What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (26 Viewers)

he's got that, plus 39 weeks severance. but definitely still wishing him the best for a good landing spot.

my own job-front... I am waiting to hear an offer from a place that my former superior has been trying to get me to join for the last year.

not sure its coming (I asked for a 50% bump) and not sure I want it if it comes, but might be a better long term option. the guy I worked under for 5 years at my last gig turned into a friend, and has relayed that my interviews went well and that interviewers both want me, but now a question of the boss-man (starchitect) and HR approving and offering.

I'm not a fan of starting over... and I'm only just pushing through the starting over phase (year and a half later) at my new gig. tbh, it's not been a ball of fun here- but mostly because of the growing pains of getting used to working under somebody new. with 2 big projects 2/3 of the way under my belt, I feel like the next new project will go much easier. and the easy time here is nice and easy. plus, we get payed for hours worked... which makes the evenings past  9 or 10 more palatable. plus, projects are run individually here- which I like. no coordinating internal teams and schedules- I'm responsible for making sure it all works. and the projects are all within my wheelhouse, comfort wise. 

the other place is big, same type of work but arguably the top in the world at it (residential)... so huge projects all over the world for the famous/rich. I've designed for those kind of clients before, but not in a firm this large with a structure like theirs (internal teams). I've also worked for a volatile starchitect type before and that was a really bad match for me. the work is beautiful and would push me in ways this current place can't/ won't... which is good and bad (more low-key here). the other place has great benefits and if they match my offer, pays much better with a lot more room to grow.... from pay/benefit/responsibility standpoint. 

hadn't meant to brain-dump there... tl;dr... overthinking getting a new job. 
Offer received. Need to hear about benefits specifics.

Two main considerations for me.

Uno... I'm an independent contractor now, no benefits but no taxes taken out- maximizes my take home but has us on Obama care. I have to do the math with the offer- going back to a W-2 might mean less take home which would be brutal.

Duo... A bit more stress at the new place, in terms of starting new, crazy boss, much bigger projects.

Three... They have a soccer team!

To continue the hiking talk....

I'll be seeing Red Rock Canyon and doing a tour of the Grand Canyon in October.

Any general suggestions/tips?

We're not hard-core hikers and we're renting a Slingslot for the 13 mile drive around Red Rock.
Those are those swimsuits that just go in your crack and over the shoulder, right?

Offer received. Need to hear about benefits specifics.

Two main considerations for me.

Uno... I'm an independent contractor now, no benefits but no taxes taken out- maximizes my take home but has us on Obama care. I have to do the math with the offer- going back to a W-2 might mean less take home which would be brutal.

Duo... A bit more stress at the new place, in terms of starting new, crazy boss, much bigger projects.

Three... They have a soccer team!
Congrats!

Make sure your doctor takes Obama Care.  Some don't.  What about going onto your wife's insurance?

With the taxes, I think you have to send deposits or down payments or whatever they call it to the government every quarter, so your very short term take home goes up, but I think you need to save that money and send payments periodically anyway.  Look into that to make sure of the proper way to handle your taxes.

Congrats!

Make sure your doctor takes Obama Care.  Some don't.  What about going onto your wife's insurance?

With the taxes, I think you have to send deposits or down payments or whatever they call it to the government every quarter, so your very short term take home goes up, but I think you need to save that money and send payments periodically anyway.  Look into that to make sure of the proper way to handle your taxes.
Yeah, reverse it. 

I am currently an independent contractor on Obama care (for a long time).

Taking the new job would mean w2  taking all of the increased salary, but with a supposedly good insurance (for whole family.. pushing three grand if I took it out of pocket on my own).

Added issue- we get financial aid for the kids for a bunch of stuff (legit) that would most likely be lost with the new salary as an employee. The wife had a plan in place to try for private high school for floppinho (going into 7th grade this fall) trying for financial aid. Not like I'd be makeing that much at the new place, but we're concerned it would be enough to lose out on aid.

Yeah, reverse it. 

I am currently an independent contractor on Obama care (for a long time).

Taking the new job would mean w2  taking all of the increased salary, but with a supposedly good insurance (for whole family.. pushing three grand if I took it out of pocket on my own).

Added issue- we get financial aid for the kids for a bunch of stuff (legit) that would most likely be lost with the new salary as an employee. The wife had a plan in place to try for private high school for floppinho (going into 7th grade this fall) trying for financial aid. Not like I'd be makeing that much at the new place, but we're concerned it would be enough to lose out on aid.
Sorry for the mixup.  It's been a tiring day and I wasn't paying full attention when reading.  Either way, congrats on the new opportunity.  You still have many years of work left so I would either stick with your current place or accept the new offer based on whichever is the best long term opportunity, including these considerations.  You haven't seemed happy at your current place so it's good to at least have other options to consider.  Where is the new company's office located?  I'm in Battery Park now, but hopefully we can find somewhere in the middle to meet for lunch sometimes.

