What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (1 Viewer)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
One problem with you guys and your ban on OMGAsSuLt RiFlEz is you clearly don't understand what the hell it is you're talking about. There are hundreds of guns that are more powerful and lethal than a ####y AR-15. 
This. I am not even sure what people think an "assault" rifle is any more. If it looks scary, "assault rifle". If it holds more than 10 bulllets in a magazine, "assault rifle", if you can fire rounds quickly, "assault rifle". 

This. I am not even sure what people think an "assault" rifle is any more. If it looks scary, "assault rifle". If it holds more than 10 bulllets in a magazine, "assault rifle", if you can fire rounds quickly, "assault rifle". 
I don't think anybody should have a fully automatic rifle. I think it should be against the law to convert a rifle into a fully automatic rifle. I think that all devices, like bump stocks, that allow for that should be illegal to own, and there should be severe penalties.

That seems simple enough to me. Am I missing something? Do you disagree? If so, please explain; I'm willing to listen.

But, I don't see people calling for million dollar fines for those drinking and driving. 
To be fair, it's a pretty steep fine already, especially compared to other similar things like texting and driving.  And it has made some impact, maybe not to the extent you'd like, but impact none the less. 

ETA: in a lot of states a second or third DUI means you do some time. Loose your well paying job because you're locked up adds up to more than a million dollars. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anybody should have a fully automatic rifle. I think it should be against the law to convert a rifle into a fully automatic rifle. I think that all devices, like bump stocks, that allow for that should be illegal to own, and there should be severe penalties.

That seems simple enough to me. Am I missing something? Do you disagree? If so, please explain; I'm willing to listen.
Very few people own truly fully automatic rifles and you need a very expensive license to do so. It is against the law to convert a rifle to fully automatic. Yes, bump stocks are legal and its because they do not convert the weapon to a mechanical fully automatic weapon. There is actually a technique to shooting bump stocks and while yes they allow the weapon to be fired much faster, its just not pulling the trigger and bullets fly. Want to ban them, that is fine by me. Want to ban an "assault rifle"? They are already illegal. 

To be fair, it's a pretty steep fine already, especially compared to other similar things like texting and driving.  And it has made some impact, maybe not to the extent you'd like, but impact none the less. 
I politely disagree. It took a 4th offense for my father in law to finally lose his license for 15 years. That was just the 4th time he was caught. A guy I've seen fall down from drinking and he was allowed to keep his license for decades. His final offense came at 10 o'clock in the morning. 

Very few people own truly fully automatic rifles and you need a very expensive license to do so. It is against the law to convert a rifle to fully automatic. Yes, bump stocks are legal and its because they do not convert the weapon to a mechanical fully automatic weapon. There is actually a technique to shooting bump stocks and while yes they allow the weapon to be fired much faster, its just not pulling the trigger and bullets fly. Want to ban them, that is fine by me. Want to ban an "assault rifle"? They are already illegal. 
Glad you agree. I have found that most responsible gun owners agree with most reasonable gun control proposals, and the polls bear this out.

The NRA, however, does not agree, and neither do the Republican politicians affiliated with them. What shall we do about that?

I politely disagree. It took a 4th offense for my father in law to finally lose his license for 15 years. That was just the 4th time he was caught. A guy I've seen fall down from drinking and he was allowed to keep his license for decades. His final offense came at 10 o'clock in the morning. 
What state and how long ago was that?  How many times did he plead down?

Nebraska. He's been without a license for about 8 years. The four offenses were spread out over 20 years. He lost his job at the Post Office after the 3rd offense. He didn't have any plead down. That's how he accumulated his 4th. 

Glad you agree. I have found that most responsible gun owners agree with most reasonable gun control proposals, and the polls bear this out.

The NRA, however, does not agree, and neither do the Republican politicians affiliated with them. What shall we do about that?
I also don't believe banning them changes a thing. It will make people like you feel safer and like you did something but once again, if people want to kill people, they will. In 94 Clinton got his ban on large capacity mags and the next year we had an American citizen bomb and kill 180 people. 

I also don't believe banning them changes a thing. Will make people like you feel safer and like you did something but once again, if people want to kill people, they will. In 94 Clinton got his ban on large capacity mags and the next year we had an American citizen bomb and kill 180 people. 
Again, I would point out that the assault weapons ban, imperfect as it was, did have a positive impact. So I'm willing to try again. Some of these things will work, some won't. I want to stress that I don't want to take away your rights. We need to find ways to make it harder for the bad guys without hurting you and all of the other responsible gun owners out there. Everything that I'm in favor of has that in mind.

