Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Best Ball (MFL10s, DRAFT, etc.)

Borden

Done. OK, not officially over until the 28th, but I'll report in anyway.

50 teams
10 1st's
5 2nd's

2 winners had Bell, 2 Brown, 2 Freeman, 2 McCoy, 1 Julio, 1 Jordy, as 1st round picks.
More than  half of the winners were from drafts that started mid-May or earlier.

Very pleased with the season.

Hope everyone had a good ff season and a good Holiday Season! 

• Like 2

After playing in one MFL 10 last year, I entered six leagues this year.

2 - first place. (had Gurley, Bell, Hopkins, Agholor and one of Wilson, Brees, A Smith, or Newton at QB)  Drafted #2 and #3

1 - second place (Zeke suspension kept me from 1st place)  Drafted #3

1- third place (No idea how this team did this well) Drafted #6

1 - sixth place  Drafted #9

1 - eighth place  Drafted #8

The sixth place finish was drafted in early March. All other leagues were late May thru July. The draft position vs success is interesting.

• Like 1

Summary Time...

65x MFL10s:

12 first place.  5 second place. 8 third place.

3x MFL 25s:

0 first place.  0 second place.  1 third place.  I think I'll avoid these next year.

2x MFL 10x2s.

Both winners.  I think this is all I'll do next year!

8x MFL 25x2s.

6 winners.  1 loser.  1 Push.  Should have done more, apparently.

Additional notes:

My highest scoring team had Zeke, and doesn't look that amazing on paper.  Every player's up & down weeks just synced up nicely.

Lowest scoring team = 1683 pts.  Luck, Mariota, Perkins, Pryor, Snead...  Of course it was in a MFL25!

Hits - Kamara.  I had a lot of this guy.  Also had decent shares of Jamaal W., Burkhead, Robby Anderson, and old guys Fitzgerald & Witten.

Misses - Tannehill and Snead.  At least a dozen of each.  I figured Snead would post solid #'s.  Most of my shares were before the suspension was announced.  I figured he'd still do ok after.  I still have no idea why he wasn't at least a 50 reception WR.  I'd add Rawls and Joe & Jonathan Williams in the misses.  I had a decent amount of these guys, too, but it didn't really kill me as I usually drafted them later.

2 of my 2nd place teams were drafted early and had Tannehill.  Any other QB would have likely won the leagues for me.  I actually had a lot of Tannehill in my early drafts.  I had this thought that they were scheduled to play in London week 3 or 4 and they may have a early bye week, perhaps just Miami and New Orleans.  I figured my odds increased of avoiding 2 QBs on bye.  The schedule came out and they had a week 11 bye anyways.  Lesson learned.  Don't load up on 1 QB even trying to avoid byes.

I'd be even better off if the season ended after week 15.  A few teams fell apart late.  It could have been worse.  It could have ended after week 17 where more of my teams would crumble.

Nice overall result.  Many thanks to BroadwayG for his site.

Edited by jabarony
  • Like 1

Sounds like a lot of folks had a good season in this thread.

In the "official" MFL 10's I had a solid year as well.

1st place - 30%

2nd place - 10%

3rd place - 40%(frustrating)

7th place - 10%

12th place - 10%

Players I hit on: GURLEY, Sanu, Gore, Cook, Ingram, Marvin Jones

Players I missed on: Austin, Fleener, Martin, Snead, Bradford, Montgomery, Olsen

I actually had more fun in the other MFL draft-and-go leagues. In my two deep-idp leagues I limped through the season and finished in 2nd place after Rodgers went down. The difference between playing in truly deep leagues and your average MFL10 is like night and day. If you happen to have injuries you don't get completely submarined the way you do in an MFL10 with only a 20-man roster. Just having a healthy Gurley on my MFL10 rosters carried me into the top three in so many leagues.... kind of feels like a lot of luck when you only have a handful of starters and a relatively short bench.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brun said:

Well done @BoltBacker

My account balance was updated today. Love how promptly these guys pay out.

Agreed.

I hear a lot of people complain about MFL but honestly I've always had prompt payouts, the few times I've needed to use customer service they have been fast to reply, and I don't think the interface is nearly as bad as all the complaints you hear. The mobile experience is better than it once was. I don't really care if it ever looks like the media giants FF apps, just that it's legible and functional and to me they have already reached that point.

In fact I wish they would stop fussing around with the interface now that it's solid on mobile and focus on creating deeper contests(the service caters to the hardcore fans already). Oh, and I REALLY wish that they would start the 2018 season drafts the day after the SuperBowl. It just seems like they are leaving money on the table every year by waiting. 

Good luck next season brun!

On December 26, 2017 at 0:35 PM, jabarony said:

Summary Time...

65x MFL10s:

12 first place.  5 second place. 8 third place.

3x MFL 25s:

0 first place.  0 second place.  1 third place.  I think I'll avoid these next year.

2x MFL 10x2s.

Both winners.  I think this is all I'll do next year!

8x MFL 25x2s.

6 winners.  1 loser.  1 Push.  Should have done more, apparently.

Additional notes:

My highest scoring team had Zeke, and doesn't look that amazing on paper.  Every player's up & down weeks just synced up nicely.

Lowest scoring team = 1683 pts.  Luck, Mariota, Perkins, Pryor, Snead...  Of course it was in a MFL25!

Jabaroni, the 10X2s are we're you win double your money if you finish top 6 correct? These seem easy but also kind of a pain in the ####. That's a lot of time drafting. Say you do 30 teams for $300 and even if you win all of them you make $600. It's "low hanging fruit" for sure but I'm not sure I'd want to invest that much time....

1 hour ago, Kwai Chang Caine said:

Jabaroni, the 10X2s are we're you win double your money if you finish top 6 correct? These seem easy but also kind of a pain in the ####. That's a lot of time drafting. Say you do 30 teams for $300 and even if you win all of them you make $600. It's "low hanging fruit" for sure but I'm not sure I'd want to invest that much time....

Top 5 spots get 2x the $.  6th place gets entry fee back (credit).  MFL keeps 1 entry fee worth.  I think I only got 1st place in one of those 2x leagues, so it did seem worth it vs. a straight MFL10.  Then again, if I placed 1st in two of them, MFL10 would be the way to go (I think).  I believe I approached the 2x leagues only slightly differently than the normal leagues.  Something along the lines of taking Eifert in a MFL10, but not touching him in the 2x leagues.  That was only a handful of decisions over a dozen or so leagues, though.

As for investing time - throughout the summer I had 3 or 4 drafts active most of the time.  It didn't matter if it was MFL10 or 2x, I was drafting anyhow.  And I did more 25x2 than 10x2, so it was a bit more worth the effort.

• Like 1

My MFL10 results:

26 leagues entered (16x$10 and 10x$25)

1st x 4 (3 x $10 for $100 each and 1x$25 for $200)

2nd x 6 (2x $10 for free leagues next year and 4x$25 for $50)

Entry fees were $400 (one of the 10's was a credit from last year).  Winnings were $700 plus 2 free 10's for next year. 

These were all the "regular" MFL leagues.  If I had done them all as double ups, I would have done worse, $590 in winnings plus 1 free 10. 

Also had 4 teams (all 10's) finish 3rd, and 4 more in 4th.  So a bunch of the teams were competitive. 

Other random thoughts:

I had exactly Zero shares of Gurley, out of 26 teams.  Not on purpose necessarily, he just kept going higher than I wanted to pick him. 

1st place teams had draft picks #6, 6, 11 and 5.

2nd place money or credit teams had picks # 10,10, 12, 2, 10, and 8.

After the drafts I was lamenting the fact that I only had one #1 pick out of 26 leagues, but maybe that was a good thing!  I had 2 shares of David Johnson, as I got him with a #2 pick in one of the leagues. 

My highest scoring team was the very first draft I did, starting on 7/5/17.  2544 points and finished in 1st by 250+ points.  My worst team had 1966 points and I look at it now and wonder what in the world was I thinking :-)

12 MFL10 leagues.  Heading into week 15 I had two first place teams and three others in 2nd place.  Heading into week 16 i had one first and theee 2nd... see the trend?

Finished with two 2nd place teams and zero firsts.  10 of the 12 were 5th or better so the 50/50s sound good to me mext year, although looks like I'll only have 2 lineups ;)

MFL10s, 10 leagues. 1 Win.