UCLA doctor called this morning with results from last week's biopsies.  All good news.

Everything is still negative.  Will still need at least one surgery to remove benign growths.   And possibly one more surgical biopsy just to be on the safe side.

Link
Missed this as I'm not really a thread stalwart. Best to you, man. 

ok... if you saw "vacation- 10 days per calendar year (prorated the first year). Starts to accrue at 91st day at 6.67 hours/month."

would you assume it takes 3 years to get to the full 10 vacation days based on 24 hr days, or 12 months (starting at the 91st day) based on 8 hour days?

one of these is the wife's interpretation, one is mine. and one of us is holding this stance to the bitter death.

ok... if you saw "vacation- 10 days per calendar year (prorated the first year). Starts to accrue at 91st day at 6.67 hours/month."

would you assume it takes 3 years to get to the full 10 vacation days based on 24 hr days, or 12 months (starting at the 91st day) based on 8 hour days?

one of these is the wife's interpretation, one is mine. and one of us is holding this stance to the bitter death.
On the 91st day you start accruing your two weeks per year. At the end of your fourth full month, you'll have 6.67 hours accrued, 13.33 hours at the end of your fifth full month and then 6.67 hours every month after that up to the limit that the employer will let you carry unused.

40 hours of vacation time is one week. 

On the 91st day you start accruing your two weeks per year. At the end of your fourth full month, you'll have 6.67 hours accrued, 13.33 hours at the end of your fifth full month and then 6.67 hours every month after that up to the limit that the employer will let you carry unused.

40 hours of vacation time is one week. 
so to get the full 10 days-  it takes 12 months, or 36?

it doesn't say explicitly anywhere that 40 hours is one week.

google lunchtime news feed reading... not sure why I love this headline so much, but I do:

- New York airport worker fired for giving traveler 'terrible' note: "You Ugly!!!'

so to get the full 10 days-  it takes 12 months, or 36?

it doesn't say explicitly anywhere that 40 hours is one week.
Looks like it takes 15 months to get to two weeks; they're not accruing any hours for your first three months. (Sometimes employers with high turnover rates will impose rules like this to keep from paying out vacation hours to employees who left almost right after starting)

Looks like it takes 15 months to get to two weeks; they're not accruing any hours for your first three months. (Sometimes employers with high turnover rates will impose rules like this to keep from paying out vacation hours to employees who left almost right after starting)
why would you assume they're basing it on 8 hr work days- doesn't say that anywhere.

- floppo wife.

She might be right -- and she sounds like a wonderful woman -- if you are regularly scheduled to work 24 hours a day.
:lol:

my response: I know it's a more corporate office, but that would be pure corporate hell if they have 24 hr work days

her response: well how do they calculate vacation days based on what = 1 day?

this was after I mathed out the 6.67 x 12 = 80 = two weeks/10 days

full credit to my wife though- despite this exchange, she's genuinely brilliant and always finding different ways of seeing things like this in ways that ultimately make sense (or at least go towards explaining loop holes). but I think we've both been consultants too long if I have to spend any time explaining that work weeks are typically 40 hours.

6.67 hours x 12 months equals 80 hours (mostly). This year you’ll get 6.67 hours total if starting now. Start over toward 80 in January. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Every year there’s at least one kid...

After just 3 days he’s already identified himself.

We’ll call him Sean.

Today he was wearing a Khalil Mack jersey.  A Raider jersey.  Yesterday it was a Marshawn Lynch Raider jersey.

Also today...

I give all my kids a 3x5 index card.   On the card they are to write their first and last name.  I also tell them that if they want to be called something besides their given name they are to put that on the card too.

”If your name is Nicholas Jones but you want to be called ‘Nick’, put that under your name.”

On the board I had an example.  

I wrote “James Bond” and under it “Jim”.

Sean wrote “James Bond”.

We’ll call him Sean.

Today he was wearing a Khalil Mack jersey.  A Raider jersey.  Yesterday it was a Marshawn Lynch Raider jersey.

Also today...

I give all my kids a 3x5 index card.   On the card they are to write their first and last name.  I also tell them that if they want to be called something besides their given name they are to put that on the card too.

”If your name is Nicholas Jones but you want to be called ‘Nick’, put that under your name.”

Sean wrote “James Bond”.
Sean's like a mini-you

Sweet! It'll be the 18th-22nd. Be great to see you guys.

