Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, General Malaise said:

Why would you ever trade a car in vs selling it on CL?  

There is one nice benefit.  It will wipe out the sales tax off the new car.  So, if you buy a $40K car, and you get $7K for your trade in, you only have to pay sales tax on $33K (or about a $500.00 savings).  If you think you can get more than $7,500 for your car on CL without getting murdered, it's better to sell privately.

In my experience, I have gotten almost as much via trade in than I would have gotten selling privately.  My last trade in I offered to sell it to a guy I work with for $6K.  He liked it but didn't have the money. I wound up getting $8K via trade in (not to mention the sales tax benefit).

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kevzilla said:

Convenience, plus not wanting to get murdered. But mostly the first thing.

and you get a tax break fwiw.

I think a Tiguan or RAV4 might be roomy enough for you. The VW had some really attractive lease offers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, cosjobs said:

and you get a tax break fwiw.

I think a Tiguan or RAV4 might be roomy enough for you. The VW had some really attractive lease offers

and a title should not make any difference. If you find a car you want to buy, I would be stunned if you don't drive home in it regardless of title status

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kevzilla said:

Title located...on my desk. I simply hadn't dug down to the proper layer. I swear I'm not a hoarder.

Lol.  Same thing happened to my wife. She traded in 2004 Honda pilot she had for 10 years yesterday for a Toyota highlander.  Could not find title slip yesterday. Found it today in same drawer she looked in yesterday,  but further down.  She traded it in because it needed new brakes, tires and the back latch was covered in duct tape.  I thought getting 1500 for it with 160k miles was a pretty good deal. 

Edited by Getzlaf15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always go to CarMax and get a quote.  Then I take it to the dealer and they match it for trade in.  Better deal with less sales tax.  I’ve sold a couple cars outright, but this is my preferred way these days. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I HATE selling cars to real people (as opposed to dealers or replicants).  I always feel guilty.

So it runs well?

Yes...once you get it started. 

 

Does the AC work?

Yes...in the winter.

 

Does the tool kit come with it?

Tool kit...burglary/rape kit...whatever.

 

I can’t wait to try to sell the POS 2008 Impala my son is driving now.  

That clicking noise is the AC actuator not a bomb.  It has absolutely no impact on the AC. Seriously, google “impala actuator”.  After a year or so you won’t even notice.

 And the heat shield just fell off 3/4 of the way. . Not kidding. You just have to replace the zip ties holding it on every 6 months.  Or you can take it off. Just don’t park on the grass if you do that.

And you can’t take out the key without a butter knife...which I will throw in for free.  If you lose the butter knife you can use a folded drinking straw.  Of course, those are going to be illegal here in a couple of years so stock up.  

Of course you could buy the $19 wiring harness that shorted out that causes the ignition to lock up because it thinks the car is in drive.  Google that too. Good times.

But that would entail taking off the entire shifter doohickey.  Hell, I’ll give you 2 butter knives.

Edited by Officer Pete Malloy
  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Lol.  Same thing happened to my wife. She traded in 2004 Honda pilot she had for 10 years yesterday for a Toyota highlander.  Could not find title slip yesterday. Found it today in same drawer she looked in yesterday,  but further down.  She traded it in because it needed new brakes, tires and the back latch was covered in duct tape.  I thought getting 1500 for it with 160k miles was a pretty good deal. 

1600

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Officer Pete Malloy said:

I HATE selling cars to real people (as opposed to dealers or replicants).  I always feel guilty.

So it runs well?

Yes...once you get it started. 

 

Does the AC work?

Yes...in the winter.

 

Does the tool kit come with it?

Tool kit...burglary/rape kit...whatever.

 

I can’t wait to try to sell the POS 2008 Impala my son is driving now.  

That clicking noise is the AC actuator not a bomb.  It has absolutely no impact on the AC. Seriously, google “impala actuator”.  After a year or so you won’t even notice.

 And the heat shield just fell off 3/4 of the way. . Not kidding. You just have to replace the zip ties holding it on every 6 months.  Or you can take it off. Just don’t park on the grass if you do that.

And you can’t take out the key without a butter knife...which I will throw in for free.  If you lose the butter knife you can use a folded drinking straw.  Of course, those are going to be illegal here in a couple of years so stock up.  

Of course you could buy the $19 wiring harness that shorted out that causes the ignition to lock up because it thinks the car is in drive.  Google that too. Good times.

But that would entail taking off the entire shifter doohickey.  Hell, I’ll give you 2 butter knives.

200

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Officer Pete Malloy said:

I HATE selling cars to real people (as opposed to dealers or replicants).  I always feel guilty.

So it runs well?

Yes...once you get it started. 

 

Does the AC work?

Yes...in the winter.

 

Does the tool kit come with it?

Tool kit...burglary/rape kit...whatever.

 

I can’t wait to try to sell the POS 2008 Impala my son is driving now.  

That clicking noise is the AC actuator not a bomb.  It has absolutely no impact on the AC. Seriously, google “impala actuator”.  After a year or so you won’t even notice.