Nebraska. He's been without a license for about 8 years. The four offenses were spread out over 20 years. He lost his job at the Post Office after the 3rd offense. He didn't have any plead down. That's how he accumulated his 4th. 
How much do you think his job was worth to him?  I wouldn't trade my job for a million dollars at the point in my life where I almost ended up where he did. I don't drink and drive anymore, so it's made a difference. 

So what this Vegas guy used they are calling "semiautomatic assault-style rifles". I understand that he modified them in a way to make them illegal (bumpstocks?) but even without the modifications, what would be the purpose in owning a "semiautomatic assault-style rifle"? What w eould do with it?

What's your stance on the 100 round magazines that icon said was legal there?

Again, I would point out that the assault weapons ban, imperfect as it was, did have a positive impact. So I'm willing to try again. Some of these things will work, some won't. I want to stress that I don't want to take away your rights. We need to find ways to make it harder for the bad guys without hurting you and all of the other responsible gun owners out there. Everything that I'm in favor of has that in mind.
A year after it passes a crazy white male who was upset with his government killed 180 (that number could be wrong) via a bombing. You can't stop crazy. 

How much do you think his job was worth to him?  I wouldn't trade my job for a million dollars at the point in my life where I almost ended up where he did. I don't drink and drive anymore, so it's made a difference. 
The obvious answer is that alcohol or cars are not the problem. He is the problem. The courts failed to recognize this after the 2nd offense. He should have had mandatory AA, long term monitoring to correct the problem. But, since he had money for a lawyer, he was able to get off with very little follow up. 

I would trade my job for a million dollars tomorrow. Where do I sign?

So what this Vegas guy used they are calling "semiautomatic assault-style rifles". I understand that he modified them in a way to make them illegal (bumpstocks?) but even without the modifications, what would be the purpose in owning a "semiautomatic assault-style rifle"? What w eould do with it?

Are you classifying any long gun that has a magazine as a semi-auto assault rifle? 

The obvious answer is that alcohol or cars are not the problem. He is the problem. The courts failed to recognize this after the 2nd offense. He should have had mandatory AA, long term monitoring to correct the problem. But, since he had money for a lawyer, he was able to get off with very little follow up. 
That's equivalent to pleading. 

That's equivalent to pleading. 
Sorry, I was thinking of pleading down to willful reckless driving or a lesser charge. Not when his lawyer makes a case for him that he's a father and grandfather and has a long career at the post office and needs to keep his license to make a living. If it was me, I would have let him live on the street. At least when he's drunk the worst he could do is bump into someone. 

As for the 100 round mags, I have never shot anything like that, but I have shot 50 rounds at a high rate and I ruined the barrel. I honestly can't imagine the use of one without destroying the gun quickly. 

Fine with banning them if it makes people feel better, I just don't think it changes anything. 

Sorry, I was thinking of pleading down to willful reckless driving or a lesser charge. Not when his lawyer makes a case for him that he's a father and grandfather and has a long career at the post office and needs to keep his license to make a living. If it was me, I would have let him live on the street. At least when he's drunk the worst he could do is bump into someone. 
Yeah they don't do that anymore. Thats why I asked how long ago it was. Most states have mandatory minimums. 

Another reason is it's a bad analogy is not all drunk drivers kill people. There is intent and if you do kill someone its involuntary manslaughter at a minimum. 

Another reason is it's a bad analogy is not all drunk drivers kill people. There is intent and if you do kill someone its involuntary manslaughter at a minimum. 
Not sure I follow your thinking. Do all people that own assault rifles kill people? If they do, it's not manslaughter, it's murder. 

I also want to be clear. I'm ok if they want to ban things for the sake of saving peoples lives. Fully automatic weapons should and are be banned from ownership (for the most part). Where are people going to use those? Vegas has places you could go to shoot them in a controlled environment. People still get to have the experience without the risk of harm to others. This could stimulate the economy with jobs. If there was a ban on automatic weapons, then it's time to look at ways people alter guns to make them act like fully automatic. 

What I'm not ok with is the rush to ban everything based on the way something looks. The decisions need to be made out of thought, not just emotion. 

As it has been noted, that document was written when it took about 15 minutes to fire off a 2nd shot. Revising to adhere to 21st century standards is a reasonable request. 
Something I myself have often maintained and currently do maintain.  The question is how?  Many here advocate that it is foolish to believe there will be some sort of gun grab by legislation, beyond of course the desire to currently do a bit of a grab through legislation.  Think about that for a moment.  I maintain that the process should be done correctly, through the existing process of amending the constitution.  I maintain this shows the supremacy of the rule of law and it shows respect to those who will be asked to give up something.  It reassures them that their worst fears will not come true.  That legislation of the moment will not overcome the rule of law and the respect for their rights.  