Draft, 10 leagues ($10/League). 

12 Team Bestball (7), 2 - 1st ($50/1st), 1 - 4th ($10/4th).

3 Team Best Ball (3) 2 - 1st. ($27/win)

From a strategic view, Draft seems to be better than MFL. It’s live (which I prefer) and there isn’t as many sharks. I also think that a faster draft style would benefit us more because we are more prepared so we don’t get as thrown off during a live. 

12 hours ago, Forte Yard Dash said:

My highest scoring team was the very first draft I did, starting on 7/5/17.  2544 points and finished in 1st by 250+ points.  My worst team had 1966 points and I look at it now and wonder what in the world was I thinking :-)

My highest scoring team was drafted at the start of May(2453pts), and I find that to be a trend.

It seems to me the best time to draft in MFL 10's is very early in the process before the podcasts have created an echo chamber beating every possible sleeper out of the bushes. Sometimes it works in your favor(for instance there were a lot of industry experts fading Gurley which is the only reason he was on half of my teams) but overall it typically get's more and more difficult to find good players in those later rounds. It's one of the reasons I'm more likely to draft 2-3 defenses in August than I am in the spring.

Oddly enough, the two quarterbacks on that highest scoring team were Flacco(12th round) and Bradford(14th round).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steeler said:

Draft has full season best ball leagues similar to MFL10s?

Yep. The two big differences are the payout structure and the speed/style. Payouts are 1st is $50, 2nd is $30, 3rd is $18, 4th is $10. The draft is live. I think it’s a 90 second timer. There’s also different buy ins and league sizes.

Edit: The 2018 best ball drafts are open already. 

Edited by Borden
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BoltBacker said:

How big is the roster size?

Good question. It’s 18 vs 20 from MFL. Copy and paste from a current 10 team...

Duration: Team’s score points week 1 through week 16.

Scoring Positions: Each week your highest scoring players at these positions will count to your season total: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, and 1FLEX (your highest scoring RB, WR, or TE that isn’t already scoring. For example, if you have 3 RB’s lead your team in scoring one week, the top 2 will count as RB’s, and the 3rd will be your FLEX that week).

Team Size: 18 players. 8 players score each week. 10 don’t.

Scoring: .5 PPR just like our weekly NFL drafts.

Drafting: You must draft at least 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE and one more RB/WR/TE.

Edited by Borden

1 hour ago, jabarony said:

I think I'm already irked by the MFL10 transition to Fanball.  Website doesn't seem user friendly. We'll see how the withdrawal process goes.   Can't leave well enough alone, I guess. 

So I just logged on to look at withdrawing money. Have you guys seen the offer they have to keep money in your "wallet"? If this applies to MFL leagues next year it looks like a sweet deal. What say you guys?

Also, this is the first year I've won more than $600. My understating is we have to pay tax on that. I live in Pennsylvania. 

Any thoughts on this guys?

3 hours ago, jabarony said:

I think I'm already irked by the MFL10 transition to Fanball.  Website doesn't seem user friendly. We'll see how the withdrawal process goes.   Can't leave well enough alone, I guess. 

Same. Website is awful. I don't think I'll even use my credits. Trying to withdraw and get outta Dodge but of course they don't do PayPal. Probably will take 2018 off from bestball.

7 hours ago, Kwai Chang Caine said:

So I just logged on to look at withdrawing money. Have you guys seen the offer they have to keep money in your "wallet"? If this applies to MFL leagues next year it looks like a sweet deal. What say you guys?

Also, this is the first year I've won more than $600. My understating is we have to pay tax on that. I live in Pennsylvania. 

Any thoughts on this guys?

I put in a customer service ticket to Fanball asking if the wallet deal applies to MFL10s.  No response, yet - 24 hours so far.

I don't know about state-to-state, but the $600 limit is for federal tax returns.   You'll receive a form 1099 (?) that will show the $600+ as income.  You can negate those gains elsewhere in your taxes by subtracting your entry fees and other gambling losses.*

* consult a real tax expert not just some yahoo on an internet message board.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BroadwayG said:

Same. Website is awful. I don't think I'll even use my credits. Trying to withdraw and get outta Dodge but of course they don't do PayPal. Probably will take 2018 off from bestball.

