What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (22 Viewers)

El Floppo said:
Just finished a 6 hour meeting with my very nice and indecisive Park Ave client, decorator and kitchen designer. 6 hours. Only got through 1/3 of my meeting agenda. Brain melting. Leaving. #### this.
Did they look like Mr. Drummond?  I'm going to continue to imagine they looked like Mr. Drummond regardless, but was curious enough to check.

El Floppo said:
Had an interview last week set up by a headhunter. Seemed to go well, but strange/maybe interesting job.

Guy used to be COO of arguably the apex residential design firm in NYC- the place my former head of arch has been trying to get me to join. Started his own firm last year, but is acting as owner's rep exclusively for a single client.

Sounds like there's a bit of architecty type work that happens as well, filling in holes in projects that the design and supervising architects can't get to. But overall, I'm having a hard time figuring out wth the job is. And I think the guy is too.

Amd not sure what the future is working for only one client in this regard, and as the second in command. I guess bridges to cross if when I'm offered the job. But also seems like there's no possibilty for growth at my current spot (money or opportunity-wise), even though the opportunity to design and build more (good experience) is there.

Dunno. Just honking out loud. 

Eta...lol...thinking, not honking. But I also like honking out loud.
At a certain point the experience is no longer as important as actually getting paid and advancing. 

At a certain point the experience is no longer as important as actually getting paid and advancing. 
I feel like I can always use more experience. the places I've been working the last 20+ years didn't produce a high volume of work the way this place does. while stressful, I feel like I'm getting better at what I do with more saturation.

but yeah- the fact that when I've brought up a raise or increased benefits after a year plus here, I'm reminded I'm the highest paid person on staff... including people who have been here 20 years... leads me to believe that money/responsibility isn't ever going to change if I stay here.

@Man of Constant Sorrow (or anyone else) - any opinions on Joella's Hot Chicken?

Supposed to be one opening near me later this year.  I don't have high hopes for a chain, but it'd be way more convenient than driving 6 hours to Nashville.
Wow - I see that they are in my area, but I have never tried them before. I will check them out when I am able (and report back), but I don't eat out often.

Let me know how they are if you get there before I do. 😎

I know i don't post much, but if you could, T&P could be used for my wife's family.  Her cousin, a volunteer firefighter, passed away 2 days ago after coming home from a fire call.  He was only 46.  He was a good man, devoted husband, father, grandfather, brother, son and cousin.  

If you have a chance, try donating a case of water or gatorade to your local volunteer fire department.  With the heatwave that is coming to the midwest and east coast, these volunteers will need help in staying hydrated.  If the department has to buy water, it comes from their operational budget for equipment and such. And if you do, think of Lt, Neil Cope of Station 80 of the North Belle Vernon Volunteer Fire Department.

Thanks for listening...

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Just bad timing with all of my projects having issues come to a head now. 
That's what I was up against a couple weeks ago. Stressed out prior, mostly enjoyed myself during, and have been thrown to the wolves since.

-fish- said:
Could probably tonight.
not sure what your time-table is, but I'm here for another hour or two at least.

my brother had it right when we were growing up... people would ask him what he wanted to be when he grew up- a semi-retired dentist like our dad. worked 3 days a week, went sailing at lunch, came to all my games, lots of vacations. has to beat this ####.

I made lobster ravioli with shallot and garlic butter sauce for dinner tonight.  It was amazing.  I normally make the sauce as just a garlic butter sauce, but I decided to try adding sauteed shallots this time.  I don't measure, but here's the basics of the way I make it the sauce:

• Garlic - at least 4 cloves, but depends on how many people you are making it for
  • Rosemary - optional, but I love the garlic and rosemary combo.  Just a small amount.
  • Shallots - amount depends on how many you are cooking for.
  • White wine - a dry wine
  • Chicken broth
  • Set aside some of the water you cook the pasta in
  • Butter - lots of it
Cook the shallots in a tablespoon or 2 of butter on med/low heat.  Stir it frequently.  You should stir this sauce frequently throughout.  Stirring at this point helps caramelize the shallots.  If you want them fried instead, then stir less frequently.  Add the garlic and rosemary and cook until they are a little toasted.  Probably about 2 minutes.  Keep it on med/low heat.  Add white wine and continue to cook on med/low heat until it's at least halfway reduced.  Add a little of the pasta water and increase the heat to med.  The pasta water will help it thicken since it has the starch from cooking the pasta.  Reduce at least to half again and then add the chicken broth.  Keep it on med heat, maybe a little higher like at 6 out of 10.  Reduce until it's pretty thickened.  Reduce the heat to low and add the butter.  Take it off the heat entirely after it starts melting and let it finish melting with the residual heat.  Stir it a lot, until it's melted and creamy.  Done. 