Many ask how can we get the gun rights side of this debate to trust us, to come to the side of responsible regulation. They mock the fears of the gun rights folks while validating those fears, and not even recognizing that they are doing so.  I suggest honoring the trepidation of the side with Constitutional rights, a culture, whether it is recognized or not, and property rights in ownership.  Honor that, acknowledge that and then show respect for that and the rule of law and the rest may happen.

In this very thread many gun owners and second amendment advocates have suggested the very willingness you seek.  Can this not be worked towards.  Yes a Constitutional amendment is a monumental undertaking.  I happen to believe it worth the effort.  I think many here do as well, you included. We need only put aside our cynicism and decades of rhetoric.

Not sure I follow your thinking. Do all people that own assault rifles kill people? If they do, it's not manslaughter, it's murder. 
You said you don't hear people calling for million dollar fines for people who drive drunk.  You didnt narrow it to only those who killed people doing it, at least not in the post I responded to. 

Manslaughter > $1,000,000

I didn't try to equate the two, you did. 

I think I’m going to buy a rocket launcher. 

Not an automatic rocket, just a semi automatic rocket launcher.  

Serious answer, so you can shoot longer without reloading. Nobody says I want to go to loading. They want to go shooting. 
Me, I would never want the weight of a hundred round magazine.  It makes a weapon difficult to carry, aim , and shoot, and it increases the likelihood the magazine will not sit flush and so will jam.  Also it extends so far the weapon is difficult to manipulate without bumping that magazine into something. It is foolishness, for visual effect in movies mostly.

Also, most nonmilitary grade weapons are in real danger of damaging their barrels if one were to fire that many rounds in rapid succession.  The heat and force from that many rounds is extraordinary.

I hope you feel good about putting your family at risk like this since every study has shown that your family is more likely to be injured or die by a gun then a family that doesn't own a gun.  Link to one such study - https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/160/10/929/140858/Guns-in-the-Home-and-Risk-of-a-Violent-Death-in

The greatest falsehood of this debate is that a gun in a home makes you safer.  It actually does the exact opposite.   
You dont see the error in such a study? They even tell you right there in the study. "These deaths may have been from domestic violence"

So forgive buddyball for not really thinking your link means anything. You are basically saying his family is more at risk now because he may kill them. I cant imagine why he wouldnt take you seriously. 

And this thread is a perfect example of why there will never be gun control reform in the near future. You have all the people thinking that a piece of paper will somehow stop crazy people from doing stupid things and then you have gun owners (which I am not one) trying to defend their rights to own guns.

I know it is raw and people are full of emotion. I have family in Vegas that are shook to their core--they have a timeshare in Mesquite right near this guy. My wife has a co-worker who lost a family member in this shooting. Man, I get it, but all this talk about banning military grade guns and automatic weapons just shows ignorance and nothing good comes of that.

But lets try and find common ground: Let's start understanding the ability to have a real automatic weapon takes paperwork and hoops to jump through--if you don't do this, you are in violation of the law and in big trouble if caught with it. I know a ton of LEO and very few own these.  Now where there is fertile ground to be had IMO and where I can see a compromise had, is lets make conversion kits illegal. Lets start there. Let's entertain limiting mag sizes to say 25 and see where we go. 

But I don't see this going anywhere. You have the anti-gun people (and I base this on past proposed gun control legislation)  that view any gun that looks scary as a threat. AR-15s look scary--pump action shot-guns with folding stocks look scary, but they are not military grade weapons. They still take a person squeezing a trigger multiple times like a handgun to make them work. 

:Legislation needs to come out of common sense, compromise and not from emotion. It can't be a result of one political side winning and the other losing here. This is a tragedy, but just doing something to do something is not the right answer. 

And this thread is a perfect example of why there will never be gun control reform in the near future. You have all the people thinking that a piece of paper will somehow stop crazy people from doing stupid things and then you have gun owners (which I am not one) trying to defend their rights to own guns.

I know it is raw and people are full of emotion. I have family in Vegas that are shook to their core--they have a timeshare in Mesquite right near this guy. My wife has a co-worker who lost a family member in this shooting. Man, I get it, but all this talk about banning military grade guns and automatic weapons just shows ignorance and nothing good comes of that.

But lets try and find common ground: Let's start understanding the ability to have a real automatic weapon takes paperwork and hoops to jump through--if you don't do this, you are in violation of the law and in big trouble if caught with it. I know a ton of LEO and very few own these.  Now where there is fertile ground to be had IMO and where I can see a compromise had, is lets make conversion kits illegal. Lets start there. Let's entertain limiting mag sizes to say 25 and see where we go. 

