What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (2 Viewers)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
So these rifles used 100rd extended magazines and bump/slide fire stocks to simulate automatic rate of fire.

Both are currently legal. I've stated repeatedly I dont think either should be legal and should be felonies tied to possession.

I'm personally fine with banning any extended capacity (anything over the standard 30rd mag) magazine. 
How the #### is a 100 round extended magazine legal? Need it if 100 zombies are chasing you?

icon, buddy2k, etc....I know you guys are on the other side of the overall gun control topic... but I respectfully ask you to push back on the NRA when they are trying allow some BS like this (you know damn well along the line at some point they were pushing for mahazijnes like this to be allowed). If you don't agree with something, speak up. Don't let your loyalty to guns in general let them pass all sorts of ludicrous gun laws. It's just insane.

I salute @[icon] - he really comes off as someone that is a highly responsible gun owner. I have no doubts that he would ever illegally use them, sell them, or carelessly leave them around to be found. If all gun owners were like that, I don't know if it would be such an issue. 

Here is the reality though; like all things, there are bad apples, and we know those apples spoil the bunch. Life isn't fair, and just like life, the responsible owners need to give something up (that they enjoy) that holds no value to anyone, for the greater good of humanity. While I think it will be a long ugly process, I really feel the argument has been shifting over the last couple of years. 

Unfortunately, I think we'll still see another couple of these horrible incidents in the upcoming years, but I do think realistic change is coming for assault rifles within the next decade or so. 

How the #### is a 100 round extended magazine legal? Need it if 100 zombies are chasing you?

icon, buddy2k, etc....I know you guys are on the other side of the overall gun control topic... but I respectfully ask you to push back on the NRA when they are trying allow some BS like this (you know damn well along the line at some point they were pushing for mahazijnes like this to be allowed). If you don't agree with something, speak up. Don't let your loyalty to guns in general let them pass all sorts of ludicrous gun laws. It's just insane.
I am not an NRA Member and don't care to support some of their tactics. At the same time, the problem with this issue is both sides are becoming increasingly polarized. The further the left goes out on the "ban guns" branch... the further the right goes out on the "right to bear arms" branch. (left and right are relative/symbolic for sake of arguement in this case) 

I disagree with several stances they've taken, including the legality of #### like the bumpfire stocks and extended magazines, but am grateful for the overall lobbying power to counteract the lobbying power on the other side of the fence and have managed to preserve the basic American right to bear arms. 

Big picture.. I ####### hate that lobbyists have such power and influence in Washington. 

Last edited by a moderator:

So, you don't actually need an assault rifle either. Except obviously for the zombie apocalypse
With all due respect, I'll no longer be engaging posts containing excessive hyperbole or statements that take a tone that trivializes potential civil unrest situations as "Zombie Apocalypse". That sort of stuff makes it clear you're not interested in rational discourse and let's me know there's no reason to attempt to have an intelligent discussion with you. 

It'll save us both some time and a headache. Cheers :thumbup:  

I salute @[icon] - he really comes off as someone that is a highly responsible gun owner. I have no doubts that he would ever illegally use them, sell them, or carelessly leave them around to be found. If all gun owners were like that, I don't know if it would be such an issue. 
Thanks GB. I'm a FC42 fan as well. I completely understand your perspective and respect your adherence to your views on the matter. You joke around about some stuff but generally present your ideas in a respectful and productive manner :thumbup:   

I seriously don't know how America can stop these types of events from happening.  I really think with the love people have for guns that this will continue to happen over and over again.  And, it is not the gun lovers fault that crazy people have access to guns that can handle many many rounds.     Sad times we live in folks.    This could happen again any day at the local fair, zoo, school, church or ballgame.  Saddest part about all of this is that there is not a damn thing that can be done about it.   Just people shouting at each other from across the room and not coming to any to type of solution.    My neighbor who for all accounts is a great guy, loves his family, willing to help out a neighbor in a heartbeat.   He owns literally 1000's of rounds of ammunition.  Keeps them locked up in a safe.   Purchased 1000's of rounds during Obama's Presidency thinking that they would be banned, or not easily accessible.  He is a college educated man, and there is no way in hell you are going to change his mind about guns, ammo and his right to bear arms.    So, again nothing can or will change.      rant over 
We regulate all sorts of things so crazy people don't have access to them.

We regulate all sorts of things so crazy people don't have access to them.
Yet they do. Instead of worrying about objects we should be really working on the mental health issues in the country. But that's very difficult so lets just keep going around and around and around about laws that will change little. 

This thing still going? I basically gave up after Sandy Hook. If #### doesn’t change after 20 kindergarteners get murdered, it ain’t changing. 

BTW, I recently became the owner of a shotgun.  I’m unlikely to get very far in causing mass carnage if ever I flip my lid, but it gives me a little peace of mind knowing I have some protection in the event of the zombie apocalypse or the crash of the financial markets or some massive natural disaster.  I also can understand not wanting to have any gun in the home, as I was of that mind for many years.  Ultimately the “I’d rather have it and never need it, than need it and not have it” mentality prevailed for me.  But I get both sides of it.

