What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (14 Viewers)

It should have never come to a public vote. Council adopted a stupid policy to benefit the cab companies. The public overwhelmingly brought a petition forward to overturn the action, then city staff twisted the language of the petition when they put it on the ballot, to benefit the cab companies. Then, the city's biggest business organization sat on the sidelines during the election to benefit the cab companies. Uber shot itself in the foot with the money they spent, but this was a victory for taxi cabs, not for the citizen or tourist that wants choice when getting around town safely.
Exactly.  This has nothing to do with citizens wanting fingerprinting. It was Steve what's his name that owns the biggest local cab company calling in favors to stop a competitor from eating his lunch. #### him and the #######s that sat back and let it happen. 

LOL.

When my twins were young, about 30% would ask if they were identical. We had a boy and a girl  :whoosh:
:lmao:  My boys are almost exactly 2 years apart.  While they do look like brothers they are in no way identical.

When the oldest was 4 and the youngest was 2 I had someone ask me if they were twins.  This happened twice.  Both kids were the average size for their age group as well.

The second time it happened was at the grocery store.  The 4 year old was walking with me while the 2 year old sat in the cart. Some woman said "your boys are so cute...are they twins?"  I pointed to the younger one and said "yeah, we just don't feed that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in this city, read the papers, listened at city hall, and voted in the election. How do you think the self interest of the taxi lobby was greater than the self interest of UBER? 
are Uber and Lyft required to take the added security measures Austin required in any other US market they serve?

are Uber and Lyft required to take the added security measures Austin required in any other US market they serve?
I know San Antonio tried and so did others, I do not know their success rate.

Are you saying a city should not regulate livery services within the municipality? Because they've done that since stagecoaches and trollies. In fact, preventing them from such regulation is the precedent here. 

I had no idea Bentley and CD were so fervent in their objection. I really did not know which way to vote and researched the #### out of it. Yes the local cab co. did everything in its power to protect itself. Do y'all hate SW Airlines for killing highspeed rail in Texas for four decades to protect their interests? And that's just one, there are hundreds of thousands of examples in our capitalistic system. Frankly I do not approve of the conduct, but for you guys to get your panties in such a bunch, especially after having supporting pro-business side economics in Texas since at least college, well its befuddling to me.

I want Uber here. And old business models can die for all I care. 

But I strenuously object to corporations trying to buy a local election  to change my city code.

I hate all the players in this fight, actually.

Hey man, I'm pro free market as always. If you want a regulated ride service with background checks, take a cab. I'm willing to forego that for a cheaper price and better service. If Southwest got a high speed rail program that could survive on its own shut down, that would be a problem. 

I use Southwest all time the though because they get me where I want to be when I expect to be there at a fair price. Pretty much the opposite of taking a taxi.

I don't really care. I just hate cab companies.
The taxi business around here sucks.  The city is so spread out that we've never had the demand that more populated cities have.  When you do need a cab (outside of the shady areas of town) it takes forever for them to arrive.

Uber/Lyft are a godsend.

Roverkid's former babysitter is a cheerleader for Oregon.  Apparently a cameraman has noticed how hot she is, because she's gotten a considerable amount of airtime.

tl;dr:  don't read this dreck. pass over it. i just need to put it on paper before i do something rash at work.

only because this guy is currently wandering from cube to cube running his comedy act this morning and i'm about to stab him in the neck with a paper clip

imagine if you can a scenario similar to the one i'm about to lay out occurring every. single. day. not just at your desk but at the desk's of just about every single person in your entire office. only your office space is small enough that you can hear these scenarios play out loud and clear every... 30 minutes... and they go on for anywhere from 10-30 minutes at a time.

as has been well chronicled here and elsewhere i'm fairly sure my entire work life is being played on a television in Singapore.. or Japan.. something. it's the only explanation for the variety of weirdo's that work here. 

there's a guy here who laughs at every single thing he says. as he's talking. in meetings, when discussing the death of a family member, while detailing a work procedure, etc. everything. all the time. he says it's a nervous tick. but it's not just a chuckle. it's uproarious belly laughter. he runs out of breath. he laughtalks, making much of what he says unintelligible.

he has a penchant for creating wildly imaginary scenarios.. usually built off the back of some movie scene that already played out but sometimes wholly original creations. 

case in point: Pack v Vikings this week. Pack down to 3 corners. only have 2 defensive linemen that aren't rookies. how will they stop Peterson. offense is creaky and the Vikings defense is really really good.. how will they score. we can talk about a lot of things when the topic of the Packers comes up. lots.

instead i get: "CAN YOU IMAGINE! CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT IT'S GOING TO BE LIKE IN MINNESOTA THIS WEEKEND! IN A NEW STADIUM! THOSE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO GO CRAZY!! CAN YOU IMAGINE IF RODGERS RAN UP TO THAT HORN AND, LIKE, THREW DYNAMITE INSIDE OF IT TO BLOW IT UP SO THEY STOP PLAYING IT????? CAN YOU IMAGINE????? THOSE PEOPLE WOULD RIOT!! BUT WHAT IF REGGIE WHITE PARACHUTED IN FROM THE TOP OF THE STADIUM!! CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT??!??!? IF HE LIKE FLEW IN AND LANDED ON THE 50 AND FOUGHT OFF ALL THE PEOPLE TRYING TO KILL THE PACKERS!!!! CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT???? THAT CITY WOULD RIOT! THEY'D TEAR DOWN THAT NEW STADIUM!! CAN YOU IMAGINE!??? THEN THEY'D HAVE TO MOVE THE FRANCHISE TO LAS VEGAS!! CAN YOU IMAGINE?????!!!?!"

now you have to picture this guy leaning in about 3" from your face, laughing, roaring loud enough for the entire office to hear.. pacing, hopping, dancing, waving his hands like an out of control puppet and my favorite... the capper....constantly grabbing his crotch between hand waving motions. constantly. like he's trying to discretely jerk off because he gets off on telling these weird fantastical scenarios.

when not creating these wild imaginary scenarios, he's trying to relate everything to a scene from a movie. or replying to questions with one-liners from 80s films. 

"hey (guy), do you have a copy of that report (our boss) mentioned in today's meeting?"

"the TPS report? like in Office Space! you remember that scene, right??? the one where they're talking about TPS reports!! YOU REMEMBER THAT DON'T YOU!!?!???!"

all while bellowing a nervous laugh, gesticulating and patting you on the back/shoulder/poking his fingers at your face.

it's so overwhelming, like nazi shock troops in Poland, that there's no time to react or respond. any attempt to talk is interrupted by him SHOUTING over the top of of you. try to walk away.. he follows.  on the phone? he doesn't care.  i once got up, shoved him with two hands away from my chair because he was 6" from my face yelling a story at me while i was on the phone with a client and told him to shut the #### up (after hitting the mute button) so that i could work.... that held him at bay for a few hours. 

he's a nice enough guy. smart. capable. just.... jesus.

i realize i'm a bad person for caring, being annoyed and much worse.. telling the world about it but.... holy ####. i need to vent.
Oh man that's rough. 

But seriously, can you imagine if all that stuff happened?  I mean, really...  can you imagine?

i would like to add that during a recent in-person client meeting with about 50 people in the room... we all got introduced individually and said a little something about our experience and role, etc. this is a very button down business, people tend to be pretty personally conservative and staid. especially the client executives in the room at the time.

when his turn came he did some ridiculous dance from Dumb and Dumber, yukked like an idiot cartoon character and threw in a couple yee-haw's. 

i've never been more ashamed and embarrassed to be witness to something as i was in that moment
"Capable."

Glad to hear STL isn't the only dysfunctional city with Uber issues. Strong taxi commission presence here too.  We FINALLY got Uber Black at least but not regular Uber.  It's ####### ridiculous.  The paper likes to print anything and everything they can find that's negative about Uber too.  

A cab from the bar in my old hood to my house, $125 without a tip.  Uber Black, $55. Oh and it was a Cadillac Escalade driven by a  hot Blasian.  

This stupid city. 

Voting on it also beyond stupid.  So if McDonald's doesn't want any other hamburger places in town, they can bring that to the ballot? 

Edited to try and be somewhat coherent. I blame the drugs and alcohol. 
I blame the drugs and alcohol, too...but my edits tend to make everything less coherent, if that's even possible...

I know San Antonio tried and so did others, I do not know their success rate.

Are you saying a city should not regulate livery services within the municipality? Because they've done that since stagecoaches and trollies. In fact, preventing them from such regulation is the precedent here. 

I had no idea Bentley and CD were so fervent in their objection. I really did not know which way to vote and researched the #### out of it. Yes the local cab co. did everything in its power to protect itself. Do y'all hate SW Airlines for killing highspeed rail in Texas for four decades to protect their interests? And that's just one, there are hundreds of thousands of examples in our capitalistic system. Frankly I do not approve of the conduct, but for you guys to get your panties in such a bunch, especially after having supporting pro-business side economics in Texas since at least college, well its befuddling to me.

I want Uber here. And old business models can die for all I care. 

But I strenuously object to corporations trying to buy a local election  to change my city code.

I hate all the players in this fight, actually.
Agree completely that uber did a crummy job in the buildup.  Most of the people I know were annoyed by all the robocalls and whatnot.  

And yes, i do hate Southwest Airlines for trying to kill light rail. 

Im not sure I understand how livery laws work, but I can give you $5 to drive me to Penthouse and you don't have to be regulated. And honestly, I trust the technology behind crowd-platforms like uber and instacart to solve problems much more than I trust the Austin city council.  But that's because im a nerd.  

Nike sells a golf ball called "Mojo". its slogan is "extremely long & white".

i #### you negative

Last edited by a moderator:
Some guy on a local reddit was talking about his hobby of riding and collecting penny farthings.  I asked him if he happened to have a handlebar mustache and he replied "No, but I know the guy you're talking about."

Not sure if I'm the one getting played here. 
I bought a pair of cycling socks from a company called Handlebar Mustache today. The first time I stopped at a light, the lady cycling next to me complimented me on them and immediately identified the brand. Apparently, that's a thing we really know a lot about in Austin.

I live in this city, read the papers, listened at city hall, and voted in the election. How do you think the self interest of the taxi lobby was greater than the self interest of UBER? 
The taxi biz is a scam to the consumer that the city uses for graft.

Uber doesn't allow the city the same type of graft, so they banned it

Users who are viewing this thread