What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (3 Viewers)

Who could have predicted you'd be butt hurt and quit after half a day?

Seriously don't listen to maurile he's not human. Take a rest day from pushups tomorrow and do the hundred pushups program I posted. Or hold off and just do the yoga.  Honestly, after a couple weeks you'll find your pushup game is improved just from the yoga. It is a legit workout. 
Oh I ain’t quitting, will press on. Just going to go with 50 push ups a day instead of 100 (along with rowing, and stupidyoga). 

ETA probably a good idea. I will go with your program, sounds more manageable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So I decided to open the yoga up to my 8 year olds, which may have been a mistake. About 10 minutes in my daughter, who is the tiniest girl in her grade, let’s out what might have been the biggest fart I’ve heard in my entire life, right as Adrienne said “Now exhaaaaale”. Then during the final 5 minutes my son is constantly saying “Oh Em Gee!  Look at how much daddy is sweating!  DISGUSTING!”

That was harder than expected, but I feel pretty good right now. I would probably die doing that hot room yoga with the amount of sweat I generated in my air conditioned house. 

For those of you who really struggled with day one (beginners version), you are in for a battle.   :lol:    But keep at it.  

For those of you who really struggled with day one (beginners version), you are in for a battle.   :lol:    But keep at it.  
Eh. It's a good program because it builds your strength up.  There were poses we did early on that I struggled with that are easy now.  I remember thinking downward facing dog was hard and then I remember Adriene saying that she felt the same way when she started and couldn't believe that they called it a "rest pose" but now she's progressed.  I totally feel the same way. It didn't take long before I got used to it and built some arm strength and had the calf flexibility to touch my heels to the floor if I wanted to or "pedal it out" like she says.  It gets a lot easier.  But it's part of the process. 

I also know that there are poses that are more difficult for me than others and vice versa. I have no problem sitting criss cross applesauce but I have a hard time with sun salutations when she's barking out forward fold lift to flat back then back to forward fold. It takes me longer to fold than a twenty something with 4 percent body fat. It's not a big deal. I go at my pace, and I don't go as slowly to mountain pose because I don't want to short change that next plank or warrior two or whatever. 

It's such a good whole body exercise. I definitely feel better and can see a difference in my ability to do these poses, but also see some differences in the mirror too. 

Stick with it, newbs, and keep up with the reports for our entertainment and so the next group of newbs can read your progress and know that they will get there too. 

@eaganwildcats, I did the St Catherine’s row on asensei this morning. Hardest one yet by far. That was a full 45 mins (with some rest sessions where I kept rowing lightly), and I almost ended up rowing a full 10K. Good workout.  Hit all my splits, some of which were a little challenging at the end there. 

Can’t wait to bend all my hurty parts with the cute girl this afternoon. 

@eaganwildcats, I did the St Catherine’s row on asensei this morning. Hardest one yet by far. That was a full 45 mins (with some rest sessions where I kept rowing lightly), and I almost ended up rowing a full 10K. Good workout.  Hit all my splits, some of which were a little challenging at the end there. 

Can’t wait to bend all my hurty parts with the cute girl this afternoon. 
Is that what it recommended you or did you just pick it? I have "low and slow" ahead of me today it appears. 

Dew Point of 61F this morning.  Even though temps were still high (77F), the lower DP made things a bit less "ugh".

ETA:  Dammit, wrong thread.  This isn't the one where we obsess about the weather.  Nevermind!

What's up! The Yoga mention pulled me in. 

Have been doing nightly walks/jogs with the GF since near the start of lockdown. Usually about ~3miles. Nothing crazy but has been a nice evening ritual. Keep a good pace that has heart rate up and ya good and sweaty. 

Started working in some basic dumbbell exercises at the start of July (have Bowflex Adjustables). Mid July I hit up a buddy's wife for a more detailed plan, as she's a published ASCM-CPT from her days in NYC. She got all into it and I now have an alternating 2 day workout that's pretty thorough using just 2 dumbbells and body weight. Been increasing weight gradually, and she's reviewing my progress and adjusting the program weekly.

Generally 7-8 exercises a day, 2 sets per exercise. I knock it out in about 30mins between morning meetings, while watching the news. Use Gymaholic app to track. Nice app. 

Had started doing the 2 days then taking a rest day (to mitigate injury) but quickly started lifting every day. Actually felt better doing that so it was Interesting reading Maurile's comments on rest days above. 

Have also started using MyFitnessPal again to track caloric input and macros. Going high protein. Gf is using Noom so Ive been building our meal plans around their Green>Yellow>Red principle. That's been helpful guidance too. Lots of veggies, way more rice and potatoes for starches and cut almost all pasta, lean(ish) proteins like cod, chicken breast, tuna, shrimp, sirloin. 

I'm feeling better than I have in years. Resting heart rate is down ~15bpm. Body starting to tighten up. Already seeing definition surfacing in a few areas. Energy levels increasing. Generally just "feel great" (that body buzz you get). 

The question: 

Been doing good at sticking with it so far. Have been thinking about adding Yoga to the mix for flexibility. Is that something you can do 1-2 days a week and pick up results (flexibility mostly)? Or is it something that needs frequency to have any real impact? 

I want to keep strength training at least 5 days a week... my body has typically responded most quickly to it... cutting fat and changing my body shape. That said my flexibility is diminishing with age and I'd like to fight that a bit. 

TIA. 

Eh. It's a good program because it builds your strength up.  There were poses we did early on that I struggled with that are easy now.  I remember thinking downward facing dog was hard and then I remember Adriene saying that she felt the same way when she started and couldn't believe that they called it a "rest pose" but now she's progressed.  I totally feel the same way. It didn't take long before I got used to it and built some arm strength and had the calf flexibility to touch my heels to the floor if I wanted to or "pedal it out" like she says.  It gets a lot easier.  But it's part of the process. 

I also know that there are poses that are more difficult for me than others and vice versa. I have no problem sitting criss cross applesauce but I have a hard time with sun salutations when she's barking out forward fold lift to flat back then back to forward fold. It takes me longer to fold than a twenty something with 4 percent body fat. It's not a big deal. I go at my pace, and I don't go as slowly to mountain pose because I don't want to short change that next plank or warrior two or whatever. 

It's such a good whole body exercise. I definitely feel better and can see a difference in my ability to do these poses, but also see some differences in the mirror too. 

Stick with it, newbs, and keep up with the reports for our entertainment and so the next group of newbs can read your progress and know that they will get there too. 
Yup I know.  I was mainly messing around as my intent is not to discourage anyone.  This isn't the thread for that.  It does get harder but the body also adapts.  That's why I said "keep at it".  

On another note, I find it hard to believe that Adriene actually struggled at this at one point.  She makes these stretches look so effortless.  

eaganwildcats said:
Is that what it recommended you or did you just pick it? I have "low and slow" ahead of me today it appears. 
That’s what it recommended next.  Did you ever do that one?

We're now 4 days in with YWA, doing the 30-day one from 2015.  Day 4 is back.  My lower back has always been a problem spot for me so I really liked this one.  It seemed like the easiest so far as well. 

Still the shoulder work in just basic downward dog has my shoulders 'hot' right now, and I can feel it in my core and glutes/hams.

Keep it up!

[icon] said:

Have been doing nightly walks/jogs with the GF since near the start of lockdown. Usually about ~3miles. Nothing crazy but has been a nice evening ritual. Keep a good pace that has heart rate up and ya good and sweaty. 

Started working in some basic dumbbell exercises at the start of July (have Bowflex Adjustables). Mid July I hit up a buddy's wife for a more detailed plan, as she's a published ASCM-CPT from her days in NYC. She got all into it and I now have an alternating 2 day workout that's pretty thorough using just 2 dumbbells and body weight. Been increasing weight gradually, and she's reviewing my progress and adjusting the program weekly.

