What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (7 Viewers)

The fried chicken thing is in a previous link- there's a history tied to it being slave food in the south and its depiction in "Birth of a Nation."
So then franchises like Churches and Popeyes opening their restaurants in mostly black neighborhoods is perpetuating racism? Honest question. Or is it a smart financial move because their product is actually consumed more by that race on average?
The latter. It's not racist to use demographics to determine consumer trends. That's s form of racial profiling that is inoffensive. It only becomes racist when you negatively target individuals based on racial stereotypes.

uhh..no? I'm saying Blinky is quoting someone making fun of himself. I have no idea what race Blinky is.

And if you are quoting Chapelle or whoever else making fun of other races, that can be racist. Again, is it worth an uproar? 99% of the time, it isn't, because there's no malicious intent in it.
So you can quote someone making fun on their own race, but you can't quote someone of another race making fun of a 3rd race? As a white guy, can I quote Chapelle making fun of whites? If so, I think I got it. I can quote Chapelle making fun of black people because he's making fun of himself. I can also quote Chapelle making fun of white people because I'm white. I just can't quote Chapelle making fun of Asians because neither he or I are Asian. Is that how it goes?

I'm pretty sure I can't quote Chapelle making fun of black people liking fried chicken, though. Or I can't quote Tobias with anything he says about Jewish people (which I am not).

As far as your confusion- you didn't just make a minor mistake. The "inherent" part of the statement "it is racism if you think the races have inherent differences other than physical ones" was the whole point. It was really weird that you left it off.

As for your examples/questions- who knows? Whether any thing is racist or sexist or whatever depends on context- what you're trying to say when you say or do something.

\

For the life of me I don't understand why people don't get the concept of context. You know how you can call your significant other by a cute name but I can't call him/her by that name? Or how a comedian can crack a joke about the dumb ##### he met last night during a standup show but a politician can't do it during a debate? That's context. It's really a simple concept.
I'll tell you why people don't get the concept of context - because it's a moving target. And it is occasionally used as a weapon. Once again, I bring up the teacher in Chicago who was suspended for using the n-word as a teaching exercise to show his predominantly black class why the term was so offensive. http://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-politics/7/71/473030/judge-throws-lawsuit-white-teacher-suspended-using-n-word

How can you blame white people for being confused in this area? Your continued assertion that this is a "simple concept" shows a little bit of a blind spot.
No, I said the concept is a basic one. I understand that the actual lines are occasionally difficult to grasp.

Personally, I generally avoid trouble by staying far enough away from the line when it comes to other races, ethnicities, etc. that I don't have to worry about it. If you want to walk that line, that's up to you. And if you feel like someone has wrongly accused someone else of crossing it, feel free to question their accusations.

But don't tell me you don't get why black rappers can use the n-word but a white guy on a fantasy football message board can't, or why gay men can refer to their friends as a bunch of queers but straight guys in a bar can't refer to a group of gay men that way, or that you don't understand why it's racist to say black people love fried chicken and watermelon but not racist to say they love the NBA. That's total ignorance of the entire concept of context, not just ignorance of where the lines are drawn .
I actually like what you said about avoiding the lines altogether, and I've learned the hard way over the years that this is the prudent course of action.

But I'm interested, can you tell me why it is ok for black rappers to use the n-word? Or why it's not ok for a white person to say, in a matter of fact manner, that black people like fried chicken? Not trolling - genuinely interested in your thoughts on this.
Well, obviously I'm not the arbiter of what is and isn't racist based on context. Context is established collectively. All I can do is tell you why I can tell you why I think those things, and why most other people think them too.

The rappers using the n-word thing is a reclamation thing, where a minority takes a slur and uses it among themselves as a term of familiarity or endearment. Pretty common thing, you also see it with gays using queer (or even "f----t") to refer to themselves. Lots of other minorities do it, or at least they're not that upset when others do it. I'm Jewish and if I called another Jewish person who know I was Jewish a "****" it would go over much differently than if a non-Jewish stranger did it. That's how slurs have always worked.

The fried chicken thing is in a previous link- there's a history tied to it being slave food in the south and its depiction in "Birth of a Nation."
What if I(a whiteboy) like rap music and call my white friends ##### or #####z? With emphasis on the "a" and not an "er". Raycess or not?
Raycess, no. Bad idea? Probably.
Why is a bad idea though? I grew up listening to 90's rap music, loved movie's like Friday and like everyone else was a fan of Chapelle. That word is SO common in those examples. To me it's just repeating a line in song or movie that makes me laugh. Again, I'm not talking about saying ##### around a bunch of strangers who may get offended.

So then franchises like Churches and Popeyes opening their restaurants in mostly black neighborhoods is perpetuating racism? Honest question. Or is it a smart financial move because their product is actually consumed more by that race on average?
The latter.It's not racist to use demographics to determine consumer trends. That's s form of racial profiling that is inoffensive. It only becomes racist when you negatively target individuals based on racial stereotypes.
So targeting them for profit is fine? I thought targeting undereducated (which isn't a racial thing, but was turned into one) people to buy lotto tickets was a bad thing.

uhh..no? I'm saying Blinky is quoting someone making fun of himself. I have no idea what race Blinky is.

And if you are quoting Chapelle or whoever else making fun of other races, that can be racist. Again, is it worth an uproar? 99% of the time, it isn't, because there's no malicious intent in it.
So you can quote someone making fun on their own race, but you can't quote someone of another race making fun of a 3rd race? As a white guy, can I quote Chapelle making fun of whites? If so, I think I got it. I can quote Chapelle making fun of black people because he's making fun of himself. I can also quote Chapelle making fun of white people because I'm white. I just can't quote Chapelle making fun of Asians because neither he or I are Asian. Is that how it goes?

I'm pretty sure I can't quote Chapelle making fun of black people liking fried chicken, though. Or I can't quote Tobias with anything he says about Jewish people (which I am not).
:fishing:

Well, I didn't even say that a matter of fact statement about black people liking fried chicken was racist. I said the negative aspect of the association is explained in the previous link. If you're saying it in that context- like say you've conducted a detailed study into fast food preferences by race and reached that conclusion- then it's a different story.

Regardless, a company deciding to open a restaurant in a place where it will make money is obviously not racist, whether it's a Popeye's in a predominantly black neighborhood or a Brooks Brothers in a predominantly white neighborhood. The only context to a business decision is maximizing profits. I really hope you're joking with this line of questions, because if not I'm starting to question my previous statements about respecting your intelligence and perspective.

As far as your confusion- you didn't just make a minor mistake. The "inherent" part of the statement "it is racism if you think the races have inherent differences other than physical ones" was the whole point. It was really weird that you left it off.

As for your examples/questions- who knows? Whether any thing is racist or sexist or whatever depends on context- what you're trying to say when you say or do something.

\

For the life of me I don't understand why people don't get the concept of context. You know how you can call your significant other by a cute name but I can't call him/her by that name? Or how a comedian can crack a joke about the dumb ##### he met last night during a standup show but a politician can't do it during a debate? That's context. It's really a simple concept.
I'll tell you why people don't get the concept of context - because it's a moving target. And it is occasionally used as a weapon. Once again, I bring up the teacher in Chicago who was suspended for using the n-word as a teaching exercise to show his predominantly black class why the term was so offensive. http://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-politics/7/71/473030/judge-throws-lawsuit-white-teacher-suspended-using-n-word

How can you blame white people for being confused in this area? Your continued assertion that this is a "simple concept" shows a little bit of a blind spot.
No, I said the concept is a basic one. I understand that the actual lines are occasionally difficult to grasp.

Personally, I generally avoid trouble by staying far enough away from the line when it comes to other races, ethnicities, etc. that I don't have to worry about it. If you want to walk that line, that's up to you. And if you feel like someone has wrongly accused someone else of crossing it, feel free to question their accusations.

But don't tell me you don't get why black rappers can use the n-word but a white guy on a fantasy football message board can't, or why gay men can refer to their friends as a bunch of queers but straight guys in a bar can't refer to a group of gay men that way, or that you don't understand why it's racist to say black people love fried chicken and watermelon but not racist to say they love the NBA. That's total ignorance of the entire concept of context, not just ignorance of where the lines are drawn .
I actually like what you said about avoiding the lines altogether, and I've learned the hard way over the years that this is the prudent course of action.

But I'm interested, can you tell me why it is ok for black rappers to use the n-word? Or why it's not ok for a white person to say, in a matter of fact manner, that black people like fried chicken? Not trolling - genuinely interested in your thoughts on this.
Well, obviously I'm not the arbiter of what is and isn't racist based on context. Context is established collectively. All I can do is tell you why I can tell you why I think those things, and why most other people think them too.

