What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baltimore: The Next Ferguson? (1 Viewer)

You spend 75 years creating a victim subclass, constantly race-bait and stoke their anger, give them a free "purge night", delegitimize the Justice system, demoralize the police force... I mean, this was about as predictable as a horse winning the Preakness.

Last edited:
You spend 75 years creating a victim subclass, constantly race-bait and stoke their anger, give them a free "purge night", delegitimize the Justice system, demoralize the police force... I mean, this was about as predictable as a horse winning the Preakness.
:lmao: wow

ETA: The 75 years...holy ####. That long?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:00 PM, said:Yeah, lets continue to blame the police. :lmao:
I didn't before (not for gang deaths) but now I'm starting to wonder. Ever since the indictment, police have been threatening that they're not going to be as vigilant. Could they be letting things go here, in order to demonstrate what happens if the rules come down too hard on them?

I hope that's not the case. But if it is the mayor should come down hard and fire some of them. If the current police aren't willing to do their jobs, then find somebody who will.

Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:00 PM, said:

Yeah, lets continue to blame the police. :lmao:
I didn't before (not for gang deaths) but now I'm starting to wonder. Ever since the indictment, police have been threatening that they're not going to be as vigilant. Could they be letting things go here, in order to demonstrate what happens if the rules come down too hard on them?I hope that's not the case. But if it is the mayor should come down hard and fire some of them. If the current police aren't willing to do their jobs, then find somebody who will.
The police aren't pulling the triggers. Make that argument when arrests plummet like they did in NY a couple of months ago. Maybe they are, I haven't checked.

Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:00 PM, said:Yeah, lets continue to blame the police. :lmao:
I didn't before (not for gang deaths) but now I'm starting to wonder. Ever since the indictment, police have been threatening that they're not going to be as vigilant. Could they be letting things go here, in order to demonstrate what happens if the rules come down too hard on them?

I hope that's not the case. But if it is the mayor should come down hard and fire some of them. If the current police aren't willing to do their jobs, then find somebody who will.
Why would anyone want to be a policeman in a cesspool like Baltimore? You don't have the support of the mayor, the DA or the community. You are supposed to risk your life for that? No thanks.

Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:26 PM, said:
timschochet, on 19 May 2015 - 6:20 PM, said:
Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:00 PM, said:Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:00 PM, said:Yeah, lets continue to blame the police. :lmao:

Why would anyone want to be a policeman in a cesspool like Baltimore? You don't have the support of the mayor, the DA or the community. You are supposed to risk your life for that? No thanks.
Let's be clear what you're saying here. Do you believe the 6 officers who were arrested for the death of Gray deserve the support of the mayor, the DA, and the community?

Where do you live again? And how much time have you spent in Baltimore? Or is this just a tv/message board exercise for you? Because youre really dumb and stuff and should probably give the i know things on the internet routine a rest.

Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:00 PM, said:

I didn't before (not for gang deaths) but now I'm starting to wonder. Ever since the indictment, police have been threatening that they're not going to be as vigilant. Could they be letting things go here, in order to demonstrate what happens if the rules come down too hard on them?I hope that's not the case. But if it is the mayor should come down hard and fire some of them. If the current police aren't willing to do their jobs, then find somebody who will.
No ####. Screw that. The mayor, the DA, and the community threw the whole department under the bus for the mistakes of a few. It's not worth it. Do what you have to and go home safe.

Some of them are actually from Baltimore and love their city and would like to try to help make it a better place. Some who get into police actually think in those terms. Granted, they're not from Huckleberryville, Nowhere, so maybe they aren't quite properly enlightened.

Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:00 PM, said:Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:00 PM, said:Yeah, lets continue to blame the police. :lmao:

Let's be clear what you're saying here. Do you believe the 6 officers who were arrested for the death of Gray deserve the support of the mayor, the DA, and the community?
I'm not sure about those 6 cops because I don't know exactly what happened to Gray. I'm talking about rest of the cops that now have to go to work in one of the most dangerous cities in the country and aren't sure they will have the benefit of the doubt when some low life claims excessive force.

Where do you live again? And how much time have you spent in Baltimore? Or is this just a tv/message board exercise for you? Because youre really dumb and stuff and should probably give the i know things on the internet routine a rest.
Yeah, it's real controversial calling Baltimore a dump. Bad schools, high unemployment and violence. But I will admit I don't the place as well as someone who scores their hard drugs there. :thumbup:

Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:00 PM, said:Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:00 PM, said:

I'm not sure about those 6 cops because I don't know exactly what happened to Gray. I'm talking about rest of the cops that now have to go to work in one of the most dangerous cities in the country and aren't sure they will have the benefit of the doubt when some low life claims excessive force.
Since 2006, 67 people have died in encounters with the Baltimore Police. 2 cops were indicted in all of those incidents.

From another outstanding piece of journalism recently published in The Sun

Yeah, it's real controversial calling Baltimore a dump. Bad schools, high unemployment and violence. But I will admit I don't the place as well as someone who scores their hard drugs there. :thumbup:
Baltimore is bigger than Toledo gomer. The area in question is pretty small. And haven't scored drugs there in 15 years, but keep up the good work.

The_Man said:
Why the violence?
Baltimore is 65% black. Every city with that black percentage has a lot of violence.
Did you suffer a lot of head trauma as a child?
So no denial on the substance? Prove me wrong if you can.
Detroit, MI 713,777 1 84.3 1 82.7 83 1.6

Jackson, MS 173,514 2 80.1 2 79.4 242 0.7

Miami Gardens, FL 107,167 3 77.9 3 76.3 91 1.6

Birmingham, AL 212,237 4 74.0 4 73.4 257 0.6

Baltimore, MD 620,961 5 65.1 5 63.7 134 1.3

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_large_African-American_populations

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/top-lists/highest-murder-rate-cities/#

Facts be racist yo.

Dr Oadi said:
The_Man said:
Why the violence?
Baltimore is 65% black. Every city with that black percentage has a lot of violence.
Did you suffer a lot of head trauma as a child?
Detroit, MI 713,777 1 84.3 1 82.7 83 1.6Jackson, MS 173,514 2 80.1 2 79.4 242 0.7

Miami Gardens, FL 107,167 3 77.9 3 76.3 91 1.6

Birmingham, AL 212,237 4 74.0 4 73.4 257 0.6

Baltimore, MD 620,961 5 65.1 5 63.7 134 1.3

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_large_African-American_populations

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/top-lists/highest-murder-rate-cities/#

Facts be racist yo.
The fact isn't the issue. It's the crass disregard of history, context, humanity, and I don't know, a brain, that got my attention.

Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:00 PM, said:Hang 10, on 19 May 2015 - 6:00 PM, said:

Since 2006, 67 people have died in encounters with the Baltimore Police. 2 cops were indicted in all of those incidents.

From another outstanding piece of journalism recently published in The Sun
I'd say recent events may have given the officers reason to doubt.

Baltimore is bigger than Toledo gomer. The area in question is pretty small. And haven't scored drugs there in 15 years, but keep up the good work.
Toledo? Did you mean to quote me because your post doesn't really seem related anything I've said.

Hang 10, I'm not going to say that your argument doesn't have a certain amount of credibility. It does. But the problem, as I see it, is that the anger of the police is centered on the indictment of the 6 officers, and they absolutely should have been indicted. Unless you're suggesting that we as a society should turn our backs when police are caught doing bad stuff, what other choice is there?

Hang 10, I'm not going to say that your argument doesn't have a certain amount of credibility. It does. But the problem, as I see it, is that the anger of the police is centered on the indictment of the 6 officers, and they absolutely should have been indicted. Unless you're suggesting that we as a society should turn our backs when police are caught doing bad stuff, what other choice is there?
I have no problem with indicting cops who commit crimes but the honest officers need even more support in a climate like this, not less. Seems like a hard job just became impossible.

Olaf, on 19 May 2015 - 7:44 PM, said:
timschochet, on 19 May 2015 - 7:00 PM, said:Dr. Oadi and Olaf: you don't need to compete with each other as to who can make more racist comments. There's enough hoods for both of you.
That's the problem with discussions that touch on race. There are always people who either mentally or emotionally cant deal with verifiable facts so they name call or scream "Racist" as a means of coping. You pretend to be an intellectual, but name calling as a means of turning attention away from a verifiable fact in not very intellectual.

I'll tell you what, I'll pose the same challenge to you that I did Apple Jack, but we'll put stakes on it. If you can find me a city with a black population of 65% or greater that has a low crime rate, I'll leave this board forever. But if you can't, then you have to leave this board forever. I'll give you until midnight tomorrow, and we'll let the good people of this thread decide what constitutes a low crime rate for this exercise.

“Black crime is the elephant in the room” he said, encouraging lawmakers to look instead at “transforming black underclass subculture behavior."
First off, I disrespectfully decline your offer.

Second, I would guess Baldwin Hills, CA which is 78% black, has a pretty low crime rate. It's a very wealthy neighborhood.

Dr. Oadi and Olaf: you don't need to compete with each other as to who can make more racist comments. There's enough hoods for both of you.
That's the problem with discussions that touch on race. There are always people who either mentally or emotionally cant deal with verifiable facts so they name call or scream "Racist" as a means of coping. You pretend to be an intellectual, but name calling as a means of turning attention away from a verifiable fact in not very intellectual.

I'll tell you what, I'll pose the same challenge to you that I did Apple Jack, but we'll put stakes on it. If you can find me a city with a black population of 65% or greater that has a low crime rate, I'll leave this board forever. But if you can't, then you have to leave this board forever. I'll give you until midnight tomorrow, and we'll let the good people of this thread decide what constitutes a low crime rate for this exercise.

Black crime is the elephant in the room he said, encouraging lawmakers to look instead at transforming black underclass subculture behavior."
I admire your bravery. Good luck with it. You'll definitely need it in here.If blacks are going to continue being insistent on segregating statistics and issues to fit their political agenda, then in fairness they shouldn't have any problems when statistics like these are presented along racial lines. When everything is seen in black and white, you can't selectively pull the race card when some of the stats don't look all that flattering. Personally I wish we'd all stop looking at the world through the racial lens, but I've resigned myself to the unfortunate reality that this isn't going to change anytime soon. So we'll all have to engage in some very uncomfortable discussions in the coming years on many different issues.

Last edited:
General Tso, on 19 May 2015 - 8:15 PM, said:
timschochet, on 19 May 2015 - 7:00 PM, said:Dr. Oadi and Olaf: you don't need to compete with each other as to who can make more racist comments. There's enough hoods for both of you.

“Black crime is the elephant in the room” he said, encouraging lawmakers to look instead at “transforming black underclass subculture behavior."
I admire your bravery, and honesty. Good luck with it. You'll definitely need it in here.But if blacks are going to continue being insistent on segregating statistics and issues to fit their political agenda, then in fairness they shouldn't have any problems when statistics like these are presented along racial lines. When everything is seen in black and white, you can't selectively pull the race card when some of the stats don't look all that flattering.
Sad General Tso. There is nothing to admire about Olaf's comments.

It's no secret that most black areas have high crime rates, especially in the inner cities. But Olaf and people like him have no interest in the history or circumstances that has caused this to be. I know that YOU do, because you have studied the Moynihan Report, among other things. I may disagree with you quite a bit on proposed solutions, but I don't regard you as a racist at all. Olaf and people like him would have us believe that race is the distinguishing factor here. Please don't give him credibility by praising his "bravery".

General Tso, on 19 May 2015 - 8:15 PM, said:

timschochet, on 19 May 2015 - 7:00 PM, said:

Dr. Oadi and Olaf: you don't need to compete with each other as to who can make more racist comments. There's enough hoods for both of you.