I made lobster ravioli with shallot and garlic butter sauce for dinner tonight.  It was amazing.  I normally make the sauce as just a garlic butter sauce, but I decided to try adding sauteed shallots this time.  I don't measure, but here's the basics of the way I make it the sauce:

• Garlic - at least 4 cloves, but depends on how many people you are making it for
  • Rosemary - optional, but I love the garlic and rosemary combo.  Just a small amount.
  • Shallots - amount depends on how many you are cooking for.
  • White wine - a dry wine
  • Chicken broth
  • Set aside some of the water you cook the pasta in
  • Butter - lots of it
Cook the shallots in a tablespoon or 2 of butter on med/low heat.  Stir it frequently.  You should stir this sauce frequently throughout.  Stirring at this point helps caramelize the shallots.  If you want them fried instead, then stir less frequently.  Add the garlic and rosemary and cook until they are a little toasted.  Probably about 2 minutes.  Keep it on med/low heat.  Add white wine and continue to cook on med/low heat until it's at least halfway reduced.  Add a little of the pasta water and increase the heat to med.  The pasta water will help it thicken since it has the starch from cooking the pasta.  Reduce at least to half again and then add the chicken broth.  Keep it on med heat, maybe a little higher like at 6 out of 10.  Reduce until it's pretty thickened.  Reduce the heat to low and add the butter.  Take it off the heat entirely after it starts melting and let it finish melting with the residual heat.  Stir it a lot, until it's melted and creamy.  Done. 
did somebody just try to post their rooster?

-fish- said:
Could probably tonight.
your pm box is full.

I'm here another 30 or so... another long and early day tomorrow, so I wouldn't be able to get properly drinks- but I'm game for a quickie if you catch my drift. pm your number and I'll text when I'm leaving.

not sure what your time-table is, but I'm here for another hour or two at least.

my brother had it right when we were growing up... people would ask him what he wanted to be when he grew up- a semi-retired dentist like our dad. worked 3 days a week, went sailing at lunch, came to all my games, lots of vacations. has to beat this ####.
i'm for serious when i say i want to come to NY and take you out for beers, get really dumb drunk and do something stupid. not... like.... that. more like "we might get arrested" stupid.

furley in the tombs would be something. 

wait...

not... like... wat? 
my friend doesn't live in Greenpoint anymore :(   but maintains a place of... business... in Red Hook that i'm apparently free to use. haven't taken him up on it yet but might have to kidnap you for a couple days and make MAGIC.

Two days ago an underground lightening strike exploded our basement toilet, killed the hot water heater and probably the dishwasher, fried most of the electronics in the house and knocked out AC for 24 hours in nice muggy 92 degree Maryland heat. Could have been way worse but the electrician who came yesterday was a smart, persistent guy who kept us from abandoning ship at the last minute.

It's gonna be 98 here today with a heat index 10 or 12 degrees higher.

I'm not sure how that all really works but it came into the house from underneath. A chunk of the vinyl floorcovering in the bathroom blew straight up in the air; we found pieces of it in the toilet bowl.

That was "my" toilet, too.  :(  The one that said "back right up, buddy. And make it a double." (Al Bundy)
would have been a quad if you were sitting on it when this happened.

Two days ago an underground lightening strike exploded our basement toilet, killed the hot water heater and probably the dishwasher, fried most of the electronics in the house and knocked out AC for 24 hours in nice muggy 92 degree Maryland heat. Could have been way worse but the electrician who came yesterday was a smart, persistent guy who kept us from abandoning ship at the last minute.

It's gonna be 98 here today with a heat index 10 or 12 degrees higher.
Yikes. Glad you' and yours are ok, my friend. If y'all want a break, you're welcome to my place. I can get lost for the weekend.

6:15... drinks.

have an interview at the other apex spot I mentioned next week.

@-fish- I hope you guys have been having a great time and staying cool. looking forward to hearing about it- hope she's had a blast.

6:15... drinks.

have an interview at the other apex spot I mentioned next week.

@-fish- I hope you guys have been having a great time and staying cool. looking forward to hearing about it- hope she's had a blast.
So far so good.  Walked around quite a bit today.   Took her shopping for her birthday.   She’s vegetarian so headed to some place called Ladybird in East Village that gets good reviews.  Seeing Mean Girls tomorrow.   Drinks are still possible tonight or tomorrow.

So far so good.  Walked around quite a bit today.   Took her shopping for her birthday.   She’s vegetarian so headed to some place called Ladybird in East Village that gets good reviews.  Seeing Mean Girls tomorrow.   Drinks are still possible tonight or tomorrow.
Excellent! The EVil is my hood, I hope you puked in our doorway like everybody else. Bwy show will great on a melting weekend.

When do head back?

Got rear ended on my way to a doctor’s appointment out of town (another fun story).  I was heading south on the 99 (I-5’s redneck cousin).  There was stop and go traffic due to a big rig jackknifing a few miles ahead.  Some geezer in an old Lincoln plowed into me, I hit a Honda in front of me, that Honda hit a pickup with a big ### trailer hitch.

My car should be fine, as far as those things go.  The poor Honda took the brunt thanks to the trailer hitch.  

Yadda yadda...5 hours later I’m home with a rental car.  

Im fine BTW.  Thanks for asking.

Got rear ended on my way to a doctor’s appointment out of town (another fun story).  I was heading south on the 99 (I-5’s redneck cousin).  There was stop and go traffic due to a big rig jackknifing a few miles ahead.  Some geezer in an old Lincoln plowed into me, I hit a Honda in front of me, that Honda hit a pickup with a big ### trailer hitch.

My car should be fine, as far as those things go.  The poor Honda took the brunt thanks to the trailer hitch.  

Yadda yadda...5 hours later I’m home with a rental car.  

Im fine BTW.  Thanks for asking.
If there is a God (there isn't)/the Universe has any sense of timing/humor you were on your way to the proctologist.

Users who are viewing this thread