What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (8 Viewers)

People want to make this a race issue but the reality is that the job trains cops to devalue the lives of suspected criminals.

How many black men wearing suits have been killed by cops?
Another reality is that many cops will be far more likely to suspect that a black man is a criminal and not make negative inferences about white people.

A few questions and comments about this... trying to be objective here. We don't know all of the details.

6. We should view this as cop shoots and kills unarmed, non-violent man, not white cop shoots and kills unarmed, non-violent black man.
Did you see the video from a couple of months ago where a white cop in south carolina pulled over a black guy and asked him to get his drivers license, and when the black guy reached in his car for his wallet, the police officer, clearly terrified, shoots the guy a number of times?

1. I don't necessarly think that the white cop is "racist." I don't know anything about him, but I have no evidence that he is.

2. That being said, there is no doubt in my mind that if it was a white guy, dressed the exact same way, that he pulls over, and the white guy behaves the exact same way, the police officer doesn't get frightened and shoot.

I can't say what the "root" of the issue is, but I believe it to my core. And that's why it matters what the races are here.
So it's impossible for you to look at any racial interaction with police objectively? That seems so odd.
I think that your statement is a stretch.

I looked at that particular interaction, I saw how that police officer acted. I made a judgment based on my personal experience with people; what I've seen, and what I've experienced. Nothing scientific there.

If you think that this police officer would have acted the same way with a white guy (who dressed and acted identically to the black guy), than we will simply have to agree to disagree. Oh, sure, I could use colorful discription of your decisiom-making comparable to your rediculous statement about me. But there is no need.

I will say this, though: If you truly believe he would have shot a white guy in the same situation, than that alone shows the incredible racial devide in this country. I'd bet that a significant portion of black america agrees with me. If I'm right, and if a significant portion of white america agrees with you, then we haven't evolved as a country since the OJ virdict was read.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few questions and comments about this... trying to be objective here. We don't know all of the details.

6. We should view this as cop shoots and kills unarmed, non-violent man, not white cop shoots and kills unarmed, non-violent black man.
Did you see the video from a couple of months ago where a white cop in south carolina pulled over a black guy and asked him to get his drivers license, and when the black guy reached in his car for his wallet, the police officer, clearly terrified, shoots the guy a number of times?

1. I don't necessarly think that the white cop is "racist." I don't know anything about him, but I have no evidence that he is.

2. That being said, there is no doubt in my mind that if it was a white guy, dressed the exact same way, that he pulls over, and the white guy behaves the exact same way, the police officer doesn't get frightened and shoot.

I can't say what the "root" of the issue is, but I believe it to my core. And that's why it matters what the races are here.
:goodposting:
To be fair don't black people commit more gun crimes than others....I apologize if this is not correct
I don't know how much higher percentage of black people commit gun crimes than white people, but many of them actively TRY to portray themselves as dangerous vs. white people who act nice but are just as dangerous.

If you think that this police officer would have acted the same way with a white guy (who dressed and acted identically to the black guy), than we will simply have to agree to disagree.
Of course not - black people are scary. Doesn't make someone racist because they are intimidated.

Could it simply be that some of these killings happen because there are cops who aren't mentally prepared to face some of the hairier situations cops sometimes need to face? They panic and dudes end up getting shot?

People want to make this a race issue but the reality is that the job trains cops to devalue the lives of suspected criminals.

Another reality is that many cops will be far more likely to suspect that a black man is a criminal and not make negative inferences about white people.
It's easy to say "don't be any more afraid of black people than you are of white people" but that's very difficult to practice when the media (TV, movies, news) bombards us with images of dangerous black men.

The cop should be tried for murder and the fellow cops who lied on the police report saying CPR and first aid was given when obviously was not should be tried for manslaughter.
Why not accessory to murder? They are attempting to help someone cover up a murder after all.

I think the attempted cover-up bears a department-wide investigation.

If you think that this police officer would have acted the same way with a white guy (who dressed and acted identically to the black guy), than we will simply have to agree to disagree.
Of course not - black people are scary. Doesn't make someone racist because they are intimidated.
I can't tell if you are kidding. But regardless, I stated clearly that I have no evidence that this officer was "racist." (whatever that means). I have no idea what your are getting at with your first sentence, but I agree with your second sentence.

Could it simply be that some of these killings happen because there are cops who aren't mentally prepared to face some of the hairier situations cops sometimes need to face? They panic and dudes end up getting shot?
I think that is a lot of it, and why cops need better training, and fewer guns, until they are properly trained in how to handle difficult situations.

High praise for the guy filming it. Gutsy move. I can't believe the cops didn't spot him. I wonder what the result is without the footage? The cop gets away clean, right? Or is the fact he was shot in the back from a distance going to come out in an autopsy and actually be enough to bring action?
This is what I thought. Exactly.

I think that is a lot of it, and why cops need better training, and fewer guns, until they are properly trained in how to handle difficult situations.
Issue each of them a German Shepard and let the dog do the dirty work. The criminals do not like the dog.

It's easy to say "don't be any more afraid of black people than you are of white people" but that's very difficult to practice when the media (TV, movies, news) bombards us with images of dangerous black men.
I don't consider myself racist, but I do consider the above statement to be one of the biggest pieces of PC garbage I have ever read here.

How many cops in high profile cases have ended up doing life in prison?

There's your answer. When this guy, the guy in Alabama, the guy in Celveland, the guy in New York, the cops who tased the man in front of his family, the cops who beat the homeless guy to death, the cop who shot a guy for following orders, are all doing real, hard time, then maybe panic does not equal kill in their minds.

If our system ever evolves to where cops can't kill with impunity things will change. As of today, there is little to no punishment for a policeman killing or seriously injuring civilians.

So it's impossible for you to look at any racial interaction with police objectively? That seems so odd.

I looked at that particular interaction, I saw how that police officer acted. I made a judgment based on my personal experience with people; what I've seen, and what I've experienced. Nothing scientific there.

If you think that this police officer would have acted the same way with a white guy (who dressed and acted identically to the black guy), than we will simply have to agree to disagree. Oh, sure, I could use colorful discription of your decisiom-making comparable to your rediculous statement about me. But there is no need.

I will say this, though: If you truly believe he would have shot a white guy in the same situation, than that alone shows the incredible racial devide in this country. I'd bet that a significant portion of black america agrees with me. If I'm right, and if a significant portion of white america agrees with you, then we haven't evolved as a country since the OJ virdict was read.
:shrug:

I try not to jump to conclusions without evidence. I find it easier to be objective that way. There are good cops and bad cops, good citizens and bad. I don't carry a chip either way.

How many cops in high profile cases have ended up doing life in prison?There's your answer. When this guy, the guy in Alabama, the guy in Celveland, the guy in New York, the cops who tased the man in front of his family, the cops who beat the homeless guy to death, the cop who shot a guy for following orders, are all doing real, hard time, then maybe panic does not equal kill in their minds.

If our system ever evolves to where cops can't kill with impunity things will change. As of today, there is little to no punishment for a policeman killing or seriously injuring civilians.
He's being charged with murder. What are proposing to do instead? Lynch him?

How is this not a racist response? Your second paragraph is almost a textbook definition of prejudice and racism. Is it somehow not racism as long as your prejudism is not slanted negatively towards blacks?It amazes me how many people ASSume that all white people see blacks as more dangerous, inferior, etc. I wouldn't mind if you spoke for yourself, but please don't ascribe feelings and tendencies to other people without any evidence.

For now, all we know is that this appears to be a case of an officer wrongly using deadly force. Can we keep race out of it until there is actual proof of racism, or a reasonable suspicion of it? If we truly want to have a colorblind society don't we have to operate that way, all of us?

Last edited:
Scoresman said:
I would say so.

It's turning into a very Orwellian world out there.
If the recent revelation that the DEA has been bulk collecting international phone records for almost 3 decades is any indication, it might be more accurate to say "We're starting to realize how very Orwellian our world is."

In regard to police/community relations, I don't think things have drastically changed in the last 5-10 years, rather, we now have a much greater chance of bad behavior being recorded and shown to the world.

jonessed said:
Clifford said:
Scoresman said:
How many cops in high profile cases have ended up doing life in prison?There's your answer. When this guy, the guy in Alabama, the guy in Celveland, the guy in New York, the cops who tased the man in front of his family, the cops who beat the homeless guy to death, the cop who shot a guy for following orders, are all doing real, hard time, then maybe panic does not equal kill in their minds.

Don't be ridiculous on purpose, please.

The most disgusting thing to me is how all the cops were acting like they were doing business as usual. Evil freaking people.

CBusAlex said:
Scoresman said:
If you turn the audio way up on the video, you can hear the cop saying "Don't stand so close to me". He was obviously nervous.
Bull####. If he was that nervous, he would have called in an SOS.
He must have thought every little thing he does is magic and therefore would have gotten away with it.