But I don't see this going anywhere. You have the anti-gun people (and I base this on past proposed gun control legislation)  that view any gun that looks scary as a threat. AR-15s look scary--pump action shot-guns with folding stocks look scary, but they are not military grade weapons. They still take a person squeezing a trigger multiple times like a handgun to make them work. 

:Legislation needs to come out of common sense, compromise and not from emotion. It can't be a result of one political side winning and the other losing here. This is a tragedy, but just doing something to do something is not the right answer. 
It all makes sense unfortunately, that doesn't matter.

Again, no common ground.  Do you want a society with guns or without?

Even if you think without there will be mass shootings.  But it will be less and less over a lifetime.

BTW, I recently became the owner of a shotgun.  I’m unlikely to get very far in causing mass carnage if ever I flip my lid, but it gives me a little peace of mind knowing I have some protection in the event of the zombie apocalypse or the crash of the financial markets or some massive natural disaster.  I also can understand not wanting to have any gun in the home, as I was of that mind for many years.  Ultimately the “I’d rather have it and never need it, than need it and not have it” mentality prevailed for me.  But I get both sides of it.

What I don’t get is the guys with arsenals in their homes, and the guys who are pushing hard on the notion that the 2nd amendment allows me to have fully automatic M16 assault rifles.   Nobody needs that ####.  

Unless the zombies come. :unsure:
When the zombies come you are going to want that sikencer...

Ban 'em all and let God sort 'em out

Are you classifying any long gun that has a magazine as a semi-auto assault rifle? 
I'm not classifying anything.  I put the term "semiautomatic assault-style rifles" in quotes because that is exactly how the news articles are describing the Vegas guy's guns. I haven't seen anything yet on the exact make/model of guns he used.

If the guns he used were legal before he easily modified them (which made them illegal and deadlier), how do we fix that? How would we prevent this from occurring again?

I know your answer is "you can't stop crazy" but there has to be a way to at least make it harder for guys like this to do what he did.

We had this discussion at work. I have three employees that have have concealed weapon permits for handguns. One also has hunting rifles. All three said the type of weaponry this guy had should not be allowed outside the military or law enforcement. Of course, banning an item doesn't mean some crackpot will not get their hands on it. May reduce the supply however. I voted to ban. Full disclosure, we all usually vote Republican but we feel these types of weapons have no use. In our state, you can't hunt with them. Other than target practice, why have them. 

I think a good compromise (or at least a good start) is to ban all magazines over 30 rounds. I haven't really seen a good reason yet on why you would need more than 30 rounds.

Yes, there will still be illegal magazines out there that are larger than 30 rounds but banning them is a start. Make it mandatory jail time if found with one.

But we always just do nothing.   Can't seem that is the right answer either. H

I saw it posted in a couple places that during the chaos of the shooting an LVPD officer said that civilians were trying to acquire shotguns from their cruisers. When #### hits the fan, people want to protect themselves. 
People want the illusion of protection.

The only way a shotgun would have protected anyone there was if they were in the same room as the shooter.

If Vegas isn't a good enough example for you of why freely available automatic assault rifles are a bad idea, I just can't help you. 

What I don’t get is the guys who are pushing hard on the notion that the 2nd amendment allows me to have fully automatic M16 assault rifles.   Nobody needs that ####.  

As usual, Otis is two doors down from reality. :lol:  

I think a good compromise (or at least a good start) is to ban all magazines over 30 rounds. I haven't really seen a good reason yet on why you would need more than 30 rounds.

Yes, there will still be illegal magazines out there that are larger than 30 rounds but banning them is a start. Make it mandatory jail time if found with one.
Agree 100% 

The exacerbating factors here that were outside the "norm" of what most civilians own are: 

- bump fire stock for ease of simulated automatic rate of fire

- 100rd magazines 

Neither of those things are owned by most gun owners, and there's no reason for them to be legal. I used to be against making them illegal but I've come around on that. I'm good with a ban on any enhancements that simulate automatic rate of fire, and a ban on any mags over the standard 30rds. I think we should see that come down. 

People want the illusion of protection.

The only way a shotgun would have protected anyone there was if they were in the same room as the shooter.
They didn't know where the shots were coming from real-time. For all they knew there were multiple shooters and they were on the ground.

A year after it passes a crazy white male who was upset with his government killed 180 (that number could be wrong) via a bombing. You can't stop crazy. 
To be fair though, there really wasn't internet then. Much easier now to buy gun parts, do gun research, etc.

To be fair though, there really wasn't internet then. Much easier now to buy gun parts, do gun research, etc.
You realize he was capable of "building" as massive bomb that was able to destroy a building without the information provided by internet? Think that info was easier to get than info about guns? You can walk into almost any legit gun school and the guy behind the counter will do his best to educate you on what is available. 

Users who are viewing this thread