What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All time soccer tourney Matchday 1 Game 1 (1 Viewer)

Which team has the better offensive substitutes? Which team has the better defensive substitutes? (

• Manos di Dios has better substitutes on both sides of the ball.

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • wdcrob has better substitutes on both sides of the ball

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Manos di Dios has better offensive substitutes, but wdcrob has better defensive subs.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • wdcrob has better offensive substitutes, but Manos di Dios has better defensive subs.

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
This is a thread for a match in the All-Time Soccer/Football Greatest XI Tournament.  Your votes will influence the shape of this match by assigning a team with a 60% supermajority in any given category useful advantages in our 12 dice rolling rounds that determine gameplay events.  Specifically, before each voting is accounted for each team is assigned 2 rolls (of a 20 sided die) against an "Advantage" table meant to denote a high probability of favorable game events, 2 rolls against a "Neutral" table with an equal distribution of positive and negative events, and 2 rolls against a "Disadvantage" table with a higher probability of negative game events for the rolling team.  Bonuses are accounted as followed.

• A team that 60% or more of voters believe will create more chances will receive one extra roll against the "Advantage" table that is more probably to generate goals and other positive gameplay events for that player in lieu of a roll against the "Neutral" table.  The team that receives less than 40% of that vote will receive one less roll against the "Advantage" table and will roll that event against the "Neutral" table instead.

• A team that 60% or more of voters believe will have better finishing will be entitled to roll a six-sided die on "near scoring events."  A roll of 5 or 6 converts that event to a goal.  A player may continue to use saving rolls for each near goal event until he has a successful savings roll. 

• A team the 60% or more voters believe will have a better defense will receive one fewer roll against the "Disadvantage" table and instead roll a "Neutral" roll.  A team with 40% of fewer of the votes in this category will receive one additional roll against the "Disadvantage) table instead of a Neutral roll.

• A team that 60% or more of the voters believe has better goalkeeping will be entitled to roll a six-sided die on any of his opponent's scoring events.  A roll of 5 or 6 will result in a Save instead of a goal on that event.  A player may continue to attempt savings rolls for each goal event until he has a successful savings roll.

• The team that 60% of voters believe is most vulnerable to a counter-attack will be subject to "Counter" savings rolls on "Counter" events on the Advantage and Neutral tables.  The team will roll a six-sided die.  A result of 1, 2, or 3 will result in a counter-attacking goal against that side.

• The team that 60% or more voters believe has better offensive subs may use the better of TWO D20 rolls on any one roll subsequent to the substitution (designated in advance).

• The team that 60% or more voters believe has better defensive subs may require his opponent to roll TWO D20 rolls on any Opponent roll subsequent to the substitution with only the worst result applying.
Please consider the home stadium and managers when voting if you believe that it would make a difference in the outcome of the game. 

Game (home team listed first):  Manos di Dios FC (Gator/Tasker)   v. wdcrob

Manos di Dios FC --  managed by Sir Alex Ferguson  

Formation - 4-3-3                

Starters

1 - David DeGea

2 - Dani ALves

3 - Alessandro Nesta

4 - Frank de Boer ©

5 - Marcel Desailly

6 - Marco Tardelli

7 - Socrates

8  - Frank Lampard

9 - Miroslav Klose

10 - Diego Maradona

11 - Theiry Henry

Subs

Robbie Fowler

Fernando Torres

Landon Donovan

Gio von Bronckhurst

Gilberto Silva

Vinnie Jones

Nigel de Jong

wdcrob -- Managed by Pep Guardiola

Formation 3-4-3

Starters

1 - Gianluigi Buffon

2 - Gerrard Pique

3 - Thiago Silva

4 - Alessandro Costacurta

5 - Michael Ballack

6 - Bastian Schweinsteiger

7 - Willian

8  - Patrick Viera

9 - Sergio Aguero

10 - Luis Suarez

11 - Lionel Messi

Subs

Marcelo

Carlos Tevez

Kevin Muscat

Brad Freidel

Frankie Hejduk

Christian Pulisic

Manos de Dios FC

Starters

1 - David DeGea

2 - Dani Alves

3 - Alessandro Nesta

4 - Frank de Boer ©

5 - Marcel Desailly

6 - Marco Tardelli

7 - Socrates

8  - Frank Lampard

9 - Miroslav Klose

10 - Diego Maradona

11 - Theirry Henry

Subs

Robbie Fowler

Fernando Torres

Landon Donovan

Gio von Bronckhurst

Gilberto Silva

Vinnie Jones

Nigel de Jong

Manager- Sir Alex Ferguson 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SAF_CL_semi_2009.jpg

Stadium-

La Bombonera

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bombonera_Boca_Juniors.JPG

Formation

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's go live to FBG's studios where noted analyst and Ginger pariah Alexi Lalas will preview the matchup.

Thanks Ramsey, really enjoyed that Summer Cannibals concert with you.  You pull all the chicks. 

You can't doubt the talent of either of these teams, IMO, but I do question both manager's tactical setups.  Manos di Dio have provided their setup already, and I think it's interesting.  They have a great defensive midfielder in Marco Tardelli, but I have to think he's going to be two busy plugging gaps on the right where Maradona is not a high defensive workrate player and where Dani Alves has a tendency to overlap.  Expecting Tardelli to also cover the back four and even help to the left where De Boer will get a little more help from Thierry Henry, seems ambitious to me.  I also think that you have to wonder what Miroslave Klose we will see.  The All-Time World Cup scorer, or the player who has had a good but not great club career.

As for wdcrob, this is a team that recent fans of the game should be familiar with.  He's got Messi and Suarez who we know work great together.  I question whether Kun Aguero, however, can provide those two the space they need.  But the biggest question mark in this team, IMO, is how this midfield will cover for the decision to use a back three.  The midfield is stacked with multi-functional "box to box" midfielders.  All of whom have played in holding roles, but none of whom have played often as the most defensive midfield option.  Willian is a great defensive winger, but Schweinsteiger has really only defended in central roles.  Players like Viera and Ballack have always been revered for their all-around presence. 

I think it's an intriguing match-up.  I think both teams will generate chances.  I think wdcrob has the better finishing and possibly the better goalkeeping.  I think that Manos di Dios is more solid defensively, but may be prone to a counter. 

Let's go live to FBG's studios where noted analyst and Ginger pariah Alexi Lalas will preview the matchup.

*Tunnel Interview with Leeann Tweeden*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Leeann_Tweeden_2.jpg

Have you heard what Lalas has said about your choice of setting up your team? 

Gaffer- He makes some good points, *chewing gum furiously* but I'd like to think that Lampard is capable to help out too, he's on the right for a reason. *more gum chewing*  

What are your thoughts on your opposition? 

Gaffer- They are a good side. *incessant gum chewing* Their attack has some bite to it, Gigi is a class keeper but the midfield can be had.

Thank you, good luck today

Gaffer- No problem and here's a key to the boot room. I have a bottle of Lagavulin 16 waiting in there for me, keep it company until I arrive after the match.

Before I vote, I want to hear a bit about the best footballer of all time playing out of position.
Lalas has something to say about that too!

The use of Maradona on the right flank is extremely interesting.  He's never played there before, and while I realize that the current mania is for inverted wingers, even extremely one-footed, inverted wingers, you have to wonder whether wdcrob could just show Maradona to the outside and marginalize him there on his right foot.  I think Maradona would be better served playing behind two strikers.  Thierry Henry is the best goal scorer on the team, and he's in danger of being marginalized on the left himself. 

the ####### goal of the century came from the right flank

and from deep

No wonder everyone hates Lalas

and it came from deep. Henry was great at picking the ball up from deep, now when they do it they have a world class finisher to link up with 

.............Kaka.....Suarez....Messi

......Schwein......Vieira........Willian

.......................Ballack

.........Costac.....Pique.....Silva

........................Buffon

More or less.

More or less.
Speaking of abominations. :oldunsure:

Speaking of abominations. :oldunsure:
:shrug:   Ballack is holding mid/4th CB.  Vieira is the front of the "diamond" but playing deeper than usual, with the three mids joining the attack singly.  Focusing on defensive duties first.  The trio up front will create plenty on their own.

:shrug:   Ballack is holding mid/4th CB.  Vieira is the front of the "diamond" but playing deeper than usual, with the three mids joining the attack singly.  Focusing on defensive duties first.  The trio up front will create plenty on their own.