The rappers using the n-word thing is a reclamation thing, where a minority takes a slur and uses it among themselves as a term of familiarity or endearment. Pretty common thing, you also see it with gays using queer (or even "f----t") to refer to themselves. Lots of other minorities do it, or at least they're not that upset when others do it. I'm Jewish and if I called another Jewish person who know I was Jewish a "****" it would go over much differently than if a non-Jewish stranger did it. That's how slurs have always worked.

What if I(a whiteboy) like rap music and call my white friends ##### or #####z? With emphasis on the "a" and not an "er". Raycess or not?
Why is a bad idea though? I grew up listening to 90's rap music, loved movie's like Friday and like everyone else was a fan of Chapelle. That word is SO common in those examples. To me it's just repeating a line in song or movie that makes me laugh. Again, I'm not talking about saying ##### around a bunch of strangers who may get offended.
if its amongst yourselves go for it. But if you want to be conscious of offending others, then its probably not a good idea in public.

What are your Dr. Dre rules?

Last edited by a moderator:

\

I'll tell you why people don't get the concept of context - because it's a moving target. And it is occasionally used as a weapon. Once again, I bring up the teacher in Chicago who was suspended for using the n-word as a teaching exercise to show his predominantly black class why the term was so offensive. http://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-politics/7/71/473030/judge-throws-lawsuit-white-teacher-suspended-using-n-wordHow can you blame white people for being confused in this area? Your continued assertion that this is a "simple concept" shows a little bit of a blind spot.

I actually like what you said about avoiding the lines altogether, and I've learned the hard way over the years that this is the prudent course of action.But I'm interested, can you tell me why it is ok for black rappers to use the n-word? Or why it's not ok for a white person to say, in a matter of fact manner, that black people like fried chicken? Not trolling - genuinely interested in your thoughts on this.

It's a bad idea because most educated people will think you are an idiot.I suppose if your friends are also idiots it doesn't matter though.

This applies to all races.

\

if its amongst yourselves go for it. But if you want to be conscious of offending others, then its probably not a good idea in public.
:thumbup:

Agreed. For the same reason I don't go dropping the F-bomb in front of my mother and her friends. I understand that's important to know your audience.

The latter.It's not racist to use demographics to determine consumer trends. That's s form of racial profiling that is inoffensive. It only becomes racist when you negatively target individuals based on racial stereotypes.
So targeting them for profit is fine? I thought targeting undereducated (which isn't a racial thing, but was turned into one) people to buy lotto tickets was a bad thing.
I don't have a problem with that. But even if I did, that's not the same as fried chicken restaurants either.

\

I personally wouldn't do it, but feel free to try it next time you and your friends are out in public and let me know how it goes.
I didn't say public. But I generally understand that things I'd say to my friends in our houses, the gym, etc are not things I'd around people that might not understand the context.

Same question, with the clarification of being at someone's private residence.
Depends on the context, as always. Like, if you're singing along to a song, I'm guessing most people would think that's fine. If you say it because one of your friends does something similar to a negative behavior associated with black people, yeah it's probably racist. If you just use it as a term of endearment with no other context at all, I'd probably say it's not racist. Just kinda weird.

Another officer-involved killing in SC

Narcotics officers were serving a search warrant at Burgess' home on Belcher Road in the Boiling Springs area just before 10 a.m. Thursday when Burgess got belligerent, Lt. Kevin Bobo said.

The narcotics officers called for backup.

Two deputies from traffic patrol showed up to assist the narcotics team.

Burgess continued to be belligerent, grabbed a gun off the top of the refrigerator and pointed it at the traffic deputies, according to Bobo.

The two traffic deputies opened fire, killing Burgess, Bobo said.

A woman and a child were in the home when the narcotics team first arrived, but were allowed to leave before the situation escalated, according to Bobo.
Cops say the bad guy reached for a gun.... :shrug:

Honest questions. Your avatar picture is apparently ok because the guy was making fun of a racial stereotype of his own race. The history of the chicken stuff is new to me, so thank you Tobias.

\

I'll tell you why people don't get the concept of context - because it's a moving target. And it is occasionally used as a weapon. Once again, I bring up the teacher in Chicago who was suspended for using the n-word as a teaching exercise to show his predominantly black class why the term was so offensive. http://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-politics/7/71/473030/judge-throws-lawsuit-white-teacher-suspended-using-n-wordHow can you blame white people for being confused in this area? Your continued assertion that this is a "simple concept" shows a little bit of a blind spot.

I actually like what you said about avoiding the lines altogether, and I've learned the hard way over the years that this is the prudent course of action.But I'm interested, can you tell me why it is ok for black rappers to use the n-word? Or why it's not ok for a white person to say, in a matter of fact manner, that black people like fried chicken? Not trolling - genuinely interested in your thoughts on this.

It's a bad idea because most educated people will think you are an idiot.I suppose if your friends are also idiots it doesn't matter though.

So quoting Samuel Jackson from Pulp Fiction makes me an idiot? And it makes my friends idiots for laughing? Gotta be PC at all times I guess.

Another officer-involved killing in SC

Narcotics officers were serving a search warrant at Burgess' home on Belcher Road in the Boiling Springs area just before 10 a.m. Thursday when Burgess got belligerent, Lt. Kevin Bobo said.

The narcotics officers called for backup.

Two deputies from traffic patrol showed up to assist the narcotics team.

Burgess continued to be belligerent, grabbed a gun off the top of the refrigerator and pointed it at the traffic deputies, according to Bobo.

The two traffic deputies opened fire, killing Burgess, Bobo said.

A woman and a child were in the home when the narcotics team first arrived, but were allowed to leave before the situation escalated, according to Bobo.
Cops say the bad guy reached for a gun.... :shrug:
What's your point?

What the hell happened in here?
Tangents prevailed since their was general consensus on the main topic.
Story out this morning that the dash cam video and witness testimony might help the officer's defense against a murder charge.
Fodder to distract a jury, certainly, but in my mind not material. Of course, I am not the one who will be ruling on the materiality.
I guess if I'm being devil's advocate: Cop pulls over guy. Guy is really shady when cop asks him about the car and who owns it and where the registration is. Guy is evasive and seems to change his story. Can't put my finger on it, but something is off about the guy. Cop goes back to his car to run plates and license. Guy continues to act squirrely, and starts to get out of car. Cop tells him to stay put. Cop's blood pressure probably starting to spike. Guy suddenly bolts out of car and takes off.

[now stop for a second: Cop may think -- "if this guy is really who he says he is and this is his car, why would he bolt? We'd just go to his house later and find it. Guy might have stolen this car and be a danger to the public."]

Anyway, Cop chases guy, and tases guy, and gets him on the ground. But taser doesn't work!! Guy seems to cop to be a freak of nature. He's still going! Guy gets up, knocks taser out of cop's hand, and takes off! Cop, in a split-second, has to decide what to do. There is a potentially dangerous fellon running away, he ran from a routine stop, he overpowered me even though he was tased, and Cop has no idea where his backup is, and no idea if the Guy is running towards an innocent bystander. Cop pulls weapon and fires. And, as he's trained to do: If he fires one bullet, then he keeps firing until the guy is incpacitated.

Anyway: that's how the video could help. In a weird way, I almost feel bad for the cop. He was probably terrified and unequipped to handle the situation. And poorly trained. (that doesn't mean he shouldn't suffer the consequences of his actions).

\

So quoting Samuel Jackson from Pulp Fiction makes me an idiot? And it makes my friends idiots for laughing? Gotta be PC at all times I guess.
That's not the context you alluded to, but debating this is pointless.

Use common sense.

Well, I didn't even say that a matter of fact statement about black people liking fried chicken was racist. I said the negative aspect of the association is explained in the previous link. If you're saying it in that context- like say you've conducted a detailed study into fast food preferences by race and reached that conclusion- then it's a different story.

Regardless, a company deciding to open a restaurant in a place where it will make money is obviously not racist, whether it's a Popeye's in a predominantly black neighborhood or a Brooks Brothers in a predominantly white neighborhood. The only context to a business decision is maximizing profits. I really hope you're joking with this line of questions, because if not I'm starting to question my previous statements about respecting your intelligence and perspective.
I think you need to tone down the veiled insults of lack of intelligence. Your response here is very curious, because there were some high profile cases in the late 90's early 2000's about certain businesses targeting black communities as the very definition of racism. I'm talking about McDonald's and Package Stores in particular.

I think a lot of you guys are deliberately trying to obscure what is and what is not racism. And that's easy to do because there's no clear definition: to paraphrase Potter Stewart, it's like obscenity: you know it when you see it.

Racial profiling by police is racism. No matter how many other examples you might bring up in an attempt to blur this fact, or how many reasons you come up with in an attempt to justify it, it's still racism. Like the vast majority of racism in this country, it's caused, not by malevolence toward another race, but by laziness and ignorance and our constant desire to find simple solutions to complex problems.

\

I personally wouldn't do it, but feel free to try it next time you and your friends are out in public and let me know how it goes.
I didn't say public. But I generally understand that things I'd say to my friends in our houses, the gym, etc are not things I'd around people that might not understand the context.

Depends on the context, as always. Like, if you're singing along to a song, I'm guessing most people would think that's fine. If you say it because one of your friends does something similar to a negative behavior associated with black people, yeah it's probably racist. If you just use it as a term of endearment with no other context at all, I'd probably say it's not racist. Just kinda weird.
No more weird than a black guy using it in the same context. Actually, you could argue it's even weirder for black man to say it because of the negative history his people and the word.

I think you need to tone down the veiled insults of lack of intelligence. Your response here is very curious, because there were some high profile cases in the late 90's early 2000's about certain businesses targeting black communities as the very definition of racism. I'm talking about McDonald's and Package Stores in particular.
That's kind of his schtick.

matttyl and I go back and forth on stuff like this all the time. I cay say that because I'm usually complimentary and respectful of him so I assume he knows I'm kidding around, while also pointing out that this isn't up to his usual quality of insight IMO. I wouldn't say that stuff to someone with whom I didn't have a history of respectful exchanges and also the occasional insult in both directions. Context- it isn't just for racial issues!

I'm not familiar with the McDonald's racism charges, I'll check it out, thanks.

I think a lot of you guys are deliberately trying to obscure what is and what is not racism. And that's easy to do because there's no clear definition: to paraphrase Potter Stewart, it's like obscenity: you know it when you see it.

Racial profiling by police is racism. No matter how many other examples you might bring up in an attempt to blur this fact, or how many reasons you come up with in an attempt to justify it, it's still racism. Like the vast majority of racism in this country, it's caused, not by malevolence toward another race, but by laziness and ignorance and our constant desire to find simple solutions to complex problems.
I kind of wish people would stop using the term "racist" and "racism." I'm not sure how it is helpful. Isn't it easier to talk about what are appropriate actions? An action is either appropriate or not. A statement is either appropriate or not. Calling something or something "racist" is problematic because it's so subjective.

Honest questions. Your avatar picture is apparently ok because the guy was making fun of a racial stereotype of his own race. The history of the chicken stuff is new to me, so thank you Tobias.
I just don't get the point of your questions. You seem to be fishing. There really are no rules when it comes to social interaction. Most people generally know whats appropriate and whats not. You are free to joke about whatever you wish and quote whomever you wish. Its not racist to do so. It might be offensive however so you will have to learn when and where its appropriate to do so.

Story out this morning that the dash cam video and witness testimony might help the officer's defense against a murder charge.
Fodder to distract a jury, certainly, but in my mind not material. Of course, I am not the one who will be ruling on the materiality.
I guess if I'm being devil's advocate: Cop pulls over guy. Guy is really shady when cop asks him about the car and who owns it and where the registration is. Guy is evasive and seems to change his story. Can't put my finger on it, but something is off about the guy. Cop goes back to his car to run plates and license. Guy continues to act squirrely, and starts to get out of car. Cop tells him to stay put. Cop's blood pressure probably starting to spike. Guy suddenly bolts out of car and takes off.

[now stop for a second: Cop may think -- "if this guy is really who he says he is and this is his car, why would he bolt? We'd just go to his house later and find it. Guy might have stolen this car and be a danger to the public."]

Anyway, Cop chases guy, and tases guy, and gets him on the ground. But taser doesn't work!! Guy seems to cop to be a freak of nature. He's still going! Guy gets up, knocks taser out of cop's hand, and takes off! Cop, in a split-second, has to decide what to do. There is a potentially dangerous fellon running away, he ran from a routine stop, he overpowered me even though he was tased, and Cop has no idea where his backup is, and no idea if the Guy is running towards an innocent bystander. Cop pulls weapon and fires. And, as he's trained to do: If he fires one bullet, then he keeps firing until the guy is incpacitated.

