What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (15 Viewers)

Are we starting this Adriene thing today, since it’s August 1, and do the full month?  Or we starting Monday for 30 days?

I’m going to do low carb, IF, with rowing and yoga, for 30 days. For realz. I’m pretty sure Hollywood will be calling in a month.  “How did you get such sweet abs? WHAT IS YOUR SECRET”
Start Monday august 3rd, finish Wednesday september 1st.

-4 Miles in 50:00, "Eat it Harvey"(Die Hard), I got a true runner's high today and ran at least 3/4 of those 4 miles to get my time around where I want. I'd like to go 3Mi/36Min but 4/50 will do just fine. 

-I had a field day at Nordstrom Rack running thru the 34 inch waist section and pushing myself to buy Large vs XL ..... I have redone a lot of my clothes and closet and parted with things that no longer fit so I don't allow myself mentally to think I'm going back to the old MOP. 

-On board for meditation and yoga, I truly need it or I'm going to have a stroke or heart attack.
Good for you with the running. I feel like ten minute miles are kind of the standard for jogging and 3mph for walking - not exact but it makes the math easier. 4 miles in 50 minutes is about 3 miles at 10 minutes each plus one mile at 20 minutes so your estimate of 3/4 running sounds exactly right.  3.1 miles is the classic 5k distance, so running 3 miles in one session is a big time goal. Good for you. 

Love that you are buying smaller clothes and getting rid of some of the older stuff. That's a huge milestone too. It's really hard to commit. 

Yoga and meditation and turning off the news definitely helps you chill, and between the diet, exercise, weight loss and meditation, I would be super curious how your blood pressure looks next month vs a year or two ago. I bet it's night and day.  Definitely good that you are taking your heart health seriously.

Keep up the good work. 

I just finished Day 11 too. I am liking it so far, except for days that seem too easy. I am a novice at best, but still want some challenge. 

Overall keeping up with the walking and starting to eat better again (3 days with no junk food for snacks). Weight is slowly going back down but we are renting a house at the beach next week so all bets are off. 
Even with the modifications, she keeps it to 30 minutes or less and doesn't do a ton of hard positions in the same practice so if you're looking for a hard workout, you'll have to add stuff yourself sometimes. There are days I was sore and didn't understand why because it seemed easy until I realized I was sweating so it's sneaky tough sometimes too.

If you are looking to add to it, I repeated day 6 a lot to get that core workout. I've also started the 100 pushup challenge if you want to join me. I'm going Monday Wednesday Friday.  It definitely makes those downward facing dogs and chataranga pushups noticable.

I am in body recomposition mode right now so I'm trying to do my yoga for overall strength and flexibility when I have 20 minutes between meetings, do some core and pushups a few times a week which is like 10 minutes here or there, and run a couple miles most days, which is like 45 minutes at night. So it's a lot of good exercise but it's all stuff I can sneak in to lulls in my day instead of hitting the gym for 90 minutes to do it all at once,

Even with the modifications, she keeps it to 30 minutes or less and doesn't do a ton of hard positions in the same practice so if you're looking for a hard workout, you'll have to add stuff yourself sometimes. There are days I was sore and didn't understand why because it seemed easy until I realized I was sweating so it's sneaky tough sometimes too.

If you are looking to add to it, I repeated day 6 a lot to get that core workout. I've also started the 100 pushup challenge if you want to join me. I'm going Monday Wednesday Friday.  It definitely makes those downward facing dogs and chataranga pushups noticable.

I am in body recomposition mode right now so I'm trying to do my yoga for overall strength and flexibility when I have 20 minutes between meetings, do some core and pushups a few times a week which is like 10 minutes here or there, and run a couple miles most days, which is like 45 minutes at night. So it's a lot of good exercise but it's all stuff I can sneak in to lulls in my day instead of hitting the gym for 90 minutes to do it all at once,
I may join you in this too. Can I do rowing, Adriene, and the push-up challenge all at once?  May as well find out...

I may join you in this too. Can I do rowing, Adriene, and the push-up challenge all at once?  May as well find out...
Would love to see it. The fact you have time to row in the morning makes this kind of workout possible.  And the pushups are supposed to be every other day.  100pushups isn't a huge time commitment, and I don't do it consecutively with yoga - I am looking for ten or twenty minute breaks in my day, not a big workout. I do use the same yoga mat for both- it helps keep my hand position the same every time for the pushups. 

Sticking with a program has been tough for you but maybe this is good - on a day you skip your row, you still get on the yoga mat and don't act like oh well, i guess I'm off the program, time for some Ho Hos. And I know the job stress is a big deal for you. There are definitely days that my brain is cooked at work and doing some yoga clears my mind and gets me back to it. Being able to do that without emerging from my office space is huge. 

I limited carbs hard today.  ON A SATURDAY.  We went to my mom’s and saw family, and there was lots of ice cream and cake.  There were mash potatoes for dinner.  There were all sorts of goodies.  I had steak for dinner (POOR ME!) with spinach, and even had the cucumber and mozzarella salad (I hate cucumbers, but they’re not so so terrible in a salad).  I had some drinks, which is totally OK.  I passed on dessert entirely.  Had a few sausage links for breakfast, and some cheese and pepperoni for lunch.  

Feel pretty good about the day.  Didn’t row or workout, but did walk a couple miles in the heat.  It’s something.

Repeaing tomorrow. 

I limited carbs hard today.  ON A SATURDAY.  We went to my mom’s and saw family, and there was lots of ice cream and cake.  There were mash potatoes for dinner.  There were all sorts of goodies.  I had steak for dinner (POOR ME!) with spinach, and even had the cucumber and mozzarella salad (I hate cucumbers, but they’re not so so terrible in a salad).  I had some drinks, which is totally OK.  I passed on dessert entirely.  Had a few sausage links for breakfast, and some cheese and pepperoni for lunch.  

Feel pretty good about the day.  Didn’t row or workout, but did walk a couple miles in the heat.  It’s something.

Repeaing tomorrow. 
One day at a time Otis.  Just take it one day at a time.  Your goal every morning should be to "win" that day.  If you know you're going to drink, throw in an extra hard workout that morning.  

KETO IF YOGA ROWING PUSHUPCHALLENGE

5 things.  Come on baby. Let’s do this. Just for a month. Then reevaluate. 

Been doing the Noom weightloss app, it’s been lifechanging stuff for me.  Logging all my food and having a simple green/yellow/red breakdown has been a real nice accountability mechanism.  There’s also a lot of good information about caloric density, mental tips/tricks and stuff.  When I don’t log my meals for so long, I get a little push from people to get back on the wagon.  

I’ve went down a couple belt loops.  I noticed some shirts I was gonna give away to Goodwill, put away long ago when I decided I was just going to be chunky forever, fit great again.  Now I’m sending my XL shirts away (or getting my favorite ones tailored).  
Did anyone else try Noom?  It eventually got tiresome logging every individual item and I fell off the wagon.  The pandemic hit and so I quarantined and started ordering food and just sort of let myself go.  I'm chunky again, really close to 230, I feel bad, I'm not exercising enough.  The cool shirts I bought are too tight now.  Sucks man

I thought I would reread my old post to get a grip on the good habits I'd built up before.  I like the logging function but I need an application that is a little less time consuming and costly (like $100+ or so every 3 months iirc).  Any recommendations?  

Did anyone else try Noom?  It eventually got tiresome logging every individual item and I fell off the wagon.  The pandemic hit and so I quarantined and started ordering food and just sort of let myself go.  I'm chunky again, really close to 230, I feel bad, I'm not exercising enough.  The cool shirts I bought are too tight now.  Sucks man

I thought I would reread my old post to get a grip on the good habits I'd built up before.  I like the logging function but I need an application that is a little less time consuming and costly (like $100+ or so every 3 months iirc).  Any recommendations?  
I don't know if it's less time-consuming since I don't know how time-consuming Noom was, but WW is more like $19.95/mo and you get some free months/deals at the beginning, plus a couple of free months when you try to cancel.  It worked great for me.

I don't know if it's less time-consuming since I don't know how time-consuming Noom was, but WW is more like $19.95/mo and you get some free months/deals at the beginning, plus a couple of free months when you try to cancel.  It worked great for me.
Thanks.... what's WW?  

Btw, some exciting updates coming to the thread tomorrow.  
All right, exciting news is that two people in this thread will have done 50+ miles today.  Some of you will have seen on my FB that I am one of them.  This is why I wanted to wait until Monday for yoga anew.  I'll let the other announce himself; he's still in the midst of it having started later than I did, but getting very close to the end.

All right, exciting news is that two people in this thread will have done 50+ miles today.  Some of you will have seen on my FB that I am one of them.  This is why I wanted to wait until Monday for yoga anew.  I'll let the other announce himself; he's still in the midst of it having started later than I did, but getting very close to the end.
WOW!   That's awesome!  So proud of you Krista (and the mystery guest)

Thanks, krista, for leading the way! It actually wasn't so bad until just the very last 36 miles.

Hint...you can. 

Day 13 of yoga. 1300 pushups.

59 miles for the month of July.  Plus a nearly, uncountable number of stairs.....F it, I just added them up, 1067 flights of stairs in July. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Myfitnesspal. Free. Pain in ###. Worth it. 

Added challenge for the 100 push up crowd - don't just do 100 per day. Try to beat your prior performance. I started at 100 towards the beginning of this thing and before my injury got up to 160 (4 sets of 40). So if you get up to 4 sets of 25 don't just keep repeating - try to complete it in 3 sets...or stick with 4 and increase set one to 30 then see how far you can go. 

I see two push-up was things here. There’s the 100 per day and the push up challenge that someone linked. Or are these the very same?

I see two push-up was things here. There’s the 100 per day and the push up challenge that someone linked. Or are these the very same?
hundredpushups.com is a training program for building up to 100 pushups in one session. Within a month or two they claim to take you from being able to do 5-10 at a time to being able to do 50 plus. You do five sets of pushups with a minute rest in between, like do 12, rest a minute, then do 15, rest a minute, then 8, 8, and finally 12 or as many as you can do without injury.  There's a fitness test to begin with, and you start with different numbers for each set depending on how you do on it . It also involves rest days between sets, and there are days towards the end when you do a lot more than 100 pushups. That's what I'm doing right now, because I cap out around 15 or 20 right now, and I'm working on building strength. 

100 pushups a day is a challenge a lot of people have taken, usually for people who can already comfortably do 20 or 25. Some people will just drop and do 20 at different times throughout their day, until they hit their hundred. Other people treat it like a workout and do sets. Because it's a daily challenge, there's no rest days between sets, which means it's really for people who already have the strength to do them and are toning and endurance, not building.  

If you're currently able to do fifteen or fewer pushups at a time, I'd probably lean towards the one I'm doing. Doing ten pushups ten times day one sounds doable but by that tenth set you'll be miserable and the second day will be much worse. If you're already able to bang out 20 plus without tiring, then 100 daily will be possible, although you'll probably find that day two it will take more sets than day one did because your arms are exhausted. 

Adding this in with core and rowing and yoga, and knowing you already had time constraints, I would probably lean towards the one I'm doing because it's only 3 days a week. But I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any other diet or exercise program. 

Maurile Tremblay said:
DA RAIDERS said:
I’ll double up and join y’all. Groupthink is great for this stuff. 

#100pushupsdaily. 
I'm in for this.
To be clear, I meant that I'm in for #100pushupsdaily, not Yoga with Adriene. Yoga with Adriene and DDP Yoga both seem great, but I tried both of them years ago and failed to stay with them. I don't like watching videos and exercising at the same time. If I were going to do Yoga with Adriene, I'd watch the video, take notes on it, memorize the sequence of poses, and then do it -- but that seems pretty inefficient when we're talking about a different video every day.

Regarding #100pushupsdaily, I started a 30-day challenge on April 2 of this year and just kept going. I plan to keep doing it indefinitely. (I did take yesterday off.)

bostonfred said:
100 pushups a day is a challenge a lot of people have taken, usually for people who can already comfortably do 20 or 25. Some people will just drop and do 20 at different times throughout their day, until they hit their hundred. Other people treat it like a workout and do sets. Because it's a daily challenge, there's no rest days between sets, which means it's really for people who already have the strength to do them and are toning and endurance, not building. 
On April 2, I could do only five pushups at a time. (When I say pushups, I mean real pushups -- full range of motion, controlled speed, elbows in, back straight.) So that day I did 20 sets of five with at least 15 minutes in between each set. It took all day. Days 2-4 were even worse because I often couldn't do five, so I often did sets of around three. By Day 5 I could do 20 sets of five again. By the end of 30 days, I could do sets of 15 if I spaced them out enough.

I haven't tested my max reps recently, but I can now comfortably do sets of 25 with about five minutes of rest in between. So instead of taking all day, I now usually do my 100 pushups before leaving for work in the morning.

Doing 100 pushups a day will absolutely build strength in beginners.

I stopped being lazy and went back over the last few pages to see who was in for yoga.  I have:

krista4

fred x2

Otis

DA RAIDERS

Eaganwildcats

Dickies +1

MoP

Looks like joker, kevzilla, Poke4Life, Flying Turtle all are interested but are either still in the first set of 30 days or can't start until later.

Anyone else?

@bostonfred, which one are we doing?

On April 2, I could do only five pushups at a time. (When I say pushups, I mean real pushups -- full range of motion, controlled speed, elbows in, back straight.) So that day I did 20 sets of five with at least 20 minutes in between each set. It took all day. Days 2-4 were even worse because I often couldn't do five, so I often did sets of around three. By Day 5 I could do 20 sets of five again. By the end of 30 days, I could do sets of 15.

I haven't tested my max reps recently, but I can now comfortably do sets of 25 with about five minutes of rest in between. So instead of taking all day, I now usually do my 100 pushups before leaving for work in the morning.

Doing 100 pushups a day will absolutely build strength in beginners.
Right, but is it better at buidling strength than a 5 set program with rest days?  Is it less likely to get me hurt?  Will I build more muscle without rest days?  

https://hundredpushups.com/week5.html

On day 2 of week 5, someone starting with the strength to do 5 pushups like you should be able to do 30 plus, and is expected to do 100 pushups that day with a final set of 25. 

To be clear, I meant that I'm in for #100pushupsdaily, not Yoga with Adriene. Yoga with Adriene and DDP Yoga both seem great, but I tried both of them years ago and failed to stay with them. I don't like watching videos and exercising at the same time. If I were going to do Yoga with Adriene, I'd watch the video, take notes on it, memorize the sequence of poses, and then do it -- but that seems pretty inefficient when we're talking about a different video every day.

Regarding #100pushupsdaily, I started a 30-day challenge on April 2 of this year and just kept going. I plan to keep doing it indefinitely. (I did take yesterday off.)
She actually talked about this and said one of her big goals with her later programs is to talk people through the moves better so they don't have to look at the screen. Maybe one of the more recent series would be better for you. 

I rest every night.
I'm not saying it doesn't work for (some?) beginners with this particular movement. I'm saying it's generally the biggest mistake made with exercise, especially from beginners. Over night rest is typically not enough for muscle recovery. When you hit a plateau this is likely the necessary adjustment. 

@bostonfred which one are we doing?
How about Courage (june 2020)? 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLui6Eyny-UzwubANxngKF0Jx-4fa1QqHk

It looks pretty good for the goals people here mentioned 

https://yogawithadriene.com/june-2020-yoga-calendar-courage/

"the June calendar is more intense than some of the other monthly calendars. A beginner can follow along too as long as they listen to their body, don’t push, modify and rest when needed. The Yoga for Beginners videos and the Foundations of Yoga videos are there to help you grow your practice too."

For the people doing this for the first time I would still probably recommend the original 2015 30 days of yoga series. 

@Otis not sure if you are still with asensei but I’m ‘halfway’ through today. I put halfway in quotes because it’s a 6 week program but only has like 3 videos per week. I haven’t been spacing them out so it’s technically day 14 today. That said it was 1k meter trial to test progress. Kinda crushed it. But also felt like dying for about 20 minutes after. Not sure I’m actually getting stronger/faster or if just having the little computer tell me I should do a 3:17 was the reason for the increase - either way I’ll take it. Probably rest on the row tomorrow as we start the yoga journey and then pick it back up mid week. Been just dropping and doing push ups (set of 10) when the urge hits me yesterday and today so will keep that up and maybe formally start something a week into yoga or something. Try to not set myself up for failure with too much at on once.

Happy weekend everyone. 

@Otis not sure if you are still with asensei but I’m ‘halfway’ through today. I put halfway in quotes because it’s a 6 week program but only has like 3 videos per week. I haven’t been spacing them out so it’s technically day 14 today. That said it was 1k meter trial to test progress. Kinda crushed it. But also felt like dying for about 20 minutes after. Not sure I’m actually getting stronger/faster or if just having the little computer tell me I should do a 3:17 was the reason for the increase - either way I’ll take it. Probably rest on the row tomorrow as we start the yoga journey and then pick it back up mid week. Been just dropping and doing push ups (set of 10) when the urge hits me yesterday and today so will keep that up and maybe formally start something a week into yoga or something. Try to not set myself up for failure with too much at on once.

Happy weekend everyone. 
awesome stuff @eaganwildcats. I’m still on it but have been taking days off. There are just some mornings here when we have to get out early and drop the dog off, or take my kid to the doctor for her well visit, etc, all of which crush the morning and make it impossible for me to row. And once the day is off and running, I’m working, and it ain’t 7pm till I come downstairs to eat. 

Bottom line, I’m still all in on asensei, just not doing it daily, but taking the prescribed rest days not based on physical need but routine need. Im definitely rowing again tomorrow morning. 

Im really curious about the live classes with Eric. Any interest in doing some of those together?  I haven’t done one yet. Can’t do today, but maybe whenever is the next one?

awesome stuff @eaganwildcats. I’m still on it but have been taking days off. There are just some mornings here when we have to get out early and drop the dog off, or take my kid to the doctor for her well visit, etc, all of which crush the morning and make it impossible for me to row. And once the day is off and running, I’m working, and it ain’t 7pm till I come downstairs to eat. 

Bottom line, I’m still all in on asensei, just not doing it daily, but taking the prescribed rest days not based on physical need but routine need. Im definitely rowing again tomorrow morning. 

Im really curious about the live classes with Eric. Any interest in doing some of those together?  I haven’t done one yet. Can’t do today, but maybe whenever is the next one?
I'm game. I think they are generally at like 5:30 ET which isn't optimal timing, but could likely make it work. If you see them advertising one let me know and we can join in.

I wonder if they have a peleton style leader board. If not, they should. 

Users who are viewing this thread