I admire your bravery, and honesty. Good luck with it. You'll definitely need it in here.But if blacks are going to continue being insistent on segregating statistics and issues to fit their political agenda, then in fairness they shouldn't have any problems when statistics like these are presented along racial lines. When everything is seen in black and white, you can't selectively pull the race card when some of the stats don't look all that flattering.
Sad General Tso. There is nothing to admire about Olaf's comments.It's no secret that most black areas have high crime rates, especially in the inner cities. But Olaf and people like him have no interest in the history or circumstances that has caused this to be. I know that YOU do, because you have studied the Moynihan Report, among other things. I may disagree with you quite a bit on proposed solutions, but I don't regard you as a racist at all. Olaf and people like him would have us believe that race is the distinguishing factor here. Please don't give him credibility by praising his "bravery".
I have to admit, I don't know Olaf from a hole in the wall. I realize it's dangerous area trudging into such discussions about racism these days, and all I meant to convey was that I for one appreciate a dialogue that begins with openness and honesty, and even a little bit of bravery. I think most people in here are really well intentioned, and I also believe in the power of communication.By the way Tim - you need to weed out your email box. It's full and not accepting new pm's.

The entire nation of Burkina Faso, which I assume we can all agree is more than 65% black, has exceptionally low crime rates. Pick a city. And then leave forever.

Some of them are actually from Baltimore and love their city and would like to try to help make it a better place. Some who get into police actually think in those terms. Granted, they're not from Huckleberryville, Nowhere, so maybe they aren't quite properly enlightened.
And I'm sure the community loves them and treats them with the utmost respect. :thumbup:

If I shot a customer in the back because he pissed me off, I wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt either, but you don't see me refusing to work until I get some assurances that I can get away with murder. Maybe these losers should just take some personal responsibility and try to stay within the confines of the law.

The entire nation of Burkina Faso, which I assume we can all agree is more than 65% black, has exceptionally low crime rates. Pick a city. And then leave forever.
:golfclap:

Do you mean the Burkina Faso that WHO concluded had the world's highest murder rate in 2004?

Do you mean the Burkina Faso with a murder rate well above the world average?

Or do you mean the Burkina Faso which the United States Bureau of Diplomatic Security provides the following on?

Overall Crime and Safety SituationWhile most streets in Ouagadougou are safe and non-threatening during daylight hours, they become less safe at night. There is safety in numbers; thus, people should go with a friend(s) at night. Areas around bars and nightclubs tend to attract unsavory individuals after dark. In Ouagadougou, the United Nations Circle and Avenue Kwame N’Krumah areas are considered high-crime, so be extra cautious when visiting these areas, especially at night.

The Embassy has also verified reports from Bobo Dioulasso of harassment and intimidation in the area of the main market. Some locals who first appear extremely helpful or ingratiating have attempted to extort money from Americans, often for taking photos. In these cases, remain calm and mention that you will report them to the police.

The non-violent crimes that have been directed against westerners have been theft, burglary, and various confidence scams. Hotel security is generally adequate against petty crime.

Incidents of street crime (pick-pocketing, purse snatching, cell phone theft, etc.) are common and can become violent.

In the past year, there have been incidents of violent crime against westerners such as rape, sexual assault, extortion, intimidation, personal robbery, highway bandit robbery, and home invasion robbery. Rape and sexual assault continue to periodically occur in smaller towns and in Ouagadougou.

Criminals are sometimes armed with knives or edged weapons, often travel on motorcycles, and often prefer a stealth approach rather than confronting victims directly. Purse snatchings are commonly perpetrated by thieves on motorcycles, who grab purses and then speed off.

Residential burglaries and vehicle break-ins have occurred in the expatriate community. These crimes are usually committed in a manner that limits possible confrontation between victims and criminals; however, there have been occasional home invasion robberies.
Since you unsuccessfully attempted to act in Tim's stead and banish me you really should have to leave, but I'll let you stay because I know you'd die without this place.
I meant this one:

The crime rate in Burkina Faso is low compared to industrialized countries. An analysis was done using INTERPOL data for Burkina Faso. For purpose of comparison, data were drawn for the seven offenses used to compute the United States FBI's index of crime. Index offenses include murder, forcible rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny, and motor vehicle theft. The combined total of these offenses constitutes the Index used for trend calculation purposes. Burkina Faso will be compared with Japan (country with a low crime rate) and USA (country with a high crime rate). According to the INTERPOL data, for murder, the rate in 1998 was 0.38 per 100,000 population for Burkina Faso, 1.10 for Japan, and 6.3 for USA. For rape, the rate in 1998 was .24 for Burkina Faso, compared with 1.48 for Japan and 34.4 for USA. For robbery, the rate in 1998 was .04 for Burkina Faso, 2.71 for Japan, and 165.2 for USA. For aggravated assault, the rate in 1998 was 1.77 for Burkina Faso, 15.40 for Japan, and 360.5 for USA. For burglary, the rate in 1998 was .17 for Burkina Faso, 187.93 for Japan, and 862.0 for USA. The rate of larceny for 1998 was 2.44 for Burkina Faso, 1198.13 for Japan, and 2728.1 for USA. The rate for motor vehicle theft in 1998 was .01 for Burkina Faso, compared with 28.37 for Japan and 459.0 for USA. The rate for all index offenses combined was 5.05 for Burkina Faso, compared with 1709.88 for Japan and 4615.5 for USA. (Note: data were not reported to INTERPOL by the USA for 1998, but were derived from the Uniform Crime Report for 1998)
You said crime rate, by the way, not murder rate, although more up to date information about homicides puts the nation closer to the middle for that particular statistic And even your post says that the capital city is "safe and non-threatening during daylight hours" only to become "less safe at night," which is true of virtually every place.

But I don't really want to debate the particulars of a place I know pretty much nothing about, especially since we both know you're not leaving any time soon anyway. I'm more curious as to why you think crime is higher in places whose populations are 65%+ black. Do you think it's external or do you think there's actually something inherent to black people that makes them more prone to commit crime?

The B-more police reaction doesn't seem merely predicated on the officers being charged, it comes from the over-charging of the officers using a rare process that doesn't involve a grand jury.

The NY Police slow-down didn't come from Daniel Panteleo being charged, it came from DeBlasio's comments.

The cops see the DA's office going out of the way to charge these officers and they're (rightly to me) skeptical that police will not only find no support in a use of force incident, but may be targeted for prosecution.

Mosby calling a 4:30 press conference. Apparently a lot of hubbub at the Grand Jury Room. Indictments (or non-indictments) coming down?

The fact that the Police aren't currently mobilizing makes me think it's the former.

Mosby calling a 4:30 press conference. Apparently a lot of hubbub at the Grand Jury Room. Indictments (or non-indictments) coming down?

The fact that the Police aren't currently mobilizing makes me think it's the former.
Whooohooooo!http://news.yahoo.com/prosecutor-6-officers-indicted-death-freddie-gray-211445839.html
Just like I called it weeks ago - Miss Mosby screwed up on the knife and the Grand Jury has dropped the false imprisonment charge. I love how she cites emerging evidence. What a crock of ####. Nothing new emerged, she just rushed her initial charges. She didn't take enough time to read the arrest report and the Baltimore criminal code. Now she's contaminated the potential jury pool with a bull#### narrative of false arrest which will certainly hurt her case in some fashion. But at least she got front row seats to the Prince concert.

Another thing I predicted was that it would be a matter of time before the good, unbiased people of Baltimore started to focus on the race of the officers involved. From the article:

But she doesn't understand why the van driver faces more serious charges than the officers who put Gray in the van.
What a sad sad state of affairs in that city.

BALTIMORE (WJZ)–It’s been a violent weekend in Baltimore after a surge of shootings–some deadly across the city.

Police say 28 people were shot, 9 of them killed over this weekend, adding to the record-breaking violence.

WJZ media partner The Baltimore Sun reports 35 people have been killed so far in May making it the deadliest month in Baltimore since December of 1999. Some say the 3-day surge of violence may be a sign of a police department stretched too thin.
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/05/25/police-26-shootings-9-fatal-over-memorial-day-weekend-in-baltimore/

BALTIMORE (WJZ)–It’s been a violent weekend in Baltimore after a surge of shootings–some deadly across the city.

Police say 28 people were shot, 9 of them killed over this weekend, adding to the record-breaking violence.

WJZ media partner The Baltimore Sun reports 35 people have been killed so far in May making it the deadliest month in Baltimore since December of 1999. Some say the 3-day surge of violence may be a sign of a police department stretched too thin.
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/05/25/police-26-shootings-9-fatal-over-memorial-day-weekend-in-baltimore/
28 shootings in a weekend may sound like a lot but in defense of the good people of Baltimore, there was an extra day.

I'd probably not use the term "alarming surge" to describe the difference. (probably be interested in the numbers over the last 5 years or so). Media once again is going sensational. You people are funny. The media "sensationalizes" things at very convenient times for you.
Baltimore Sun

Deadly month sees 35 killings

May 25, 2015

Hours after Baltimore's mayor huddled with police officials to discuss the recent spike in violence, two more people were killed Monday — making May the city's deadliest month since 1999.

The two homicides increased this month's total to 35. There have been 108 homicides across the city this year.

"It's deplorable," said City Councilman William "Pete" Welch. "The shootings and killings are all over the city. I don't think any part of the city is immune to this. I've never seen anything like it."

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is "disheartened and frustrated by this continuing violence, particularly when you think about the progress that the city has made," said her spokesman, Howard Libit.

The mayor met for nearly two hours Sunday with Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts and members of his command staff about adjustments police are making. "She is confident that the steps being taken by the Police Department will quell this latest uptick in violence," Libit said.

Batts wrote a letter to community leaders and elected officials Monday, telling them he has reassigned "several veteran leaders" to the city's Western District, including a new commander and captain. He said he's asking officers to maintain "a visible and consistent presence" in the community. He also assigned Lt. Col. Melvin Russell, who commands the Police Department's Community Partnership Division, to work out of the Western District to improve relations with residents.

In the letter, Batts said the city is "in the midst of a challenging time. ... Please be assured that the Baltimore Police Department is moving aggressively to both address the increase inviolence, as well [as] to modernize and better equip ourselves for the future."

In addition to the homicides, eight other people were shot since late Sunday, bringing the number of shootings over the three-day holiday weekend to 29. Among them was a 9-year-old boy shot in the leg in the 2900 block of Arunah Ave. in Southwest Baltimore. Police did not identify any of victims or release information about any potential suspects or motives........

Oh good. We've reached the part of the thread where a bunch of people just swing by to take a #### on yet another proud American city they know next to nothing about without bothering to tell us about the glistening utopia they call home.

The comments on the article linked don't reflect too well on the type of people who comment on internet news stories.

I'd probably not use the term "alarming surge" to describe the difference. (probably be interested in the numbers over the last 5 years or so). Media once again is going sensational. You people are funny. The media "sensationalizes" things at very convenient times for you.
CBS Baltimore

28 Shootings, 9 Fatal, Over Memorial Day Weekend In BaltimoreMay 25, 2015

The shooting didn’t stop on Monday night after a 9-year-old boy and another man were both injured by gun fire in the 2900 block of Arunah Avenue. Police say the child was shot in the leg and another man suffered a graze wound to the head.

New police video of a person of interest in Sunday’s deadly shooting in Druid Heights. It’s one of several active investigations following a Memorial Day weekend riddled with gun violence across Baltimore City.....

Oh good. We've reached the part of the thread where a bunch of people just swing by to take a #### on yet another proud American city they know next to nothing about without bothering to tell us about the glistening utopia they call home.
I think the people that live there are doing a pretty good job of that on their own.

No, we'Ve reached the part of the thread where we use facts to dispel the notion that there is no uptick in Baltimore violence and that any surge in violence is a media fabrication.

Go grab a coffee and report back later when you're less ornery.

Users who are viewing this thread