If' it's not a flat 442, he wont' know what it is....

If he's set at 3 at the back, I'd try-

Suarez                            

Messi

Ballack          Schweinsteiger

Viera

Marcelo                                                         Willian

Silva   Costacurta   Pique

Suarez                            Messi

Kaka

Viera

No keeper?  Ballsy.

Suarez                            Messi

Kaka

Viera

Dang, I love that with my coach hat on.

RHE> How much time to we get before the vote is closed? I don't see it in the original post.

More or less.
Some tough love for my boy WDCROB:

Schwein, Vieira and Ballack all seem out of position. WIllian (whom I love as a CFC supporter) is woefuly outclassed here in an all time format. Hes had one excellent season and a few more good seasons. Not sure how the back three works. 

Buffon looks solid in goal though.

Manos de Dios FC

Starters

1 - David DeGea

2 - Dani Alves

3 - Alessandro Nesta

4 - Frank de Boer ©

5 - Marcel Desailly

6 - Marco Tardelli

7 - Socrates

8  - Frank Lampard

9 - Miroslav Klose

10 - Diego Maradona

11 - Theirry Henry

Subs

Robbie Fowler

Fernando Torres

Landon Donovan

Gio von Bronckhurst

Gilberto Silva

Vinnie Jones

Nigel de Jong

GK- David De Gea, Spain

This guy is legit, legit #1 in the world imo right now. Neuer might get more pub, Courtios too. Neither have kept a hap hazard lineup in the CL. It seems every single game he has at least one "gtfo" save. He doesn't have the legacy yet(and I hope he doesn't get it in the EPL), but hopefully a move to Spain will shine the light on this kid more. 

CB- Alessandro Nesta, Italy / Marcel Desailly, France

We thought we got a steal in where we picked up Nesta. For me, one of the first play-out-of-the-back defenders I recall being a fan of. Smart on the ball, and he was a GREAT tackler. Part of what some consider the best CB duo ever along with Palo Maldini. Desailly was a research pick for me, but reading up on him he seems to fit in perfectly for what we wanted and so we sniped him. Another player who was a solid defender(nickname= The Rock) but could also play the ball. So much so that he even played in some midfield roles.  Also, another World Cup winner. 

FB- Frank de Boer, Holland / Dani Alves, Brazil

With the way we wanted to play, we thought about a little balance at the back. First, Alves, with his marauding runs up the sideline, great crosses and he can still get back on defense. As captain of the team, de Boer© adds more defensive stability with even more leadership. He has a wicked left foot that can drive a dagger through the opposition if needed.

DM- Marco Tardelli, Italy

Another guy I found researching players. From Wiki- Tardelli made his name as a hard-tackling yet technically skillful and elegant midfielder, and was regarded as one of the finest midfielders in the world during the early 1980s. A tenacious, and energetic player, he is regarded as one of the greatest Italian midfielders of all time. Although Tardelli was mainly renowned for his stamina and defensive ability, he also possessed a powerful shot, and was capable of striking and passing the ball with both feet.- You want this guy in the back of your midfield, you know you do. 

CM- Socrates, Brazil / Frank Lampard, England

When you read that a guy was "the brains" of one of the greatest Brazilian teams ever, you'll take notice. Another two footed player who was known for his vision and through balls. That's exactly what you want sitting behind Henry, Maradona and Klose. Lampard was the second hard working midfielder we needed. A true box to box midfielder, yet he was still one of the best scoring midfielders ever. He's a tireless worker and will hold the midfield with Tardelli.

AM- Theirry Henry, France / Diego Maradona, Argentina

LOVED watching Henry play. Speed, power and creativity combined. @Steve Tasker might have more to say on this guy. The legend, Maradona. Easily the easiest pick ever made at 1.4. Most know him well, so not much to say.

ST- Miroslov Klose, Germany

The greatest World Cup scorer ever. He always played better with a more talented national team, so he should LOVE playing with this supporting cast. With Henry and Maradona free to roam the field we wanted a old fashioned #9, not someone to drop into the space needed for the more creative players to occupy.  With his heading ability he's a danger from set pieces and longer forward balls. Fits the team need perfectly. 

Users who are viewing this thread