What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (18 Viewers)

how do owners of small construction businesses stay in business? 

75% of your work is done in the summer, i get it, you're busy. but to just ignore calls and leave money on the table makes no sense to me. a simple return call "hey, i got your message, we are up to our #### in business for a couple months but i can send someone out to look at your job and put something on the schedule" or "sorry, too busy, can't take new business now but my buddy X is great....", etc. would go a long, long way.

having worked a single year in the construction business and listened to my boss ignore calls, turn down jobs, be flat rude to prospective customers, etc. and seen the same but worse from painters, framers, concrete guys, plumbers, etc. working the same jobs we were was just amazing.

in the case of my boss, it wasn't because we were working 16 hour days 7 days a week already. he just didn't want to work. 

i know that's not the case with all of them but.. ####### hell.. make your money while you can. i'm trying to throw it at you.. just take the call.

75% of your work is done in the summer, i get it, you're busy. but to just ignore calls and leave money on the table makes no sense to me. a simple return call "hey, i got your message, we are up to our #### in business for a couple months but i can send someone out to look at your job and put something on the schedule" or "sorry, too busy, can't take new business now but my buddy X is great....", etc. would go a long, long way.

having worked a single year in the construction business and listened to my boss ignore calls, turn down jobs, be flat rude to prospective customers, etc. and seen the same but worse from painters, framers, concrete guys, plumbers, etc. working the same jobs we were was just amazing.

in the case of my boss, it wasn't because we were working 16 hour days 7 days a week already. he just didn't want to work. 

i know that's not the case with all of them but.. ####### hell.. make your money while you can. i'm trying to throw it at you.. just take the call.
there's a reason people hate contractors.  They're #######s when the money's good, and crabby #######s when the money's bad.

Small businesses are generally small because the guy/gal running the thing is small minded.

Construction goes on year-round down here, furley's boss would have to retire
guy would work us from 7 - 3 each day. no later. no matter what. if we ran over a few minutes not a huge deal but if we had 2 hours left on a project before we could move on to another job... too bad.. we were coming back the next morning to finish it at 7.

it's not just construction. this happens with every type of contractor I've dealt with. the customer service is awful.

it's not just construction. this happens with every type of contractor I've dealt with. the customer service is awful.
Honestly if a sales professional invested 20k into a contractors business with a decent website, sales process (CRM) and some level of professional quote/Follow Up process they could slaughter it in any major metro in the country. 

Also amazing to me is that more construction contractors aren't fined out of business for OSHA violations. So many of them don't even have the slightest grasp of what their regulatory obligations are.

Honestly if a sales professional invested 20k into a contractors business with a decent website, sales process (CRM) and some level of professional quote/Follow Up process they could slaughter it in any major metro in the country. 
Depends on if they're staffed for it though.   I have a buddy who does remodeling and construction and it's just him,  his dad and one other guy, so they just don't have the time to take everything on.  They stay busy for sure and I'm sure could take on more with more people , but I'm guessing finding reliable people to work for you is the hard part.  I know if it were my name on the company I'd make damn sure anyone I send out on a job is top notch 

I imagine their long term goal is to grow the business but probably a fine line between having too much work and not enough guys and too many guys and not enough work

Fair enough.  Maybe they've gotten better.   :shrug:
I mean it's a fast food burger, so I'm sure there are better versions in sit down restaurants and bars all over the place. But, it's good and their custard is awesome. I'll take it over Culver's at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on if they're staffed for it though.   I have a buddy who does remodeling and construction and it's just him,  his dad and one other guy, so they just don't have the time to take everything on.  They stay busy for sure and I'm sure could take on more with more people , but I'm guessing finding reliable people to work for you is the hard part.  I know if it were my name on the company I'd make damn sure anyone I send out on a job is top notch 

I imagine their long term goal is to grow the business but probably a fine line between having too much work and not enough guys and too many guys and not enough work
True. Finding good help is tough in the trades sometimes. 

Kidney stones sound like one of the worst things on earth. I cringe at the thought when I'm old and might need a nurse...even a hot one...who has to insert a catheter inside lil eoM...yikes. 

So I drink a ton of water....am I immune from kidney stones? Pretty much?

Kidney stones sound like one of the worst things on earth. I cringe at the thought when I'm old and might need a nurse...even a hot one...who has to insert a catheter inside lil eoM...yikes. 

drinking a ton of water helps, but it doesn't make you immune.  You either are someone who's crystals get together, or you're not.  My doc says some people just get em.  I haven't needed a catheter either time.

I owe you guys an apology.  I just realized that I never said “unquote” after I finished reciting a poem in 10th grade.  I am sorry if everything I said since then has been confused for poetry.

Nope.....

drinking a ton of water helps, but it doesn't make you immune.  You either are someone who's crystals get together, or you're not.  My doc says some people just get em.  I haven't needed a catheter either time.
This. Thank god, I've never had to have a catheter either and I've had them a few times.   They are the ####### worst . This one is pretty bad. 

Had my next Vegas airfare all cued up last night, but didn't pull the trigger. My experience has been that the best rates on Southwest are 75-85 days out, and we aren't there yet.

OTOH, demand in September seems even higher than normal. I may be too cheap frugal for my own good. :oldunsure:  

Had my next Vegas airfare all cued up last night, but didn't pull the trigger. My experience has been that the best rates on Southwest are 75-85 days out, and we aren't there yet.

OTOH, demand in September seems even higher than normal. I may be too cheap frugal for my own good. :oldunsure:  
I'm going September 22-25. Was able to use delta miles for me and the wife.  Haven't booked hotel yet though... anything decent on the strip is $200-$250 a night

I'm going September 22-25. Was able to use delta miles for me and the wife.  Haven't booked hotel yet though... anything decent on the strip is $200-$250 a night
Downtown possibly even worse. Life Is Beautiful music festival on your weekend. I'm looking at 7th-12th for NFL Week One. And I'm using miles on Southwest...I'm just such a miser.

:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread