What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (8 Viewers)

@General Malaise follow up question, if you would.  How come catching a prostitution charge (presumably as a John) ruin the career of a hedge fund manager?  
Well, not just a hedge fund manager, but an overly pious, wears his religion on his sleeve fund manager with an historical track record of creating charitable foundations to combat sex slavery and underage prostitution (which is noble; just not good when the outspoken benefactor is caught in a sting).   

Foundations, endowments, family offices and the consultants who are paid by the former to find matching fund managers conduct extreme due diligence before giving a fund manager money to run.  That manager has to check every single box and if they talk a very conservative Christian lifestyle, they damn well better walk it or that money will never get parked.  An indiscretion like using Backpages dot com to meet up with a prostitute at a sleazy motel demonstrates poor decision making for a guy entrusted to run billions of dollars, many of which belong to people in pensions, colleges, etc.  Guys who run these pensions and endowments can lose their jobs and careers for bad decision making and believe me, having a fund manager make national news for prostitution is a career killer.  

I like Jim.  A lot.  He was very good to me and we still talk today.  He always told me I had a job with him anytime I wanted and still says that, so I hate that this happened to him.  He says it was the best thing that ever did happen as it forced him to own up to his transgressions and be a better family man.  His wife stayed with him through it all.  He is worth a fortune, so his life and livelihood will be fine.  But deep down, this destroyed him, personally and professionally. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, not just a hedge fund manager, but an overly pious, wears his religion on his sleeve fund manager with an historical track record of creating charitable foundations to combat sex slavery and underage prostitution (which is noble; just not good when the outspoken benefactor is caught in a sting).   

Foundations, endowments, family offices and the consultants who are paid by the latter to find matching fund managers conduct extreme due diligence before giving a fund manager money to run.  That manager has to check every single box and they talk a very conservative Christian lifestyle, they damn well better walk it or that money will never get parked.  An indiscretion like using Backpages dot com to meet up with a prostitute at a sleazy motel demonstrates poor decision making for a guy entrusted to run billions of dollars, many of which belong to people in pensions, colleges, etc.  Guys who run these pensions and endowments can lose their jobs and careers for bad decision making and believe me, having a fund manager make national news for prostitution is a career killer.  

I like Jim.  A lot.  He was very good to me and we still talk today.  He always told me I had a job with him anytime I wanted and still says that, so I hate that this happened to him.  He says it was the best thing that ever did happen as it forced him to own up to his transgressions and be a better family man.  His wife stayed with him through it all.  He is worth a fortune, so his life and livelihood will be fine.  But deep down, this destroyed him, personally and professionally. 
now I feel bad for whatever snarky thing I said about his wife.

good for him/them. giving back- as he cites as his main reason for selling the property in that video- is a hell of good reason.

Foundations, endowments, family offices and the consultants who are paid by the former to find matching fund managers conduct extreme due diligence before giving a fund manager money to run.  That manager has to check every single box and if they talk a very conservative Christian lifestyle, they damn well better walk it or that money will never get parked.  An indiscretion like using Backpages dot com to meet up with a prostitute at a sleazy motel demonstrates poor decision making for a guy entrusted to run billions of dollars, many of which belong to people in pensions, colleges, etc.  Guys who run these pensions and endowments can lose their jobs and careers for bad decision making and believe me, having a fund manager make national news for prostitution is a career killer.  

nice edit

Thanks guys for the advice.  

I called the school to see if I could talk to the teacher.  Was told they weren't there yet and we would know who the teacher is during open house on Aug 9.

So we are going to push him to do as much as possible and see where we are then. 

I guess I have lingering concern about being one of those parents who thinks their kid belongs in advanced classes when he has no right being in them, and this whole thing has me reconsidering again.
Better to be maybe a little over your head in the smart class than not being challenged and in a class where the teacher has to spend 75% of the time riding herd on the idiots. We didn't push to put my son in the advanced classes initially in 6th grade and had to call the school to put him up there in 7th grade and he not only thrived, but said it was so much less stressful to be in a class where the kids behaved better and "could read".

Used my fingers and didn't need stiches, but I did chip 3 teeth.  It's ok, though.  My father's a dentist.
1) I am glad that there was no blood loss. :)

2) I am glad your Pop can provide.  :thumbup:

3) Can ya get me a deal on my dental care?  :D

4) May I recommend that you go with a baked potato next time?  :P

Better to be maybe a little over your head in the smart class than not being challenged and in a class where the teacher has to spend 75% of the time riding herd on the idiots. We didn't push to put my son in the advanced classes initially in 6th grade and had to call the school to put him up there in 7th grade and he not only thrived, but said it was so much less stressful to be in a class where the kids behaved better and "could read".
This was the primary reason we went this direction with floppinho. He's never done well in chaotic environments. We felt (correctly as it's turned out) that he'd be happier and learn better surrounded by the type of kids who at four could sit still long enough with a stranger to take that test. 

If an attorney with a coke-addled past, occasional relapses, alcohol issues, fond of prostitutes, and generally representing the scum of the earth (e.g., cannibals), there's a series on Netflic called "The Rake, I think you'll enjoy

If an attorney with a coke-addled past, occasional relapses, alcohol issues, fond of prostitutes, and generally representing the scum of the earth (e.g., cannibals), there's a series on Netflic called "The Rake, I think you'll enjoy
Seems judgemental...

Nobody's watched this yet? I don't know why I even bother anymore. Might as well go to the netflix thread

Nobody's watched this yet? I don't know why I even bother anymore. Might as well go to the netflix thread
4 hours ago, cosjobs said:

Seems like plenty of time for people to see that post and then watch an obscure Australian 4 season series that first ran in 2010.

GroveDiesel said:
Pretty interesting. Especially in light of Mark Zuckerburg's stance on the amazingness of AI and his ridicule of Elon Musk's concerns over AI. They've had quite the little public war of words over the last week. I think I'll take Musk's side on this.

The question is, will we do something to regulate and monitor AI development before it is too late? My guess is no. I could see someone like Zuckerburg developing an AI loyal to him that would essentially allow him to enslave humanity before the rest of mankind was aware enough to do something to stop him.
I also think Mark Zuckerburg and AI are evil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Close friends of ours just FBed pictures of him flying Etihad airlines in an apartment. Bed, sofa, flatscreen tv, private shower, minibar and personal chef.

I'm on Amtrak right now. Going to FB- Personal seat shaker, large flat screen window, semi private cafe, toilet w a poo cemented to it, and my seat even reclines.

Finally some good news (which we can all use) they put on Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'.  

Bad news: wife told me I was too loud when I sang along to Benny and the Jets.
After Elton we moved to the back of the bar where there was a live band.  More bad news though. It was like a local "show up and jam" thing.  That means song after song of blues based rock.  

Nothing wrong with that genre purse hay, but 10 songs that sound almost exactly the same gets old real fast.  I told the wife "$20'says they play 'Before You Accuse Me'..."

5 songs later, bam.

After Elton we moved to the back of the bar where there was a live band.  More bad news though. It was like a local "show up and jam" thing.  That means song after song of blues based rock.  

Nothing wrong with that genre purse hay, but 10 songs that sound almost exactly the same gets old real fast.  I told the wife "$20'says they play 'Before You Accuse Me'..."

5 songs later, bam.
That must have hit her like smokestack lightning.

Mrs. O is taking me out for some Mexican food after surviving Comic Con earlier today.  I have had a couple Tito's shots and plan to walk the dog, head to the restaurant, and drink some margaritas.  Ready for vacation next week already.   :bowtie:

Users who are viewing this thread