Generally 7-8 exercises a day, 2 sets per exercise. I knock it out in about 30mins between morning meetings, while watching the news. Use Gymaholic app to track. Nice app. 

Had started doing the 2 days then taking a rest day (to mitigate injury) but quickly started lifting every day. Actually felt better doing that so it was Interesting reading Maurile's comments on rest days above. 

Have also started using MyFitnessPal again to track caloric input and macros. Going high protein. Gf is using Noom so Ive been building our meal plans around their Green>Yellow>Red principle. That's been helpful guidance too. Lots of veggies, way more rice and potatoes for starches and cut almost all pasta, lean(ish) proteins like cod, chicken breast, tuna, shrimp, sirloin. 

I'm feeling better than I have in years. Resting heart rate is down ~15bpm. Body starting to tighten up. Already seeing definition surfacing in a few areas. Energy levels increasing. Generally just "feel great" (that body buzz you get). 

The question: 

Been doing good at sticking with it so far. Have been thinking about adding Yoga to the mix for flexibility. Is that something you can do 1-2 days a week and pick up results (flexibility mostly)? Or is it something that needs frequency to have any real impact? 

I want to keep strength training at least 5 days a week... my body has typically responded most quickly to it... cutting fat and changing my body shape. That said my flexibility is diminishing with age and I'd like to fight that a bit. 

TIA. 
Paging @urbanhack

@[icon] short answer, yes.  2 will be better than 1.  with these super short sessions with Adriene, it's pretty easy to add to any workout.  and the beginner ones are fairly easy.  

Negative. Weird. 
I had a minor glitch early on where it didn’t seem to register at first that I’d done the 1,000 meters (I had).  So I went ahead and did the ladders thing anyway.  Then I think I went back and did the 1,000, or it just advanced me (I forget which), but anyway this is where I’ve ended up.  

I paid for the subscription, no idea if that has anything to do with it.  

Day 2 of pain poses was great.  I like how she keeps telling me to focus on my intentions, as I can feel ligaments and cartilage detaching from bone.

Also, bet you guys didn’t know that you can stand on the tops of your feet too.  Turns out that’s a thing. And it feels super great.

Thanks Adriene!

Hi yoga people. Day 2 of 30 days is today for those of us doing this together, but anyone can start at any time. 

For those of us doing the beginner flow (the original 2015 30 days of yoga) https://youtu.be/TB2ISQZ5Mb0

For those doing the more advanced June 2020 Courage program, today's video is a short one - not even 20 minutes https://youtu.be/3NtNAQodk8E

@krista4 @fred_1_15301 @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats @Dickies @Ministry of Pain @[icon] 

Maybe it's just me, but one of my biggest problems with the yoga is that I have no idea what any of the moves are, so I have to keep craning my neck to see what she is doing.  While in positions where my head is down, it gets uncomfortable.  I'm assuming that you start to pick up what to do just by her voice by the time we're on day 30?

Maybe it's just me, but one of my biggest problems with the yoga is that I have no idea what any of the moves are, so I have to keep craning my neck to see what she is doing.  While in positions where my head is down, it gets uncomfortable.  I'm assuming that you start to pick up what to do just by her voice by the time we're on day 30?
You're correct.  Give it a few days and you'll start to pick up the moves without having to look up much.

I have the same problem too.  It's funny because it's so natural for her.  She's like "ok, now if you want you can fold into a baby crab here, or otherwise just transition from a chupacabra into a downward sardine or back towards a silly cobra, you know the way."  Meanwhile I have no idea wtf she's talking about.

I have the same problem too.  It's funny because it's so natural for her.  She's like "ok, now if you want you can fold into a baby crab here, or otherwise just transition from a chupacabra into a downward sardine or back towards a silly cobra, you know the way."  Meanwhile I have no idea wtf she's talking about.
I look at the position, see the arm placement, then try to replicate and quickly realize my body cannot contort itself into even the same general concept, but she makes it look totally effortless.  

But hey, we're doing it and we can only get better at it.  :hifive:

Sometimes it seems like yoga is an elaborate hoax dreamed up by jwvdcw.

I do not like doing yoga on TV or video.  In a classroom setting you can also look at the student next to you or in front of you or the instructor. I find it much easier in the classroom, but know that is not an option for all most all of us right now.

Once you get used to the terminology and the transition between positions (full sun salutation or some of the variations) then it starts to become easier.

:lmao:   there's a flow to yoga, that you will start to get as you go along.  Ariel is pretty constant with her moves.  forward fold, half lift, back down, plank, down dog, lunge, warrior.  give it a chance.

I watched on a tablet that I put on the floor next to my mat when I started. Moved it around if i needed to or paused it once in a rare while. If I were starting over I might even try watching it on the tv and tablet at the same time with the volume off on one.  

And for the yoga noobs, it’s totally ok if you’re not perfect. Hint, none of us are. I got lost, in one of today’s practices with Aryanna 

oh, and F the side planks that finished day 16. 

PS I don’t have a mat.  I do it on a carpet on a hardwood floor.  It’s fun sitting on my knees and ankles. Helps me understand my intention, which is to get up and go find something else to do that isn’t painful. 

PS I don’t have a mat.  I do it on a carpet on a hardwood floor.  It’s fun sitting on my knees and ankles. Helps me understand my intention, which is to get up and go find something else to do that isn’t painful. 
:lmao:   the mats don't do much.  i am doing mine on the carpet.  for any long stretches of time on the knees, i put a folded blanket under them.

:lmao:   the mats don't do much.  i am doing mine on the carpet.  for any long stretches of time on the knees, i put a folded blanket under them.
True but I’m not sure I would want to be doing it on hardwood floors.

ETA - oops misread his post

Well, two days in. Didn’t do any pushups today but that’s ok because Sarah has me doing dancing frog poses aplenty, and that was after a pretty killer row. 

Imma really do this 28 more days?  Tf???

Day 2 of Courage was unexpectedly easy, which was good timing because it was also a hundredpushups.com day. I'm still early in the program so it was five sets of 10+ but supposedly I'll be doing 100 plus in a few weeks. The one modification I'm taking is I'm going to give myself more than a minute between sets. Not like 5 minutes or anything, but I think my form suffers too much if I try to push through. Did a couple miles on the treadmill to finish the day. It's a lot of total time exercising but spread out throughout my day and most of it is just habit now so it's been pretty easy to sustain. 

These ywa are a bit on the easy side on the 30 day ones.   Jmo.  

I haven't found really the right YouTube yoga yet.  The app Alo moves I tried but that #### about killed me.  

[icon] said:

The question: 

TIA. 
Can you share the dumbbell workouts?  

These ywa are a bit on the easy side on the 30 day ones.   Jmo.  

I haven't found really the right YouTube yoga yet.  The app Alo moves I tried but that #### about killed me.  
What are you looking for from a difficult/challenging session? More time? More flow/less breaks between moves? More new and interesting moves?  More strength or flexibility or calories burned?

Sure! 

here are the exercise lists for the two days.  I build / track the workouts in Gymaholic app. Cheap subscription. 

She tweaks them every two weeks. I use an ottoman in place of a bench.

Bench presses are with my Upper back on the ottoman and feet on the ground. I like being able to get deeper than possible on the floor. 

Thanks.  And thats funny, im at my in-laws for the month and just today started using their ottoman and a few dumbbells I brought with me since i had no other option

What are you looking for from a difficult/challenging session? More time? More flow/less breaks between moves? More new and interesting moves?  More strength or flexibility or calories burned?
I'm usually looking for more flow that does have a few isometric holds in the mix without any meditation.  Also don't mind working balance. Alo was lol, it was like here's the basic stuff and if you want more do this, and the modified low intensity was damn near over my head.  

Flexibility wise if I feel I need it I do difrancos limber 11, which is good prehab.  I wouldn't mind getting a bit more hip stuff but Joe has me covered if not. 

Users who are viewing this thread