What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (20 Viewers)

ooh, fun! you can play dress up at the office!
HE can play dress up. the rest just live in his world. 

although it would be an interesting experiment to show up dressed identical to him for the first week of work.

speaking of... I told them I could start on Sep 23 (had said Jan 2020 during my interviews, but they came back saying they needed me sooner, so I said mid-Sep). just got an email saying they want me to start Sep 9... my wife's response "see- they own you now".

I just this second sent the email and accepted the offer.

offer was what I had asked for as a throw #### at the wall from a position of employment and power... and I couldn't really refuse it. 50% more than I'm making now (albeit, will be as an employee, not an independent contractor, so my take-home should be about identical) with full health coverage for the family- decent, not tip-top- but full, which means I say bye to obama-care (which has been a god-send, tbh).

and while writing this... I've already checked out mentally at my current job... have to finish strong here to help get these projects over the hump. 

I haven't left a job of my own volition in a long time- it's been through layoffs my last three. feels... strange. with a recession being implied by the press on the horizon, I think/hope this new place will be more immune due to tons of giant and international projects. I've heard one too many times from my current boss that I'm the highest paid employee there to make me feel confident about them keeping me around if the economy and housing goes south.

thanks to gb @Nick Vermeil for lunch at his name-sake's and some good advice yesterday... even if some of it was cautionary about the new place. new boss is a bit of a...character. like, a character from the village people.
I said NOOO!  DON'T TAKE IT!  Jeebus.  You never listen.  

Good to see you for lunch! Good luck at the new job.  

So as I was leaving work today, a faculty meeting was letting out and we had a thunderstorm roll through. Stupid nice guy that I am, I got half-soaked going to my car to pull out a golf umbrella and  walk a couple of the teachers out to their cars (only partly because I don’t want their school-issued Mscbooks to get all wet. Yay me. Hero of the day.

Less then a tenth of a mile from my house they are repairing a spot where the road slipped away and there is one of those one-lane road temporary stoplights that is interminably red. Just before that I drove over some large gravel  from the construction and one fo the front tires just popped. 

At least I provided some entertainment for those ####ers who sat there at the light and watched me change the tire. No good deed goes unpunished. Jerks.

So as I was leaving work today, a faculty meeting was letting out and we had a thunderstorm roll through. Stupid nice guy that I am, I got half-soaked going to my car to pull out a golf umbrella and  walk a couple of the teachers out to their cars (only partly because I don’t want their school-issued Mscbooks to get all wet. Yay me. Hero of the day.

Less then a tenth of a mile from my house they are repairing a spot where the road slipped away and there is one of those one-lane road temporary stoplights that is interminably red. Just before that I drove over some large gravel  from the construction and one fo the front tires just popped. 

At least I provided some entertainment for those ####ers who sat there at the light and watched me change the tire. No good deed goes unpunished. Jerks.
What kind of cheapskate district won't even spring for real MacBooks?  

Went to whole foods tonight.  Not my normal grocery store. Didn't see ministry of pain, as far as i know.  But i did see the woman two in front of me buy a dozen big purple potato shaped things, sans plastic bag, and the cashier was treating them like a glass menage, meticulously picking them up, inspecting them and placing them gently in a reusable shopping bag whose worn out look is probably a statement in the hoi paloi crowd like a thread bare testaverde rookie jersey is among the less fortunate.  This was the Express line, 15 items or less, and she easily had 14 items and 12 purple puds.  But luckily another cashier comes by and opens a second register for the woman directly in front of me who puts two items on the belt, followed by another unwrapped purple potato thing. And again the cashier inspects it and checks her out. So i ask her what these things are and she says oh I'm obsessed with them these are Japanese yams. They're sweet and just a different texture and i put them with everything even my oatmeal.  And i was like what but on the inside because on the outside i said oh that's amazing i never would have thought about that. So i asked the first woman hey are you two together and she said no why and i said because she's getting those same things and she said oh Japanese yams i know these are so good and it was like two middle aged white squirrels just found the only two acorns in a pile of gravel as they took turns twittering about their yams and how they've been telling everyone about them.  And then the first one said i probably sound like i work for them and the second one said ha like I'm a Japanese and then she couldn't finish the sentence and before it could get awkward i said Yambassadors and then i just looked away like it was no big deal before the chicken heads could give me their math but i could see the dad behind me was like you win today sir and if i had a mic i would have dropped it but instead I'm here so smash that like button for yambassador and don't forget to subscribe. 

Every year there’s at least one kid...

After just 3 days he’s already identified himself.

We’ll call him Sean.

Today he was wearing a Khalil Mack jersey.  A Raider jersey.  Yesterday it was a Marshawn Lynch Raider jersey.

Also today...

I give all my kids a 3x5 index card.   On the card they are to write their first and last name.  I also tell them that if they want to be called something besides their given name they are to put that on the card too.

”If your name is Nicholas Jones but you want to be called ‘Nick’, put that under your name.”

On the board I had an example.  

I wrote “James Bond” and under it “Jim”.

Sean wrote “James Bond”.
Today the kids were issued workbooks.  Every kid had to grab one and then use a Sharpie to write their initials and their special 3-digit number on the bottom of the book.  

The 3-digit number is simply the class period they’re in and where they fall alphabetically on the roll sheet.

