What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (4 Viewers)

Not that different from massraider having no knowledge of "Kens and Karens" getting shot by police.

Its amazing how some people spend thousands of hours on the internet (on this forum alone) but there still just complete unawareness of things happening or an inability to use search engines.

Doubly odd because I'm assured in other threads that MSM has all the news covered very well and its concerning that conservatives don't rely on these outlets.
You’re talking about radical leftist extremists. Not about liberals which is who @BladeRunnerwas referring to in his false and offensive comments. There is a huge difference. Liberals are not radical. 

Just watched the video. I agree with @whoknew that it's just tragic. The officer did appear to be genuine in her surprise at her error. But what an awful mistake. I am uncertain as to how she could not tell the difference. 

Hey man, I don't care how defunded police get,  no one is cutting "THIS IS YOUR GUN, THIS IS YOUR TASER" day from the academy.  
I did a thorough study of law enforcement training in MN ~15 years ago. Things could have changed, but like 80% of the training was tactical. 

You’re talking about radical leftist extremists. Not about liberals which is who @BladeRunnerwas referring to in his false and offensive comments. There is a huge difference. Liberals are not radical. 
I don't want to get caught up in whatever broad argument you're having with bladerunner....I was just responding to your comment about only white people can be racist.

I've actually seen somewhat honest discussion about this...that as Pinky put it earlier there is a line of thought that only a race in power can be racist.  Now I personally don't agree with that (and I'm not implying pinky does either)...but this is not just a position espoused by Antifa or whatever you call radical.

Not gonna do your homework for you, will let you decide what to investigate and believe.

Just watched the video. I agree with @whoknew that it's just tragic. The officer did appear to be genuine in her surprise at her error. But what an awful mistake. I am uncertain as to how she could not tell the difference. 
The intensity of the situation would seem to be the only explanation to your last question and fundamentally part of the equation for the large majority of what we watch on video from our kitchens.   Yes, an awful mistake. 

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
I don't want to get caught up in whatever broad argument you're having with bladerunner....I was just responding to your comment about only white people can be racist.

I've actually seen somewhat honest discussion about this...that as Pinky put it earlier there is a line of thought that only a race in power can be racist.  Now I personally don't agree with that (and I'm not implying pinky does either)...but this is not just a position espoused by Antifa or whatever you call radical.

Not gonna do your homework for you, will let you decide what to investigate and believe.
The people in power argument is not the same as the only white people argument. 

Anybody can be racist. But people in power tend to do more harm and thus deserve more attention. It’s not that complicated. 

The people in power argument is not the same as the only white people argument. 

Anybody can be racist. But people in power tend to do more harm and thus deserve more attention. It’s not that complicated. 
The argument is that whites are power.  Its why we don't talk about black supremacy or latino supremacy   

And I'm not asking for your definition, which btw I wholeheartedly agree with...we're talking about other peoples (they are on the left). 

Less than an hour later? Do you see the danger of making a snap judgment so quickly? 

By the way, I’m not sure you were wrong to begin with. Maybe given the circumstances, it was a justifiable shooting. Maybe it was an awful mistake. Maybe it was manslaughter. I really have no idea. Isn’t it wise to play these things out? 
You're the one that constantly jumps into a thread declaring what is racist, what is sexist, and other nonsense before letting anything play out.  You shouldn't be preaching to anyone

This is was my reaction too.  But I panic when I'm cooking in the kitchen so I can only imagine how poor I would be at life or death situations and having to make split second decisions. 

• Smile
Its unclear to me if you are making a point.  Is this number significant?
Police make about 10,000,000 arrests a year.   They  shoot about 35 unarmed  whites  a year.    There is not an epidemic  of cops killing anybody.   It's a insanely difficult job.
Who used the word "epidemic"?  Who said that?  I know I didnt.  Why are you telling me this?  It feels like you are trying to play a victim card here, no?

This is was my reaction too.  But I panic when I'm cooking in the kitchen so I can only imagine how poor I would be at life or death situations and having to make split second decisions. 
Tiger jammed on the gas instead of the brake. 

There are countless videos on the internet of people doing the wrong thing in all sorts of situations. 

The kitchen comment is something I can relate to. If I drop my phone my instinct is to try and catch the fall with my foot. I am lucky that knife handles are usually heavier than knife blades. 

An ACCIDENTAL discharge is when something is wrong with the gun and it goes off unintentionally A NEGLIGENT discharge is when you're being a ####### with an otherwise mechanically sound gun and it goes off unintentionally BIG BIG difference.
An accidental discharge can be caused by parts failure, poor design [see: drop safety] or lack of maintenance, hangfire, etc. A negligent discharge is caused 100% by user error, and is not a design fault or failure of the firearm itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thinking
Who used the word "epidemic"?  Who said that?  I know I didnt.  Why are you telling me this?  It feels like you are trying to play a victim card here, no?
You said another Blackman killed by cops.   Like it happens all the time.   It doesn't,  its extremely rare.

I'm just using numbers before you asked me to prove it's extremely  rare.

I'm not a cop.   Not sure what you are feeling or how a victim card is being played.   You might be on the watch for it.    

I'm only a victim of my own self sabotage.

Lawyers - A police is granted some leniency in this instance, correct?  Based on what we know at the moment and understanding things can change. She obviously can’t be a cop any more, she gets jail time, but at a much lesser extent. Is this right?

