What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (13 Viewers)

Girlfriend is wearing my UHEM shirt as a nightshirt right now as I binge Arrested Development.

actually actually true

city planning is @Koya's thing, right?
In a general sense - development of walkable urban places which is heavily rooted in cities/urbanism. I see the world through a city planning lens, but from the perspective of the private sector/investor/developer which in the end, for me, means about the user experience in those places.

Glanced at the doctoroff piece - guys imminently successful, but I'm skeptical on two counts. While he recognizes the dangers of top down planning and very large scale institutional planning, unless it's addressed later, not sure he embraces the challenges inherent. 

More concerning, and related to the above, I've yet to see the mention of people. This thought that technology can change the city bothers me - technology is a huge factor, a series of tools that enable any number of strategies. But if you bend humanity to the will of technology, you end up with soulless places that no longer provide urbanism and often are not fiscally feasible over the long term. Think of the 6 lane suburban roads with no sidewalks where you'd be taking your life in your hands to walk a quarter mile to the store or post office - or gym.  Think of how municipalities are literally going bankrupt, unable to maintain -and rebuild when necessary - essential infrastructure (roads and sewer especially) as it took all the building and new growth from the first waves to pay for he initial investment, but now growth is incremental if not negative in many areas and industries, especially retail and suburban business parks. There is no new wave of money to pay for this next round of major infrastructure overhaul.

Back to Doctoroff, this repeated insistence that technology is the key lets the tail (and the BIG business interests and industries behind it!) way the dog ... we should be talking from the vantage point of building great cities for people. To maximise the life experience and any host of desired outcomes. With technology playing a huge role. But still, a role. 

Technology is the tool. Not the endgame. People doing well, doing better, a healthy city financially, socially and environmentally - that's the end game. The end game with the car example I gave when the promise of the auto was made 80 years ago was freedom, independence, the American dream.

The American nightmare, which can be discussed in the "other" forum, is not removed from this broken promise. Unless you love sitting in traffic and watching commutes get five minutes longer even year in many markets while your roads are falling apart, and the businesses that environment helped spawn (shopping centers, malls) are crushing under their own weight. Oh yeah, and that pesky municipal insolvency. 

That said, Toronto had done a lot of things right, as has Doctoroff. I'll give this a more thorough look later and perhaps allay my concerns. Or confirm then. 

ETA: In short, by forcing us to adjust behaviors to the demands and limitations of a particular technology and industry (cars and related industries), we've created entire cities focused on how to get from place to place... at the expense of the very places we want to go to - when not stuck in said car in between. Pretty brutal, imo. Just needs balance, and a people/outcome orientation

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got an email from a guy I sold my house to in 2008.   He got a letter for me that's from a class action settlement from a bar prep course I took 20 years ago.  I'm assuming that I'll be getting a check for $8 or something.

Free beer!
I just got one too!

for 26cents.

Just got an email from a guy I sold my house to in 2008.   He got a letter for me that's from a class action settlement from a bar prep course I took 20 years ago.  I'm assuming that I'll be getting a check for $8 or something.

Free beer!
I got my per diem check today for our school trip to Six Flags.  

You’re looking at a twelvedollionaire.

Although I did get some good financial news the other day.

The summer school class I’m teaching is freaking gigantic. 37 kids.

The salary schedule starts with a flat rate at 22 students and then you’re prorated for every kid after that.  

Blah blah blah...I’ll be making more an hour than I do at my normal job.

Can't wait to hear floppinhos avantegarde free jazz concert tomorrow. :mellow: actually true performance. Anthony Braxton. Kids. Playing free jazz. And no ####### puppet show.

So many years ago I worked in a restaurant that had a take-out room.  Register, counter, and basically a phone bank to take delivery/take out orders.

One day I’m working the register and a mom comes in with her two kids...a boy about 13 and a girl maybe 12. Very nice, All-American looking family.

We also had a cooler full of drinks. Mom buys each kid a Clearly Canadian to drink while they wait for their order.

in case you’re not familiar, here is how the bottle is shaped https://goo.gl/images/pKoyiy

Boy drinks his like a normal person.  Girl would take a sip, put the cap back on and then...see how far she could shove the bottle in her mouth.  Obviously she had no idea what she was doing but...yeah.  She’d go all the way until here teeth clicked on the wider part. Again and again.

She did it the entire time they waited for the order.  Mom and brother take no notice.

It was absolutely hilarious.  Nothing :homer:   about it.

A couple of weeks later same family comes in. I don’t remember or recognize them until mom buys them each a Clearly Canadian. 

I’m thinking “oh no way”.  But sure as hell, Sis starts going to town again.  Same as before.  I had to fight the urge to laugh the entire time.

Fastforward to a week or so later.  Same family comes in.  This time it’s a busy Friday night. I’m working the phones this time. We had a long desk basically below counter height where we sat and wrote out phone orders.

I see the family come in I know what’s coming next. As soon as the kids ask to get a drink I quickly grab a piece a scratch paper and hand the girl working next to me, Sandra, a note: “WATCH WHAT THIS GIRL DOES WITH HER BOTTLE!!!”.

Sandra looks at me with a quizzical look on her face.  I tell her “just watch”.

Sure as #### as soon as the girl gets her drink she takes a sip, puts the cap back on, and then goes to town.  Sandra is on the phone with a customer but watching.  After about 30 secs she finishes with the customer and then has to put her head down on the desk because she’s laughing.  

Sandra kept trying to answer the phone but would look up over the counter, see the girl doing her thing, and start laughing. Oh, and every time Sandra saw the girl she’d smack my leg like it was my fault.

Eventually the family gets their order and leaves.  Sandra says “how the hell did you know she was going to do that?!?”.  So I told her the backstory.

Pretty soon everybody that worked in the take-out knew the story.  The family came in at least once a month for the next 6 months and everybody knew what was going to happen. The girl did it every single time. Like it was her job.

I eventually dubbed them The Lovelaces. 

So many years ago I worked in a restaurant that had a take-out room.  Register, counter, and basically a phone bank to take delivery/take out orders.

One day I’m working the register and a mom comes in with her two kids...a boy about 13 and a girl maybe 12. Very nice, All-American looking family.

We also had a cooler full of drinks. Mom buys each kid a Clearly Canadian to drink while they wait for their order.

in case you’re not familiar, here is how the bottle is shaped https://goo.gl/images/pKoyiy

Boy drinks his like a normal person.  Girl would take a sip, put the cap back on and then...see how far she could shove the bottle in her mouth.  Obviously she had no idea what she was doing but...yeah.  She’d go all the way until here teeth clicked on the wider part. Again and again.

She did it the entire time they waited for the order.  Mom and brother take no notice.

It was absolutely hilarious.  Nothing :homer:   about it.

A couple of weeks later same family comes in. I don’t remember or recognize them until mom buys them each a Clearly Canadian. 

I’m thinking “oh no way”.  But sure as hell, Sis starts going to town again.  Same as before.  I had to fight the urge to laugh the entire time.

Fastforward to a week or so later.  Same family comes in.  This time it’s a busy Friday night. I’m working the phones this time. We had a long desk basically below counter height where we sat and wrote out phone orders.

I see the family come in I know what’s coming next. As soon as the kids ask to get a drink I quickly grab a piece a scratch paper and hand the girl working next to me, Sandra, a note: “WATCH WHAT THIS GIRL DOES WITH HER BOTTLE!!!”.

Sandra looks at me with a quizzical look on her face.  I tell her “just watch”.

Sure as #### as soon as the girl gets her drink she takes a sip, puts the cap back on, and then goes to town.  Sandra is on the phone with a customer but watching.  After about 30 secs she finishes with the customer and then has to put her head down on the desk because she’s laughing.  

Sandra kept trying to answer the phone but would look up over the counter, see the girl doing her thing, and start laughing. Oh, and every time Sandra saw the girl she’d smack my leg like it was my fault.

Eventually the family gets their order and leaves.  Sandra says “how the hell did you know she was going to do that?!?”.  So I told her the backstory.

Pretty soon everybody that worked in the take-out knew the story.  The family came in at least once a month for the next 6 months and everybody knew what was going to happen. The girl did it every single time. Like it was her job.

I eventually dubbed them The Lovelaces. 
I thought this story was going to end with you getting mouth hugs from the mom.

The old lady went to Galena with my mom and sisters for a wine tour. I’ve been home with my 2 boys for 2 nights and it’s been awesome. 

Anyways, anyone got an old iPad or iPad mini the kind don’t wanna unload so they don’t wanna use my phone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread