What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (2 Viewers)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
What if I told you the primary gun he used (full auto Russian machine gun) was already illegal. Is the goal here to make them more illegaler? 

Last edited by a moderator:
What if I told you the primary gun he used (full auto Russian machine gun) were already illegal. Is the goal here to make them more illegaler? 
They would say they want to to continue to make it harder and harder to acquire and make the buy/sale penalties much more harsh then anything you have today.

Just ban rich people. 

I'd buy an assault rifle if I had an extra $40,000 to $60,000 just laying around.  A 1918 BAR would be sweet.  I'd settle for an MG-42, but I'd probably just melt the barrel the first day.

This is true. I still think the problem lies with people, not guns. If the desire is there to kill a large number of people, they will find a way. 

The thread asks why does someone need an assault rifle. There are millions of assault rifles in this country and very few of them are used for mass murders. 
But that doesn't answer the question.

If we had a million suitcase style nukes owned by US civilians, and let's say only one went off every few years in the US.....that doesn't mean those people need them.

This is silly.

They would say they want to to continue to make it harder and harder to acquire and make the buy/sale penalties much more harsh then anything you have today.
What are the penalties for owning one today? 

Do you think the threat of stiffer penalties would have dissuaded someone who was suicidal?

But that doesn't answer the question.

If we had a million suitcase style nukes owned by US civilians, and let's say only one went off every few years in the US.....that doesn't mean those people need them.

This is silly.
Fair enough. We need very little to exist. Outside of that it's considered a luxury. 

Why, have they been listening to your pro-gun arguments? 
I was under the impression you wanted to discuss the topic... please avoid the personal attacks. 

What is the current penalty for fully auto weapons. 

What should the penalty be? 

Will that penalty deter a suicidal person? 

You gotta admit...comparing cigarettes to assault rifles is a HORRIBLE comparison.

Think about it.
I will. But only because it effects the smoker. Where as a gun effects others. But, if their weren't mass shootings would the OP's question still be asked? It then becomes a question about saving lives.

How many people need to die from assault weapon rampages before the select few give up being purposely obtuse?

Why not? Why would that bother you?

#### it....make it a million dollar fine if caught with an illegal gun.
While we're at it can we make it a million dollar fine for driving drunk. A lot of people die each year due to drunk drivers. The victims had no way to avoid that either. 

What if I told you the primary gun he used (full auto Russian machine gun) was already illegal. Is the goal here to make them more illegaler? 
I say ban the importing, sale, manufacturing and owning of assault weapons and ammo. Only law enforcement and military have access to them. Start a government buy-back program.
It'll take decades to get them out of circulation but we have to start somewhere. It took generations to devolve into this state, it'll take just as long to get out.

While we're at it can we make it a million dollar fine for driving drunk. A lot of people die each year due to drunk drivers. The victims had no way to avoid that either. 
Can't remember the last time a single drunk driver purposely killed 59 people and injured 600 others in a matter of minutes. 

You're on the wrong side of history, guy. We need to be smarter than this.

Can't remember the last time a single drunk driver purposely killed 59 people and injured 600 others in a matter of minutes. 

Good luck with that given the audience. 

My point was that the victims had no way to avoid it. 

Good luck with that given the audience. 
More personal attacks. 

I get that emotions are raw because of the events of the last 24 hours. But, the facts already show that the shooter acquired illegal guns. People will find ways to circumvent the laws. 

More personal attacks. 

I get that emotions are raw because of the events of the last 24 hours. But, the facts already show that the shooter acquired illegal guns. People will find ways to circumvent the laws. 
What's the saying, Laws aren't for criminals? 

What's the saying, Laws aren't for criminals? 
Then, as Icon pointed out, does someone determined to commit a mass shooting really care about how they get their assault rifle. We live in a global world. I'm wouldn't be surprised if you could 3D print an assault rifle. (or at least most of the parts)

Then, as Icon pointed out, does someone determined to commit a mass shooting really care about how they get their assault rifle. We live in a global world. I'm wouldn't be surprised if you could 3D print an assault rifle. (or at least most of the parts)
I am a believer that if someone wants to kill someone/something/people they will. 

I'm all for some laws, I'm all for adding teeth to existing ones. But let's not mistake activity for productivity.

I'm all for legislation that exerts maximum impact on criminals while minimally impacting the rights of law abiding citizens. 

If the only layer of discussion is "ban everything that's not a shotgun or pistol", I don't think this going to be any more of a  productive discussion than "screw you, no changes in laws" stance would be from the other side.

I'm curious, for those advocating banning assault rifles: 

1) What is your perceived percentage of gun injuries or deaths that are a result of "assault weapons" vs handguns? 

2) What is your projected decline in gun related deaths assuming, hypothetically, the ban is 100% effective in removing all assault rifles from the regular and black market? 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread