What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mathews to EAGLES / UPDATE He's OUT, now he's IN again (1 Viewer)

Ron_Mexico

I Love Doggies
Eagles agreed to terms with RB Ryan Mathews on a three-year, $11.5 million contract with $5 million guaranteed.
Your 2015 Eagles feature back (assuming they don't sign DeMarco Murray). In his pursuit of an inside-zone power runner,

Chip Kelly set his sights on Mathews after whiffing on Mark Ingram and Frank Gore. Although brittle his entire football career,

27-year-old Mathews has averaged 4.40 YPC through five seasons and has the ability to wear down a defense.

Like Mathews did in San Diego, he figures to focus on early-down ball carrying with Philadelphia,

while Darren Sproles enters in most passing sets. Mathews carries obvious health risks,

but will offer mid-range RB1 fantasy upside in the Eagles' high-volume, up-tempo rushing attack

Mar 11 - 2:00 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updating a previous report, free agent RB Ryan Mathews has not signed his contract with the Eagles.
With the Eagles now courting DeMarco Murray, Mathews may back out on his $11.5 million deal.
Murray would dominate carries in Philadelphia, making Mathews a backup with a very limited role.
He's certainly aiming to land somewhere he can at least be part of a two-man timeshare. That wouldn't be Philly.

Mar 12 - 9:21 AM
Source: Geoff Mosher on Twitter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eagles signed RB Ryan Mathews, formerly of the Chargers, to a three-year, $11.5 million contract.
It's a deeply bizarre move for a team that just unloaded LeSean McCoy's odious contract before giving
DeMarco Murray $18 million fully guaranteed. It could spell trouble for Darren Sproles' future in Philadelphia,
but it wouldn't be surprising if mad scientist Chip Kelly decides to go with a three-man backfield.
Where that leaves Mathews' role is up for debate. Murray is a far superior early-down runner,
while Sproles is the far superior pass catcher. It's possible Mathews is signing up for a Donald Brown-esque reserve role.
Murray and Mathews both have long injury histories, so perhaps Kelly is just paying a pretty penny to ensure he isn't caught short.
It's up for debate if Kelly's backfield is better off than it was two weeks ago.

Mar 12 - 4:43 PM
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Demarco, Mathews and Sproles

I like it for my team. Fantasy, the value is going to be week to week.

As a dynasty owner I have to hope and pray Murray doesn't arrive...

But he probably will.
ESPN just reported he called Kelly this morning and was apparently Sam Bradford's college room-mate.
Only thing Im holding on to is the Eagles have very little cap space left now, and many players left to sign.

(as of last night, cap space was apparently 12-13m left)

Obviously bringing Murray into the equation would be a huge mess fantasy wise

for both he and Mathews. I find it hard to believe the Philly would throw that much more money at the RB position. But after that whack Chipster trade yesterday, I guess anything is possible

He just said today he didn't want to tie up money on McCoy. Why would it end up being Murray instead? If he pays him $8/year doesn't that put him back at square one with a Matthews/Murray combo? I feel like the Matthews decision would come with the mindset of: "ok, were not going after Murray then" but stranger things have happened. Especially under Chip Kelly.

This is huge for Mathews if he is the lead back.

Signing Murray wouldnt even really make sense for Philly right now.

I don't understand most of the posts in here.

(Murray+Mathews)>>>McCoy for roughly the same $

PHI wants to run the ball 450+ times and does anyone want to guess how many rushes Mathews averages a year? At this point in his career Sproles shouldn't be counted on for even 50 carries.

I don't understand most of the posts in here.

(Murray+Mathews)>>>McCoy for roughly the same $

PHI wants to run the ball 450+ times and does anyone want to guess how many rushes Mathews averages a year? At this point in his career Sproles shouldn't be counted on for even 50 carries.
I believe Chip's plan is to draft a RB. Doesn't make sense to let one high priced RB go to sign another. I agree Mathews isn't the answer but he gave them a cheap vet RB.

Updating a previous report, free agent RB Ryan Mathews has not signed his contract with the Eagles.

With the Eagles now courting DeMarco Murray, Mathews may back out on his $11.5 million deal. Murray would dominate carries in Philadelphia, making Mathews a backup with a very limited role. He's certainly aiming to land somewhere he can at least be part of a two-man timeshare. That wouldn't be Philly.

As a Matthews owner I hope one of the two doesn't sign there. Obviously Matthews would be the biggest loser in that scenario but it couldn't bode well for Murray's volume of touches either.

As a Matthews owner I hope one of the two doesn't sign there. Obviously Matthews would be the biggest loser in that scenario but it couldn't bode well for Murray's volume of touches either.
It seems Mathews may be thinking that. Probably why he would back out if he wanted more potential carries.

So much for Mathews in Philly...

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent DeMarco Murray is traveling to Philadelphia "with the expectation he will be an Eagle."

Murray will give the Cowboys a chance to rebut, but unless their offer blows him away, you're looking at the next running back for the Philadelphia Eagles. Suddenly, the Sam Bradford trade makes sense. Murray and Bradford are close from their Oklahoma days (they were college roommates) where they played a spread option system similar to the one Chip Kelly wants to run in Philadelphia. It's worth noting that Ryan Mathews has yet to sign his deal with Philadelphia. It would be interesting to see if he pulls a Frank Gore and skips town now that Murray is likely to be the featured back. The Murray sweepstakes has taken the Cowboys/Eagles rivalry to new heights.

With the Eagles now courting DeMarco Murray, Mathews may back out on his $11.5 million deal.
Murray would dominate carries in Philadelphia, making Mathews a backup with a very limited role.
He's certainly aiming to land somewhere he can at least be part of a two-man timeshare. That wouldn't be Philly.

Mar 12 - 9:21 AM Source: Geoff Mosher on Twitter

so crazy...two different deals Gore/Matthews where guys backed out...I can't remember one and we have two with the same team in a couple days. crazy.

Best case scenario for the Eagles if we get DeMarco.

Certainly don't need to be paying Ryan Glass Matthews if he's around.

Best case scenario for the Eagles if we get DeMarco.

Certainly don't need to be paying Ryan Glass Matthews if he's around.
Prior last season Murray had the same sort of injury history. He didn't even escape last year without injury, just played through it. All RB's usually deal with some sort of injuries. It's one of the many reasons they've become devalued and rotated.

:lmao:

Mathews backing out? Um, no.
Chip to Mathews: "Wait, wut? What are you doing here? I never called you yesterday. Must've been Howie, that silly prankster."

Mathews: "Efffff."

Leaves.

Chip closes door. *contract goes into shredder*

Sorry, I believe in bad omen's...

Stiffing Mathews and signing Murray just feels like it'll backfire. Somehow.

Best case at this point would be Zona I think.
Cowboys would be obvious best choice
Or Oakland. If he wants most money, will choose Oakland. If wants to win, will choose Dallas.

Mathews is a better fit with Dallas' blocking scheme than Spiller, who has been linked to Dallas.

If Dallas doesn't bring Mathews in for a visit, then they must be confident that they can get AP from Minnesota.

Best case at this point would be Zona I think.
Cowboys would be obvious best choice
Or Oakland. If he wants most money, will choose Oakland. If wants to win, will choose Dallas.

Mathews is a better fit with Dallas' blocking scheme than Spiller, who has been linked to Dallas.

If Dallas doesn't bring Mathews in for a visit, then they must be confident that they can get AP from Minnesota.
Ugh. Oakland would not be pretty. As for Dallas, do they have the cap space to get Peterson? Here is his contract:

9/10/2011: Signed a seven-year, $96 million contract. The deal contains $36 million guaranteed, $32 million of which is guaranteed for skill and the other $4 million for injury. Another $4 million is available through escalators. An annual $250,000 workout bonus is available throughout the life of the deal. 2015: $12.75 million, 2016: $14.75 million, 2017: $16.75 million, 2018: Free Agent

Just a quick update:

With every illogical thing hat has occurred his past week, I say Mathews decides to stay and we have a 1-2 thunder and lightning punch that's going for a combined 550 carries.

With every illogical thing hat has occurred his past week, I say Mathews decides to stay and we have a 1-2 thunder and lightning punch that's going for a combined 550 carries.
I could see that, but I guess it depends on what other opportunities might be available to him.

Users who are viewing this thread