What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frank Gore - still in the NFL at 65. (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Coach Chuck Pagano made it clear at the NFL owners' meetings that the Colts envision Frank Gore as a workhorse and every-down back.

He'll take on full-time running back duties ahead of Dan Herron, Vick Ballard, and Zurlon Tipton. Even at 32, the Colts think Gore can be a high-volume bellcow. "Some guys are like that. Carry 1-20, theyre OK. And 20-30, they keep getting better as you wear defenses down. And I think Frank is that type of runner," said Pagano. "Hes a tough, hard-nosed, every-down back. He can play all three downs. Hes a great protector in pass pro. He catches the ball out of the backfield. We all know what he can do as a runner on early downs. He loves football."

Source: CSN Bay Area

Mar 24 - 3:21 PM
Herron will be a great compliment back to keep Gore fresh imo.

Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington

Gore says he’s played against 8- and 9-man fronts his whole career: “With these weapons and Luck, I think it should be a light box.” …Scary.

Frank Gore: “I’ve never seen a six-man front. Hopefully, this year it happens. And hopefully, I can take advantage of it."

One more Gore note: Luck said Gore has seen things in practice (“He reads the body tilt of the safety”) that Luck hasn’t noticed in 3 years.

Not surprising (that last quote about Gore). I remember reading years ago that Gore is basically a football savant. His knowledge is off the charts, and coaches would actually consult him on scheme changes, etc. because he just understood everything about every players responsibilities on any given play, in any game situation.

Rotoworld:

Frank Gore ran against eight or more defenders in the box a league-high 76 times last season.

Defenses understandably had zero respect for Colin Kaepernick and the 49ers' pass game. Gore's move to Andrew Luck means he'll be operating against six- and seven-man boxes a majority of the time, and he also projects to be used as a receiver far more. No back in the league (outside of perhaps C.J. Spiller) will benefit more than Gore from a change in scenery.

Source: Scott Kacsmar on Twitter
Jun 18 - 11:13 AM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Frank Gore ran against eight or more defenders in the box a league-high 76 times last season.

Defenses understandably had zero respect for Colin Kaepernick and the 49ers' pass game. Gore's move to Andrew Luck means he'll be operating against six- and seven-man boxes a majority of the time, and he also projects to be used as a receiver far more. No back in the league (outside of perhaps C.J. Spiller) will benefit more than Gore from a change in scenery.

I'm torn on Gore. He's lost at least a 1/2 step but being on Indy it may not matter that much.

Not surprising (that last quote about Gore). I remember reading years ago that Gore is basically a football savant. His knowledge is off the charts, and coaches would actually consult him on scheme changes, etc. because he just understood everything about every players responsibilities on any given play, in any game situation.
Also, all the Miami RBs who played with Gore - Portis, McGahee to name a couple - said Gore was the best RB by far. His 2 knee injuries affected his college production unfortunately. That being said, Im avoiding the 32 year old RB like the plague!

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

I'm torn on Gore. He's lost at least a 1/2 step but being on Indy it may not matter that much.
To reiterate and support what I posted earlier (in this thread or another, can't remember which), IND has been very good running the football in recent memory. All the things Rotorworld added as commentary would have held true the past three years in Indianapolis. All their other backs would have benefitted from fewer men in the box, a top flight passing game, playing at least half their games on turf indoors, etc. Except all those huge advantages did nothingto spark the Colts ground attack.

I looked at the rushing numbers only for running backs across the three years Luck has been in the league. Based on the accumulated rushing numbers for those three seasons, the Colts ranked 25th in RB rushing attempts, 26th in rushing yards, and 27th in ypc. That my friends, is essentially three lemons as far as statistics go.

Maybe the addition of Johnson and Dorsett will help open things up. Maybe Gore is different than the guys that were there before him. But the issue has been the OL, and I am not sure the Colts really upgrade the line all that much.

Here were the Top 5 in each category:

RB Rushing Attempts: HOU, NEP, DEN, SEA, NYJ

RB Rushing Yards: NEP, MIN, HOU, SEA, DEN

RB YPC: MIN, PHI, KCC, SEA, DAL

Here were the Bottom 5 in each category:

RB Rushing Attempts: JAC, OAK, ATL, MIA, TEN

RB Rushing Yards: JAC, ARI, ATL, OAK, CLE

RB YPC: ARI, CLE, JAC, SDC, ATL

Gore could still have a decent year if he stays healthy, gets a ton of work, catches a lot of balls out of the backfield, and gets a decent amount of TD. However, most of his production, I'm afraid, will have to come from excessive usage . . . not efficiency. That may be a tall order to ask of a 32 year old RB who has had multiple knee surgeries and has already had almost 2,600 regular and post season carries.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

yeah, me too, but have a feeling this is a situation where he might put together one last monster season. The situation is just so good and he's going to get into tons of short yardage TD spots.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

To reiterate and support what I posted earlier (in this thread or another, can't remember which), IND has been very good running the football in recent memory. All the things Rotorworld added as commentary would have held true the past three years in Indianapolis. All their other backs would have benefitted from fewer men in the box, a top flight passing game, playing at least half their games on turf indoors, etc. Except all those huge advantages did nothingto spark the Colts ground attack.I looked at the rushing numbers only for running backs across the three years Luck has been in the league. Based on the accumulated rushing numbers for those three seasons, the Colts ranked 25th in RB rushing attempts, 26th in rushing yards, and 27th in ypc. That my friends, is essentially three lemons as far as statistics go.

Maybe the addition of Johnson and Dorsett will help open things up. Maybe Gore is different than the guys that were there before him. But the issue has been the OL, and I am not sure the Colts really upgrade the line all that much.

Gore could still have a decent year if he stays healthy, gets a ton of work, catches a lot of balls out of the backfield, and gets a decent amount of TD. However, most of his production, I'm afraid, will have to come from excessive usage . . . not efficiency. That may be a tall order to ask of a 32 year old RB who has had multiple knee surgeries and has already had almost 2,600 regular and post season carries.
2012 : Donald Brown, Mewelde Moore, Vick Ballard

2013: Ahmad Bradshaw, Trent Richardson, Donald Brown

2014: Ahmad Bradshaw, Trent Richardson, Dan Herron

And to be fair Bradshaw always finds himself banged up

The Patriots led the league in RB rushing yards over the past three years and did so with Ridley, Blount, Vereen, Bolden, Gray, and Woodhead. Several of those guys were retreads or cast offs. If a team can run block, the pedigree of the RB doesn't matter as much, especially if the defense is playing more DBs and off the line. Yet the Colts have not done well running the ball. It's not a new phenomenon. They didn't run very well for years even with Peyton.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

To reiterate and support what I posted earlier (in this thread or another, can't remember which), IND has been very good running the football in recent memory. All the things Rotorworld added as commentary would have held true the past three years in Indianapolis. All their other backs would have benefitted from fewer men in the box, a top flight passing game, playing at least half their games on turf indoors, etc. Except all those huge advantages did nothingto spark the Colts ground attack.

I looked at the rushing numbers only for running backs across the three years Luck has been in the league. Based on the accumulated rushing numbers for those three seasons, the Colts ranked 25th in RB rushing attempts, 26th in rushing yards, and 27th in ypc. That my friends, is essentially three lemons as far as statistics go.

Totally agree here. The issue is the O-line. And right now it's in shambles. As a Colts fan, I listen to talk radio all the time and the beat writers lay it out nicely. Cherilus is injured and they are trying guys out at right Tackle. Trying guys out??? Left side of the line is solid and that's what helps the Colts excel in the passing game. Gore will likely catch 50-60 balls which will help, but as far as seeing 1200 rushing yards, I just don't see it. It doesn't matter how many (of few) are in the box if you can't get past your own linemen.

Edit for spelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still think that you guys are overblowing the lack of quality on the Colts o-line. The last two years, they've actually been pretty darn effective running the ball, except when Trent Richardson was the guy taking the handoff -- 357 carries for 1664 yards (4.6 YPC) for non-Richardson RBs over the last two years. While I'd agree that Gore isn't going to magically return to his 2006 5.4 YPC heyday, I don't think that he's too likely to fall anywhere near the Trent Richardson sub-3.1 level, either. I expect his efficiency stats to fall somewhere in the league average 4.0 - 4.5 range per carry and not be too big a deal either way.

Yes, Richardson performed poorly, but we have no idea what would have happened in someone else had those carries instead. Here were the ypc numbers for all Colts RBs with at least 100 carries over the past 5 seasons:

Bradshaw 4.66

Brown 4.43

Addai 3.97

Ballard 3.92

Carter 3.75

Richardson 3.06

There were 130 RBs with at least 100 total rushing attempts in that timeframe (2010-2014). Their collective ypc was 4.22. People can decide on their own if IND has been good, bad, or indifferent running the football. Gore had a 4.32 ypc average.

Still think that you guys are overblowing the lack of quality on the Colts o-line. The last two years, they've actually been pretty darn effective running the ball, except when Trent Richardson was the guy taking the handoff -- 357 carries for 1664 yards (4.6 YPC) for non-Richardson RBs over the last two years. While I'd agree that Gore isn't going to magically return to his 2006 5.4 YPC heyday, I don't think that he's too likely to fall anywhere near the Trent Richardson sub-3.1 level, either. I expect his efficiency stats to fall somewhere in the league average 4.0 - 4.5 range per carry and not be too big a deal either way.
PFF ranked the Colts 15th in run blocking last season. That is the entire offensive unit, but obviously the OL is the main component. They ranked 26th in pass blocking, but that doesn't seem to be the subject of discussion here.

Yes, Richardson performed poorly, but we have no idea what would have happened in someone else had those carries instead. Here were the ypc numbers for all Colts RBs with at least 100 carries over the past 5 seasons:

Bradshaw 4.66

Brown 4.43

Addai 3.97

Ballard 3.92

Carter 3.75

Richardson 3.06

There were 130 RBs with at least 100 total rushing attempts in that timeframe (2010-2014). Their collective ypc was 4.22. People can decide on their own if IND has been good, bad, or indifferent running the football. Gore had a 4.32 ypc average.
Not sure that we're really disagreeing at all here. I'd be fine with a 4.22 average per projection for Gore. You keep bringing up how bad the Colts' ground attack has been historically -- my main point has been that the last two years under Pep Hamilton are far more relevant than are the Manning years. Also, I end up watching quite a bit of Colts football by default despite not being a fan due to where I live -- the bulk stats truly don't tell the story that well here. The line has been an average run blocking unit at worst the past two years. I don't see it as a big factor that will either help or hinder Gore this year relative to "the average NFL RB." Indy isn't Dallas, certainly, but neither are they Jacksonville. Gore isn't going to have 250 -- 800 or something. His efficiency metrics will likely be pretty average among NFL RBs, and his fantasy value will depend on the workload that he can handle, his usage in the passing game, and Indy's red zone play calling.

PFF ranked the Colts 15th in run blocking last season. That is the entire offensive unit, but obviously the OL is the main component. They ranked 26th in pass blocking, but that doesn't seem to be the subject of discussion here.
That matches fairly well with what I've seen watching them actually. Middle of the road.

Anarchy99 said:

Bradshaw 4.66

Brown 4.43

Addai 3.97

Ballard 3.92

Carter 3.75

Richardson 3.06

I know you stopped at 100 carries but...

Dan Herron

83 carries, 384 yards = 4.62

It's the Colts. They had no runners and Andrew Luck slinging the ball. Defenses used nickels and dimes as base D's against them.

Seriously, ask for your money back from PFF.

Does anyone remember what Ahmad Bradshaw did in this offense the last couple years when healthy? I see similar production from Gore.

For those that buy into the numbers, there have been 35 times when a RB started a season at 32 or older and with 2,400 or more career carries. Gore is at both those milestones and currently has an ADP of RB15 in expert leagues (according to FBG).

The guys on the list include many HOFers, icons, and legends of the game, so the names really aren't that important.

Of the 35 occurrences where a RB started a season at least 32 years old with at least 2,400 carries, only 3 times did a RB rank in the Top 15 (5th, 7th, and 15th). The two Top 10's belonged to Walter Payton and John Riggins.) Seven times a RB ranked in the Top 20. The average ranking of all 35 player seasons was RB 44.

Just food for thought. People can consider or ignore based on personal preference.

Anarchy99 said:
For those that buy into the numbers, there have been 35 times when a RB started a season at 32 or older and with 2,400 or more career carries. Gore is at both those milestones and currently has an ADP of RB15 in expert leagues (according to FBG).

The guys on the list include many HOFers, icons, and legends of the game, so the names really aren't that important.

Of the 35 occurrences where a RB started a season at least 32 years old with at least 2,400 carries, only 3 times did a RB rank in the Top 15 (5th, 7th, and 15th). The two Top 10's belonged to Walter Payton and John Riggins.) Seven times a RB ranked in the Top 20. The average ranking of all 35 player seasons was RB 44.

Just food for thought. People can consider or ignore based on personal preference.
How many were starters?

It seems like every re-draft mock I do I have to choose between Gore and Gordon

Gore’s age scares me but Gordon’s inexperience scares me as well

Who is Gore’s primary back up in Indy and what is that guys ADP?

Dan Herron. Although some expect rookie Josh Robinson to claim it eventually.

For redraft purposes, Gore has no really suitable handcuff option, imo.

Dan Herron. Although some expect rookie Josh Robinson to claim it eventually.

For redraft purposes, Gore has no really suitable handcuff option, imo.
Just to add to this, Gore is a Swiss Army knife. If he goes down, the remaining backs are all pretty incomplete, but with somewhat complementary skills, and would with virtual certainty wind up in some sort of committee.

Gores age scares me but Gordons inexperience scares me as well

Who is Gores primary back up in Indy and what is that guys ADP?
Dan Herron. Although some expect rookie Josh Robinson to claim it eventually.For redraft purposes, Gore has no really suitable handcuff option, imo.
Vick Ballard is a posibility... I'm hearing some good reports from camp on the local sports shows.

Gores age scares me but Gordons inexperience scares me as well

Who is Gores primary back up in Indy and what is that guys ADP?
Dan Herron. Although some expect rookie Josh Robinson to claim it eventually.For redraft purposes, Gore has no really suitable handcuff option, imo.
Vick Ballard is a posibility... I'm hearing some good reports from camp on the local sports shows.
Ballard was limited before the injury. Herron would slot ahead of him imo. i want to see Robinson though.

Gore is a no brainer there IMO. The RB in that Indy offense is a jackpot.

That's for sure. I was swimming in $100 bills from the FF money Trent Richardson got me last year. ;-)

That's for sure. I was swimming in $100 bills from the FF money Trent Richardson got me last year. ;-)
Wrong guy. Gore's better than Bradshaw, and Bradshaw was a top five fantasy back while he was healthy.

I’m not sure Gore, who is good for an automatic 1,000 yards virtually every season, will go for that number again, not with a pass-first offense. Plus, I’m guessing the Colts will be smart and limit his touches, give Boom Herron, Vick Ballard and rookie Josh Robinson their opportunities to run. But 750-900? Sure.
Agreed here.

I’m not sure Gore, who is good for an automatic 1,000 yards virtually every season, will go for that number again, not with a pass-first offense. Plus, I’m guessing the Colts will be smart and limit his touches, give Boom Herron, Vick Ballard and rookie Josh Robinson their opportunities to run. But 750-900? Sure.
Agreed here.
How many TDs will he get is the big question. There is room for a lot.

how does he just drop the ball like that? I can't remember ever seeing that before, especially from a vet like him.

Users who are viewing this thread