The dead guy obviously had a deathwish, pretty sure there has to be an invisible gun involved. Maybe that's too much information, but, eventually the truth hits everybody.

BobbyLayne said:
Henry Ford said:
Ilov80s said:
High praise for the guy filming it. Gutsy move. I can't believe the cops didn't spot him. I wonder what the result is without the footage? The cop gets away clean, right? Or is the fact he was shot in the back from a distance going to come out in an autopsy and actually be enough to bring action?
"Clean"? He probably gets a medal without the video for meritorious service in the face of danger.
209 shoots over the last five years in SC. 100% of the time is was good shoot and deemed a justifiable homicide, e.g, zero prosecutions.

I don't think that statistic makes SC unique.
I don't ever want to play the part of a statistic on a government chart

cstu said:
njherdfan said:
cstu said:

Sure. Agreed. I think if more white people felt like it was ok to admit that they are uncomfortable around black people -- for a variety of reasons not based on "racism" (because they never had the opportunity to socialize in circles that included black folks; because they don't have close black friends, acquantances or co-workers, or because they don't otherwise have a chance to interact with black folks), than we'd be off to a nice start in fixing things.

Good thing the guy was running away instead of actively charging/threatening the cop here. With how inaccurate that cop was when shooting, if the guy was actually a threat he was doomed. Maybe that was his defense "I know I suck at shooting, so this was my only chance in case the guy turned around and charged me, I needed to get a good 10-12 clean shots of to have a chance to hit him".

RedmondLonghorn said:
cstu said:
njherdfan said:
cstu said:

I don't consider myself racist, but I do consider the above statement to be one of the biggest pieces of PC garbage I have ever read here.
No, I think he's onto something. Not necessarily blaming it on the media. But, as a species, we are less comfortable being around what we are not familiar with. I'm a white guy from Boston, but I don't think I'd be all that comfortable hanging in Southie. It's not where I'm from and not the culture I know. Similarly, I'd probably be pretty uncomfortable hanging with a bunch of biker-dudes (not a "gang" -- just guys that like to ride Harleys or whatever). So it isn't a stretch to say that a white guy with little experience with having relationships with black people will have more difficult interactions with them.

Good thing the guy was running away instead of actively charging/threatening the cop here. With how inaccurate that cop was when shooting, if the guy was actually a threat he was doomed. Maybe that was his defense "I know I suck at shooting, so this was my only chance in case the guy turned around and charged me, I needed to get a good 10-12 clean shots of to have a chance to hit him".
I know you're joking, but I believe the guy was struck 5 times, 4 in the back and once in the ear. The officer kept firing until he went down, not because he was missing.

General Tso said:
Sweet J said:
jonessed said:
Sweet J said:
Jeff Haseley said:

How is this not a racist response? Your second paragraph is almost a textbook definition of prejudice and racism. Is it somehow not racism as long as your prejudism is not slanted negatively towards blacks?It amazes me how many people ASSume that all white people see blacks as more dangerous, inferior, etc. I wouldn't mind if you spoke for yourself, but please don't ascribe feelings and tendencies to other people without any evidence.

For now, all we know is that this appears to be a case of an officer wrongly using deadly force. Can we keep race out of it until there is actual proof of racism, or a reasonable suspicion of it? If we truly want to have a colorblind society don't we have to operate that way, all of us?
I've worked very hard in this thread not to blame poor decision-making on racism. I'm getting tired of people getting their pants in a bunch because someone disagrees with them. I get it: you think I'm a racist because I think a cop (possibly a good cop and a non-racist (whatever that means) cop made a horrible decision in the line of duty. I think (I don't know, and I have no evidence) that race likely played a part in such a horrible decision (i.e., I question whether he would have been so terrified if it was a normal looking white guy who went for his wallet.) So fine, you think I'm a racist. Whatever, man.

1:27 p.m.: At a news conference at North Charleston City Hall about the shooting of Walter Scott, Mayor Keith Summey told reporters Wednesday that the city has ordered an additional 150 body cameras "so every officer on the street" in the city will have one. That is in addition to 101 body cameras already ordered, he said.

General Tso said:
Sweet J said:
jonessed said:
Sweet J said:
Jeff Haseley said:

I've worked very hard in this thread not to blame poor decision-making on racism.
You haven't worked hard enough:
I'm not calling you a racist, just pointing out the prejudism in what you said.

jonessed said:
Clifford said:
Scoresman said:

No it's the right charge. I will wait for conviction and sentencing. Just saying we are not there yet. We will see what happens. As of yet, none of above cops have been convicted.

General Tso said:
Sweet J said:
jonessed said:
Sweet J said:
Jeff Haseley said:

I've worked very hard in this thread not to blame poor decision-making on racism.
You haven't worked hard enough:
I'm not calling you a racist, just pointing out the prejudism in what you said.
I started with this:

In my opinion, the word "racist" gets thrown around entirely too much, by folks of all color. I don't even know what that word means anymore.

But I do believe that humans act differently around cultures that they aren't familiar with. One of those ways of acting differently is being fearful. Another is being aggressive (or passive, or quiet, or loud). A black guy who has had very little interactions with white america will be way out of his element if he is plopped down in the middle of a community that is 98% white. And vice versa. It's why in lunchrooms across the country, you have perfectly nice, perfectly non-racist white kids and black kids that sit with their own race. And yes, if a white cop has very little experience with interacting with black folks, including no close black friends or family members or neighbor or work buddies, then yeah, it makes sense to me that he'd kind of freak out if a black guy makes a sudden movement during a very tense and scary traffic stop (maybe all traffic stops are tense and scary).

This doesn't mean the guy is racist. What it does mean is that I have NO OTHER EXPLANATION for him freaking out like that. Knowing what I know about human nature, I made assumptions. You may think that they are unwarranted. But that doesn't make them racist (would it be helpful if I stated I believe it works both ways? i.e., a black cop shooting a white guy).

Last edited by a moderator:
General Tso said:
The Commish said:
General Tso said:
Sinn Fein said:
jon_mx said:
I hate the implication that because one incident happens one way, it somehow casts light on what happened in other cases. Cops face real danger on a daily basis and act appropriately in some cases. In some cases the circumstances are very grey where it is somewhat justifiable. And in other cases, the cop was completely out of line and should be charged with a crime. Nothing which happened here means anything to any of the other recent cases and to imply it does just shows ignorant bias.
:shrug: What incidents like this one in particular show - is how this was originally reported, sans video, and how the narrative shifted with the disclosure of the video. It certainly makes people think about how other incidents were reported, and wonder how many would have been reported differently if there had been video.
How did the narrative change exactly? The guy was shot in the back. That truth comes out with or without a video. It's undeniable forensic evidence that is easily and quickly obtained. For all of you insinuating this is a common occurrence, can you cite any cases where a policeman has shot someone in the back and been excused for it?
Cop reported the guy had his taser.....the taser that was laying at his (cops)...the taser he went back to get and threw down beside the body. There's a significant problem with a crime scene where a cop is claiming the perp has his taser and the taser is 10-15 yards away from a dead body. The last part is a typical FFA strawman, so I didn't feel the need to address.
Ok. Thanks for clarifying. That does raise an interesting question. Would the cop have been excused if he shot the guy in the back while he was running away with his taser? I think you can make a good argument that the cop would have been excused on the grounds that he was fearful the guy would turn around and shoot him with his taser.Another argument for body cameras. Please please make this happen.
:goodposting:

Sweet J said:
Jeff Haseley said:

1. I'm not saying it's racism

2. but I'm 100% convinced it was racism

I am not sure what the downside is to cameras. Seems a good way to protect honest cops.
The cost, and privacy concerns with regard to how citizens are recorded and where the video is stored. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives assuming the cost can be overcome by local municipalities.

I am not sure what the downside is to cameras. Seems a good way to protect honest cops.
Initial cost of hardware, software, and storage capacity.

Time to write and adopt directives and protocols, considering also open records matters and the potentially crippling requests for video.

That aside this is a clear, and rapidly accelerating trend that will be more or less standard practice in three years. It is also worth noting that several police departments have lead the way on this, long before any public outcry. The products were created by, primarily, Tazer International and a few others, with product development help from police departments. Most Departments do want to monitor and document their officer's behavior. The most common reason for this being that routinely citizens lie and file complaints that are wholly unjustified and the Departments themselves need to buttress the actions of their Officers with documentation. That it will also document police misconduct, when it occurs, is viewed as a positive by most Departments I know as the command structures of most Departments are constantly seeking ways to break the "Thin Blue Line" mentality. They truly want to stem abuses and to change the culture of law enforcement.

Users who are viewing this thread