What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frank Gore - still in the NFL at 65. (1 Viewer)

Eagles draft Gurley or Jay in round 2 and Gore plays mentor.
How is anyone not seeing this as the likely outcome/purpose here? Gore and Sproles split the work, groom the incumbent drafted RB. All at a fraction of the Shady price.

:shrug: ?
I look at it totally the opposite way -- how can anyone think they're going to draft a high profile RB now? This is not ff when you need a stallion RB -- if anything Kelly devalues the RB position according to ex-Eagles OL Herremans ("I think he values the quarterback position in his offense the most. Quarterback and offensive line. I think other than that, I think that he feels like he can kind of, you know, the system will take care of it.").

They felt they needed extra RB depth and Gore's style and experience made him ideal -- nothing else to see here. With as much as they need help at other positions I'd be shocked if they drafted a RB in the top 2 rounds (or top 4 rounds if they move picks for MM). Again. how can anyone think they're going to draft a high profile RB? This isn't ff.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is anyone not seeing this as the likely outcome/purpose here? Gore and Sproles split the work, groom the incumbent drafted RB. All at a fraction of the Shady price.

I look at it totally the opposite way -- how can anyone think they're going to draft a high profile RB now? This is not ff when you need a stallion RB -- if anything Kelly devalues the RB position according to ex-Eagles OL Herremans ("I think he values the quarterback position in his offense the most. Quarterback and offensive line. I think other than that, I think that he feels like he can kind of, you know, the system will take care of it.").

They felt they needed extra RB depth and Gore's style and experience made him ideal -- nothing else to see here. With as much as they need help at other positions I'd be shocked if they drafted a RB in the top 2 rounds (or top 4 rounds if they move picks for MM). Again. how can anyone think they're going to draft a high profile RB? This isn't ff.
I agree. It looks to me like they are continuing to do what they can to set up for Mariota. Clear room by moving one of the biggest RB contracts in the league. Bring in seasoned RB who is going to be great at pass protection. If they do land Mariota it'll cost whatever picks they might have otherwise had available for a high value RB in the draft. If they can't trade up to get Mariota then it's plan B but I think they still are shooting for that.

He inherited a team built by competent NFL minds
lol, ok

they had the most lopsided roster in the league paying waaaaaaay to much to offense and the cupboard were bare on defense.

andy went on to head up this godawful chiefs team that jamaal charles is dragging into looking like a real team.

gurley won't be there in round 2, and ajayi isn't ready to be the guy year one and also wont be there in the late second.

i was really hoping for ameeh abdullah. vastly underrated and would be spectacular behind this line.

with the chatter about interest in a foles for kaepernick trade i can see gore/kaep's good mesh point rapport being productive behind this great oline, but it's going to be an overpay on both counts

Gore dynasty owners, this offseason leading up to the draft is your last good chance to move him for decent value. I thought the time had already passed, but Chip bailed you out. Don't blow it. Find that guy in your league who thinks Gore in Philly has BIG YEAR written all over it.
I don't think his trade value in dynasty has really spiked to anything more than a mid 2nd. As a Gore owner in a couple of places, I'm more likely to hold onto him, hope for some RB2 or 3 production, and take a another swing at a championship rather than ship him off for a low percentage lotto pick with little chance of production. Now if someone offers me a 1st or very early 2nd, I probably bite since I have some depth at RB, but I still don't think anyone will do that due to age concerns. But you are right, if someone is just looking to freshen up a roster without concern for real production, now is the time.

Its not at a fraction of Shady price. Ingram was had at a fraction of Shady price.
We haven't seen the contract yet, but it's certainly going to be much less than McCoy- some might even say, a fraction.

Will be funny to see how many Eagles fans that were down on McCoy because of his age will like this move.
You guys are paying shady $16m over the next year. So far we got Gore and Alonso for about 1/3 of that and half of what it was before. Would have to see who else we get with another $5m but hard not to think it makes sense.
Will look great by the numbers until the mid-late part of November when Gore can't sustain during the most important part of the season.

