. my best buddy out in CA has a select team kid... can't believe it's an all-year sport now, and like soccer, he and the kid are driving all over the state.

wish I knew more about lacrosse... and rugby. hockey was the first sport I allowed myself to adopt a NYC team since there weren't any in SF (Seals were long gone). I like it ok.

does anybody's kids play football any more?

I've only got a few friends who's kids do pop-warner, let alone HS or college.

wish I knew more about lacrosse...
It is a great sport to play and to watch in person. At least when it is played at a decent level. Little kid lacrosse has all of the charm of little kid soccer or t-ball, but with more crying.

It is less good on TV. It can be really hard to track the ball and see WTF is going on, depending on the camera work.

There are certainly some rules to know, but it is basically a goal sport. So it is like soccer or hockey in that the object is to put an object in the other team's goal as often as possible. Except unlike the other two it has an off-sides rule that is really easy to understand.

It is a great sport to play and to watch in person. At least when it is played at a decent level. Little kid lacrosse has all of the charm of little kid soccer or t-ball, but with more crying.

It is less good on TV. It can be really hard to track the ball and see WTF is going on, depending on the camera work.

There are certainly some rules to know, but it is basically a goal sport. So it is like soccer or hockey in that the object is to put an object in the other team's goal as often as possible. Except unlike the other two it has an off-sides rule that is really easy to understand.
I find myself watching college lacrosse on tv and enjoying it. unless it's those duke mofos.

does anybody's kids play football any more?

I've only got a few friends who's kids do pop-warner, let alone HS or college.
My oldest played youth football for two seasons and freshman football last year in HS. Between his mom being irrationally worried about concussions and his pretty tough course load this year, he didn't play last fall. I didn't say much but was very bummed.

When a few of the kids get out of the house I plan to coach in the local HS's youth system. I saw some really bad coaching when he was playing as a grade school kid.

I find myself watching college lacrosse on tv and enjoying it. unless it's those duke mofos.
I don't dislike Duke lacrosse or football. In fact, I have a couple buddies who played lacrosse there. I do actively root for the former Duke coach who got such a raw deal though. He has turned a tiny Rhode Island school into a (relative) powerhouse.

But Duke basketball... :rant:

Learned two things:

:lmao:

:lmao:

I hope when I die my kids find this and are left with nothing but questions.

Good Christ. Albini produced Surfer Rosa.  

GB SonQ playing hockey and lacrosse.  He plaid baseball for a couple years and was good but bored to tears. 

DaughterQ is quite un-athletic.  She did softball one year.  Got hit in the head by a thrown ball  and concussed.

Users who are viewing this thread