So if Adam Anderson was in my 1st period his number would be 101.  Mitch Zykowski would be 134.

Sean got his initials right.  But he put “218” as his number.  He’s in 7th period.  I also don’t have a class 2nd period.

Although I don’t have much room to talk.  

I had the kids write their initials and numbers on the workbooks because they’re keeping them in a cupboard the classroom instead of taking them home.  I wanted to make sure they can easily identify their book easily among the 30+ other books on the same shelf.

Here is where I had them write their initials and number https://images.app.goo.gl/PqWoS7s9oJffD25p9

It took me half the day to realize that these are workbooks.

And they will be tearing 3-4 pages out every week or so.

I figure that by Thanksgiving the books will be thinned out enough so that what ever is written on the bottom will be almost illegible.

I have some small file folder labels on order to put on the spines.

kevzilla said:
Totally calling dibs on the Purple Puds band name.
I totally know a guy whose wife bought some really expensive vibrating [rooster]-ring.  Like it is rechargeable, waterproof, and has 10 different modes/speeds.  

The wife absolutely loves it.

But if the male partner does not use the perfect amount of lube and/or if his “tire pressure” varies in any way...the apparatus can pinch/bind.

One morning, after a wildly drunken night of marital hijinx, my friend looked down and noticed come rather scary bruising on his tallywacker.  It looked like a Canadian sunset.  

The more you know ≈≈≈≈≈★

Rustoleum said:

Oh you’ll like this.

After 14 years we finally adopt new History textbooks.  Seriously.  The last time we adopted new texts all of the supplemental stuff was on CD-ROM.   The publisher might have had a MySpace.

Of course all of the cool stuff that comes with our texts is online.

Our district Curriculum Coordinator sucks.  Not only did we not get the books until the day before school started (even though we told her exactly what we needed in May) she didn’t tell Tech about the adoption until about a week ago.

Us: Hey, Tech dept.  How do we give our kids access to all the cool online stuff McGruff is giving us?

Tech: lol wat

Us: Like do we use...

Tech: You guys got new books/curriculum?  Really?

Us: Uh.....yeah

Tech: Interesting.  Let us talk to Chardonnay [not really her name but close enough]

Us: wtf

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to rethink this.  I described it poorly.  It’s not a vacation.  It’s business; getting in and out in a few days just to keep the streak alive.  Lots of great ideas for legitimate places, but I don’t care what’s there or what I do.  That’s reserved for real vacation.

Damn, though, I need to add Finland to my real vacation list.
I would not do Finland in that case. Just my opinion, but if it's just over a weekend, it should be a city destination, not a place you have to leave the city to appreciate.

I can highly recommend Edinburgh for the food scene. https://edinburgh.org/things-to-do/food-and-drink/fine-dining/

Yes, there are many trips in the countryside that is a must in Scotland, but for a weekend (especially fall/winter), hitting:

That's a slice of heaven to me.

ETA: Menus

ETA2: Also have Number One and Restaurant Martin Wishart if you are looking for more Stars. I haven't been to either of those.

I would not do Finland in that case. Just my opinion, but if it's just over a weekend, it should be a city destination, not a place you have to leave the city to appreciate.

I can highly recommend Edinburgh for the food scene. https://edinburgh.org/things-to-do/food-and-drink/fine-dining/

Yes, there are many trips in the countryside that is a must in Scotland, but for a weekend (especially fall/winter), hitting:

That's a slice of heaven to me.

ETA: Menus

ETA2: Also have Number One and Restaurant Martin Wishart if you are looking for more Stars. I haven't been to either of those.
This might seal it. Thank you.

Uruk-Hai said:
Review and set list, please
I can't really help you with the set list. It was blast, though.

This is allegedly the "Farewell Tour" for George. He's 78,  the band now contains generations of his family, and he's leaving it to them. He sat on the drum riser occasionally while they played songs that were as close to metal as they were to funk. But they also played the songs everybody came to see, and with twenty people on stage at times, it was quite the spectacle.

The only drawback was three opening acts, which made it a five-hour experience on a weeknight. Fishbone was great, but I personally could have done without the other two. OTOH, my GB's son was working one of the bars, and we got some free beer out of the deal.

My alarm went off for 35 minutes this morning before it penetrated my skull.  :hangover:

This is allegedly the "Farewell Tour" for George. He's 78,  the band now contains generations of his family, and he's leaving it to them. He sat on the drum riser occasionally while they played songs that were as close to metal as they were to funk. But they also played the songs everybody came to see, and with twenty people on stage at times, it was quite the spectacle.

The only drawback was three opening acts, which made it a five-hour experience on a weeknight. Fishbone was great, but I personally could have done without the other two. OTOH, my GB's son was working one of the bars, and we got some free beer out of the deal.

My alarm went off for 35 minutes this morning before it penetrated my skull.  :hangover:
Sweet. I'm jealous. I saw them twice in the late '70s (back stage both times) and it was something to see.

Know if any other old-timers were on stage? 

Assuming it was this show

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/parliament-funkadelic/2019/heb-center-at-cedar-park-cedar-park-tx-239f2c77.html

I saw them locally last summer.  No opener IIRC, and a smallish venue.  Great show and glad I got to see him before he retired.

At the bar. It's karaoke night. I was not previously aware that I hated myself, but here we ####### are.

Users who are viewing this thread