Anyway: that's how the video could help. In a weird way, I almost feel bad for the cop. He was probably terrified and unequipped to handle the situation. And poorly trained. (that doesn't mean he shouldn't suffer the consequences of his actions).
There's also a new eyewitness who confirms that there was a "tussle" between the cop and Scott. The current speculation is the dash cam video and the confirmation of the physical confrontation may help get the conviction reduced to manslaughter.

\

You really believe that the concept of context is applied fairly? I direct you now for the third time to the high school teacher in Chicago example. The context of how he used the n-word did not apply at all in his case. And meanwhile the black kid who sent the note used the n-word was undisciplined. And this was at a public institution, with Unions and lawyers involved.

It amazes me how blind liberals can be to reverse discrimination and the inherent unfairness of it.

Yes, many of the questions where in jest. I guess my main question would be if the very act of perpetuating a racial stereotype is in itself racist. For instance, last year my wife and I decided not to give X-mas gifts to one another, and to instead "adopt" two "angels" from the local Salvation Army (which I'm affiliated with). This is where you are connected with local children in your area and purchase them gifts for x-mas as they likely wouldn't receive many from their below average means family (if they even have a family). You know nothing about the child aside from 2 or 3 things on a small card (age, gender, favorite color). Sometimes you're able to meet the child prior, but not always. Lets say I was connected with a black child - and I got him a basketball. Wrong? What if it were a young Asian child, and I got them some type of science experiment toy. Or a white child and got him a small "monster truck" (that's a thing with young white males in this area, owning jacked up pick up trucks). Obviously none of that is done with any malice, I'm literally buying x-mas presents for children. Is malice a requirement for something to be deemed racist (I would say the answer to that question is often, but not always).

Mainly I'm just killing time till 5:00 on Friday....when I can go get some fried chicken on my way home.

There's also a new eyewitness who confirms that there was a "tussle" between the cop and Scott. The current speculation is the dash cam video and the confirmation of the physical confrontation may help get the conviction reduced to manslaughter.
Hell, I could see an acquital. My (very fuzzy) memory from Criminal Law class is that if a suspect is fleeing and the police has reason to believe that this suspect is a serious danger to the public, he can shoot the (unarmed) suspect.

The quintisential argument would be something like this: Boston Bombing suspect breaks out of jail, is unarmed, and running and is about to vanish/get away. If a cop shot the suspect in the exact same manner (unarmed, running away, no danger to the cop), wouldn't that be justified?

So if that's the rule, and the defendant convinces the jury about his state of mind, coudn't that lead to an acquittal?

I have a question about the tazer. I've always assumed that if you get tazed, that puts you out for a while, several minutes. It's supposed to be quite painful and quite debilitating. You should not be able to get up an run away seconds later.

Is this a wrong assumption?

I have a question about the tazer. I've always assumed that if you get tazed, that puts you out for a while, several minutes. It's supposed to be quite painful and quite debilitating. You should not be able to get up an run away seconds later.

They aren't always 100% effective. I think the problem generally occurs when the cop misses with one of the probes. There are reports of people getting tased multiple times and running straight through it though.

\

You really believe that the concept of context is applied fairly? I direct you now for the third time to the high school teacher in Chicago example. The context of how he used the n-word did not apply at all in his case. And meanwhile the black kid who sent the note used the n-word was undisciplined. And this was at a public institution, with Unions and lawyers involved.

It amazes me how blind liberals can be to reverse discrimination and the inherent unfairness of it.
Where did you get this out of my post? I'm sure there's cases on the margins that result in things that might be unjust or unfair- which again, is why I generally go with the better safe than sorry approach. I saw your link to the story, and it strikes me as one of those cases. Based on what I read it sucks for him that he was suspended without pay for five days. I'm sure there's similar cases that also suck for the people involved. Not sure what you want me to do about it.

Really, I don't care who gets to use the N-word and who doesn't. That seems to be a really be hang-up with some white conservatives on this board. I don't get it.