A paper check looks to be free (though Fanball charges for paper checks for LeagueSafe...go figure).  I'll use my credits because why not?  But I will withdraw and may not deposit down the road.

15 hours ago, BroadwayG said:

Dear Mr.G,

Your request has been denied. You can switch over to Draft and we will make money. Thank you in advance. 

Sincerely,

- SP Bestball Players Association 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, BroadwayG said:

Is that where the 12th place team gets beheaded?

In a sense.

The lowest scoring team team gets eliminated each week(which is kind of a "survivor format" but the twist is all the players on that team are cut, and releases as FA's. That leads to an influx of new players becoming available each week.... albeit the players for the worst team in the league. The first week team 17 gets eliminated and those players become FA's. The second week, the 16th scoring team that week gets eliminated and the players on that team becomes FA's. And so on. I've never actually played in one but it sounds like fun.

I like survivor formats because your team can actually get eliminated in any given week, so every week you are paying close attention to your team. It's kind of like the FBG contest in that way.

7 hours ago, BoltBacker said:

In a sense.

The lowest scoring team team gets eliminated each week(which is kind of a "survivor format" but the twist is all the players on that team are cut, and releases as FA's. That leads to an influx of new players becoming available each week.... albeit the players for the worst team in the league. The first week team 17 gets eliminated and those players become FA's. The second week, the 16th scoring team that week gets eliminated and the players on that team becomes FA's. And so on. I've never actually played in one but it sounds like fun.

I like survivor formats because your team can actually get eliminated in any given week, so every week you are paying close attention to your team. It's kind of like the FBG contest in that way.

I may end up joining one. It will certainly be compelling to follow how the leagues will turn out. Will it favor the teams that go all in with their BBDs early in the season and build a nasty roster early, or will the teams that manage to hang around and spend later, be set up for winning down the stretch by being able to get all the players getting hot at the right time? 

You looking at the Safeleagues or somewhere else?

2 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

So am I to understand that the MFL10s simply don't exist anymore?  That there is just a similar, but different, version on Fanball?

Fanball bought them out. I wasn't a big fan of my winnings being transferred to them mid season, but ultimately it shouldn't matter too much. They are not starting off on the right foot though with the "surprise" money transfer and the fact that basically every other site that offers BB has rolled their 2018 leagues out weeks ago. I've already done several on Draft.com and Dataforce...fantrax looks like in interesting new one as well. I'll still play MFL10s, but am branching out considerably unless I'm wowed by what fanball will offer. 

On 3/3/2018 at 5:58 PM, Fresh Prince of Bel Nor said:

I may end up joining one. It will certainly be compelling to follow how the leagues will turn out. Will it favor the teams that go all in with their BBDs early in the season and build a nasty roster early, or will the teams that manage to hang around and spend later, be set up for winning down the stretch by being able to get all the players getting hot at the right time? 

You looking at the Safeleagues or somewhere else?

I've never used Fanball before so I'm not endorsing it but here is the link I saw....

https://www.fanball.com/article/introducing-guillotine-leagues

I'd be up for trying one if any of the usual suspects in this thread would like to form a 17 team league.

8 hours ago, BoltBacker said:

MFL 10's open?

Yup.  And I noticed the prize structure changed.  $100 for 1st.  $5 credit (not $10) for 2nd.  Of course fanball changed it for the worse.

Where you guys playing this year?  Anywhere else only take 1/12th of the pot (or better!)?

13 hours ago, jabarony said:

Yup.  And I noticed the prize structure changed.  $100 for 1st.  $5 credit (not $10) for 2nd.  Of course fanball changed it for the worse.

Where you guys playing this year?  Anywhere else only take 1/12th of the pot (or better!)?

I wouldn't even mind them taking more of the pot if they made the rosters bigger to make to the game more fun. The challenge of the draft is the fun part of an MFL10 and if I was receiving 30 rounds of entertainment I'd be willing to have a slightly smaller prize for 2nd place. 

