What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

California will be out of water in one year (1 Viewer)

Some of these farmers have longstanding water rights. If the price gets high enough they will likely just sell their water to Southern California municipalities.
I don't know about municipalities but it's already been happening between northern and southern farmers for a couple years. Land in the north is left fallow because the water is more valuable than the crop. Monsanto and ConAgra are the two biggest buyers in the south.

Alfalfa hay requires even more water, about 15 percent of the state’s supply. About 70 percent of alfalfa grown in California is used in dairies, and a good portion of the rest is exported to land-poor Asian countries like Japan. Yep, that’s right: In the middle of a drought, farmers are shipping fresh hay across the Pacific Ocean. The water that’s locked up in exported hay amounts to about 100 billion gallons per year—enough to supply 1 million families with drinking water for a year.
Those are good links. :thumbup:

Sent me down the alfalfa rabbit hole for a couple hours last night and another couple hours this morning. I changed my mind on the topic. Very little of the huge Southern California low desert alfalfa crop could be put to better use. All of the water is coming from the Colorado River via the All American Canal per water rights negotiated long ago. Unbelievable how cheap that water is. If they don't use the water it's going to Mexico where the lack of irrigation infrastructure would dump it in the Sea of Cortez. Unlike some Northern California water, there's no economical way to divert that water to the desperate central valley growers. Bizarre as it seems, over-irrigating intensely thirsty alfalfa bound for Asia in a hot arid desert in the midst of the worst drought in centuries is the right thing to do. :shrug:

Alfalfa hay requires even more water, about 15 percent of the state’s supply. About 70 percent of alfalfa grown in California is used in dairies, and a good portion of the rest is exported to land-poor Asian countries like Japan. Yep, that’s right: In the middle of a drought, farmers are shipping fresh hay across the Pacific Ocean. The water that’s locked up in exported hay amounts to about 100 billion gallons per year—enough to supply 1 million families with drinking water for a year.
Those are good links. :thumbup:

Sent me down the alfalfa rabbit hole for a couple hours last night and another couple hours this morning. I changed my mind on the topic. Very little of the huge Southern California low desert alfalfa crop could be put to better use. All of the water is coming from the Colorado River via the All American Canal per water rights negotiated long ago. Unbelievable how cheap that water is. If they don't use the water it's going to Mexico where the lack of irrigation infrastructure would dump it in the Sea of Cortez. Unlike some Northern California water, there's no economical way to divert that water to the desperate central valley growers. Bizarre as it seems, over-irrigating intensely thirsty alfalfa bound for Asia in a hot arid desert in the midst of the worst drought in centuries is the right thing to do. :shrug:
Great information. Doing some more reading it looks like it can be diverted to San Diego:

The Imperial Irrigation District is managing the construction of the All-American Canal lining in cooperation with the Water Authority and the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. The project calls for approximately 23 miles of lined canal to be built next to the existing canal, saving 67,700 acre-feet per year. Of the conserved amount, 56,200 acre-feet will flow annually to the San Diego County Water Authority and the remaining 11,500 acre- feet will go to the San Luis Rey Indian Settlement Parties for the next 110 years. - See more at: http://www.sdcwa.org/all-american-canal-lining-project-proceed#sthash.EmbkZy8e.dpuf

The project is part of an agreement under which the Imperial Irrigation District, the canal's operator, grudgingly agreed to sell some of its mammoth share of the Colorado River to water-deprived San Diego County. The cost of the $300-million project was split between the state government and the San Diego County Water Authority.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a news story the other day about problems here in Minnesota with overuse of water, and that we're depleting our underground supply - which is where the vast majority of MN gets their water. So it's not just California who's dumb with their water usage. And don't forget about the fact that the Ogallala Aquifer is going to run dry at some point. Leaving a huge swath of farming country in the lurch having to rely solely on rain for their crops.
It's no different here in Utah. The lakes and reservoirs are at all-time lows and, combined with the lack of snow this winter, I'm pretty sure we're planning on drinking sand this summer.

But hey, everyone's got some pretty sweet looking bright green lawns out here in the middle of the desert!
It's like this everywhere in the West. The water levels for every dam, lake etc are at all-time lows.

Carlsbad isn't exactly hippy country and the environmental battle was "7 years of hell". I hope the other projects get approved, but no one's holding their breath. I linked to this project earlier in the thread and also a central valley desal project that I think is the "better" approach - using solar instead of reverse osmosis and agricultural drainage instead of the ocean. Reverse osmosis is a huge energy user. All of the above is probably the right answer. There's several huge "badwater" aquifers in the state. I suspect the environmental challenge of accessing them reduces years of court dates.

Carlsbad isn't exactly hippy country and the environmental battle was "7 years of hell". I hope the other projects get approved, but no one's holding their breath. I linked to this project earlier in the thread and also a central valley desal project that I think is the "better" approach - using solar instead of reverse osmosis and agricultural drainage instead of the ocean. Reverse osmosis is a huge energy user. All of the above is probably the right answer. There's several huge "badwater" aquifers in the state. I suspect the environmental challenge of accessing them reduces years of court dates.
The time has come for solar desalination. The Saudis are on board and working on building them around the country:

Saudis to build world’s first large scale solar powered desalination plant

By Giles Parkinson on 22 January 2015

Print Friendly

A Saudi Arabia company is to build the world’s first large-scale solar-powered water desalination plant, using solar PV to provide much of its power needs during daylight hours.

Advanced Water Technology, the commercial arm of the King Abdulaziz City of Science and Technology has commission Spanish renewable energy group Abengoa to incorporate the plant into the $130 million facility.

Abengoa will build the 15MW solar PV facility, with tracking, and expects it to provide all the desalination plant’s energy needs during peak output –which in Saudi Arabia will be for much of the daylight hours.

saudiThe plant, to supply Al Khafji City in the north-east of the country, will produce 60,000 cubic metres of water a day. It is due to be commissioned in 2017.

Desalination is a costly, energy intensive process that is usually powered by fossil fuel baseload plants – although many “offset” this power with green certificates (as in Australia). Carnegie Wave Energy is incorporating a desalination process in its first wave energy plant near Perth.

The International Renewable Energy Agency says that less than 1 per cent of the world’s desalination is powered by renewables, and most of these plants – in Cyprus, Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Turkey, Abu Dhabi and the Canary Islands – are very small scale.

Saudi Arabia currently burns 1.5 million barrels of oil per day at its desalination plants, which provides 50 per cent to 70 per cent of its drinking water. Total desalination demand in Saudi Arabia and neighbouring gulf countries and north Africa is expected to treble to 110 million cubic metres a day by 2030.

Abengoa said the incorporation of solar PV would be a “global pioneering project” and would significantly reduce the operating costs of the plant.

Saudi Arabia is looking to replace much of its domestic generation, based around highly polluting oil-fired generators and gas, with solar and nuclear. A leading Saudi company, ACWA Power, last week announced it would build a 200MW solar plant in Dubai for a cost of 5.84c/kWh, the world’s lowest price for large-scale solar.
The bolded is very impressive - less than 6 cents/kWh.

We scoff at the ignorance of Ethiopians when they or Somalis try to grow corn, or worse yet rice in their deserts yet we do the same.

In the middle of a severe drought, farmers are still planting new almonds trees - that won't produce a product until 2018.
Almond prices are at an all-time high. Up in the Kern County area (where Bakersfield is), plenty of undeveloped land is getting bought up by farmers planning to grow almonds.
Looking at this paper on the economics of almond growing there's a good profit if they can get 2300 lbs./acre at $2 lb. Sure it's profitable but replace Truffala with almonds and you've got California's version of The Lorax.

California governor orders 25 pct reduction in water usage statewide

California Governor Jerry Brown, acting as the state enters the fourth year of a record-breaking drought, on Wednesday ordered a mandatory 25 percent reduction in water usage for cities and towns.

Brown said the move, which comes as California reports its lowest snowpack levels on record and is a first of its kind in California, would save some 1.5 million acre-feet of water over the next nine months.

"We're standing on dry ground and we should be standing on five feet of snow," Brown, a Democrat, said in announcing the strict new measures.

He added: "This is rationing. We're just doing it through the different water districts."

Brown last week signed emergency legislation that fast-tracks over $1 billion in funding for drought relief and water infrastructure within the parched state.

The proposed legislation would appropriate more than $1 billion in voter-approved bond funds to speed up water projects and programs and provide aid to struggling California cities and communities.

The state is entering the fourth year of record-breaking drought that has prompted officials to sharply reduce water supplies to farmers and impose strict conservation measures statewide.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/california-governor-orders-25-pct-reduction-in-water-usage-statewide/ar-AAajM5D?ocid=UP97DHP

25% is a HUGE decrease. It'll be interesting to see how they cut usage by that much.

California governor orders 25 pct reduction in water usage statewide

California Governor Jerry Brown, acting as the state enters the fourth year of a record-breaking drought, on Wednesday ordered a mandatory 25 percent reduction in water usage for cities and towns.

Brown said the move, which comes as California reports its lowest snowpack levels on record and is a first of its kind in California, would save some 1.5 million acre-feet of water over the next nine months.

"We're standing on dry ground and we should be standing on five feet of snow," Brown, a Democrat, said in announcing the strict new measures.

He added: "This is rationing. We're just doing it through the different water districts."

Brown last week signed emergency legislation that fast-tracks over $1 billion in funding for drought relief and water infrastructure within the parched state.

The proposed legislation would appropriate more than $1 billion in voter-approved bond funds to speed up water projects and programs and provide aid to struggling California cities and communities.

The state is entering the fourth year of record-breaking drought that has prompted officials to sharply reduce water supplies to farmers and impose strict conservation measures statewide.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/california-governor-orders-25-pct-reduction-in-water-usage-statewide/ar-AAajM5D?ocid=UP97DHP

25% is a HUGE decrease. It'll be interesting to see how they cut usage by that much.
Typical statist reaction.

Get the State out of the water business.

I think that David Zetland and this podcast ep were referenced in an article in this thread: http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2015/03/david_zetland_o.html

It is pretty interesting. Discusses how different countries have dealt with water issues and that mandatory restrictions and regulations tend to lead to a less efficient use of water.
They need to focus on making the agriculture industry more efficient and streamlining the legal path for desalinization plants. Nickel and diming people for taking a long shower or trying to reduce how much water people drink at restaurants is moronic.

I think that David Zetland and this podcast ep were referenced in an article in this thread: http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2015/03/david_zetland_o.html

It is pretty interesting. Discusses how different countries have dealt with water issues and that mandatory restrictions and regulations tend to lead to a less efficient use of water.
Guest: And that's how we have to think about water. Some of it is very valuable, and we are willing to pay a lot for it. And then once we have a lot, we use it for all kinds of things that may be much lower values.

Russ: Yeah, like the 40th minute of this hour [?].

Guest: Exactly.

Just saw something that said the new water restrictions don't effect farms which account for 80% of all water usage in California. And they're going fine the citizens?? #### them.
I hope people don't put up with this tail wagging the dog BS. If someone is already using their water efficiently there is very little means at their disposal to cut water use by 25%.

Just saw something that said the new water restrictions don't effect farms which account for 80% of all water usage in California. And they're going fine the citizens?? #### them.
I hope people don't put up with this tail wagging the dog BS. If someone is already using their water efficiently there is very little means at their disposal to cut water use by 25%.
I'm already being as careful as I can about using water and find insulting that farms are not taking any responsibility. We're building these expensive desalination plants because farmers are using (wasting) so much water yet the cost to going to be spread to everyone.

i hate going to the bathroom and seeing someone else's piss sitting in the toilet. please dont do this. plenty of other ways to save water without resorting to being gross.

for the deleted post:

Define my state. I have lived in 9 states, including California, and 1 US territory. I am a native of the Conch Republic, who "seceded where others failed".

for the deleted post:

Define my state. I have lived in 9 states, including California, and 1 US territory. I am a native of the Conch Republic, who "seceded where others failed".
Florida. Key West to be exact. But you didn't actually secede any more than Peter Griffin did.

Users who are viewing this thread