 And the heat shield just fell off 3/4 of the way. . Not kidding. You just have to replace the zip ties holding it on every 6 months.  Or you can take it off. Just don’t park on the grass if you do that.

And you can’t take out the key without a butter knife...which I will throw in for free.  If you lose the butter knife you can use a folded drinking straw.  Of course, those are going to be illegal here in a couple of years so stock up.  

Of course you could buy the $19 wiring harness that shorted out that causes the ignition to lock up because it thinks the car is in drive.  Google that too. Good times.

But that would entail taking off the entire shifter doohickey.  Hell, I’ll give you 2 butter knives.

I came in here to post the *exact same thing. 

*Literally 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

since we're doing used car chat, wife is in maui, visiting her brother.  his dumb ### moved to reno, from maui, 10 years ago.  it lasted exactly 8 months.  straight back to maui.  being the over planner he is, they bought a fully loaded rav4, for the winters and what not in reno.  they tried to sell us this car when they moved back to maui, 9 years ago.  then, it was a deal/nice car.  practically no miles, yada yada.  i had no interest in buying a car at that time.  fast forward to today.  wife needs a new car, hers has 200k on it.  rav4 is now on maui.  has 85k miles, low for a 2007.  been in a fender bender.  been shipped across the pacific.  wife asks me if i'm interested in buying it. :mellow:  full kbb price.  and it's only !,1k, to ship it back to the mainland.

uhhhh....

i told her, probably not.  i'll look at it on sunday

LOOK AT ME!!!!!  I'M GOING TO MAUI ON SUNDAY*

*maybe to buy car :bag: **

**no ####### way in hell

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kevzilla said:

Update: I am high on new-car smell :yes:

Wow....  I just bought a new car five minutes ago.   Couldn't let my wife be the only one.  We drove both of our cars into the ground and was time for an upgrade. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

Last night, walking out of a chick fil a, as I crossed the drive through line a teenager decided it best to whip around the corner and hit me with his truck.  Luckily, I walked away without any broken bones. Only a lot of bruising and some road rash from where I was thrown to the asphalt.  

 

tl;dr-LAM, I dented the fender of a pickup truck with me thigh.

Seriously I hope you got his insurance info. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

Last night, walking out of a chick fil a, as I crossed the drive through line a teenager decided it best to whip around the corner and hit me with his truck.  Luckily, I walked away without any broken bones. Only a lot of bruising and some road rash from where I was thrown to the asphalt.  

 

tl;dr-LAM, I dented the fender of a pickup truck with me thigh.

was it @AhrnCityPahnder?

Edited by mr. furley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

Last night, walking out of a chick fil a, as I crossed the drive through line a teenager decided it best to whip around the corner and hit me with his truck.  Luckily, I walked away without any broken bones. Only a lot of bruising and some road rash from where I was thrown to the asphalt.  

 

tl;dr-LAM, I dented the fender of a pickup truck with me thigh.

You're lucky that's all they did to you. They hate the gays.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

Last night, walking out of a chick fil a, as I crossed the drive through line a teenager decided it best to whip around the corner and hit me with his truck.  Luckily, I walked away without any broken bones. Only a lot of bruising and some road rash from where I was thrown to the asphalt.  

 

tl;dr-LAM, I dented the fender of a pickup truck with me thigh.

This better be a very strange coincidence and not the guy I paid do this botching the job.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. My boss just told me I was saving lives at work

And he is not one to give out hyperbole.

Just told him that I was able to get a difficult resident to calm down and she at least listens to me now.

Called me irreplaceable and a miracle worker.

Working at a Mental Health transition facility is a long way from being an accountant in the backrooms rarely talking to people

Got a little dusty in here 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Thomas The Skank Engine said:

Counterpoint: Yesterday I drank a dozen Genny Cream Ales (among other things).  Shortly after midnight i found myself lying on the bathroom floor, sweating profusely.  Nearly crapped myself.  Twice.

Hey-Seuss T. Geisel, were you being punished?

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Thomas The Skank Engine said:

Counterpoint: Yesterday I drank a dozen Genny Cream Ales (among other things).  Shortly after midnight i found myself lying on the bathroom floor, sweating profusely.  Nearly crapped myself.  Twice.

Pretty common.  We used to get a case of Robin Hood returnables for $5 (plus 75 cent deposit fee if you didn't swipe an empty case from dad's basement).  

Pure barf.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Hey-Seuss T. Geisel, were you being punished?

It was an homage to my dad, who used to drink that swill (among many other things) back in the 70's and 80's.  And who definitely crapped himself more than once laying on the bathroom floor.

RIP in peace Pops.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

#Almondchat reactivated: 

If you're an almond fan, and I know some of you are, and haven't tried the Blue Diamond Gourmet ones, do yourself a favor and run out get you some. Mrs Epic came home from grocery shopping with the Garlic Herb and Rosemary Sea Salt ones and both are great. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...