What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (13 Viewers)

This is pretty much what I am doing.  Whole lotta ### going to hit the fan with this company by December and I don't want any parts of it.  This is the largest company I have worked for in my career and by far the most miserable group of people I have ever met.  I essentially told the PM on the FEMA project that I can't do OT, but will do what I can.  My boss has been really cool with me and knows what my intentions are moving forward. He's not too far from where I currently am with this company.  
sounds like you've made all the right moves... especially telling them you're no-go with the OT. 

if the layoff is big (although it sounds like it's just your group)- probably best to giddy-up on out of that place before a bunch of co-workers are all looking for the same job. how's the market?

sounds like you've made all the right moves... especially telling them you're no-go with the OT. 

if the layoff is big (although it sounds like it's just your group)- probably best to giddy-up on out of that place before a bunch of co-workers are all looking for the same job. how's the market?
Market is actually pretty good for me.  A couple of options out there including working from home for a consulting group that does what I do exclusively.  I was offered a lower paying job a couple of months back.  Between that and the commute, it was a no-go, but possibly make some deal where I can remote in some days and maybe get some other perks to offset the salary decrease.  I also have friends keeping an eye out for me.  Admittedly I'm not stressed out about this situation since my skill set is in demand and I will go elsewhere.  I just don't want to end up in another corporate sweatshop.  Going out on my own is not really an option unfortunately.  Did it a bit before and not really lucrative for me.

This is what I was going to bring up.  It makes a bad situation worse when you know you'll be competing with another 15( or 20 or 30, etc) people who just got Pearl Harbor'd at the same time.

This is what I was going to bring up.  It makes a bad situation worse when you know you'll be competing with another 15( or 20 or 30, etc) people who just got Pearl Harbor'd at the same time.
My group is small and my field is also small meaning less of my kind out there looking at any given time.  I'm the only one in my group impacted mostly because I am not directly tied to a DOT project.  Layoffs will be mostly in other groups at a much higher rate than mine.

GLGB Osaurus. 

The physician 'town hall' at which I was supposed to give a presentation was rescheduled from the 24th to the 31st. My manager told them that's month-end, and I can't be spared. Dodged a bullet there. 

DA RAIDERS said:
the last 2 nights, around midnight, i have been treated to coyotes going absolutely ape ####.  they are very close to my house.  it sounds something like this.  with a bit more yipping, like at the end.  it's hella close! easily within half a mile, if not closer.  very cool and super creepy.  i'll try and record it tomorrow.
We have this around here frequently.  First time I heard it I thought it was someone's yippy dog down on their boat.  I've seen them in the streets a few times.  I always think, "Wow, that's a huge, loose German Shepherd....wait a second."

We have this around here frequently.  First time I heard it I thought it was someone's yippy dog down on their boat.  I've seen them in the streets a few times.  I always think, "Wow, that's a huge, loose German Shepherd....wait a second."
i live on the edge of a pretty good sized canyon, that is their home.  we hear them all the time and see them about once every 6 weeks driving home.  but this cacophony of sound has been next level.  and really, really close!  i'm headed out there tonight if i get home early enough. thops appreciated.

@-fish- you got my browser history, right?

Probably a new litter. Also the full moon. 

I was camping by myself few years back. I arrived at dark and set up my tent, there was no campfires due to summer fire season. Bout 10 mins into sleepy time I hear a pack of coyotes go nuts, they can't be more than 100 yds away.   They have a weird bark it kind of echoes.

Thing is they're really scared of people you will be fine

Our dogs have discovered that they like fresh blackberries. It is a surprise to me that Gus (German Shepherd) would, since he doesn't really eat anything else that isn't an animal product. While Riggins (our Corgi) likes cucumber, melon (including cantaloupe) and a bunch of other odd stuff.

Anyway, watching them gingerly pluck ripe blackberries off the the bushes is pretty amusing. Somehow Gus seems to know which ones are ripe and which ones aren't. Riggins hasn't figured that out yet. Not that I expect him to, bless his heart.

Our dogs have discovered that they like fresh blackberries. It is a surprise to me that Gus (German Shepherd) would, since he doesn't really eat anything else that isn't an animal product. While Riggins (our Corgi) likes cucumber, melon (including cantaloupe) and a bunch of other odd stuff.

Anyway, watching them gingerly pluck ripe blackberries off the the bushes is pretty amusing. Somehow Gus seems to know which ones are ripe and which ones aren't. Riggins hasn't figured that out yet. Not that I expect him to, bless his heart.
You and furley need to use the video function on your phones.

I picked a giant container of wonderful blackberries the other day.  Going back for more today.  There are thousands of them and I'm the only one who seems to want them.  They are heavenly.  
Since I have started picking them I literally feel guilty that I can't pick more. There are thousands of them in our yard that are going bad on the bushes because I can't pick enough of them.

This is pretty much what I am doing.  Whole lotta ### going to hit the fan with this company by December and I don't want any parts of it.  This is the largest company I have worked for in my career and by far the most miserable group of people I have ever met.  I essentially told the PM on the FEMA project that I can't do OT, but will do what I can.  My boss has been really cool with me and knows what my intentions are moving forward. He's not too far from where I currently am with this company.  
Steal massive amounts of office supplies. I still have Pilot razor point pens from when I worked for Microsoft 25 years ago

we got my kids a basketball hoop.  Wife was goofing around shooting so i run up and block her.   She says you can't play basketball with a beer so I school her with a sweet layup but the ball falls through the net and hits my beer and knocks it to the ground 
Oof.  Your wife isn't going to let that one go for quite awhile.  

Face.

Last edited by a moderator:

I had a dog named Riggins.  Always thought it was a pretty unique name.  Called him Riggs for short. He hated the Lethal Weapon movies.

I had a dog named Riggins.  Always thought it was a pretty unique name.  Called him Riggs for short. He hated the Lethal Weapon movies.
We call him Riggins, Riggs, Riggsy, Big Rig, Corgi, and "you little SOB", depending on the situation.

We named him for Tim Riggins, not John Riggins.

We call him Riggins, Riggs, Riggsy, Big Rig, Corgi, and "you little SOB", depending on the situation.

We named him for Tim Riggins, not John Riggins.
Ours was after John.  Adopted him from the shelter.  They thought he was a Shepherd/Husky mix. Our vet later identified him as a Wolf hybrid.  Turns out he had about the same temperament as John Riggins.  That damn dog latched on to my wife and became her great protector.  I can't even count the times I came home late at night and he tried to eviscerate me because he thought I was an intruder.  Just terrifying and I knew it was coming. She would have to wake up and call him off.  My friends would never enter the house first when they visited.  And when she got sick he was by her side every single moment. He's been gone now for several years and I still miss him. My wife to this day carries his dog tag (is it still a dog tag if it's an actual dog tag?) on her keychain.  She had never had a dog before him.

Here's to Riggins!  The Corgi or the Shepherd/Husky/Wolf.

I went to the gym last night and witnessed something that was YouTube-esque for sure.  Decided to do cardio on an elliptical and noticed this girl running on a treadmill almost perpendicular to me.  I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with folks that crank up the treadmill speed and run intervals and then jump to the side rails off the belt while it's still running and then jump back on, but it's pretty weird and also dangerous.  She's only running at 5.3 (this is my normal pace for jogging fwiw) so not very fast.  I hear a thud, look over, see her hit the belt face first, and then slide off the belt backwards and hit one the bikes in front of me. She laid there limp for a moment, came to, and looked stunned like a honey badger shaking off venom from a cobra bite.  Someone asked her if she was okay and seemed to be.  She got back on that treadmill like a boss and kept doing that stupid interval crap for another 10 minutes until she went to a stair climber.  I would have bolted quickly after doing something like that.  It was the first time I've ever seen someone wipe out on a treadmill and it really did look like a YouTube video in action.

This particular form of torture is good for you. Go like hell for 20 seconds, do nothing for ten seconds, repeat till you puke can't take any more. It's a helluva lot easier to do on the elliptical imo.
Ah, so that's where the "intervals" came in. Thanks.

I'm not up on the latest fitness fads.

(I'm not up on the oldest fitness fads either)

(nor the in-between fitness fads)

(or any fitness, really)

(I'm cracking a beer after I go out to smoke)

Isn't there a "pause" button on treadmills? It some other way of doing intervals besides this? Take too long for it to get back up to speed afterwards?

I went to the gym last night and witnessed something that was YouTube-esque for sure.  Decided to do cardio on an elliptical and noticed this girl running on a treadmill almost perpendicular to me.  I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with folks that crank up the treadmill speed and run intervals and then jump to the side rails off the belt while it's still running and then jump back on, but it's pretty weird and also dangerous.  She's only running at 5.3 (this is my normal pace for jogging fwiw) so not very fast.  I hear a thud, look over, see her hit the belt face first, and then slide off the belt backwards and hit one the bikes in front of me. She laid there limp for a moment, came to, and looked stunned like a honey badger shaking off venom from a cobra bite.  Someone asked her if she was okay and seemed to be.  She got back on that treadmill like a boss and kept doing that stupid interval crap for another 10 minutes until she went to a stair climber.  I would have bolted quickly after doing something like that.  It was the first time I've ever seen someone wipe out on a treadmill and it really did look like a YouTube video in action.
That is a particularly stupid move. Glad someone finally got bit doing it.

The thing is, the people that teach interval training on the treadmill tell you specifically not to do that. There's a mandatory round of burpees for anyone that gets caught doing it at our gym and the classes are all interval training.

Users who are viewing this thread