People will judge people for how they use words. That's kind of how the world works.

jon_mx said:
B-Deep said:
jon_mx said:
Hang 10 said:
Statistically speaking blacks commit more crimes than other races, correct? Inevitably this is going to lead to profiling. I don't know how you avoid that.That's why I just wish we could discuss excessive use of force separate from the race issue. Show me a cop harassing a minority that's not resisting arrest, running, escalating the situation, etc and I'm right there on their side with everyone else.
The topic should be non-race specific and target general abuse by some police officers. I think that would be more productive. Unfortunately, because of the prevelence of black crime, police do harrass innocent blacks more often than whites. But I think if the issue of police conduct is addressed in general terms, it will translate into everyone being treated better.
unless the "prevalence of black crime" is a myth which is propagated by the police targeting black people more
I suggest you take a late night stroll down the streets of south Chicago and test your theory. Report back. :popcorn:
I'd suggest that's a very poor way to indict a race as somehow inherently criminal.
No one said anything about inherently criminal. But there are endless stats which do show it is a problem beyond the test I suggested above.

Hell, I could see an acquital. My (very fuzzy) memory from Criminal Law class is that if a suspect is fleeing and the police has reason to believe that this suspect is a serious danger to the public, he can shoot the (unarmed) suspect.

The quintisential argument would be something like this: Boston Bombing suspect breaks out of jail, is unarmed, and running and is about to vanish/get away. If a cop shot the suspect in the exact same manner (unarmed, running away, no danger to the cop), wouldn't that be justified?

So if that's the rule, and the defendant convinces the jury about his state of mind, coudn't that lead to an acquittal?
Did you see the car cam footage posted above? If one can get to an individual as dangerous as the boston bomber from that video, I'd like to really understand their thinking. It's pretty clear (to me) that the guy in the car is scared. You can tell by the way he's fumbling through his answers about the car. If a defense attorney can get a jury to believe that this guy was getting ready to go on a rampage and be a sever threat to society off that footage, he/she is a miracle worker at picking a jury and a fantastic salesman.

Where did you get this out of my post? I'm sure there's cases on the margins that result in things that might be unjust or unfair- which again, is why I generally go with the better safe than sorry approach. I saw your link to the story, and it strikes me as one of those cases. Based on what I read it sucks for him that he was suspended without pay for five days. I'm sure there's similar cases that also suck for the people involved. Not sure what you want me to do about it.
Acknowledging it would be nice. You give it very short shrift and you trivialize it, and the only thing I am able to deduce from that is you don't care. If it happened to a black person, however, you would care. And that's the disconnect I have with you.

Did you see the car cam footage posted above? If one can get to an individual as dangerous as the boston bomber from that video, I'd like to really understand their thinking. It's pretty clear (to me) that the guy in the car is scared. You can tell by the way he's fumbling through his answers about the car. If a defense attorney can get a jury to believe that this guy was getting ready to go on a rampage and be a sever threat to society off that footage, he/she is a miracle worker at picking a jury and a fantastic salesman.
I was using a hypothetical to establish a baseline point, which is that "If a person is a danger to society, the Police can shoot to kill if he is escaping."

"Outrageous" comparisons (i.e., hypotheticals), are useful in that they help clarify a general rule. We then need to look at the facts of the situation through the lens of the rule.

So. I wasn't comparing the two in substance, but in type: An unarmed person fleeing. If it is ok for the police to shoot-to-kill in one set of facts, let's look at the "why" (i.e., justification), and then comparison to another set of facts.

Anyway, I was really just trying to determine how he would argue he was innocent. If a grand jury can refuse to even indict the police for the Eric Garner death, I can see a jury acquiting.

But I was really just asking the point to people who know criminal law: "Is it true that if the Police think someone is a serious danger to society, they can shoot the unarmed fleeing person?" If so, then I could see the Officer making this argument.

Acknowledging it would be nice. You give it very short shrift and you trivialize it, and the only thing I am able to deduce from that is you don't care. If it happened to a black person, however, you would care. And that's the disconnect I have with you.
It's a horrible injustice, a terrible tragedy, and a stain on our great nation. I will address it fully in my upcoming motion picture, "Twelve Years a White Guy Who Wasnt Allowed to use the N-word Even Though Black People Can Say It"

Happy?

Yes.
then please educate me. Tia
I guess it's kinda like getting shot with a real gun. Not every bullet wound is going to have the same effect. People can be grazed or "winged" by a bullet and still be able to run or fight or whatever. A bullet center mass would have a much different effect.

There was a warrant out for Scott's arrest for child support. There was also another person in Scott's car when he took off and ran.

Curiouser and curiouser....

Users who are viewing this thread