I lucked out on this one, because there's one of these corporate seminars in Philly in September. I REALLY did not want to go there (no offense to PhillyGuys), but the other manager wanted that one because he can drive (he's only flown once in his life and that time was with a bunch of us; I think doing it by himself may be more than he wants to tackle). 

I know I won't have time for a proper look around, but the farthest west I've ever been is Austin. 

I had planned on going to Mexico the week before, but this may throw a monkey wrench in those plans. A friend who is a travel agent is staying at the same AI I go to and is planning a day trip to Bacalar. I really want to check that place out, but don't know if I can swing two consecutive weeks away from work.
Well, that got blown all to hell in a week. Other-manager's going through a divorce and his wife wouldn't switch kid week with him, so I have to go to Philadelphia in September. Yummy.

We’ll call him Sean.

Also today...

Sean wrote “James Bond”.
That sounds more like a Mark than a Sean.

10 days per calendar year equals 6.67 hours per month so when they say 6.67 per month that is the pro rating calculation.  

91 days after you start you will start accruing at a rate of 6.67 hours per month. 

On day 91 you will have zero hours.

3 months later- on the 182nd day - you will have 20 hours.  

At your 1 year anniversary you'll have been there 91 days plus 9 months (@ 20 hours per 3 months) for a total of 60 hours. 

On your 15 month anniversary you will have accrued two full weeks. Every twelve months after that you'll have earned two more weeks.

10 days per calendar year equals 6.67 hours per month so when they say 6.67 per month that is the pro rating calculation.  

91 days after you start you will start accruing at a rate of 6.67 hours per month. 

On day 91 you will have zero hours.

3 months later- on the 182nd day - you will have 20 hours.  

At your 1 year anniversary you'll have been there 91 days plus 9 months (@ 20 hours per 3 months) for a total of 60 hours. 

On your 15 month anniversary you will have accrued two full weeks. Every twelve months after that you'll have earned two more weeks.
Please relate this to pizza

Tia.

Please relate this to pizza

Tia.
Imagine that you start working with a whole large pizza cut into 8 equal pieces.  

That pizza represents a calendar year, and every slice you eat is a month and a half.  

After eating two slices you now begin accruing vacation at 10 hours per slice.  

After hearing this analogy you can't explain it but you really feel like giving a blow job.

OrtonToOlsen said:

We’ll call him Sean.

Also today...

Sean wrote “James Bond”.
:lmao:   Rules

I have a 24-year streak of going to at least one new country every year, which is about to be ended if I don't scurry off somewhere for a few days in the next four months.  Just looking for a place that is (1) not a huge PITA to get to from here, (2) somewhere I've never been, and (3) not outrageously dangerous for me to travel to alone.

Any ideas (realizing that you won't know the answers to #2)?  They still killing people in the Dominican Republic? 

I have a 24-year streak of going to at least one new country every year, which is about to be ended if I don't scurry off somewhere for a few days in the next four months.  Just looking for a place that is (1) not a huge PITA to get to from here, (2) somewhere I've never been, and (3) not outrageously dangerous for me to travel to alone.

Any ideas (realizing that you won't know the answers to #2)?  They still killing people in the Dominican Republic? 
Costa Rica?

Canada

Hawaii

ever been to any of the ABC islands?

bonus: it's like 10-15 miles to Colombia by boat  :thumbup:
I've been to Aruba but not to Bonaire or Curacao.  Curacao would be of interest; maybe Bonaire but I just don't know anything about it.  I've been to Colombia.  Thank you!

Caribbean.... Anguilla. Dominica. St Vincent. Bequia. St Barths. Saba. Etc.
I've been to Anguilla, Dominica, and St. Barths, but I haven't even heard of the others.  More to check out - thanks!

By the way, it has to be a new country.  I don't know which of these are their own countries rather than part of another - for instance, I considered Bermuda but it won't count as it's a British territory.

Fiji?  Not sure if it's a PITA to get there.  Japan is a long flight, including from you, but there may be direct flights from Seattle so it shouldn't be hard to get there. 

How accessible is Europe from Seattle?  

Otherwise I would pick the Caribbean island you haven't been to and want to see. 

Honestly, there's so many places to see, without knowing where you've been or what kind of vacation you want it's hard to make a thoughtful recommendation.  Also, what's your definition of a PITA to get to?  No direct flights?  Time limit?

I've been to Anguilla, Dominica, and St. Barths, but I haven't even heard of the others.  More to check out - thanks!

By the way, it has to be a new country.  I don't know which of these are their own countries rather than part of another - for instance, I considered Bermuda but it won't count as it's a British territory.
Pretty sure Bermuda has their own Olympic team...thats enough for me to consider it its own country.

Users who are viewing this thread