What I don’t get is the guys with arsenals in their homes, and the guys who are pushing hard on the notion that the 2nd amendment allows me to have fully automatic M16 assault rifles.   Nobody needs that ####.  

Unless the zombies come. :unsure:

Yet they do. Instead of worrying about objects we should be really working on the mental health issues in the country. But that's very difficult so lets just keep going around and around and around about laws that will change little. 
But again, I'm not allowed to make anthrax in my backyard.  You know how few anthrax attacks there are?  Do you think not allowing normal people to have anthrax or being able to buy it at wal-mart, pretty much no questions asked, has an impact?  Do you think if it could be bought for next to nothing at a store would there be  more or less anthrax attacks.  Do you feel that regulating it's use is good or bad?  is it just punishing the good people that want to just have fun with it?

People who argue in favor of legalized assault rifles are not smart people.  

:shrug:

BTW, I recently became the owner of a shotgun.  I’m unlikely to get very far in causing mass carnage if ever I flip my lid, but it gives me a little peace of mind knowing I have some protection in the event of the zombie apocalypse or the crash of the financial markets or some massive natural disaster.  I also can understand not wanting to have any gun in the home, as I was of that mind for many years.  Ultimately the “I’d rather have it and never need it, than need it and not have it” mentality prevailed for me.  But I get both sides of it.

What I don’t get is the guys with arsenals in their homes, and the guys who are pushing hard on the notion that the 2nd amendment allows me to have fully automatic M16 assault rifles.   Nobody needs that ####.  

Wow, you're so smart.

Just to be clear. Having a shotgun makes you feel safer in your home? It's better than not having a gun at all? Why didn't you buy pepper spray or a stun gun? Could it be because those things didn't make you feel as safe as having a shotgun? But, if someone feels safer having an AR15, instead of a shotgun because it makes them feel safer, that person is stupid. 

Wow, you're so smart.

Just to be clear. Having a shotgun makes you feel safer in your home? It's better than not having a gun at all? Why didn't you buy pepper spray or a stun gun? Could it be because those things didn't make you feel as safe as having a shotgun? But, if someone feels safer having an AR15, instead of a shotgun because it makes them feel safer, that person is stupid. 
How about we build a society where i don't have to feel unsafe in my home?

Wow, you're so smart.

At some point, the whims of the one become outweighed by the concerns of the many.  If Vegas isn't a good enough example for you of why freely available automatic assault rifles are a bad idea, I just can't help you.  Nobody can. 

PS gun nerds: nobody is saying you can't have guns.  Obama isn't coming to take all your guns.  We're just saying you shouldn't have guns that are designed for the expedient slaughter of innocents. HTH

At some point, the whims of the one become outweighed by the concerns of the many.  If Vegas isn't a good enough example for you of why freely available automatic assault rifles are a bad idea, I just can't help you.  Nobody can. 
To be clear, I wasn't asking for help. But since you brought it up, what makes you think that my opinion is so wrong that you need to help me. If that many people agree with banning assault rifles, then laws will be passed and I will have to accept it. I think the Vegas attack was a horrible thing. The same way I feel the Oklahoma City bombing was horrible, or 9/11 was horrible. Why does Vegas have to be the only example? As I already mentioned thousands of innocent people die because of drunk drivers each year. Just because it didn't happen all at one time, somehow that makes it less horrible. But, I don't see people calling for million dollar fines for those drinking and driving. 

PS gun nerds: nobody is saying you can't have guns.  Obama isn't coming to take all your guns.  We're just saying you shouldn't have guns that are designed for the expedient slaughter of innocents. HTH
Can you define what falls into this category? 

To be clear, I wasn't asking for help. But since you brought it up, what makes you think that my opinion is so wrong that you need to help me. If that many people agree with banning assault rifles, then laws will be passed and I will have to accept it. I think the Vegas attack was a horrible thing. The same way I feel the Oklahoma City bombing was horrible, or 9/11 was horrible. Why does Vegas have to be the only example? As I already mentioned thousands of innocent people die because of drunk drivers each year. Just because it didn't happen all at one time, somehow that makes it less horrible. But, I don't see people calling for million dollar fines for those drinking and driving. 
Do you think more or less people would die if drunk driving was legal instead of illegal?  I'm a good driver when i'm drunk and i enjoy it so why should i be punished for people that can't handle their alcohol???

Actually doesn't make you safer it does the exact opposite and it makes it more likely that you or a family is killed or injured by a gun. 

Do you think more or less people would die if drunk driving was legal instead of illegal?  I'm a good driver when i'm drunk and i enjoy it so why should i be punished for people that can't handle their alcohol???
I'll assume this is trolling. 

Would more or less people die if driving drunk was an automatic $250k fine and 10 years in jail?

I'll assume this is trolling. 

Would more or less people die if driving drunk was an automatic $250k fine and 10 years in jail?
I would bet an unlimited amount of money that yes, much less people would die, and I would support those changes personally

the question was serious.  Does prohibiting drinking and driving work? I.e. does it reduce the number of deaths when compared to if it was legal?

I would bet an unlimited amount of money that yes, much less people would die, and I would support those changes personally

the question was serious.  Does prohibiting drinking and driving work? I.e. does it reduce the number of deaths when compared to if it was legal?
I'm guessing this is the point of your question: drunk driving is legal, more people die = If assault rifles are legal more people die. 

Because your opinion kills people.  Mine just keeps nerds from their nerd toys.

People who argue in favor of legalized assault rifles are not smart people.  

:shrug:
I don't think that's true. I do think they're stubborn, uncompassionate and selfish though. They don't care how many people die, just as long as they have their guns in case of *DUN DUN DUUUN*... "civil unrest".

Serious answer, so you can shoot longer without reloading. Nobody says I want to go to loading. They want to go shooting. 
So you are lazy and selfish. Much rather to not have to reload so who cares if it makes it harder to have mass shootings. 

Amazing that everyone feels I'm such a threat. As if I alone decide whether or not assault rifles are banned. Same people that argued in other threads about the right to free speech. Just not now. And for that, I've been call not smart and now lazy and selfish. 

I didn't know I held such power. But thanks. 

I haven't read through the thread, cause it is too long. I'm just going to express my opinion as a gun owner. I own a handgun. I believe in the right to own one. I believe in background checks. Extensive ones. I do not believe in the right to own assault rifles. There is just too much carnage that can be done with one. If someone breaks into your house, unless it is an army, you shouldn't need an assault rifle. If you are a hunter, you shouldn't need an assault rifle. So many of these mass shootings have happened with assault rifles, and so many gang banging attacks have been done with assault rifles. I am aware that if someone wants to kill people they will find a way, but do we have to make it so easy to massacre so many so fast? There will be more mass shootings in the future, but can't we at least put a dent in the number of casualties by banning assault rifles?  We have to make a change to something, and we can make a change to that. If you want to handle and shoot an assault rifle, the military is always accepting applications.

Amazing that everyone feels I'm such a threat. As if I alone decide whether or not assault rifles are banned. Same people that argued in other threads about the right to free speech. Just not now. And for that, I've been call not smart and now lazy and selfish. 

I didn't know I held such power. But thanks. 
So would you rather lower the ability of a mass murder to pump out rounds at innocent people or deal with the hassle of changing a magazine. Your prior posts indicate you are more focused on interfering with your enjoyment. 

So would you rather lower the ability of a mass murder to pump out rounds at innocent people or deal with the hassle of changing a magazine. Your prior posts indicate you are more focused on interfering with your enjoyment. 
I think you're way off base. I answered the question. You directed it at me. For the record, I don't own an assault rifle. The closest thing I have is a 22 caliber rifle with a 25 round clip.  I've used it for prairie dog hunting where you can go through 10 rounds pretty quick. The next closest thing is my glock 9mm with a 17 round clip. I'm not at risk of losing anything if there was a ban on assault rifles. 

I think you're way off base. I answered the question. You directed it at me. For the record, I don't own an assault rifle. The closest thing I have is a 22 caliber rifle with a 25 round clip.  I've used it for prairie dog hunting where you can go through 10 rounds pretty quick. The next closest thing is my glock 9mm with a 17 round clip. I'm not at risk of losing anything if there was a ban on assault rifles. 
Magazine. 

I've always been fairly pro gun but I must admit, Vegas makes me reconsider. 

One problem with you guys and your ban on OMGAsSuLt RiFlEz is you clearly don't understand what the hell it is you're talking about. There are hundreds of guns that are more powerful and lethal than a ####y AR-15. 

I'm not against a ban and I'm certainly not against more regulation but I honestly don't think it will make one bit of difference other than it will be a money grab for agencies and the same nutjobs and criminals will still get their hands on weapons. 

For the most part, very good discussion and debate in this thread. I just want to reiterate that Icon and Ditkaless Wonders, two guys that I often disagree with on political issues (and, largely, on this issue as well), are two of the most knowledgeable guys on this issue that I have encounted. And better yet they are always willing to share their knowledge.

Whatever my disagreements are with you guys, I REALLY REALLY appreciate your input in these discussions. I've learned a lot. :thumbup:

I've always been fairly pro gun but I must admit, Vegas makes me reconsider. 

One problem with you guys and your ban on OMGAsSuLt RiFlEz is you clearly don't understand what the hell it is you're talking about. There are hundreds of guns that are more powerful and lethal than a ####y AR-15. 

I'm not against a ban and I'm certainly not against more regulation but I honestly don't think it will make one bit of difference other than it will be a money grab for agencies and the same nutjobs and criminals will still get their hands on weapons. 
Here's my problem with your conclusion: we had a ban on many of these weapons for 10 years. It was imperfect: it wasn't retroactive, people could still purchase other weapons just as deadly, criminals and nutjobs could still buy weapons if they pushed hard for them, etc. Yet, despite all that, the statistics show that this sort of gun violence and mass shootings really did go down during those years. There were some, but not as many. It appears that the ban really did make a difference.

Based on that, I want to try again.

Users who are viewing this thread