I'm not playing yet. There were some fun draft-and-go leagues in the "Looking for Leagues" forum last year. It would be fun if a few of the regulars in here would be willing to start out own league. Seems like many people probably have $10 credits left from past seasons.

16 hours ago, jabarony said:

I've got $300 280 to burn through on fanball.

I'll be playing Fantrax heavily as well, they have 1/12th rake and 11/12 cash payout instead of 10/12 cash and 1/12 credits.

Draft is ok, but I doubt I'll play much there.

I don't understand why anyone would play at FFPC with their rake, but some love the 28 rounds.

I’m not wild about the mobile draft room.  I fat fingered a pick earlier.  I feel like there should be a “are you sure you wish to select ....” option.  I accidentally picked Tom Brady in the 6th round so it wasn’t the worst mistake ever but not the pick I was looking to make 

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, BroadwayG said:

I've got $300 280 to burn through on fanball.

I'll be playing Fantrax heavily as well, they have 1/12th rake and 11/12 cash payout instead of 10/12 cash and 1/12 credits.

Draft is ok, but I doubt I'll play much there.

I don't understand why anyone would play at FFPC with their rake, but some love the 28 rounds.

How does fantrax "mfl10" work?  Have you done one, yet?  Same setup with 8 hour clock, etc.?  I'm having a difficult time finding details on their site.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, BoltBacker said:

I wouldn't even mind them taking more of the pot if they made the rosters bigger to make to the game more fun. The challenge of the draft is the fun part of an MFL10 and if I was receiving 30 rounds of entertainment I'd be willing to have a slightly smaller prize for 2nd place. 

I'm not playing yet. There were some fun draft-and-go leagues in the "Looking for Leagues" forum last year. It would be fun if a few of the regulars in here would be willing to start out own league. Seems like many people probably have $10 credits left from past seasons.

I'd be willing to start a mfl10 league on mfl if you guys want to join.  Seems easy enough.  I'll do it if you guys want to trust a random internet dude with $10 of your money.  If you don't have that trust, then we'll need leaguesafe.  I have no idea how to do that, and am too lazy to look into it.  So basically, I'm volunteering only if it's super easy for me!

11 hours ago, jabarony said:

I'd be willing to start a mfl10 league on mfl if you guys want to join.  Seems easy enough.  I'll do it if you guys want to trust a random internet dude with $10 of your money.  If you don't have that trust, then we'll need leaguesafe.  I have no idea how to do that, and am too lazy to look into it.  So basically, I'm volunteering only if it's super easy for me!

I was hoping we could use the credits from the past that a lot of us had before this merger. But I'm not sure if that means we have to setup the league through Draft(as a private league) or we set it up through MFL to use our Draft credits? I thought the point of the merger was a person could use MFL, Draft, and LeagueSafe seamlessly? I haven't played in a league yet but plan to. Crossing my fingers that it will all go smoothly.

If we were to start a league from people in this thread which type of league(s) would you be most interested in?

- "classic" MFL10 (best ball, small starters, small roster, lots of luck)

- DEEP MFL10 (best ball, more starters, larger roster, less luck involved)

- IDP MFL10 (best ball, IDP and fairly deep but you just draft and go)

or

- Guilloteen league (best ball on a weekly basis, but does require bidding on FA each week.... that you survive)

- Survivor league (best ball in the truest sense as you draft and go, each week matters because you could get eliminated at any point)

I feel like it's pretty easy to get the classic MFL10 experience so I would lean toward one of the alternative leagues. Last year I had the most fun in the IDP(even though I didn't win any). Since it's only $10 I would propose we make it winner take all.

11 hours ago, jabarony said:

How does fantrax "mfl10" work?  Have you done one, yet?  Same setup with 8 hour clock, etc.?  I'm having a difficult time finding details on their site.

Yes, I've been in two, same setup and rules. I agree the site is difficult to navigate, draft room isn't as slick as fanball, neither one is a pleasant experience on mobile. But the rake is the best ever, and paypal payouts in two days (at least for my test deposit/withdrawal).

They'll need to get more volume so you're not playing the same guys every league.

@BroadwayG @BoltBacker and any one else.

I’m going to update the original post since MFL10s are no longer and these other sites popping up. What would you suggest for sites? Should I put a link for each category? Say... Best Payouts, Best Mobile App, Most League Types, Best Overall

Please tag me or just reply so I get the notification. 

So far I have FanBall and Draft. It looks like Fantrax is being enjoyed. Is there any others that are worthy of a mention?

Edited by Borden

3 hours ago, Borden said:

I’m going to update the original post since MFL10s are no longer and these other sites popping up. What would you suggest for sites? Should I put a link for each category? Say... Best Payouts, Best Mobile App, Most League Types, Best Overall

That's a great idea.

The most fun I had last season was IDP Best Ball with Marty in the "Looking for Leagues" forum. He said he wasn't interested in running them this year until the summer and I'd love to find enough people to form one of those. We had close to 50 roster spots and when you draft this time of year you really use them all because so much changes by the end of August and so many guys get hurt by week #2 of the season.

Well did my first one of the year. Through Draft for a massive buy in of $1. I’m glad it was only a dollar because their “Rookies now included!” doesn’t mean all the rookies. Ended up getting auto picked Cam in the 7th because I timed while looking for Nick Chubb. He’s not in there. They have Nick Wilson and others that are ranked to go after Chubb but not Chubb. Cmon man. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018-03-16 at 0:34 PM, starks said:

Is there an app for MFL10s? I looked around but didn't see one anywhere. 

MFL10s are now on FanBall I believe, I’m not sure if they have an app though. I don’t think the MFL10s are open yet. There is a few other options for this type of league setup though.

These people are really messing up the MFL10s. I checked in on that site and my $100 account balance is gone. I will have to dig into that once they open up. 

I’ve put in a few of the Draft best balls and while I don’t like the payout structure or the amount that the company takes off the top, the drafters there are pretty weak. They do things like take 4 mid tier QBs. 

Drafted a team last night, only a $1 buying league mind you but this is the team...

Cam, Eli

David Johnson, Guice, Duke Johnson, Chris Carson, Ronald Jones, Kerryon Johnson

Tyreek, Cooks, Dez, Jordy, Meredith, Galloway, Mike Wallace

Gronk, Njoku, Witten

On 4/10/2018 at 5:25 AM, Borden said:

MFL10s are now on FanBall I believe, I’m not sure if they have an app though. I don’t think the MFL10s are open yet. There is a few other options for this type of league setup though.

These people are really messing up the MFL10s. I checked in on that site and my $100 account balance is gone. I will have to dig into that once they open up. 

Yeah, I found this a little confusing as well. My balance did show up on my LeagueSafe page but it doesn't show up on the official MFL10 page for me either either. 

Since the funds are available on LeagueSafe I just set up a quick league that some of can join using out winnings from last year with the same scoring rules but slightly bigger rosters and 29 rounds of the draft. It's early, anyone that has started one of these things before the preseason knows that there will be several big injuries before the season actually starts. It's just a 10 team/$10 league to get things started. I am going to make it a double up league so that if you finish at the top half you double your money.... this is meant to be fun diversion from our main league not a big money maker. If anyone is interested in joining or if you have any info on the MFL10's updating their milk-toast versions from every other year please post it. 

Until then if you are interested in this league shoot me a PM and I'll send you a link to join using your LeagueSafe balance that should have been forwarded from last years MFL account..... http://www51.myfantasyleague.com/2018/home/16587#0 .... but please read the rules/scoring because it's ALMOST the same as before. Slightly deeper starters and deeper bench because it's only a 10 team league. Double up to keep it just for fun. If you need a bigger ROI that's fine, this league wasn't meant for you. It's mostly to add to the best-ball discussion in this thread. We will start as soon as it's filled/paid.

NOTICE!: It's a hard 8 hour timer(the clock never stops), and a ONE strike and you are auto-draft. If you are one of these special snow flakes that needs 11 hours of sleep each night you may want to only join this thing if you are capable/willing to make a pre-draft list. IMO most people can check online to see if they are on the clock 3 times throughout the day via their mobile device. To some of us this will make drafting so much more enjoyable than the old MFL10's it's worth the pia to set up our own league. If you honestly can't draft in 8 hours on a regular basis.... you should probably just STAY AWAY. It has always felt like 20% of the league was on the clock 80% of the time.

• Like 1