What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (14 Viewers)

My sons started school day after labor day.  We have yet to see report cards for either one.  This is........Weird. 
Report cards would assign a relative ranking according to accomplishments. Maybe they are doing away with report cards due to making some of the lower performing students (not judging why) uncomfortable?  Many high schools  no longer calculate class rank. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's National Margarita Day. I hope everyone gets out there and celebrates America's favorite way to screw up perfectly good tequila.
That's damn near blasphemy.

Of course you don't put really good tequila in a margarita, but a good margarita is truly the highest and best use of mid-tier tequila. 

The kind of tequila that comes in plastic jugs is also good for cleaning your patio.

This is a really interesting article.

It is a serious analysis of a variety of topics, so it may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it is the kind of thing at least some of the folks in here will find interesting.

It isn't overtly political, but discussion of it would almost inevitably lead to a political discussion, so I am just going to present it here without comment, other than to say I don't necessarily endorse the author's conclusions or worldview.  

Again, very climatically similar. 
IIRC Lutheran charities were heavily involved in these countries during and after the civil crises. So when refugees were looking to come to the US they went where the only Americans they had ever met lived - upper Midwest. 

And I know Minnesota has historically been very open to refugees. 

IIRC Lutheran charities were heavily involved in these countries during and after the civil crises. So when refugees were looking to come to the US they went where the only Americans they had ever met lived - upper Midwest. 

And I know Minnesota has historically been very open to refugees. 
Makes sense.

When I was in Oslo a bunch of the cab drivers were Somalis.

RedmondLonghorn said:
It makes sense, because the climate of Wisconsin is so similar to the uplands of SE Asia. :mellow:
THANKS OBAMA!

as i'd always understood, the federal government took in its Vietnamese/Lao/Thai ally refugees and settled them in places that were not..... ethnically diverse... in an attempt to .... uhh.. diversify.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding of why Minnesota and the Dakotas are so full of Scandinavians is that when they were constructing railroads, they needed workers who could brave the cold weather and thus, an influx of Norwegians, Swedes and, uh, Vikings?  

I think.

My understanding of why Minnesota and the Dakotas are so full of Scandinavians is that when they were constructing railroads, they needed workers who could brave the cold weather and thus, an influx of Norwegians, Swedes and, uh, Vikings?  

I think.
Pretty sure they bribed them with lutefisk.

Sounds like they mastered your signature already
I was thinking about this the other day.  I used to forge my dad's signature to get out of school when I was in HS and was pretty good at it.  Today, if Cooper or Kellen is so much as tardy in a class, I get an email, phone call and text almost simultaneously like a goddaamn Amber Alert.  Even if they are 'excused'.  They are going to have to get very creative to skip class in the future because technology has really c0ck blocked them.

RedmondLonghorn said:
This is a really interesting article.

It is a serious analysis of a variety of topics, so it may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it is the kind of thing at least some of the folks in here will find interesting.

It isn't overtly political, but discussion of it would almost inevitably lead to a political discussion, so I am just going to present it here without comment, other than to say I don't necessarily endorse the author's conclusions or worldview.  
I've been trying to read this since 9am.  It's......tedious.  Like trading players in fantasy football levels of tedium.  

I've been trying to read this since 9am.  It's......tedious.  Like trading players in fantasy football levels of tedium.  
Took about 4 minutes to read it. 

The economy is generally worse than perceived, and has had more of an overall negative effect on individuals than is typically reported.   As a result (or possibly coincidentally), lots of people self-medicate.  This is a slow decline and it is likely as the prospects for individual economic success continue to worsen use of drugs and alcohol will continue to increase.  Also, there's more crime and more people land in jail when there are less jobs and more substance abuse.

The economy is generally worse than perceived, and has had more of an overall negative effect on individuals than is typically reported.   As a result (or possibly coincidentally), lots of people self-medicate.  This is a slow decline and it is likely as the prospects for individual economic success continue to worsen use of drugs and alcohol will continue to increase.  Also, there's more crime and more people land in jail when there are less jobs and more substance abuse.
Constant Marijuana use since 2000 has made it nearly possible for me to get through dry articles like thi.......HEY! Squirrel!!!

Constant Marijuana use since 2000 has made it nearly possible for me to get through dry articles like thi.......HEY! Squirrel!!!
You weren't really in the target demographic when I posted it, GB.

And if you think that article was dry, I could provide you some links to other stuff you really won't read.

Good summary. 

I found a few of the statistics cited pretty surprising and I follow economic and demographic data pretty closely.  :nerd:

duh

Weirdo chiropractor creates special glue for women to use on their lady bits.  Internet bashes the supreme hell out of this strange concept.  I thoroughly enjoy each and every scathing article I read about Mensez.  

Musical recommendation for folks that dig power pop...

these cats remind me of the knack, strokes, plimsouls, and a bunch of other PP bands from yesteryear. Not perfect but they grow on you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5B_g5u6cFc

@shuke

@krista4

@Oliver Humanzee
I dig it.  Have been looking for some new stuff to listen to - thanks for this.  Need to scour through your Spotify thread, too.

A couple of days behind right now - did you tell your Rasputin the fish that won't die story?

OK, a friend of mine mentioned a phenomenon that I was completely unaware of:  breakup sex.

This is a thing?

Was explained that it could happen in a couple of ways:

1.  Breakee is unaware that it is breakup sex, but it is breakup sex in the mind of the breaker, who goes for one last round before breaking.

2.  Breakee is aware of impending doom, or the breakup decision is bilateral, but the parties mutually agree to have a last romp anyway.

People do this?  Why?  Could the sex really be any fun at that point?

Seems like such an odd way to end a relationship.
You didn't go to high school?
I was unaware until after high-school graduation that everyone was having sex in high school except for me.  Being a Bulldoll, of course I had tons of opportunities, but I didn't think "we" did "that."

Come to find out, "we" all ####### did but me.  Wasted youth. :kicksrock:  

Musical recommendation for folks that dig power pop...

these cats remind me of the knack, strokes, plimsouls, and a bunch of other PP bands from yesteryear. Not perfect but they grow on you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5B_g5u6cFc

@shuke

@krista4

@Oliver Humanzee
Haven't listened to this yet, but there is almost no way they can suck as bad as the three bands to which you've compared them.  

The Plimsouls are the best of lot (certianly better than the other ones, though not as good as The Only Ones) in a post-Bob Stinson Replacements kind of way, but are pretty weak tea compared to Game Theory, Dream Syndicate and other bands of the Paisley Underground scene.

The Strokes are "pop music" in the sense that it is music that both fails to "rock" and aspires to popularity.  But no reasonable person would use the word "power" to describe any aspect of their Brooklyn Tom Petty schtick.  They suck.  

Here is some "power pop" that might have slipped under your radar.

The Go Betweens

The Clean

The Verlaines

The Dream Syndicate

Game Theory

The Chills

Users who are viewing this thread

• SWC