You said another Blackman killed by cops.   Like it happens all the time.   It doesn't,  its extremely rare.

I'm not a cop.   Not sure what you are feeling or how a victim card is being played.   You might be on the watch for it.    

Im just going to place this here: https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/

Whether it is rare or not a life is a life and the reality is police violence against blacks is disproportionate.  And its a problem.  Spin it however you like. 

This is going to be very jurisdiction and case circumstance specific. 
I figured.

Accidental shooting by a cop in a situation that is heated seems like jail time but wasn’t sure how much leeway a cop gets. 

Tragic situation and not like there’s a time when this would ever not be awful. But, In Minneapolis area right now...jeeesh. 

Whether it is rare or not a life is a life and the reality is police violence against blacks is disproportionate.  And its a problem.  Spin it however you like. 
Stats like this are just stupid.

Black people were 28% of those killed by police in 2020 despite being only 13% of the population.
What % of arrests are they? 

What % of arrests for violent offenses are they?

I figured.

Accidental shooting by a cop in a situation that is heated seems like jail time but wasn’t sure how much leeway a cop gets. 

Tragic situation and not like there’s a time when this would ever not be awful. But, In Minneapolis area right now...jeeesh. 
I think it's slamdunk manslaughter.  

You know what would have saved this kid from being shot?  Fewer guns on the street = less fear from cops that they'll be shot.  And maybe, just maybe... cops not even having firearms loaded and ready all the time.  You know, like what they do in other countries.  Ugh.

You know what would have saved this kid from being shot?  Fewer guns on the street = less fear from cops that they'll be shot.  And maybe, just maybe... cops not even having firearms loaded and ready all the time.  You know, like what they do in other countries.  Ugh.
Or him accepting  being arrested.   Cuz your solution is land of the fairies.

Hate to tell you but the criminals will always have access to guns.  Do I like it?  No.  But lets not be naive here.  

You are assuming the correct denominator in this analysis is number of blacks.  I would argue it is number of police interactions with blacks.  Now the next argument is whether the number of black interactions is unfairly high relative to whites.  I would argue that yes it is.  Too much profiling done, resulting in too many interactions with the too many chances for mistakes.  I also think blacks react differently with police based on their fear of police.  The whole thing sucks.  Too many laws and too many cops.  Do cars really need to be registered?  Do people really need to be pulled over for a broken tail light or tag light?  Do cops really need to search the car if they smell a hint of weed?  We are over-policing. and it disproportionately impacts poor people and minorities.

What I said sarcastically was "Just another Black guy who got himself killed at the hands of police".  However, you took my factual post and spun it into some math based narrative that it isn't a big deal ... cause "its extremely rare".

Any positive number of deaths from police is bad

Or him accepting  being arrested.   Cuz your solution is land of the fairies.
You mean him accepting being cuffed and on the street with a knee on his neck?  Gasping for air?

Oh wait - thats extremely rare.

You are assuming the correct denominator in this analysis is number of blacks.  I would argue it is number of police interactions with blacks.  Now the next argument is whether the number of black interactions is unfairly high relative to whites.  I would argue that yes it is.  Too much profiling done, resulting in too many interactions with the too many chances for mistakes.  I also think blacks react differently with police based on their fear of police.  The whole thing sucks.  Too many laws and too many cops.  Do cars really need to be registered?  Do people really need to be pulled over for a broken tail light or tag light?  Do cops really need to search the car if they smell a hint of weed?  We are over-policing. and it disproportionately impacts poor people and minorities.
This is all quite reasonable. 
But what is the solution? Whenever proposals are offered they inevitably debated as “pro-police” or “anti-police”, and everybody jumps into their liberal vs conservative zone. And nothing gets done. 

I hear you but what does being poor or minority have to do with broken tail lights or not having correct registration?  I grew up poor in a bad area with a crappy car but made sure things were in working order and always kept my license and registration up to date.  That takes very little effort...it is only once a year or less for registration.

I do think police should only pull people over for acts like speeding, running stops sign, things that endanger others but people should be able to follow simple rules of society.

I know a few police officers, they say the term "profiling" is only used in politics and media, not on the job.  My bIL is a Hispanic cop, he said when they are working in a all Mexican. all black, or all white area those are the people who live there. Thus the interactions.   They are not profiling.

Anyway reading the article it was a female cop who said she meant to tase not shoot and her body cam video showed everything.     Sad situation.

If the guy goes to court, there isn’t a active warrant for his arrest.  Where does that factor into things? That most certainly doesn’t mean he deserved to die, but he was running also.  Hate to break it to people, but they would do the same thing if I ran also.  

If the guy goes to court, there isn’t a active warrant for his arrest.  Where does that factor into things? That most certainly doesn’t mean he deserved to die, but he was running also.  Hate to break it to people, but they would do the same thing if I ran also.  
Maybe its time we take the role of judge and executioner away from the police.

If you pose an immediate threat to the officer or others - then I am in favor of the officer using deadly force.  If you are running from the law because you don't want to go to jail - then I am opposed to the police using deadly force - on anyone.

What a horrible, tragic mistake to grab the wrong weapon.  Also, what a horrible, tragic mistake to, as a person on trial for a weapons crime, to jump back into your car when being questioned by officers.

Users who are viewing this thread