Even as a casual watcher of the Niners, it was easy to see that they have been pacing him for about two years now.
This could prove prescient late in the 2015 season.

Will be funny to see how many Eagles fans that were down on McCoy because of his age will like this move.
I don't think anyone was down on McCoy because of his age. People were down on him because of his ridiculous contract...so much so that had someone not been dumb enough to take him, he would have been cut.

With all the talk of Mariota needing time to learn how to be a QB in the NFL mold (learning progressions, taking the ball under center, etc), would the Eagles make moves such as picking up Gore if they were going to trade for a QB who might need a couple years to come up to speed?

With all the talk of Mariota needing time to learn how to be a QB in the NFL mold (learning progressions, taking the ball under center, etc), would the Eagles make moves such as picking up Gore if they were going to trade for a QB who might need a couple years to come up to speed?
MM won't need a couple of years to get up to speed in Chip's offense. That's the reason he's more valuable to the Eagles than any other team.

When he tosses up a solid 1300/12 TDs this year, some of you gonna have some serious egg on your faces.

Gore isn't yet close to done.
Didn't he run for over 300 yards in the 2 games to end the season?

I got Gore as a throw in with a situation like this in mind. Happy to ride him like I rode the cheap pair FJax and Stewie last year.

Soulfly3 said:
When he tosses up a solid 1300/12 TDs this year, some of you gonna have some serious egg on your faces.

I think if he got half of that it would be about my expectation. I dont have a horse in this race - just casual observer. You expect those kind of numbers at age 32? Would probably be the best season ever for a RB that age. Additionally, this is a 3 year deal with a 32 year old RB with the first 2 years guaranteed at a pretty high number.

Eventually, every RB gets old, no matter how great of a warrior they were. Usually its before age 32.

Soulfly3 said:

I think if he got half of that it would be about my expectation. I dont have a horse in this race - just casual observer. You expect those kind of numbers at age 32? Would probably be the best season ever for a RB that age. Additionally, this is a 3 year deal with a 32 year old RB with the first 2 years guaranteed at a pretty high number.Eventually, every RB gets old, no matter how great of a warrior they were. Usually its before age 32.
Not only that but the declin is usually very abrupt.

Bruce Hammond said:
Gore dynasty owners, this offseason leading up to the draft is your last good chance to move him for decent value. I thought the time had already passed, but Chip bailed you out. Don't blow it. Find that guy in your league who thinks Gore in Philly has BIG YEAR written all over it.
The thing about Gore is that we've been hearing this every year since, literally, 2010. Eventually it will be correct, but every year for almost half a decade the smart move has been to buy Gore at cheap prices. Further, we're now to a point where even when it finally does end up backfiring it will be at such a minimal cost that it doesn't really matter. I can't imagine Gore is going for more than a mid/late 2nd at this point.

Soulfly3 said:

I think if he got half of that it would be about my expectation. I dont have a horse in this race - just casual observer. You expect those kind of numbers at age 32? Would probably be the best season ever for a RB that age. Additionally, this is a 3 year deal with a 32 year old RB with the first 2 years guaranteed at a pretty high number.

Eventually, every RB gets old, no matter how great of a warrior they were. Usually its before age 32.
I do.

Gore is not a run of the mill type RB... He's literally a mule. Power, grace and straight up dedication...

Yes, he will fall off eventually... But I dont see it happening this year or next. He's got plenty in the tank on a high flying offense that suits his style of running.. oh, and that run block in PHI... WOOF!

guy has super vision on the field... and in my eyes, a very strong contender for HOF... May not get it, but he's definitely close to deserving it.

Just think he breaks some molds this season

grateful zed said:
this reminds me of the NE signing correy dillon at the end of his career.

ck = bb?
No. This is more like when New England signed a 32 year old Fred Taylor than when New England signed a 29 year old Corey Dillon.

Soulfly3 said:

I think if he got half of that it would be about my expectation. I dont have a horse in this race - just casual observer. You expect those kind of numbers at age 32? Would probably be the best season ever for a RB that age. Additionally, this is a 3 year deal with a 32 year old RB with the first 2 years guaranteed at a pretty high number.Eventually, every RB gets old, no matter how great of a warrior they were. Usually its before age 32.
I do.

Gore is not a run of the mill type RB... He's literally a mule. Power, grace and straight up dedication...

Yes, he will fall off eventually... But I dont see it happening this year or next. He's got plenty in the tank on a high flying offense that suits his style of running.. oh, and that run block in PHI... WOOF!

guy has super vision on the field... and in my eyes, a very strong contender for HOF... May not get it, but he's definitely close to deserving it.

Gore isn't close to HOF worthy. :lmao:

Soulfly3 said:

I do.

Bettis opened the door for run of the mill RB's who play a long time getting in, so Gore getting in isn't that ridiculous.

Soulfly3 said:

I do.

Bettis opened the door for run of the mill RB's who play a long time getting in, so Gore getting in isn't that ridiculous.
bingo.

and what is so far fetched about ihm being in the convo? I made it pretty clear he is by no means a shoe-in.. and may never get in... but he definitely deserves to be mentioned as a possiblity

Soulfly3 said:

I do.

Probably true. He is a better player than Bettis ever was but unfortunately for him he never had a cool nickname or play for the squealers.

He isn't going to play... As Stephen A Smith so eloquently pointed out, Chip is a racist. Lets shut this one down fellas.

I think a reasonable expectation would be to see decreased totals due to usage but I think his effectiveness should stay on par. He averages 4.5 ypc for his career with 4.7, 4.1 & 4.3 in the last 3 years. If he gets 200 carries, that's still 900 yards. So if he gets in the 210-225 range for carries (a low only reached in 05, & 10 his rookie and injury years), he should still reach that 1000 yd plateau. His TD totals were down last year during the trainwreck season but he had been averaging 7 a season pretty consistently except for 05 & 10 again.

Its reasonable with how Kelly wants the offense to run that he can get 1000 yds and 7 TDs again. That's RB3, low end RB2 nowadays but still productive.

Gore is only 3000 yards behind Curtis Martin and has a relatively low number of carries for his age (2442). Think he could play for a few more seasons and pass Martin to end up 4th all-time in yards (750 carries @ 4 YPC). Like Martin it would be tough to keep him out of the HOF if he does that.

Soulfly3 said:

I do.

bingo.

and what is so far fetched about ihm being in the convo? I made it pretty clear he is by no means a shoe-in.. and may never get in... but he definitely deserves to be mentioned as a possiblity
Bettis was 1st team All Pro twice. Gore has never been 1st team All Pro. There is a more to it than that, but that is a good shorthand for why Bettis's resume was better.

Anyone else think the Eagles will end up with a cash hoard and a ton of cap space after not landing their wish list? I feel like this could be the reason for the back out, Gore navigating around what he might perceive as a :tfp: and running to Luck and a shot at a playoff run.

Soulfly3 said:

I do.

Bettis was famous and Gore isn't.

Gore also has finished in the top 5 in rushing yardage only once, and never in the top 5 in TDs. His resume isn't anywhere close to Bettis'. Not to mention Bettis still has 2500 yards and 25+ TDs over Gore.

Surprised this hasn't happened more often. Settle on a deal, shake on it, then another team counters once the terms are revealed. Frank's gotta go back in the tank and think about it.

Gore is only 3000 yards behind Curtis Martin and has a relatively low number of carries for his age (2442). Think he could play for a few more seasons and pass Martin to end up 4th all-time in yards (750 carries @ 4 YPC). Like Martin it would be tough to keep him out of the HOF if he does that.
"Only" 3000 yards?

Also "only" three top-2 annual finishes in rushing yardage behind Martin (that is, 3 to zero), and three top-5 finishes in rushing TDs (that is, 3 to zero). Gore has been a fine RB but comparing his accomplishments to Martin's is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread