Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I just saw two bears in my back yard and I'm quitting my job tomorrow. There's no causation there, just trying to be efficient.

If you’re want to stop them from coming back just put an end zone in front of them

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 87k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Officer Pete Malloy

    5008

  • General Malaise

    4491

  • El Floppo

    4227

  • kevzilla

    3100

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moo.

HELLO FROM REHAB!!!!   Not sure if anything's been shared but Sunday dinner at my parents' a couple weeks ago was in fact an elaborate ruse to stage an intervention.  Actually it wasn't very

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dan Lambskin said:

If you’re want to stop them from coming back just put an end zone in front of them

I was going to make the opposite joke, something about putting an endzone in his backyard to help them out since we need it.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a group kid and family get together over the weekend (governors island, outdoors with masks) which was nice. One of the moms is a Broadway costume designer (tony winner) who said broadway isn't likely coming back for years. That news combined with Dune movie release pushed back a full year was a major gut punch for me, an awareness that we're nowhere near out of this thing. Been feeling pretty down and out since.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2020 at 8:09 AM, Uruk-Hai said:

I just saw two bears in my back yard and I'm quitting my job tomorrow. There's no causation there, just trying to be efficient.

my parents have a regular visitor, that is a bear.  in Arcadia!  a suburb of LA, right next to pasadena.  damn bear swims in their pool, naps under the trees.  it's unreal.  big ####er too!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

my parents have a regular visitor, that is a bear.  in Arcadia!  a suburb of LA, right next to pasadena.  damn bear swims in their pool, naps under the trees.  it's unreal.  big ####er too!

does he eat from their pic-a-nic basket :yogi:  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Didn't even consider that option

There was also that time a few years ago when I gave myself a concussion and a partially dislocated jaw from sleep walking.  Fun times.  Waking up with my feet on my pillows was much more pleasant than a concussion as far as strange sleeping things.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Had a group kid and family get together over the weekend (governors island, outdoors with masks) which was nice. One of the moms is a Broadway costume designer (tony winner) who said broadway isn't likely coming back for years. That news combined with Dune movie release pushed back a full year was a major gut punch for me, an awareness that we're nowhere near out of this thing. Been feeling pretty down and out since.

I've been trying not to focus on stuff like this but rather appreciate things we do have and can do.  I'm absolutely giddy we have playoff baseball.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, shuke said:

I've been trying not to focus on stuff like this but rather appreciate things we do have and can do.  I'm absolutely giddy we have playoff baseball.

Kids are partially back in school and happy, fall weather is fan-frwaking-tastic, and pro soccer is getting played all over the planet... I hear you.

I tend to be an in the moment, optimistic pessimist. Have felt like we'll be turning the corner on this thing soon...spring. Something about those two entertainment factoids hit me where it hurts for some reason. And always an undercurrent of financial worry that rose to more to the surface this last jobless stretch. Current gig is project based and will take me to the new year, but not likely after it. Hearing the theater/movie news scares the #### out of me for work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we'll have vaccines we can trust in the spring, they'll be widely available by summer, and by next fall, I think we can talk about Broadway and other indoor gatherings. There's lot of different ways this can break in the meantime, though.

Limiting existential dread is tough, but I have recently come to the position that all sentient life destroys itself eventually, all over the universe. Given that, I have become considerably less fixated on how (or when) we're going to do it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw something that started as a rare site, but would have been a very welcome site if I had a car - 2 open spots on the street next to each other.  It's usually impossible to find just 1 decent sized spot here and there, let alone a double-sized spot like that.  However, it quickly deteriorated into something that was painful to watch.  A woman in her Honda Accord tried to parallel park into these spots.  It should have been the easiest parallel parking effort ever since it was a double-sized parking spot, but she had to back into it and then go out and back into it again 4 times until she either wasn't on the sidewalk or wasn't 2 feet into the street.  I haven't seen anything like that in many years.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I joined my local Eagles club in February, but it was closed due to pandemic until recently.   Since it reopened I've been there 2-3 times a week.   I wish I'd joined 15 years ago.   Cheap drinks, good food, and tons of gambling opportunities.   Won $50 on squares last night for Thursday night football.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, -fish- said:

I joined my local Eagles club in February, but it was closed due to pandemic until recently.   Since it reopened I've been there 2-3 times a week.   I wish I'd joined 15 years ago.   Cheap drinks, good food, and tons of gambling opportunities.   Won $50 on squares last night for Thursday night football.  

these kinds of places are huge in the Midwest (at least around Ohio/Western PA where I lived) - I joined the Moose club because a friend I worked with belonged - great home-cooked food, cheap beer and drinks (heavy pour too).  Great NYE parties.  

Had friends who grew up with ethnic clubs - Polish/Slav/Hungarian, right in their neighborhoods ...talk about great, cheap food - these places were fantastic.  

Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Apparently there’s a new game in our house called “What’s Burning?”  It’s where my wife creates fire hazards with Halloween decorations and then I have to guess where that burning smell is coming from

who's winning?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, facook said:

:shock:  My bp is about 200/150 watching that.  Also pooping my pants.  I can't even imagine.

Yeah, that would have been terrifying. Of course I had several things running through my head while watching:

-Ok, it’s clearly a momma and her primary goal seems to be scaring the guy away from her cubs

-Sure, but why is she scaring him THAT far away from her cubs!?

-Please don’t turn and run (triggers the predator instinct in big cats)

-Throw some rocks dummy!

-WHY ARE YOU FILMING THIS INSTEAD OF PREPARING TO FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE!?

-Easy for me to criticize sitting here on my couch watching a guy get stalked by a mountain lion

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GroveDiesel said:

Yeah, that would have been terrifying. Of course I had several things running through my head while watching:

-Ok, it’s clearly a momma and her primary goal seems to be scaring the guy away from her cubs

-Sure, but why is she scaring him THAT far away from her cubs!?

-Please don’t turn and run (triggers the predator instinct in big cats)

-Throw some rocks dummy!

-WHY ARE YOU FILMING THIS INSTEAD OF PREPARING TO FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE!?

-Easy for me to criticize sitting here on my couch watching a guy get stalked by a mountain lion

The rocks...definitely the rocks.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GroveDiesel said:

-Throw some rocks dummy!

Yeah. This was my thought too. He’s walking backwards past an arsenal of projectiles to use, but recording the video is potentially more important than his life. 

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Yeah. This was my thought too. He’s walking backwards past an arsenal of projectiles to use, but recording the video is potentially more important than his life. 

The only thing I can think is that he was worried that crouching down to pickup rocks would a) make him look smaller and trigger the cougar attacking and/or b) put him at a tactical advantage unable to fight back if he crouched down.

He was probably wise not to throw rocks while still close to the cubs, but I think it would have been worth the risk later.

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

OMG that was way closer than I imagined and when it would sprint at him. 🤯

Whats the pro tip for when that happens to us, throw rocks, try to scare it some how? He got lucky at the end, wow. 

I believe the tactic for bears is to act like the predator, arms raised high and yelling loudly, and not running.  Not sure if that is the same for cats.  I sure as hell would have been throwing some rocks.  

Not sure what scared it away at the end, did the guy rustle some leaves or end up picking up a rock?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shuke said:

I believe the tactic for bears is to act like the predator, arms raised high and yelling loudly, and not running.  Not sure if that is the same for cats.  I sure as hell would have been throwing some rocks.  

Not sure what scared it away at the end, did the guy rustle some leaves or end up picking up a rock?

Never turn your back on a big cat, but back away. Make yourself big and loud. Throw stuff at them to make them think you’re not worth it.

In this case the cat’s bluff charges are really more about scaring the guy away from its cubs than about trying to kill the guy. But make the wrong move and the cat may have changed its mind.

The guy probably should have been way louder and chucked some rocks. Otherwise he was pretty much doing the right thing (though not sure filming it was the brightest).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, shuke said:

I believe the tactic for bears is to act like the predator, arms raised high and yelling loudly, and not running.  Not sure if that is the same for cats.  I sure as hell would have been throwing some rocks.  

Not sure what scared it away at the end, did the guy rustle some leaves or end up picking up a rock?

saw this guy interviewed on the news this morning.. he said he finally threw a rock and that spooked the cat off.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Heading to DC next weekend. Taking the wife to some wineries south of Winchester. She’s had a rough couple of weeks and I wanted to blow my United Airlines credit so win win. 

Which wineries are you hitting?

Let me know if you want to catch lunch one day. I'm kinda-sorta unemployed now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Which wineries are you hitting?

Let me know if you want to catch lunch one day. I'm kinda-sorta unemployed now.

No wineries in mind yet, but I’m open to  suggestions. I’ll hit you up when we get to town.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, -fish- said:

If my brother can pull off rescheduling a hearing so he can quarantine for 14 days in Hawaii when he gets back, I may be headed to game 3 of the World Series.

my in-laws on maui have quarantined.  it's a joke.  as residents, no one checks on them or anything.  :shrug: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

my in-laws on maui have quarantined.  it's a joke.  as residents, no one checks on them or anything.  :shrug: 

I'm not sure how they track it, but last time my brother traveled to the mainland when he returned he was contacted by the court and they said he couldn't enter any state or federal building for 14 days.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

my in-laws on maui have quarantined.  it's a joke.  as residents, no one checks on them or anything.  :shrug: 

im in quarantine now 
day 11 of 14 
The girl and I each had to fill out a form detailing our quarantine plans and hand them into customs when we arrived back into Canada.
When we got back to Vancouver , she had a family emergency to deal with so i continued on with the original quarantine plan ( a condo at big white ski hill)  and she went her own way to deal with her problem.
2 days ago she got a call asking on how she was feeling and if she was in quarantine , she replied she was and was feeling good and that was it. 
I havent been checked on yet 
   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...