What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (7 Viewers)

This reminds me a lot of Ahmaud Arbery - when the police did not make arrests when they saw the video, they made arrests when the public saw the video.
Interesting that it took like 30 seconds to fire the guy after the video went viral.  What, they thought it was a grey area until NameBunchOfNumbers on Twitter pointed out that actually this was kind of bad?

Interesting that it took like 30 seconds to fire the guy after the video went viral.  What, they thought it was a grey area until NameBunchOfNumbers on Twitter pointed out that actually this was kind of bad?
when didnt the incident actually happen?  i think i missed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Im not making age-ist or fat comments.   And my go to isn't to see racism.    

I dont think all whites,  Blacks, latinos, Asians etc are all on there own "teams" 

But its obvious  you do.

I think you are trying to change the subject after revealing your true thoughts.   Pitiful. 
You said it couldn't be racism because his name was Gutierrez.  Apparently Latin people cannot be racist to black people, which would come as news to them.  

When this was pointed out, you asked if a white guy pulling over a white guy could be racist.  

Perhaps you could expand on those thoughts, because it sure sounds like you group Latin and black people together.

Should also be said that you have no idea if Mr. Gutierrez is Latin or not.  

But immediately ruling it out is?
I dont rule in or out.

But saying. "This is racism.   Full stop"  is wrong.

And it doesn't need to be racist.   Its bad policing,   their actual job the pepper spraying officer guy should have been fired 2 months ago.    Regardless if he is a racist.   He is a bad cop.

You said it couldn't be racism because his name was Gutierrez.  Apparently Latin people cannot be racist to black people, which would come as news to them.  

When this was pointed out, you asked if a white guy pulling over a white guy could be racist.  

Perhaps you could expand on those thoughts, because it sure sounds like you group Latin and black people together.

My point was when asked.  "It's not racist full stop".   It's bad policing.

That's not racism.    Bad policing sure.  

You said "Thats not racism."  Thats ruling it out.

Also, i feel the need to clarify again because people continually miss the point.  There could be racism at play and the officers themselves are NOT racist.  Oftentimes in this thread, people are referring to systemic racism.  So while the officers work in a racist system, they themselves may not be racists. 

Im not saying whether racism was at play or not.  Ill wait for more info.  But I dont think you can necessarily rule it out or in definitively at this point. 

Also, i feel the need to clarify again because people continually miss the point.  There could be racism at play and the officers themselves are NOT racist.  Oftentimes in this thread, people are referring to systemic racism.  So while the officers work in a racist system, they themselves may not be racists. 

Im not saying whether racism was at play or not.  Ill wait for more info.  But I dont think you can necessarily rule it out or in definitively at this point. 
I interpreted the quick hand dude saying bad policing <> racism.  Not necessarily that racism by a black guy on a hispanic guy is not possible or that a PO cannot be racist if not white.

Is there any actual evidence of racism in the video?  We already have posters saying "this. is. racism.  full stop."  We just need those clapping hand emoji's in between each word which will make it magically more real.

Its like a race to see who can call the other guy racist first, in real life and on these message boards.  

I interpreted the sure hand due saying bad policing <> racism.  Not necessarily that racism by a black guy on a hispanic guy is not possible.

Its like a race to see who can call the other guy racist first.  
i mean he included the fact that the guy was hispanic and the officer was a POC.  unless i am really interpreting this poorly, it seemed he was saying there couldnt be racism at play because of that.  Also my point was that it may be systemic and not the officers themselves.  That could still mean there is racism at play. 

Well sure.   The army gentleman  was listed in the article in the first two paragraphs as a black Latino.    The officers were not identified  by race.   The photo at top of the shows guiterrez who has been fired.   (Not officer cocker)  holding his taser on line nazario.  

The original post I responded  to said full stop racism. 

It is not "full stop" racism.    It implies nothing.

Now you should have not called the fired officer older and fat.

But I would like you to expand on your use of clearly dehumanizing  "older fatter" comments.   Do you think that's ok.

Perhaps you can try to use terms like more experienced, bigger.  Of the two officers where fired.

i mean he included the fact that the guy was hispanic and the officer was a POC.  unless i am really interpreting this poorly, it seemed he was saying there couldnt be racism at play because of that.  Also my point was that it may be systemic and not the officers themselves.  That could still mean there is racism at play. 
Hear you on the systemic part...will watch that conversation play out.

I think we're all trained to automatically prescribe white cop and non white citizen = racism.  Bad policing is not an option...which is the wrong take but thats the world we live in.  In this case its still the wrong take, but the fact that its not a white guy should at least open up the door to reason and waiting for facts before declaring it racism.  I think that's what is driving the reaction.

Will let the wrestler guy speak for himself if he thinks black people can't be racists.  I'm not sure what the latest definition of the word is...but I'd say for sure they can have hate in their heart based on race.

So non racists are doing the work of the hidden hand.    Yea ill keep missing the point.

It's exhausting and depressing to see these videos over and over.  Genuinely sad.

(Now imagine it's been happening in your community for 150 years and no one believed you until now because there were no videos.)

I think we're all trained to automatically prescribe white cop and non white citizen = racism.  Bad policing is not an option...which is the wrong take but thats the world we live in.  In this case its still the wrong take, but the fact that its not a white guy should at least open up the door to reason and waiting for facts before declaring it racism.  I think that's what is driving the reaction.

Will let the wrestler guy speak for himself if he thinks black people can't be racists.  I'm not sure what the latest definition of the word is...but I'd say for sure they can have hate in their heart based on race.
I dont think this is the case.  Sure some people are. But not all people or at least not myself.  Now Bad policing is an option.  But when bad policing is prevelant, you have to go up the chain.  Who is leading them?  Who is training them? Who is allowing this to persist?  I think moreoften than not the issues we see are systemic in nature and come from the top.  They enable and often promote bad behavior by officers, sometimes even force them to do these things. 

Not sure who the wrestler guy is you are referring to btw.  The whole can black people be "racists" is a whole other discussion but yes anyone regardless of race can be prejudice or discriminate based on race. 

Well sure.   The army gentleman  was listed in the article in the first two paragraphs as a black Latino.    The officers were not identified  by race.   The photo at top of the shows guiterrez who has been fired.   (Not officer cocker)  holding his taser on line nazario.  

The original post I responded  to said full stop racism. 

It is not "full stop" racism.    It implies nothing.

Now you should have not called the fired officer older and fat.

But I would like you to expand on your use of clearly dehumanizing  "older fatter" comments.   Do you think that's ok.

Perhaps you can try to use terms like more experienced, bigger.  Of the two officers where fired.
Of the two officers, he was the older, and the fatter.  I think medically speaking, he's obese, but man, that word doesn't seem very nice.  

Are you really going to pretend/ignore that you said his name was Gutierrez, so this wasn't racism?

I mean, it's been quoted.  

Of the two officers, he was the older, and the fatter.  I think medically speaking, he's obese, but man, that word doesn't seem very nice.  

Are you really going to pretend/ignore that you said his name was Gutierrez, so this wasn't racism?

No.  But in fact guitterez  is a poc.   Do you deny that?   And older and fatter is rude.

I do not see a lot of videos of white people that are pulled over being treated like this.  

I do see a lot of videos of Kens and Karens getting arrested for harrassing people, and they struggle and fight and refuse to be cuffed, and scream and wail, and never wind up getting shot.  

I'm not being flippant or argumentative here.  

I dont subscribe to the current nonsense that is CRT and the race grifting culture, but accordinh to that philosophy a latino cant really be racist since they dont hold all the systems of power. 

We might as well get used to these definitions if we keep letting them infiltrate schools. 

I do not see a lot of videos of white people that are pulled over being treated like this.  

I do see a lot of videos of Kens and Karens getting arrested for harrassing people, and they struggle and fight and refuse to be cuffed, and scream and wail, and never wind up getting shot.  

lol ok dude, I was going to do your research for you and provide google link to things like statistics around the number of unarmed white people shot and killed by police...but I'll leave you to your Kens and Karens narrative instead.

The videos don't exist because people like you don't care about them.  Maybe their just old, fat karens....who gives a ####.

lol ok dude, I was going to do your research for you and provide google link to things like statistics around the number of unarmed white people shot and killed by police...but I'll leave you to your Kens and Karens narrative instead.

The videos don't exist because people like you don't care about them.  Maybe their just old, fat karens....who gives a ####.
Surely the videos exist in the world where people unlike me care about them.  

I don't have full control over the media, I'm ashamed to say.  

Surely the videos exist in the world where people unlike me care about them.  

I don't have full control over the media, I'm ashamed to say.  
Or maybe you're comfortable with your head buried in the sand and calling other people racist or fat or Karens...and yes there are a lot of people like you and that's who your media caters to.

Search engines...great tools.  First link for me  Black Cop Shoots Unarmed White Man In Viral Video | NewsOne

People noticed.  That's why there was a civil war.
There was a Civil War because of slavery. But for 150 years since slavery, black people have received different, far worse treatment at the hands of police than white people as a general rule. And it wasn’t noticed during much of that time because, as I wrote, they were invisible. 

The Virginia pepper spray story will continue to get some play in the news, but I suspect it may be swallowed up by the Daunte Wright story in Minnesota, which unfortunately may result in further ugliness. 

PinkydaPimp said:
quick-hands said:
That's not racism.    Bad policing sure.  
so a police officer being a POC and him being Latino means racism definitely isnt at play?  just trying to understand your point here. 

What if the racism being referred to is systemic? 
Hollywood taught me that racism doesn't require the parties involved to be of different races:

1) Fred Sanford once tried to refuse the services of an African-American dentist, thinking he'd get inferior treatment compared to a white dentist. A very forward-facing episode.

2) The famous Boyz N The Hood racist cop scene (NSFW - language)

quick-hands said:
Would you say a white cop harassing a white guy in a truck is racism.
Somewhat different parameters ... but a white cop assuming that a white person doesn't belong in a black neighborhood, and thus assuming a pretext that the white person is up to no good, is not uncommon.

Hollywood taught me that racism doesn't require the parties involved to be of different races:

1) Fred Sanford once tried to refuse the services of an African-American dentist, thinking he'd get inferior treatment compared to a white dentist. A very forward-facing episode.

2) The famous Boyz N The Hood racist cop scene (NSFW - language)
Prejudice/discrimination and racism are two different things.  some would argue that you cant be racist if you arent in power. 

“Racism requires both prejudice and power. You may face prejudice. That’s not racism, because your race is in power. The criminal justice system favours white people, social institutions favour white people and white culture, and internalised prejudices attribute favourable traits to white people. White people are irrefutably in the place of power, so reverse racism cannot exist.”
Im torn on this topic and i get both sites.  But its definitely possible for a person of any race to discriminate against a person of another race.  Don't think anyone is arguing that.  We all have bias' and those can lead to prejudice if they go unchecked or unrecognized. 

my first reaction to the latest is - what did the person do wrong that the police had to resort to shooting? brandishing a weapon which is almost always the case? not doing what they're asked to do by police? 

police don't just go around shooting people 

my first reaction to the latest is - what did the person do wrong that the police had to resort to shooting? brandishing a weapon which is almost always the case? not doing what they're asked to do by police? 

police don't just go around shooting people 
One open warrant for a gun crime and awaiting trial for another gun crime. That guy makes one wrong move and he is risking getting shot. 

massraider said:

Because that doesn’t make news.  I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a white person shot any killed by a cop.  

Was the dude wanted for murder?  Was the girl in the car being kidnapped?  Was there an Uzi in the back seat?  I'm not getting why they just started blasting him when he ran.  Obviously he shouldn't have run, but why'd they shoot him?

ETA:  someone answered while I was posting.

Another town going to pay 6 figure settlement because a couple of fat, cosplaying racists like to play Call of Duty.

Officer told the veteran in his new car he was 'fixin to ride the lightning'. 
Is this a CoD reference?  I don't get that one.   :kicksrock:

Users who are viewing this thread