What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (20 Viewers)

My sister and I were swapping emails about my mom - she's 85 and doing great.  Still drives (very well) but sometimes forgets conversations and repeats ...and often gets entrenched in particular thoughts and won't hear anything else.  

Mom:  "Why do all those people meet up in Iowa for a caucus?  What are they even doing?"

Sis:  "Mom, they're voting...it's their primary."

Mom:  "Oh, I don't think so..."

The other one my sister passed along ...

Mom:  "My little flip phone just doesn't get good reception any more.  I think my number is too old."

I'm now cooking for my own damn self but realized today that former Mr. krista took almost all the cooking utensils.  Can't blame him, really.  But I need to buy some #### and am not sure what is better to get - silicone or stainless steel?  @DA RAIDERS @cosjobs @anyonewhoknowsadamnthingaboutcooking

I'm now cooking for my own damn self but realized today that former Mr. krista took almost all the cooking utensils.  Can't blame him, really.  But I need to buy some #### and am not sure what is better to get - silicone or stainless steel?  @DA RAIDERS @cosjobs @anyonewhoknowsadamnthingaboutcooking
What type of pans are you cooking in? Stainless, cast, carbon, non-stick, aluminum?

They seem to be cast iron and stainless steel.
Then I would stick with mostly stainless and perhaps some wood utensils.  But get some good heavyweight silicon spatulas and spoonula thingies as well.  I use them mostly on non stick but they can also work well in stainless, especially for sauces. These rock:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWVRW3Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also love these things (not necessarily this brand) and use them for way more than stir-fry.  They're my go-to tool for caramelizing onions, browning ground meat, etc.

http://smile.amazon.com/Helens-Asian-Kitchen-97056-Spatula/dp/B000UF0L0E/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=stir+fry+scraper&qid=1593052435&s=home-garden&sr=1-1

Then I would stick with mostly stainless and perhaps some wood utensils.  But get some good heavyweight silicon spatulas and spoonula thingies as well.  I use them mostly on non stick but they can also work well in stainless, especially for sauces. These rock:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWVRW3Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also love these things (not necessarily this brand) and use them for way more than stir-fry.  They're my go-to tool for caramelizing onions, browning ground meat, etc.

http://smile.amazon.com/Helens-Asian-Kitchen-97056-Spatula/dp/B000UF0L0E/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=stir+fry+scraper&qid=1593052435&s=home-garden&sr=1-1
Fantastic - thank you!!  I ordered both of these plus some stainless steel spatulas.

First off, get yourself a commercial quality non-stick skillet. I probably do 80% of my cooking in one of these. They are so so much easier for a quick ,eal than dragging out the cast iron or cleaning the stainless. If you can handle Sam's club you can get a very decent 15" one for under $20. Whatever you get, make sure the\re is some heft to it, meaning a thick base (maybe with an aluminum disk inside) and a non-toxic non-stick coating. You will use this pan almost every day and never need to spend more than 45 seconds cleaning it, and that is you don't wash it from breakfast when you fix dinner.

I use a silicon spoon spatula for 80% of my cooking needs. About anything I throw in the skillet, I manage with this tool. MIne is different and I cannot find a link anywhere, but this looks functionally equivalent. 

Get a good silicon turner (as in pancake or burger flipper), a silicon spoon and a silicon slotted spoon. Also, for when you use other pots/pans, get regular and slotted large stainless spoons. Get several. They are cheap and handy. Again, Sams club is good source. Sams is much better for this stuff than Costco because they carry an affordable commercial line. Finally get a bunch of tongs, several of the with silicon on the end for your non-stick pan. Whiel you're there get a Dexter Chef, boning and paring knofe. Good, cheap and sharp. Reply, pm, email or call if you need clarification.

I see Ron gave great, but different advice. His probably performs better in may ways, but this setup will do almost as well with a fraction of the work involved.

First off, get yourself a commercial quality non-stick skillet. I probably do 80% of my cooking in one of these. They are so so much easier for a quick ,eal than dragging out the cast iron or cleaning the stainless. If you can handle Sam's club you can get a very decent 15" one for under $20. Whatever you get, make sure the\re is some heft to it, meaning a thick base (maybe with an aluminum disk inside) and a non-toxic non-stick coating. You will use this pan almost every day and never need to spend more than 45 seconds cleaning it, and that is you don't wash it from breakfast when you fix dinner.

I use a silicon spoon spatula for 80% of my cooking needs. About anything I throw in the skillet, I manage with this tool. MIne is different and I cannot find a link anywhere, but this looks functionally equivalent. 

Get a good silicon turner (as in pancake or burger flipper), a silicon spoon and a silicon slotted spoon. Also, for when you use other pots/pans, get regular and slotted large stainless spoons. Get several. They are cheap and handy. Again, Sams club is good source. Sams is much better for this stuff than Costco because they carry an affordable commercial line. Finally get a bunch of tongs, several of the with silicon on the end for your non-stick pan. Whiel you're there get a Dexter Chef, boning and paring knofe. Good, cheap and sharp. Reply, pm, email or call if you need clarification.

I see Ron gave great, but different advice. His probably performs better in may ways, but this setup will do almost as well with a fraction of the work involved.
Thanks, this is fantastic info.  I do seem to have a non-stick pan here, too, so I ordered a variety of stuff including the silicone as well.  I’m flush on tongs and good knives; apparently we had enough of those that they could be shared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, this is fantastic info.  I do seem to have a non-stick pan here, too, so I ordered a variety of stuff including the silicone as well.  I’m flush on tongs and good knives; apparently we had enough of those that they could be shared.
Oh yeah, a good set of bowls. Melamine looks cool but gets abnormally hot in the microwave. Stainless bowls are great, but you can't even put them in the microwave. And whisks. Metal is superior for whisking, but get a couple of silicon for when you need to whisk something in the non-stick skillet

Oh yeah, a good set of bowls. Melamine looks cool but gets abnormally hot in the microwave. Stainless bowls are great, but you can't even put them in the microwave. And whisks. Metal is superior for whisking, but get a couple of silicon for when you need to whisk something in the non-stick skillet
Thanks.  I seem to have a silicone whisk but will get stainless.

Seem still to have lots of bowls of various types.

This all arose when I decided to make my first meal today:  a crustless quiche with mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, and feta.  Turned out delicious!  But I had one silicone fork and whisk to use for everything.   :(  

@krista4  I’m more inline with cos.

We use non stick pan/s all the time.   Wood utensils work with these as well.  I don’t care for the silicone ones.  

We also use properly seasoned cast iron pans.  all the time. We use them on the grill, a lot.  Also, in the oven and on the stove top. For any number of things. We feel that the cast iron pans, impart more flavor.   :shrug:   Once seasoned properly, they’re a breeze to clean. 

We have a grip of, top of the line, stainless steel, copper bottom pans. Almost never use them. And we cook at home, all the time!  I have a pile of them in the garage that I want to give away. 

My mom likes to cook a lot. I dont. Only thing I remember her telling me about pans is that the cast iron spread the heat more evenly to what you're cooking- she swears by them. We swear by ordering in.

Only pan info that I've provided her was having one of those ridged grill pans, which she had never seen.

For whatever reason I have no luck properly seasoning cast iron.  I may need to try to re-season my pan or just give up and get a new one

i do like our good quality non-stick stuff, have a skillet and griddle from pampered chef.  I’m sure the purists will tell me they suck but have had no issues with them

We use non stick pan/s all the time.   Wood utensils work with these as well.  I don’t care for the silicone ones.  
we used wood forever. then "upgraded" to silicone and i'll be ####ed if these silicone ones aren't garbage.  they warp. they melt. they flake/peel/pill. 

wood tends to splinter over a long time, but it's also cheaper to replace.

we used wood forever. then "upgraded" to silicone and i'll be ####ed if these silicone ones aren't garbage.  they warp. they melt. they flake/peel/pill. 

I use both, but wood for higher heat. They’re generally cheaper too. 

For whatever reason I have no luck properly seasoning cast iron.  I may need to try to re-season my pan or just give up and get a new one

i do like our good quality non-stick stuff, have a skillet and griddle from pampered chef.  I’m sure the purists will tell me they suck but have had no issues with them
I’ve bought a few different sizes of these lately

https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Pioneer-Woman-Frontier-Speckle-12-Inch-Everyday-Pan-Turquoise/280141029

They’re affordable and good quality imo

You're trying too hard.

Fry up some bacon

Don't quite wipe it all out with a paper towel. Put it away. Next time you use it, wipe out any remaining oil before use.   Keep doing that whenever you cook in it.

They must make some ####ty ones, but the ones I bough six years ago are still working as well as day one. I bought four. but only have three now because I gave one away.  I guess like most things, there are levels of quality. 

The ones I bought were a light blue, spoon shaped. A name I was familiar with, but I know some pretty obscure kitchen ####. I think they were Europen, maybe Germany or some Nordic country. They were about $15 a pop when I discovered them. I  googled tf out of the description and got nada.

What do you do when your wife makes a peach cobbler in it
eat the cobbler.

Then

wash with warm water and maybe a tiny bit of soap if you need to, one of those curly stainless steel pad are great for removing crusted on stuff. Just don't go too aggressively and remove your seasoning. If its bad at all, I'll soak it first. Towel dry. If it no longer "looks" seasoned because you washed it too aggressively, add a T of oil and wipe it around and leave a bit and put it away.

Thanks.  I seem to have a silicone whisk but will get stainless.

Seem still to have lots of bowls of various types.

This all arose when I decided to make my first meal today:  a crustless quiche with mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, and feta.  Turned out delicious!  But I had one silicone fork and whisk to use for everything.   :(  
Still looking for the silicon spoon spatula I have. I'm starting to think it was Nordic Ware, but cannot find on their site. They have some good looking ones, but with wooden handles. Also YOU MUST HAVE AT LEAST ONE OF THESE, esp. if you are liek me and do almost all prep on a cutting board. Not only scrapes the board clean, quick & easy, it also help move product from the board to the pan.

the inside glass on our oven door is cracked which I guess is bad.  Replacement glass looks like $100-$200

its at least 15 years old so I told the wife we can just get a new range.  Currently white but she wants to switch to stainless, but now she’s trying to get me to replace a perfectly fine microwave too “so they’ll match”

the inside glass on our oven door is cracked which I guess is bad.  Replacement glass looks like $100-$200

its at least 15 years old so I told the wife we can just get a new range.  Currently white but she wants to switch to stainless, but now she’s trying to get me to replace a perfectly fine microwave too “so they’ll match”
you just poured oil on the side of a sheer cliff and she's leaning in to you from behind

before you know it you're redoing the cabinets and putting in a new driveway

Yesterday there was a violent but short lived storm here.  It rained so hard and was so windy for about an hour, now my windows are noticeably cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread