What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Math Puzzles (from FiveThirtyEight - new puzzle every Friday) (1 Viewer)

Initial thoughts (some probably blindingly obvious but it helps me to state them)

The game ends when there are X more tails than heads, or Y more heads than tails.  E.g., if X = -4, then you need 4 straight tails to start, or 5 tails and a head in some combination, or 6 and 2, etc.. The same applies for Y, except it needs more heads than tails to come up.

The game ends when either of them win, so I think the expected duration would be until a net difference of (Y-X/2) between heads and tails is achieved. Could also be expressed as (|X|+|Y|)/2, I suppose.

So: what is the expected number of random coin flips until the difference between heads and tails reaches any given number?

I ran a 4000-flip trial in Excel. It bounced around between 0 and about 12 for the first 1400 flips or so, then made a quick climb close to 60 around #1700, dropped back near 0 by 2400, and fluctuated between 0 and 30 the rest of the way, finishing exactly at 0 (i.e., 2000 heads, 2000 tails).  Not that this particular trial would be the least bit predictive; I was just curious to see if I could simulate the game.

I did what I could working out basic examples.  I had some fun figuring out ways to sum a few of the series, but unfortunately had to start brute forcing the expectation at X=2 and Y= 3. Thankfully, by the time I did X=3, Y=3 I saw the answer:

it's just XY   

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody bumped with last week's puzzle

A guardian constantly patrols a spherical planet, protecting it from alien invaders that threaten its very existence. One fateful day, the sirens blare: A pair of hostile aliens have landed at two random locations on the surface of the planet. Each has one piece of a weapon that, if combined with the other piece, will destroy the planet instantly. The two aliens race to meet each other at their midpoint on the surface to assemble the weapon. The guardian, who begins at another random location on the surface, detects the landing positions of both intruders. If she reaches them before they meet, she can stop the attack.

The aliens move at the same speed as one another. What is the probabilitythat the guardian saves the planet if her linear speed is 20 times that of the aliens’?

My analysis:

Assume planet has radius r miles. If the guardian moves r mph, she can reach any spot on the planet (180 degrees) in π hours

This means the aliens move r/20 mph, and if they started directly opposite each other (180 degrees apart; worst case), they would each need to go 1/4 around the circumference, which is 1/2*π*r miles. This would take them 10π hours, which is at least 10x as long as it would take the guardian to get to their meeting point. 

In order to meet in less than π hours, then, they must be less than 18 degrees apart. Put another way, they must be < 9 degrees from their meeting point.

The surface area of the portion of a sphere with an angle of 9 degrees from the pole is:

A = 2*π r2* (1 - cos Θ)

For r = 1 and Θ = 9, A = 0.078

The area of the entire planet is 12.56.  So the aliens must land in an area of (0.078 / 12.56) of the surface, which is 0.56%.  The guardian can cover the other 99.44% of the surface.

And as long as the aliens do not BOTH land in the same 0.56% area, she will intercept them. The probability of that is 0.562, or 0.3136, so the probability that the guardian can save the planet is 99.6864%

Didn't know where else to put this and I didn't think it was worthy of starting a new thread. Today's Google doodle celebrates Gottfried Leibniz, an all-time brilliant human and the co-developer of one of the greatest achievements of the mind, Calculus. The image on the Google portal shows a hand scribing a series of six binary numbers (8-bits) but the very last digit is not completed. Is it going to become a zero or a one, and why? Happy birthday, Leibniz!

Didn't know where else to put this and I didn't think it was worthy of starting a new thread. Today's Google doodle celebrates Gottfried Leibniz, an all-time brilliant human and the co-developer of one of the greatest achievements of the mind, Calculus. The image on the Google portal shows a hand scribing a series of six binary numbers (8-bits) but the very last digit is not completed. Is it going to become a zero or a one, and why? Happy birthday, Leibniz!

Google it...

Forgot about these.  This week's Riddler Express looks like a quick one:

In a set of dominos, each tile has two sides with a number of dots on each side: zero, one, two, three, four, five or six. There are 28 total tiles, with each number of dots appearing alongside each other number (including itself) on a single tile.

Question 1: What is the probability of drawing a “double” from a set of dominoes — that is, a tile with the same number on both sides?

Question 2: Now you pick a random tile from the set and uncover only one side, revealing that it has six dots. What’s the probability that this tile is a double, with six on both sides?
Question 1: 25%

Question 2: 25%

Forgot about these.  This week's Riddler Express looks like a quick one:

Question 1: 25%

Question 2: 25%
I understand the 1st answer - or at least I came up with the same one.

2nd answer has me confused - given that there are 7 tiles with a 6 on at least one side.  I assume that the reveal changes the odds - probably similar to the Monte Hall problem.  But I don't know why...

I understand the 1st answer - or at least I came up with the same one.

2nd answer has me confused - given that there are 7 tiles with a 6 on at least one side.  I assume that the reveal changes the odds - probably similar to the Monte Hall problem.  But I don't know why...
The way I thought of it is

There are 8 sixes in a set of dominoes (including the 2 on the double-six domino).  2 of them have a six on the other side. So 2/8 chance the six you're looking at has a six on the other side. 

Walking Boot said:
Ha! I just stumbled on this channel this week too. Must be something in Youtube's algo pushing it out. But it is nice to chill to that one skinny dude on background noise when I need to unwind.

I actually did this sudoku on my own. Didn't need to follow along on the video at all, it took a while but I felt pretty accomplished to have solved it with pure amateur logic.

Rules:

Normal Sudoku, 

Cells a knight's move apart cannot contain the same digit,

Cells a King's move apart cannot contain the same digit, and...

Cells adjacent orthogonally (up, down, left, right) cannot contain consecutive digits.

Believe it or not, this is the grid, and it IS solvable given the above rules
I solved the first one on my own - but it took about 45 minutes, so I was a little disappointed to see the video was only 20 some minutes, and he was using some of that time to explain the easy stuff...

ETA - I'll give this one a go in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread